Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MultiTrack DAW Opinions

2»

Comments

• @wim said:

@rickwaugh said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    I have a tendency to confuse this app (by Harmonic Dog?) with the Multitrack Recorder app by 4Pockets which also makes Meteor.

Any comparisons between this app and the 4Pockets multitrackers?

Very different beasts. 4Pockets is prettier certainly. Not sure if there is a standalone version, but the one I was looking at was meant to run as an AU unit inside something like AUM. MTD is a standalone DAW. But it does the job, low memory footprint, very NOT buggy from the reviews I’ve seen of it, (4Pockets has some quibbles from folks,) and the dev is very responsive. These are all things I like. He’s going to bring in automation, he’s talking about thsi summer, and if that’s so it would pretty much fill my basic DAW needs completely.

Automation ... meh. What this needs before anything else is the ability to follow MIDI clock and song position pointer. If it just had that one thing, I'd use MTD for all audio, and I'd have the perfect companion for Xequence 2. Such a great app, but gets little use here since I can't effectively coordinate it with anything else.

Lol. If I cared about midi, perhaps. I’ve gone back to completely audio only. And automation is pretty gold there. I started recording in the days when mixdown involved half dozen people sitting there manually pushing faders up and down during the mixdown. Automation is all I’m missing right now from this. I just recorded an acoustic guitar part this morning with overdubs and it was a treat. No lag whatsover. I love Auria, but it might just have gotten a little to big and complex for the current hardware. If I start to do midi, I’ll go back there, but for now, life’s good.

• @rickwaugh said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    I have a tendency to confuse this app (by Harmonic Dog?) with the Multitrack Recorder app by 4Pockets which also makes Meteor.

Any comparisons between this app and the 4Pockets multitrackers?

Very different beasts. 4Pockets is prettier certainly. Not sure if there is a standalone version, but the one I was looking at was meant to run as an AU unit inside something like AUM. MTD is a standalone DAW. But it does the job, low memory footprint, very NOT buggy from the reviews I’ve seen of it, (4Pockets has some quibbles from folks,) and the dev is very responsive. These are all things I like. He’s going to bring in automation, he’s talking about thsi summer, and if that’s so it would pretty much fill my basic DAW needs completely.

Meteor is 4Pocket's standalone multitrack recorder, which I recently realized I already own. Yay, appholism.

Thanks for the response. Will keep my eye on the Harmonic Dog app if Meteor is a fail. I was using Cubasis as my audio multitracker on iPad until I found a problem w/ panning - input to the audio interface always showed up on the left and the panning setting would not fix that.

I bought the 4Pockets AU multitracker with the intention of capturing audio while jamming in AUM, with the idea of exporting audio stems from it to a standalone multitracker.

• I love Multitrack DAW. It fits perfectly for the quick tracking/importing then processing tasks I want to do just before Koala. I always have it as my input in Audiobus just before Koala as a processor and then grab playing audio in Koala using a pad controller.

The built in effects are great and do 99% of the work, then hosting AUs does the last 1%.

• I also like this DAW, been using it a lot with apps that have their own song modes (digistix, digikeys etc) as a DIY groovebox. With the AU support you can then record live instruments around the output and it is nice not to see any MIDI in the workflow for a change.

The update also fixes the Bluetooth bug I reported so I can continue to use it in bed without disturbing anyone :)

• Personally, I’ve never found a more straightforward solution than GarageBand. There’s no such thing as “perfect” for every instance, but I’ve stuck with it (versus transitioning to Logic Pro on desktop) and it has enough power and flexibility for 90-95% of what I need.

• @NeuM said:
    Personally, I’ve never found a more straightforward solution than GarageBand. There’s no such thing as “perfect” for every instance, but I’ve stuck with it (versus transitioning to Logic Pro on desktop) and it has enough power and flexibility for 90-95% of what I need.

100 %

• @Sam23 said:

@NeuM said:
    Personally, I’ve never found a more straightforward solution than GarageBand. There’s no such thing as “perfect” for every instance, but I’ve stuck with it (versus transitioning to Logic Pro on desktop) and it has enough power and flexibility for 90-95% of what I need.

100 %

👍

• @rs2000 said:

@McD said:
    Now is the time of our discontent.

@wim said:
    What this needs before anything else is the ability to follow MIDI clock and song position pointer.

Can any DAW do that with Xequence as the master clock? @j_liljedahl wrote that it's not possible to have a clock and sync to another. It's the DAW in a DAW problem. Ableton Link was hoped to solve this problem but didn't I think. Sync is still broken on IOS in this area.

Are you sure he meant it that way?
    If course it's not possible to mix the internal clock with a different external clock in a useful way but a DAW can always be a clock master or slave to an external clock.
    Ableton is one of the better examples (if you set it to low clock latency).
    The tricky part is to sync audio tracks to stay in sync with external clock but it's entirely possible, albeit with somewhat higher CPU load. Apps like Loopy HD or Blocs Wave can do realtime-stretching of audio clips already, unfortunately most DAWs cannot - most likely because developers are afraid of power users complaining or not being ready to accept that in slave mode, a DAW will need more CPU power.
    Same for LINK. It doesn't matter if it is the LINK clock or the MIDI clock that could change over time, the audio tracks will always have to be time-compressed or stretched in order to run in sync with the beat.

Sync is not broken on iOS, it's just broken in a number of apps.

Edit: When syncing Xequence 2 to Loopy HD, make sure that:
    In Loopy HD, enable Settings > Clock Sync > MIDI Sync = On and Clock Source = Virtual MIDI.
    In Xeq2's MIDI setup page, choose Loopy HD as a MIDI destination and enable 'Sync' and 'Absolute'.

Multitrack Daw don’t have time stretch?

• @Dizzy_the_Kid said:
    Multitrack Daw don’t have time stretch?

Correct.