Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ostinator Looper, perfect for ambient [Problem FIXED]

edited January 2020 in App Tips and Tricks

[EDIT: The developer fixed this problem as soon as I notified him. Version in the app store now works fine.]

I'm learning Ostinator. Studied the manual. Works well so far. BUT ...

Problem: when I turn down Feedback Amount control, it doesn't go to zero--I can't get it to give me just one repeat of the loop I just recorded. Same result when I control it with a MIDI pedal (and I verified the pedal goes from 0 to 127).

Suggestions? Is this a bug? The manual makes it clear that I should be able to get just one repeat:

"If feedback is turned down to zero, the loop will only play once and then stop. ( Because there was no feedback! )"

Steve
ThinAirX

Comments

• No hints sorry as I dont yet have it. Do you have Enso and if so how does it compare?

• I'm looking hard at Enso. The demos look promising. But I see lots of complaints about crashes and being unstable. What's the latest on that?

Can Enso be used multiple instances in AUM?

Steve
    ThinAirX

• I’m not familiar with this app so I may not fully understand your issue, but any feedback control should only apply when you’re overdubbing. If you’re in Play mode the loop will still repeat forever. If you want the loop to play once and stop even if the looper isn’t recording, you’re after a One Shot mode.

• @ThinAirX said:
    I'm learning Ostinator. Studied the manual. Works well so far. BUT ...

Problem: when I turn down Feedback Amount control, it doesn't go to zero--I can't get it to give me just one repeat of the loop I just recorded. Same result when I control it with a MIDI pedal (and I verified the pedal goes from 0 to 127).

Suggestions? Is this a bug? The manual makes it clear that I should be able to get just one repeat:

"If feedback is turned down to zero, the loop will only play once and then stop. ( Because there was no feedback! )"

Steve
    ThinAirX

If you haven’t done so, I’d recommend shooting the developer an email.

• @jrjulius said:
    any feedback control should only apply when you’re overdubbing.

jrjulius -- exactly. I want to overdub live. Fripp-style, layering one phrase at a time over a previous phrase that plays only once.

• I emailed the developer, Living Memory Software, and Andy replied. This is good news for Ostinator and ambient musicians:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for reporting this issue, it is a bug! As it was simple to fix I will upload an update to the app store today, it will take up to 36 hours to process, so hang in there :)

And he added this tease:

FYI:
    As far as I’m aware there are still no other looper apps or AUs on the store that can do the crossfading and loop lengths that are possible in Ostinator and so I’m considering developing an audio unit version to include with Auditor. This won’t be for some time, perhaps later this year.

• Wow. I just bought it. Is it very good.

• “To include with Auditor” even if that’s IAP it would be very very cool.

• I downloaded the newest, fixed version of Ostinator and the bug is indeed fixed. Works exactly as it should now. I put it through its paces by feeding it sounds with long delays and reverb. Everything coming out of the looper is smooth. Highly recommended for ambient and drones.

Steve

• https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ostinator-looper-sampler/id1038887269

I’d never heard of this looper before :o looks pretty interesting.

Looks like it can do audio threshold recording as well as some interesting cross fade looping.

Manual :
    https://livingmemorysoftware.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/ostinator_manual.pdf

Anyone created any videos of them droning on? :s

• I don't have videos but I just made a few free-jam tracks, testing it out. I'll snip a few excerpts and post.

Question: what's the best way to post a sample track on this Forum?

The cross-fade works flawlessly on Ostinator. And to gives you complete control over a broad range cross-fade rates, the fade-out, and even the fade-in rates. That's what it's designed to do. It does NOT sync to beats or force pre-determined loop lengths. It's completely free form. One loop at a time. Period. That's the idea. There's nothing else like it, as far as I can find.

Because it's so single-minded and simple, it's easy to learn and operate. Half-hour, max.

I'm going to see how I can pair it with Loopy to capture loops from Ostinator to layer and play back.

Steve

• @ThinAirX : it might be nice for the dev if you would change the thread title to indicate that problem has been addressed.

Re: posting audio, there are a few ways people do it:

• uploading to soundcloud and posting a link
    • uploading to YouTube and posting a link
    • adding to a dropbox, and sharing a link to the dropbox file. (Clicking on the link in a browser gives an opportunity to hear it in the browser rather than to download)
  • @ThinAirX cool, thanks for the input.

I’d like to use it to create some sustaining pad/drone samples.
    My rough plan was to then load these samples into something like AUM fileplayer instances to create a Frankenstein drone machine but using Loopy could work for this idea too.

For live looping, I think Loopy should pair really well with Ostinator.
    I’d be interested in hearing how it works out for you and if you can post any examples without too much hassle then please feel free.

Cheers

• Hello everyone! I can't get Ostinator to import loops, after I tap on "Import to app" (in AudioShare) nothing gets loaded, I tried with short and long wav files in 44.1khz/16 and 24 bits.
    I've tried to contact dev but the support page is not sending my message.
    Thank youu!