Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Please recommend an iOS looper for ambient

TL;DR:
Asking for advice to find a iOS looper for live performance of ambient music. One that loops sustained tones without the clicks, variable on-the-fly loop lengths (not tied to beats), real-time control of feedback (0 to 100%), control of fade outs, and allows multiple instances in AUM.

I'm transitioning from an all-hardware setup (acoustic clarinet, with pickup, into guitar effects pedals--mostly Eventide) to a hybrid setup that merges iOS audio effects. I specifically am looking to replace my hardware loopers (two Pigtronix Infinities) with multiple loopers on an iPad. (No laptop). I've already figured out how to integrate the hardware and iOS apps, using iConnect 4 and AUM.

I prefer an app that can be hosted with multiple instances in AUM. Or maybe a couple different loopers for different functions.

I've done lots of reading and viewing. But I'm overwhelmed with the possibilities. I'm impressed by how helpful you people are on this forum, and how knowledgeable. I'm sure you can help me too.

Plus, the most recent "Best loopers for ambient" thread on this forum is a couple years old. I wouldn't mind if this turns into a general ambient looper discussion to help others with similar questions.

Steve
ThinAirX

«13

Comments

  • Enso would fit the bill except it can get iffy with multiple instances.

    Quantiloop is IAA but can host AU effects in the inputs and the outputs.

    There’s also the new L7 looper although that one is probably a bit too basic for your needs.

  • You want Ostinator.

  • @ThinAirX said:
    TL;DR:
    Asking for advice to find a iOS looper for live performance of ambient music. One that loops sustained tones without the clicks, variable on-the-fly loop lengths (not tied to beats), real-time control of feedback (0 to 100%), control of fade outs, and allows multiple instances in AUM.

    I'm transitioning from an all-hardware setup (acoustic clarinet, with pickup, into guitar effects pedals--mostly Eventide) to a hybrid setup that merges iOS audio effects. I specifically am looking to replace my hardware loopers (two Pigtronix Infinities) with multiple loopers on an iPad. (No laptop). I've already figured out how to integrate the hardware and iOS apps, using iConnect 4 and AUM.

    I prefer an app that can be hosted with multiple instances in AUM. Or maybe a couple different loopers for different functions.

    I've done lots of reading and viewing. But I'm overwhelmed with the possibilities. I'm impressed by how helpful you people are on this forum, and how knowledgeable. I'm sure you can help me too.

    Plus, the most recent "Best loopers for ambient" thread on this forum is a couple years old. I wouldn't mind if this turns into a general ambient looper discussion to help others with similar questions.

    Steve
    ThinAirX

    My $.02 worth, as I’ve tried just about everything that can loop. Stick with hardware. Yes , you will find people that were able to make an iOS setup work, but it will be painful, frustrating, etc.

    Those pigtronic loopers are awesome. Why would you not want them? I couldn’t use them for my purposes (electronic percussion) because they have a non-defeatable compressor/limiter that mucked with my sounds.

    If you use iOS, you’ll need/want hardware control/pedals. Getting it all to work will become a time suck most likely. I mean, maybe you’re a tech wizard and it will come together well for you, but...

    If you DO use iOS, LoopyHD is still the way to go. Route Loopy individual outs into AUM for Fx, etc.

  • @ThinAirX said:
    TL;DR:
    Asking for advice to find a iOS looper for live performance of ambient music. One that loops sustained tones without the clicks, variable on-the-fly loop lengths (not tied to beats), real-time control of feedback (0 to 100%), control of fade outs, and allows multiple instances in AUM.

    I'm transitioning from an all-hardware setup (acoustic clarinet, with pickup, into guitar effects pedals--mostly Eventide) to a hybrid setup that merges iOS audio effects. I specifically am looking to replace my hardware loopers (two Pigtronix Infinities) with multiple loopers on an iPad. (No laptop). I've already figured out how to integrate the hardware and iOS apps, using iConnect 4 and AUM.

    I prefer an app that can be hosted with multiple instances in AUM. Or maybe a couple different loopers for different functions.

    I've done lots of reading and viewing. But I'm overwhelmed with the possibilities. I'm impressed by how helpful you people are on this forum, and how knowledgeable. I'm sure you can help me too.

    Plus, the most recent "Best loopers for ambient" thread on this forum is a couple years old. I wouldn't mind if this turns into a general ambient looper discussion to help others with similar questions.

    Steve
    ThinAirX

    For multiple loops: Loopy. Loops loops can by synched or not synched. Can have lengths tied to a unit or completely independent. They can be reversed, overdubbed. Coordination of recording of new loops is built in and there is extensive possibilities for MIDI control. It also can have decaying loops (a la Frippertronics)

    You can use I dependent outs. An instance of Enso in the mix can be handy for additional fun for the kinds of manipulations it excels at.

  • Kosmonaut. Not painful at all, not frustrating, AUv3.

    Only downside is, you need a MIDI controller to get loops longer than 8 beats and you are tied to beats.

    I did a video explaining Frippertronics with Kosmonaut a while ago:

    And this is a recent ambient improvisation with this setup:

  • @MonkeyDrummer said:

    you will find people that were able to make an iOS setup work, but it will be painful, frustrating, etc.

    Absolutely agree!

  • edited January 15

    @ThinAirX
    You haven't said much about your workflow. Please elaborate.
    Are you recording everything live?
    Buying apps first and then trying to make them do something they're possibly not made for can be a challenging task.

    (My first impression is that you're looking for a delay rather than a looper).

  • @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    You want Ostinator.

    I really like Ostinator - great interface, smooth cross-fading, so useable. Sadly won't ever be updated so when IAA dies, so do great apps like these... :(

  • Another vote for LoopyHD.

  • I’ve been using Enso for live ambient guitar and absolutely love it. It’s not a sequencer so individual tracks can’t be manipulated. But still there is a nice set of features. Play loops reversed, change speed (pitch), saturation, chorus, high/low pass, slicing up the loop and firing up different parts, great midi control. The perfect ambient looper for what I’m doing.

  • Loopy pro is coming...

  • On my way to work. Thank you for all comments. Will respond in detail later.

    I'm trying to replace hardware loopers because 1) too many wires and pedals, hard to travel and set up, 2) they don't give me the fine control I need. I've bought and played with Pigtronix, Boomerang, TC Electronics, Line 6, and more. I know iOS can be a bitch, but I need to make it work. I'm not a tech genius, but I'm persistent (and I have 30 years experience with electronic music, starting with programming the DX7). I do believe iOS music will surpass hardware soon, if it hasn't already.

    I've started to learn Loopy, Ostinator, Quantioop, Kosmonaut. Having problems with each (more on that later). L7 crashes right out of the gate. Considering Enso. (@Martinj, I watched your vids. Inspiring, got a lot of ideas, thanks.)

    I have lots of MIDI controllers, including a bunch from KMI. Pedals, because I have to have both hands on the clarinet.

    The reason I'm asking for advice now is to select one or two loopers to spend time with and solve the problems. I have very specific musical goals and I'm determined to make this work. With the help of this marvelous and supportive community, I think I can.

    oh, oh. gotta go ...

  • Just don’t sell the hardware until you’re convinced that the iPad setup is 100% stable.

  • @mistercharlie I'm not selling anything.

    But the bigger question is: is iOS music ready for prime time? Or is it still a toy? I'd want to believe I can rely on iOS loopers enough to perform. If not, I will go back to hardware.

  • edited January 15

    @ThinAirX said:
    @mistercharlie I'm not selling anything.

    But the bigger question is: is iOS music ready for prime time? Or is it still a toy? I'd want to believe I can rely on iOS loopers enough to perform. If not, I will go back to hardware.

    I want to know the same but it depends on what you must and what don't.
    For me something like GTL (which has not counterpart in hardware realm or the nearest cost around 600€ or even more) could make the effort but for simple looping task just go loopy (the most stable app) or hardware.
    Loopy Pro / Modstep 2 seem to be floating over NAMM but just speculation from 2 devs cryptic messages in other thread.

  • @TheDubbyLabby said:

    Loopy Pro / Modstep 2 seem to be floating over NAMM but just speculation from 2 devs cryptic messages in other thread.

    What's this?

  • @ThinAirX
    A little thought experiment:
    What would a delay plugin have to deliver in order to match your requirements?

  • @Liquidmantis said:

    @TheDubbyLabby said:

    Loopy Pro / Modstep 2 seem to be floating over NAMM but just speculation from 2 devs cryptic messages in other thread.

    What's this?

    What I said. Check the modstep topic...

  • Loopy HD/AUM/Audiobus: solid, reliable, flexible, 12 tracks, pedal-ready, excellent implementation of Audiobus Remote. Did I mention that it’s solid?
    Enso/AUM: Enso way more reliable than earlier version, 4 instances in AUM, still very infrequent crashes, adjustable start/end points, no need for Audiobus. Of course, AUV3.

  • @TheDubbyLabby said:

    @Liquidmantis said:

    @TheDubbyLabby said:

    Loopy Pro / Modstep 2 seem to be floating over NAMM but just speculation from 2 devs cryptic messages in other thread.

    What's this?

    What I said. Check the modstep topic...

    The one that laments the total silence from the Modstep team and laughs about the idea of support? I can see why that has you optimistic.

  • @ThinAirX said:
    I'm trying to replace hardware loopers because 1) too many wires and pedals

    Only out of curiosity: how would iOS let you use fewer wires and pedals? You still need to connect an audio interface, dongle, power supply and a MIDI pedal

  • edited January 15

    I'm curious what limitations the OP found with Loopy. ...aside from the obvious limitation that it is not Auv3 and requires Audiobus to function in AUM.

    Loopy works great and if you dive in to settings you can build an extremely versatile ambient looper.

  • @Liquidmantis said:

    @TheDubbyLabby said:

    @Liquidmantis said:

    @TheDubbyLabby said:

    Loopy Pro / Modstep 2 seem to be floating over NAMM but just speculation from 2 devs cryptic messages in other thread.

    What's this?

    What I said. Check the modstep topic...

    The one that laments the total silence from the Modstep team and laughs about the idea of support? I can see why that has you optimistic.

    yes the same where SecretBaseDesign pointed something in the cooking and also Michael (maybe was in other topic).
    They seem to hide maybe some news over NAMM so just one day to know what about it...

  • wimwim
    edited January 15

    The only issue I have with Loopy for this kind of thing is not being able to trim loops. I'm lousy at hitting that stop button while playing so I get gaps in pads and the like. That probably isn't so much of an issue when using a foot controller though.

    If there was a swipe gesture and cc control to trim the start and stop points of the loops it'd be perfect for me. I really hope Loopy Pro has this feature @Michael. B)

    I don't care so much that its not AU since I can load it into as many AB output slots as I need, and it has AB State Save.

  • @TheDubbyLabby : I don't know that @Michael is being cryptic. It seems like he has let it be known that he is now back at work on Loopy Pro and that it seems to be his focus.

  • Cryptic about release over NAMM maybe?

    In fact I also understood (probably wrong) that @SecretBaseDesign was working on Modstep2 but others users seem to understood vj app...

    Too many post and info with NAMM made me totally confused... and now IDK what to expect or when.

  • @TheDubbyLabby said:
    Cryptic about release over NAMM maybe?

    In fact I also understood (probably wrong) that @SecretBaseDesign was working on Modstep2 but others users seem to understood vj app...

    Too many post and info with NAMM made me totally confused... and now IDK what to expect or when.

    Not cryptic at all. He's clearly said he's at pre-beta stage.

  • @wim said:

    @TheDubbyLabby said:
    Cryptic about release over NAMM maybe?

    In fact I also understood (probably wrong) that @SecretBaseDesign was working on Modstep2 but others users seem to understood vj app...

    Too many post and info with NAMM made me totally confused... and now IDK what to expect or when.

    Not cryptic at all. He's clearly said he's at pre-beta stage.

    Please link the post. I understood he was working on Loopy pro and maybe some news soon (I understood near NAMM) but I talk by memory.
    Thanks @wim

  • @TheDubbyLabby said:

    @wim said:

    @TheDubbyLabby said:
    Cryptic about release over NAMM maybe?

    In fact I also understood (probably wrong) that @SecretBaseDesign was working on Modstep2 but others users seem to understood vj app...

    Too many post and info with NAMM made me totally confused... and now IDK what to expect or when.

    Not cryptic at all. He's clearly said he's at pre-beta stage.

    Please link the post. I understood he was working on Loopy pro and maybe some news soon (I understood near NAMM) but I talk by memory.
    Thanks @wim

    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/738084/#Comment_738084

  • @wim said:

    @TheDubbyLabby said:

    @wim said:

    @TheDubbyLabby said:
    Cryptic about release over NAMM maybe?

    In fact I also understood (probably wrong) that @SecretBaseDesign was working on Modstep2 but others users seem to understood vj app...

    Too many post and info with NAMM made me totally confused... and now IDK what to expect or when.

    Not cryptic at all. He's clearly said he's at pre-beta stage.

    Please link the post. I understood he was working on Loopy pro and maybe some news soon (I understood near NAMM) but I talk by memory.
    Thanks @wim

    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/738084/#Comment_738084

    Thanks mate :kissing_heart:
    But then not too long what could mean? If it isn’t in beta... ETA?
    Just curious I haven’t any hurry for that neither.

Sign In or Register to comment.