Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Kontakt: Use it? Ableton comments as well.

1st: I ended up with Kontact on my Mac. Forget when and why, in the last couple months.

Before I figure out how to uninstall it, I wanted to check in with the family here.

Do you use it?

For what?

Why is a good tool as opposed to other things?

While we are here, are you aware of the cheapest place to snag a full version of Ableton these days?

I came up with Acid and Soundforge, really only using the Lite version and transitioned to iOS for recording.

But I am considering the benefits of recording in Ableton now that majority of my sounds are coming from hardware except for keys and a handful of instrument apps.

Regards!

Comments

• Kontakt is the defacto standard for libraries.
    Ableton is an overhyped overpriced resource hog with limited features unless you buy Suite, even then there is little to recommend it at the cost, other than "XYZ Youtuber recommends it"
    If you can afford to buy Suite and a fast computer, it is a great performance/sound design tool, poor traditional DAW though.

• I think Kontakt has a scripting language, similar in some ways to Mozaic, to increase functionality. I think most commercially-available Kontakt libraries utilize the Kontakt script to bring the "magic" that they do. Komplete Start is free to download and offers a few intro Kontakt instruments. Kinetic Treats/Toys is fun/interesting. I like how some Kontakt instruments try to add visual elements, or have unique knobs that offer increased/easier tweakability.

Beyond that, I think it has the ability to make your own sampler instruments, has wavetable oscillators, and modulation routing. I wouldn't buy it unless I felt I needed it for some serious project.

• Love Ableton - runs fine on my 11 year old PC, and 8 year old Macbook Pro. My favourite DAW of all time - and I've got through most of them over the years.

Kontakt I use mainly for the custom software that's written to run in it - in particular the HG Sounds software, which is great.

• I use Kontakt daily. it is the workhorse for every kind of instrument library you can think of. One of the best things i have purchased. the full version offers endless possibilities for sampling and playback.
    As far a recording. Abelton is cool, in a non linear type of recording style. I’d recommend Cubase. has everything you need. for more of a linear recording environment. They have several versions you can upgrade as your skills develop.

• I have Komplete 11, which includes Kontakt and I love it. I can't say that I use it every day, because I don't produce music daily, but I do use it for a lot when I do produce.

This dude is on point with Kontakt programming, sampling, and scripting.

I also only have the Lite Version of Ableton and would love to have a full version. I can do a lot with the 8 track limits utilizing the drum rack.

• I just use the free kontakt player and buy 3rd party libraries for it when on big sales

You can find good deals on used Ableton licences on Kvr marketplace. I’ve had a good experience going that route a few years back.

I’ve bought and sold then later rebought Ableton like 3 or 4 times since I first purchased it when Live6 debuted. LOL
    I keep coming back. It is crack for composition. It’s crazy deep, I hardly scratch the surface with what I do.

• If I remember correctly, Ableton has two or three big sales per year. I think I bought Live 8 in October 2012 at 50% off then upgraded to Suite the following March for 50% again? I obviously haven’t kept up with prices since then though.

You should have a great time with Standard since you’re using hardware and apps. Like others have said, it’s quite addictive as a compositional tool.

• @Turntablist said:
    Kontakt is the defacto standard for libraries.
    Ableton is an overhyped overpriced resource hog with limited features unless you buy Suite, even then there is little to recommend it at the cost, other than "XYZ Youtuber recommends it"
    If you can afford to buy Suite and a fast computer, it is a great performance/sound design tool, poor traditional DAW though.

Yeah, yeah, wondering more about Kontakt...what is its value?

It is just a sample player?

Ableton I just don't see the value for the money since I don't use any virtual instruments anyway.

I can record in iOS just fine.

• @ruggedsmooth said:
    I just use the free kontakt player and buy 3rd party libraries for it when on big sales

You can find good deals on used Ableton licences on Kvr marketplace. I’ve had a good experience going that route a few years back.

I’ve bought and sold then later rebought Ableton like 3 or 4 times since I first purchased it when Live6 debuted. LOL
    I keep coming back. It is crack for composition. It’s crazy deep, I hardly scratch the surface with what I do.

Cool!

THanks

• @jrjulius said:
    If I remember correctly, Ableton has two or three big sales per year. I think I bought Live 8 in October 2012 at 50% off then upgraded to Suite the following March for 50% again? I obviously haven’t kept up with prices since then though.

You should have a great time with Standard since you’re using hardware and apps. Like others have said, it’s quite addictive as a compositional tool.

Appreciate ya

• There is no way around Kontakt if you want choice and quality in sampled instruments.
    I prefer not to comment much about Ableton because DAWs are a highly personal choice, I'll just say that Ableton live and Logic Pro X are the two DAWs that, to me, have the fewest road blocks when I want to realize a new idea.
    When I launch a DAW, I do it with a purpose in mind and the easier that is to achieve, the better. Ableton is an interesting example of hiding a lot of power behind a boring and mundane user interface, yet it's insanely powerful.

Anyway, I have my own collection of highly reduced instruments in Gadget and NS2 that are counterparts of the full versions in Kontakt, and if I feel like I need the full-specced instrument, I can always export my project to Ableton (or Logic) and continue there.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Love Ableton - runs fine on my 11 year old PC, and 8 year old Macbook Pro. My favourite DAW of all time - and I've got through most of them over the years.

Kontakt I use mainly for the custom software that's written to run in it - in particular the HG Sounds software, which is great.

This exactly. Runs fine on older PC’s, don’t believe the FUD. I’ve been using it since version 2. Version 10 is running great on my old 3770K. Will Ableton/Push forever.

I use kontakt like Monzo does. I have Komplete Ultimate, so basically all sample libraries leverage it. BUT, I don’t use it as a straight up sampler, I use Ableton for that. I prefer to keep everything I can within Ableton.

• @rs2000 said:
    Ableton is an interesting example of hiding a lot of power behind a boring and mundane user interface, yet it's insanely powerful.

In simple terms what are you thinking about when you refer to it as 'insanely powerful'?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@rs2000 said:
    Ableton is an interesting example of hiding a lot of power behind a boring and mundane user interface, yet it's insanely powerful.

In simple terms what are you thinking about when you refer to it as 'insanely powerful'?

Price..... ;)

• edited January 2020

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@rs2000 said:

I’d agree with rs2000.

It’s probably the most powerful DAW I have, yet the plainest looking. When you start loading up Samplers, fx, MIDI sequencers and Max fx you start to realise what a powerful thing it is.

And that clean, simple interface really comes into its own once you dig in and start working - no clutter, no fancy graphics to slow down your computer, and it works just as well on a small screen.

I’m extremely chuffed with it (as you can probably tell), and at last have a workspace I can settle down with, instead of looking over my shoulder at the latest shiny DAW on the market.

Wincing at the price of a Push2, but I reckon I’ll get one eventually as I’ll be using it for years.

• edited January 2020

@MonzoPro said:

Wincing at the price of a Push2, but I reckon I’ll get one eventually as I’ll be using it for years.

I don't use mine near enough (yet), but it's one of my favorite pieces of kit. Quality made, and the integration is a dream.

• @Liquidmantis said:

@MonzoPro said:

I don't use mine near enough (yet), but it's one of my favorite pieces of kit. Quality made, and the integration is a dream.

I’ve got a Maschine Mk3 that I don’t really use (though it is employed as an audio interface), and a load of other kit I don’t use - it’s a bit of a MIDI controller graveyard here at the moment, and I’m worried I’d end up adding the (expensive) Push 2 to the pile.

Maybe I’ll bite the bullet and sell some old kit, then I won’t feel so bad about buying new stuff!

• @MonzoPro said:

@Liquidmantis said:

@MonzoPro said:

I’ve got a Maschine Mk3 that I don’t really use (though it is employed as an audio interface), and a load of other kit I don’t use - it’s a bit of a MIDI controller graveyard here at the moment, and I’m worried I’d end up adding the (expensive) Push 2 to the pile.

Maybe I’ll bite the bullet and sell some old kit, then I won’t feel so bad about buying new stuff!

Good insight Monz. I haven't got far with Ableton yet, but it can patently run everything. Back in the far distance I am still quite happy playing with the MK3 interface (software) which looks like a pale imitation of Ableton, still making odd stuff however.

Hard one on selling the hardware. Seems most folks end up missing what they sell (unless they flat out hate it of course....).

• The limiting factor of a maschine in comparison to push, IMO, is the 8x8 layout. I can’t do squat with a 4x4 other than play drums. Playing “music” is pretty difficult with just 16 pads. I don’t even use a regular keyboard with my desktop anymore. Everything is played via push.

• @ruggedsmooth said:
    I just use the free kontakt player and buy 3rd party libraries for it when on big sales

Any tips on libraries for the free player?

• @gusgranite said:

@ruggedsmooth said:

Any tips on libraries for the free player?

Tips how? One that are good?, freebies?

I’m fairly new to kontakt world. All the free sample libraries seem to be only for the FULL version of kontakt and not the free player ( I think it costs more for developers ).

But for paid libraries I have bought a lot of OrangeTreeSample guitar and bass instruments when they do a yearly group sale for 60% off or more.
    Also bought a couple Embertone libraries, A Steinway piano lite and the intimate strings.
    I just wait for BlackFriday or holiday deals.

I’m not that big of a fan of the kontakt interface though. That’s one negative for me.
    Also it seems more companies are starting to create their own “player” software to not be dependent on Kontakt anymore. Just a couple things to think about.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@rs2000 said:

Fast mapping of any control to keyboard shortcuts.
    Fast mapping of any control to MIDI messages.
    A quality choice of effects that sound great.
    A quality choice of instruments (Suite), including an FM synth, a wavetable synth, an electric piano, physical modeling modules from AAS, the best in this area.
    Audio-to-MIDI detection that works better than in any DAW I've seen before.
    Great MIDI remote controller support with most common products supported out-of-the-box, but you can add any controller with a bit of Python scripting.
    Great Novation Launchpad support for live jamming and clip launching (even more can be done by 3rd-party Max4Live add-ons).
    Audio warping by moving just the slices you want.
    Full Ableton LINK support.
    Import of iOS projects (stems, MIDI or both) from a lot of iOS apps.
    MIDi clock sync support (Master and Slave!) that can be adjusted to respond fast or slow.
    Many iOS apps with remote control facilities (Lemur, LK, TouchAble Pro etc.)
    A huge collection of free and commercial Max4Live scripts that can do "anything".
    A fast file browser with sample and loop preview, including OGG Vorbis, REX/RX2 and folder support.
    The freedom to choose between clip/pattern-based or linear arrangement or a combination of both.
    A Crossfader function that allows for DJ-style live jams.
    Racks that allow you to combine multiple plugins or internal FX into one encapsulated unit with macro knobs that can control an arbitrary amount of parameters bi-directionally.
    Drum and melodic samplers that couldn't be faster to create instruments with.
    Audio and MIDi routing per track.
    A large user community that will find bugs you never dreamed of, and Ableton are usually gonna fix them.
    I'll stop here, I'm tired now 😅

• BTW @JohnnyGoodyear Many use the Maschine software as a plugin inside Ableton.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Liquidmantis said:

@MonzoPro said:

Good insight Monz. I haven't got far with Ableton yet, but it can patently run everything. Back in the far distance I am still quite happy playing with the MK3 interface (software) which looks like a pale imitation of Ableton, still making odd stuff however.

Hard one on selling the hardware. Seems most folks end up missing what they sell (unless they flat out hate it of course....).

Don’t think I’d sell the Mk3, the MIDI keyboards might go though.

If you load the Kontrol VST into Live, then you can browse and load Komplete VST’s, and control them via the Mk3 - as all the buttons are automatically mapped.

• @drez said:
    The limiting factor of a maschine in comparison to push, IMO, is the 8x8 layout. I can’t do squat with a 4x4 other than play drums. Playing “music” is pretty difficult with just 16 pads. I don’t even use a regular keyboard with my desktop anymore. Everything is played via push.

Yeah that’s a bonus, as I wouldn’t need a keyboard hooked up as well.

Pipe dream for me though, my cash is earmarked for a new desktop and iPad this year.

• edited January 2020

If I had the choice between losing Ableton or a kidney I would be typing this from the operating table.

It’s only a cpu hog if a person didn’t get it from an official source. In that case the person might want to check their electricity bill. Bitcoin mining for a third party isn’t very cost effective.

Ableton is most definitely a toy, just wish I could afford the Lego to go with it. I’ve got a few bananas!

• @rs2000 that was a great list of its features.

One of the most powerful functions are grouping objects and creating multiple chains you can combine, switch between based on velocity/key whatever. Drum racks are amazing. Easiest way to layer drums and effects chains.

• @rs2000 Thank you! I have printed your list out and now you shall live forever! :)

• edited January 2020

I love everything about Ableton and find it a huge bonus that my favorite iOS daws and grooveboxes interface well with It via link, project export. (Touchable Pro for iPad is the next best thing to having an Ableton Push - even better in some ways)

I’ve been getting more heavily invested in desktop software in general lately - Omnisphere, Soundtoys bundle and Reason VST Rack (Reason 11 upgrade) being my most recent holiday purchases.

These have certainly tamed my impulse to buy more hardware, and I was thrilled to find that my Deepmind 12 is now among the synths supporting HW integration with Omnisphere. It’ll likely be the last software or HW synth I’ll buy for the foreseeable future; it definitely earns the hype.

• I use Live 9 standard and the latest version of Kontakt. I have played with the Kontakt library and some of the add ons and they are nice but take up space and are redundant for me. Kontakt as a sampler is fantastic. Time stretch is good, its got lfos, filters, effects (inserts and more places to add effects, its multi timbral, if your DAW can support the midi and that's about what i do with it. It's my go to sampler and it can get much deeper with it's scripting capabilities. It's very capable for sound design and for me the GUI clicks. As mentioned there are an infinite amount of libraries out there, free and paid. Having used several, several hard ware and software samplers, IMHO Kontakt is the best. Ableton is DAW but it has several advantages. You get a lot of powerful instruments and effects with the standard version and the library isn't bad. Session mode is another that lets you put together loops and trigger them in real time and you can continue adding tracks and jamming. Then you can arrange it in Arrangement mode or just use this mode as a linear sequencer. Ableton works well for electronic musicians with its track warp (with different engines) , it also has audio quantization, audio to midi notes, and automation options to keep any one happy. It's tied with Reason 11 for my fave DAWS for a one man show. When I was recording live bands I prefered Studio One but that might be off topic.

Either way you are asking about two out standing pieces of software. I don't have max for Live so some one else will have to tell you about that.