Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to delete orphaned data after deleting an app

I just discovered that an app that I deleted left behind a few hundred megabytes of data in the shared group storage for the app family of the deleted app.

I had added quite a few large IRs to Convolutor Pro and I need to reclaim the space since I won't be using them. Convolutor Pro doesn't have any file management. I hoped that deleting the app would remove the data. So, I deleted the app. Rebooted and reinstalled the app -- only to find that the IRs are still there.

I was told that I could use iMazing to delete the data, but the data seems accessible in the backups but not on the live device.

Does anyone know if there is a way to remove the orphaned data?

Comments

• if the app is installed, sometimes you can go to settings > iPad Storage, find the app, then it will show a list of the documents associated with the app. Not all apps do. NanoStudio 2 is one that does, for instance.

Failing that, long ago I read about a trick that worked successfully at the time. It involved trying to download a free movie from the iTunes Store (I used Lawrence of Arabia .. 4+ hours long), larger than the remaining storage. This caused iOS to do cleanup of junk files. The movie, being too large never downloaded, and the result was recovery of more than 4gb of storage.

That was several years ago, so I don’t know if it even still works, or if it would apply to “orphaned” files.

Of course there’s always the nuclear option ... wipe and restore.

Sorry, no other ideas.

I assume you’ve flushed “Recently Deleted” in the files app already.

• @wim said:
    if the app is installed, sometimes you can go to settings > iPad Storage, find the app, then it will show a list of the documents associated with the app. Not all apps do. NanoStudio 2 is one that does, for instance.

Failing that, long ago I read about a trick that worked successfully at the time. It involved trying to download a free movie from the iTunes Store (I used Lawrence of Arabia .. 4+ hours long), larger than the remaining storage. This caused iOS to do cleanup of junk files. The movie, being too large never downloaded, and the result was recovery of more than 4gb of storage.

That was several years ago, so I don’t know if it even still works, or if it would apply to “orphaned” files.

Of course there’s always the nuclear option ... wipe and restore.

Sorry, no other ideas.

I assume you’ve flushed “Recently Deleted” in the files app already.

Unfortunately, they don't count as deleted files because the files weren't exposed to Files. I deleted the app and apparently the way that the app stores files, they don't get deleted with the app because they all of the developer's apps are registered as a group or something.

So, it doesn't seem to be a matter of purging deleted files but finding a way of deleting the files. The developer suggested using iMazing, but as far as I can tell, it can delete the files from backups but not the live device. But maybe there is some way of doing it and I just don't know how.

I may resort to deleting all of the developer's apps and reinstalling.

• @espiegel123 said:
    I may resort to deleting all of the developer's apps and reinstalling.

If the data is stored as part of an App Group then that, unfortunately, won't help because iOS doesn't do a cleanup when the last app in the group gets deleted.

If Convolutor Pro doesn't have the ability to delete the files then there's literally no way to get rid of them short of wiping the device.

This has been a problem with a set of AU's I've been developing: they're in an App Group so they can share data, but if you delete them all then that shared data remains on the device. I've had to resort to putting a clean-up option in the settings of the containing app so you could get it to wipe everything before deleting the app.

• Korg's stuff works the same way, once you delete the final app that uses that shared location that shared location goes away. That's not working? full disclosure I'm not a developer so I have no idea if that's something you need to build into an app or if Apple has a framework for this already... which would make more sense. I'd hope :(

• Sorry, what I said there was not correct. If the IRs are saved as files that are common to the group, then when you delete the last app in the group iOS will clean up those files. So no need to wipe the device, just delete all the apps that are part of the group.

The issues I've been seeing relate to user defaults within a group, and I can't imagine something like an IR file being stored that way.

• edited January 2020

@AlanC3 said:
    Sorry, what I said there was not correct. If the IRs are saved as files that are common to the group, then when you delete the last app in the group iOS will clean up those files. So no need to wipe the device, just delete all the apps that are part of the group.

The issues I've been seeing relate to user defaults within a group, and I can't imagine something like an IR file being stored that way.

Thanks for the clarification. It appears like it might be the case that all apps by the developer are in that one app group -- not just the convolution apps.

I guess all delete them all and re-install the ones that don't have IRs.