Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Please recommend an iOS looper for ambient

13»

Comments

• @espiegel123 said:

@wim said:
    Humm ... not my experience. There is an indicator of the number of bars for each loop and every one is a multiple of the others for me, no matter how randomly I record. The user guide seems to indicate this is what happens too, but I could be reading it wrong.

I’ll try some more.

Did you turn on manual mode?

Yes, manual and instant.

@SimonSomeone said:
    •You do not need to be exact when punching in/out recordings. Loops will be automatically truncated/extended to syncronise precicely with the tempo and other loops in the session.

Indeed, that's what I see happening. GTL does let you un-quantized start and stop, but it seems to adjust loop lengths to keep them all with a common multiple of bars. That's a feature, and useful for most cases, but not as free-form as Loopy in that regard. Not a criticism of GTL, just an observation.

P.S. Thanks for the link to the user guide. I was getting tired of having to switch back and forth between it and trying things out with in-app user guide.

• @wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:
    Humm ... not my experience. There is an indicator of the number of bars for each loop and every one is a multiple of the others for me, no matter how randomly I record. The user guide seems to indicate this is what happens too, but I could be reading it wrong.

I’ll try some more.

Did you turn on manual mode?

Yes, manual and instant.

@SimonSomeone said:
    •You do not need to be exact when punching in/out recordings. Loops will be automatically truncated/extended to syncronise precicely with the tempo and other loops in the session.

Indeed, that's what I see happening. GTL does let you un-quantized start and stop, but it seems to adjust loop lengths to keep them all with a common multiple of bars. That's a feature, and useful for most cases, but not as free-form as Loopy in that regard. Not a criticism of GTL, just an observation.

P.S. Thanks for the link to the user guide. I was getting tired of having to switch back and forth between it and trying things out with in-app user guide.

Tx for the info.

• Re GTL yes, I did some further experiments, recording myself counting into a series of loops in one group. Some of my numbers were missing at the beginning or end of the resultant loop if I didn't start or finish on a bar point. So it wasn't quite as free as I suspected.

One interesting thing i did discover doing this though is that if there is audio input before and after the loop is recorded, the resulting loop will have a cross fade of about a second, so there will be no click, which was one of the OP's issues.

• New Loopers are slowly arriving for AUM:

AudioKit L7 - just updated to AUv3
    Enso - it reverses and pitch shifts - is reported to be buggy but its an AUv3 so treat carefully
    MIDI Loopers - "Atom"

and my favorite - the File Player in AUM that can be set to Loop. It also imports audio and can share any audio with AudioShare from the same developer... the immortal, hall of fame,
    first round draft pick, Heisman Trophy winner of IOS Development: @j_liljedahl. Coder of the
    Best App I have ever bought and refused to figure out: Gestrument Pro. Demos prove it
    a Hall of Fame App.

Where's this Hall of Fame you ask? Good question.

• edited January 2020

Sorry @McD, Hall told me about needing to go wc so excuse him...

Let’s hope he didn’t start looping.

• edited January 2020

I don’t think anyone’s mentioned RE-1. In overdub mode it will keep looping like a tape loop so there is no start click. You can also add some wow, flutter, saturation and a nice stereo widener to the loop. It is limited to 1 to 8 bars though.

• @TheDubbyLabby said:

I have made some of my finest creations in the wc. There's a typo on that last word above.

• @McD said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

I have made some of my finest creations in the wc. There's a typo on that last word above.

Where looping or him? I supposed Hall was a male name and the whole phrase from Let's to looping pure lotto. I think sometimes I know how to talk... and even english! :trollface:

• @Mark B said:
    I don’t think anyone’s mentioned RE-1. In overdub mode it will keep looping like a tape loop so there is no start click. You can also add some wow, flutter, saturation and a nice stereo widener to the loop. It is limited to 1 to 8 bars though.

This is how I do it when playing electric guitar. I have 3 instances of RE-1 fed by a bus in AUM. Then I can trigger each individual one to record as needed and send just my wet effects in to make pad type loops on the fly.

• edited May 2021

@Martinj said:
    Kosmonaut. Not painful at all, not frustrating, AUv3.

Only downside is, you need a MIDI controller to get loops longer than 8 beats and you are tied to beats.

I did a video explaining Frippertronics with Kosmonaut a while ago:

And this is a recent ambient improvisation with this setup:

That's a really cool vibe. Thanks for inspiration.

• @wolfsweat said:

@Mark B said:

This is how I do it when playing electric guitar. I have 3 instances of RE-1 fed by a bus in AUM. Then I can trigger each individual one to record as needed and send just my wet effects in to make pad type loops on the fly.

I’ve got a similar setup with another delay app. I’m curious about RE-1 though, is it possible to reverse the buffer in any way?

• You reverse and mangle the loop in quite a few interesting ways. The interface has a cool tape like UI that allows you to tap on it and drag the speed of playback around and pause it. It’s pretty nifty. Can also work as a more standard delay.

• Just looking through this thread, and thought it worth noting that, in the big gap between Jan 2020 and this month, Gauss was released, which is also worth a look. You can slow down loops and keep overdubbing, and it has a really quirky speed sequencer, wobble and inertia controls. And with loop decay, you can set up really long delays like Frippertronics with huge tape runs.

• Loopbud is cool for basses. Probably all sounds.

• I think Quantiloop is great for ambient. Its has loop decay great midi controls for a foot controller and input and output effects with trails. You can have tracks fade out too which is nice for ambient transitions.

• I’m getting really pleasing ambient results by layering sounds in Gauss. It can be free running or synced to host. Has some neat onboard fx. You can set fades on each pass for evolving live jams so things don’t start stacking up out of control in your loops. You can change the speed of recording on different passes. It’s been my best app purchase so far this year.

• @Spidericemidas said:
    You can set fades on each pass for evolving live jams so things don’t start stacking up out of control in your loops.

Ohhh that's so great, I've never noticed it! I like to use delays + feedback to do this, I'm so happy it's in Gauss (although I missed this option 😂). Thank you!

• edited June 2021

@jsmonzani said:

@Spidericemidas said:
    You can set fades on each pass for evolving live jams so things don’t start stacking up out of control in your loops.

Ohhh that's so great, I've never noticed it! I like to use delays + feedback to do this, I'm so happy it's in Gauss (although I missed this option 😂). Thank you!

The undo last recording button is brilliant too in live jams for dropping something in a while over your loop and then removing it for the next overlay of something else. Such a cool app.

• Gauss is outstanding as an ambient looper, no question about it. Can do some mad experimental stuff with it. If I could only have one app on my ipad, it would probably be Gauss

• @Spidericemidas said:
    The undo last recording button is brilliant too in live jams for dropping something in a while over your loop and then removing it for the next overlay of something else. Such a cool app.

Ah, pretty neat trick as well!

I used to MIDI loop and undo was an interesting way to remove parts you've added. Gotta try it out!

• I gave up with ios loopers just couldn't get what I needed from them and the ones I liked weren't stable
    The combo that works for me is layering and pre looping MIDI recording using Atom 2 and pushing this to the RC 505 looper loading single AUM sessions for the sounds I need it's like I'm getting the the best of both. My workflow is LP Pro > Lemur > AUM > App > FX > Atom > 505 + Guitars All processed through an iPad to the RC 505 mix and match load and layer

• @wexy said:
    I gave up with ios loopers just couldn't get what I needed from them and the ones I liked weren't stable
    The combo that works for me is layering and pre looping MIDI recording using Atom 2 and pushing this to the RC 505 looper loading single AUM sessions for the sounds I need it's like I'm getting the the best of both. My workflow is LP Pro > Lemur > AUM > App > FX > Atom > 505 + Guitars All processed through an iPad to the RC 505 mix and match load and layer

What are the limitations that the 505 covers?