Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to import a MIDI file and loop it? (AUM Setup)

To my disappointment it seems that Atom doesn’t load MIDI files.

So I play the MIDI file in NS2, but I can’t seem to get it to output MIDI into AUM, though NS2 is exporting MIDI to Network Session and AUM channels, there seems to be no MIDI coming in to AUM.

If you’ve managed to accomplish this, how did you do it?

Comments

• @craftycurate said:

So I play the MIDI file in NS2, but I can’t seem to get it to output MIDI into AUM, though NS2 is exporting MIDI to Network Session and AUM channels, there seems to be no MIDI coming in to AUM.

Photon loads midi files and loops them

• edited January 2020

@craftycurate said:

The only/best thing out there now is Photon.. Do need an upgrade, but it does import/export midi... and it’s Auv3..

Edit....@espiegel123...echo..

• I wonder if BeatHawk can do this.
    I can import a MIDI file:

And when I double-tap on the file, I get this popup:

But I have yet to find how I can load it to a pattern or song.

• About ATOM and the potential chance to translate between aupreset and MIDI files:

aupreset files saved by ATOM are in XML format.
    Note data looks like this (excerpt):

comp
    5645454B6D70726F61756D69
    state

Clip Duration
    Clip Index
    Clip Sequence

AAAAAAAAHkCQSGRrAQAAAAAAAAAAAB9AgEhkggIAAAAAAAAAAAAYQJBIZIAC
    AAAAAAAAAAAAGUCASGQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAkEhkAAAAAAAAAAAAAADgP4BI
    ZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFECQSGQAAAAAAAAAAAAAABVAgEhkAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa
    QJBIZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG0CASGQAAAAAAAAAAAAAABxAkEhkAAAAAAAAAAAA
    AAAdQIBIZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEECQSGQAAAAAAAAAAAAAABJAgEhkAAAAAAAA
    AAAAAAAWQJBIZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAF0CASGQAAAAAAA==

etc.

Now if @blueveek would enlighten us what the cryptic data actually means (it represents 8 notes, all with the same pitch in this case), converting MIDI files to something ATOM can load might be an option.
    For the die-hard iOS users that cannot use a Mac or Win machine, that is ;)

• @craftycurate To answer your original question (sorry that I got it wrong at first):
    In NS2, switch to the mixer view and on your MIDI track(s) of choice, hit 'MIDI FX'.
    Add @blueveek's 'MIDI Route' MIDi plugin and set the destination knob to 'AUM'.
    In AUM make sure ATOM is set to receive from AUM's MIDI input. (tap the hamburger menu next to the ATOM icon).
    Now you can record the notes played in the chosen NS2 track(s) inside AUM > ATOM.

• @rs2000 said:
    @craftycurate To answer your original question (sorry that I got it wrong at first):
    In NS2, switch to the mixer view and on your MIDI track(s) of choice, hit 'MIDI FX'.
    In AUM make sure ATOM is set to receive from AUM's MIDI input. (tap the hamburger menu next to the ATOM icon).
    Now you can record the notes played in the chosen NS2 track(s) inside AUM > ATOM.

Brilliant thanks! I have Mozaic and BeatHawk so I’ll give those a try :)

• @craftycurate said:

@rs2000 said:
    @craftycurate To answer your original question (sorry that I got it wrong at first):

Hi, @craftycurate

I wonder if you were able to use any app to load .mid files and play through AUM?
    Any insights would be helpful!

• @rs2000 said:
    I wonder if BeatHawk can do this.
    I can import a MIDI file:

And when I double-tap on the file, I get this popup:

But I have yet to find how I can load it to a pattern or song.

Hi @rs2000,

did you have any success using BeatHawk to play .mid files?
    For me it just loads it into pad, so no sound, obviously. And I can’t find a way to import it into Pattern.

• @Liudesis said:

@craftycurate said:

@rs2000 said:

Hi, @craftycurate

I wonder if you were able to use any app to load .mid files and play through AUM?
    Any insights would be helpful!

From memory, I got the MIDI file loaded into NS2 but could't find a way to route it into AUM, despite trying all the usual things. I think I left it at that point. Sorry i don't have much help to offer here!

• NS2 can send MIDI directly to AUM. Set AUM as the destination for your midi track and make sure NS has “background audio” enabled under settings>audio.

• edited January 2021

@Liudesis said:

Hi @rs2000,

For me it just loads it into pad, so no sound, obviously. And I can’t find a way to import it into Pattern.

No but during last year, LK has evolved into the best clip-based MIDI sequencer AUv3 so far.
    To import a MIDI file in Matrix view, just tap-hold a clip and choose import Midi.
    It will also import long MIDI files and I like the piano roll better than the one in BeatHawk.

@syrupcore said:
    NS2 can send MIDI directly to AUM. Set AUM as the destination for your midi track and make sure NS has “background audio” enabled under settings>audio.

NS2 is one of the best when it comes to importing and mapping multitrack MIDI files to tracks.

• @rs2000 said:

@Liudesis said:

Hi @rs2000,

No but during last year, LK has evolved into the best clip-based MIDI sequencer AUv3 so far.
    To import a MIDI file in Matrix view, just tap-hold a clip and choose import Midi.
    It will also import long MIDI files and I like the piano roll better than the one in BeatHawk.

@syrupcore said:
    NS2 can send MIDI directly to AUM. Set AUM as the destination for your midi track and make sure NS has “background audio” enabled under settings>audio.

NS2 is one of the best when it comes to importing and mapping multitrack MIDI files to tracks.

That’s good to know. I’ll give it another go next time I’m working with MIDI files. Thanks!