Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking for a simple, lightweight, stable sample player AUv3

All I need is:

= load a single sample, adjust root note
= map it either chromatically to the keyboard, or map note number to sample offset so I get 128 equally spaced "slices"
= mapping a MIDI CC to fine-tune sample offset would be a bonus

I know that AudioLayer can probably do this, but I wanted to look for a possible simple alternative first.

Thanks!

Comments

• That’s pretty much exactly what i am looking for too. Hope such an app emerge one day.

• I don’t have it myself, but isn’t that what Chameleon from 4pockets is supposed to be?

• @marmakin said:
    I don’t have it myself, but isn’t that what Chameleon from 4pockets is supposed to be?

I saw that as the first Google hit, but was turned off by the "analog" meters wasting a huge amount of space.

• There was that Samplist app. Dev used to hang around the forum.

• @SevenSystems said:

@marmakin said:
    I don’t have it myself, but isn’t that what Chameleon from 4pockets is supposed to be?

I saw that as the first Google hit, but was turned off by the "analog" meters wasting a huge amount of space.

Those "analog" meters triggered sense of nostalgia and I ended up buying most of their (IMHO) very good products. :D

• edited January 2020

@SevenSystems said:
    All I need is:

= map it either chromatically to the keyboard, or map note number to sample offset so I get 128 equally spaced "slices"

I know that AudioLayer can probably do this, but I wanted to look for a possible simple alternative first.

Thanks!

I would recommend AudioLayer nonetheless because it's compact and efficient, just the way you like it 🤗

Other than that, Obsidian in NS2 is great for this

map it either chromatically to the keyboard, or map note number to sample offset so I get 128 equally spaced "slices"

because in Obsidian, the MIDI note number can be used as a modulator for either sample or loop start point.

Only Obsidian can map CC# to fine tune, AL is very weak on the control side.
    AL doesn't even show its params as an AUv3 (except a few nonsense Fx parameters) so that's what you get.

• edited January 2020

@rs2000 said:

@SevenSystems said:
    All I need is:

Thanks!

I would recommend AudioLayer nonetheless because it's compact and efficient, just the way you like it 🤗

map it either chromatically to the keyboard, or map note number to sample offset so I get 128 equally spaced "slices"

because in Obsidian, the MIDI note number can be used as a modulator for either sample or loop start point.

AL doesn't even show its params as an AUv3 (except a few nonsense Fx parameters) so that's what you get.

Homie wants an AU. (Maybe to help him work on writing his DAW ;) )

• edited January 2020

@rs2000 said:

@SevenSystems said:
    All I need is:

Thanks!

OK, that sounds like a good idea then!

But it's not AUv3!!!!!!!!!11111 😁 (sorry, never thought I would some day say something like that)

Yes I know, I was the one who originally proposed that feature for NS1's Eden 😊 (the "Note Slice" knob)

OK, I might then give Audio tracks in Xequence a higher priority altogether 🤪

• @AudioGus said:

@rs2000 said:

@SevenSystems said:
    All I need is:

Thanks!

Homie wants an AU. (Maybe to help him work on writing his DAW ;) )

DAWhat? 😜

• @SevenSystems said:

Be prepared to be treated like a new god if you do!

• edited January 2020

@rs2000 said:

@SevenSystems said:

Also be prepared to be 'contacted' by those same people, each demanding a different thing which "ought to be a standard feature in any DAW in 2020". :D

• @brambos said:

@rs2000 said:

@SevenSystems said:

Also be prepared to be 'contacted' by those same people, each demanding a different thing which "ought to be a standard feature in any DAW in 2020". :D

I know, I know... thanks for the warning anyway :) I guess I might need an expert on how to, errr, understate a product so people don't overestimate it... kind of like an "anti-marketing pro"!

• @SevenSystems said:

@brambos said:

@rs2000 said:

@SevenSystems said:

I know, I know... thanks for the warning anyway :) I guess I might need an expert on how to, errr, understate a product so people don't overestimate it... kind of like an "anti-marketing pro"!

Indeed, hire an Expectation Manager.

• @SevenSystems said:

@brambos said:

@rs2000 said:

@SevenSystems said:

Ceci n‘est pas une DAW.

• If anyone can build an AUv3 clip launcher it's @Virsyn.

Th smart money's on @Virsyn. @j_liljedahl could make it a feature inside AUM
    but he's already got issues with timing between 2 apps that own the clock so
    he'll pass on the headaches.

It would make Xequence unique if it could add clips to the timeline and control the
    clock yet still send MIDI out to the usual Apps for extra audio. But who owns the Mixing?
    If Xequence connects to AUM with AudioBus or IAA (being deprecated) then AUM can be the
    mixer but who controls Mastering for the purists?

The Uber-DAW helps sync issues and one transport control point but
    timing aligned Clip launching is tricky. Once solved the Uber-DAW needs
    a way to Master final products but the Live folks will take clip launching in the Xequence
    timeline as a start.

An AUv3 Clip Launcher would be bigger than Drambo. Set the stopwatch... Go!
    I say 3 months to first blood.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@SevenSystems said:

@brambos said:

@rs2000 said:

@SevenSystems said:

Ceci n‘est pas une DAW.

There is always that.

‘Powerful music production environment’, dun!

• @AudioGus said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:

@SevenSystems said:

@brambos said:

@rs2000 said:

@SevenSystems said:

Ceci n‘est pas une DAW.

There is always that.

‘Powerful music production environment’, dun!

Digital Audio Cassette.

• @SevenSystems said:

@brambos said:

@rs2000 said:

@SevenSystems said:

Although I’m always bothering you about adding audio tracks to xequence, I actually think it’s perfect the way it is. It’s just that there’s no other app that fills the gap of audio tracks that follow the xequence timeline so bothering you seems like the path of least resistance 😉

• @gregsmith said:

@SevenSystems said:

@brambos said:

@rs2000 said:

@SevenSystems said:

Although I’m always bothering you about adding audio tracks to xequence, I actually think it’s perfect the way it is. It’s just that there’s no other app that fills the gap of audio tracks that follow the xequence timeline so bothering you seems like the path of least resistance 😉

I am resisting the urge to send a barrage of ‘audio editing’ feature requests but will hold off as I am sure that isn’t the intended focus of the app... (...)

• @gregsmith said:

@SevenSystems said:

@brambos said:

@rs2000 said:

@SevenSystems said:

Audio tracks would certainly be the next step after finishing general AU support... my experience so far is pretty "mixed" (no pun intended). There's so many issues with most AUs and the whole "iOS / AU" system just doesn't feel very stable and predictable... desktop certainly is a lot more mature. (but we all knew that already.)

• @SevenSystems said:

@gregsmith said:

@SevenSystems said:

@brambos said:

@rs2000 said:

@SevenSystems said:

Audio tracks would certainly be the next step after finishing general AU support... my experience so far is pretty "mixed" (no pun intended). There's so many issues with most AUs and the whole "iOS / AU" system just doesn't feel very stable and predictable... desktop certainly is a lot more mature. (but we all knew that already.)

It's weird how a mechanism meant to be a de-facto standard has developed into much of a hit-and-miss affair on the way to more stable AUv3 plugins. I hope that the worst times are over but there are still so many music apps without AUv3 support although it would make perfect sense for them to support it. And the problems with doing AUv3 right and stable have gone far enough to make developers ask for extra money just to support AUv3.
    Weird as Apples that only look good from the front view.

• Samplist is IAA only

I like Chameleon for simple sampling

• Anything else in this area? Basically I'm looking for something like the Novation Launchpad app, but the samples/clips can be triggered by (non-launchpad) MIDI hardware, or other apps.

• drambo? the samplers are pretty fun

• @reasOne said:
    drambo? the samplers are pretty fun

this is cheating, Drambo is is first automatic aswer to 99.99% questions on this forum :trollface:

• edited April 2020

@dendy said:

@reasOne said:

this is cheating, Drambo is is first automatic aswer to 99.99% questions on this forum :trollface:

It is the answer though. Lightweight, flexible, strong sound.

The other day I needed multiple instances of a midi triggerable audio gate in AUM. Then I realized it could be done in Drambo by adding an ADSR after an audio input module.

OP, there are 3 samplers in Drambo. If you still need the chromatic play, the Flexi Sampler will work great.

• @dendy said:

@reasOne said:

hahaha i mean it kinda changed the ios sampling game real quick 🤣

• The 'AUv3 Sampler' included in ApeMatrix would cover a lot of ground if it had an option to reset the playhead on note-off!
    For now it's more like a tape-recorder that continues from the last position it had when it received a note-off message.

For one shots the AUv3 included in Auditor is quite nice but doesn't allow any pitch shifting yet.

Ableton could do wonders here and sell like hot-cakes if they released a Simpler AUv3...
    (For layering just use multiple instances etc. etc.).

• edited April 2020

I’m hoping Loop Find gets the AU treatment and some point as it has quite a bit of sample manipulation Amp, Effects, Filter, Pitch Control semi, Envelope, etc. With trigger, gate and switch modes Ok it’s a looper not a sampler but is good at mixing up pre existing samples.

• @rs2000 said:

@SevenSystems said:

Was laughing hard, long and heartily :) :D :p