Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Novation Launchpad Pro (Mk 3).... Hardware

Comments

• LP Pro has quickly become the centre of my setup....I have been busy migrating tunes to it...and running this setup from it. The iPad is running the LP app, which I use for audio loops and one shots, it is also providing clock to sync the two.

And in the rack which is hidden behind the drum stool...under the circuits.

• @Aud_iOS said:

@Millions said:

@TheSoundKid said:
    At first it looked promising. But in reality, no knobs, not deep sequencing capabilities and spending 350 bucks for this is not good choice. Akai APC 40 mk2 / push 2 can be a good choice.

Whereas what I found is launchpad x which is excellent choice for iOS music making & also good pair for APC 40 mk2

I got the launchpad x a few weeks ago and returned it because it was annoying that I had to update it on a mac to get it to load the midisynthcontrol layouts. However, more importantly: I couldn't find a way to map the side and top buttons. They just stayed inactive in the regular mode. Has novation updated the X to allow the side buttons to be mapped? I saw recently that Grid Instrument was updated to support it, then I came across this post and got curious

@TheSoundKid Custom Modes 3 & 4 can be used to to light the side, top, and the logo - by default only the grid. To program the side, top, and logo you need to access Ghost mode, so after entering Custom Mode 3 or 4 you press the Note and Custom buttons in rapid succession. the Side, top, and Logo can be programmed with CC messages in Ghost mode. You can also use Programmer's mode for a standalone solution - in Programmer's mode Note and CC messages can address both grid and side rows and the logo.

@Aud_iOS Hey I can't seem to get my launchpad pro mk3 into ghost mode. I followed what you said above.. am I missing something in the steps?

• hello, I don t know how to sync the novation with ableton (as tempo novation is at 120 or Ableton is drived by the Ipad to an other tempo) . Thanks in advance.

• Sometimes it syncs and often stop playing...

• @supadom said:
    I’ve been unsuccessfully trying to find a way for the pads to output midi CC but there only seems to be note only.

Audiobus Forum, you’re my only hope!

I’ve been trying to get the same thing out of the pads on my Launchkey 25 Mk2.

• edited August 2020

@ahallam said:

@supadom said:
    I’ve been unsuccessfully trying to find a way for the pads to output midi CC but there only seems to be note only.

Audiobus Forum, you’re my only hope!

I’ve been trying to get the same thing out of the pads on my Launchkey 25 Mk2.

Not sure about the previous models but the MK3 has 4 custom pad layouts that you can assign with MIDI widgets via Novation’s Components website.

So assigning MIDI CC to the pads would be possible on latest Launchkey.

I even managed to assign some buttons to CCs 98 & 99, One of the knobs to CC6 and used these to send NRPNs to the Novation PEAK and control its mod matrix from the Launchkey

• Ordered a LP Pro Mk 3 today from Amazon. They definitely dropped in price since launch now £264 in UK with shipping.

• Looking good.. The MidiSTEPs Seq. performance features looks great...$349?

• edited September 2020

@RajahP said:

Looking good.. The MidiSTEPs Seq. performance features looks great...$349?

@RajahP I picked one up on Amazon £260 in UK

Here is a video of the update pretty cool.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@RajahP said:

Looking good.. The MidiSTEPs Seq. performance features looks great...$349?

@RajahP I picked one up on Amazon £260 in UK

Here is a video of the update pretty cool.

Yep, was looking at it, tempting.. Thanks

• Still 499$ CAD on Amazon.ca :(

• Is it possible to sequence CC datas with the new Launchpad Mk 3?

• @Jeezs said:
    Is it possible to sequence CC datas with the new Launchpad Mk 3?

Not to my knowledge. Maybe with a custom script.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    LP Pro has quickly become the centre of my setup....I have been busy migrating tunes to it...and running this setup from it. The iPad is running the LP app, which I use for audio loops and one shots, it is also providing clock to sync the two.

And in the rack which is hidden behind the drum stool...under the circuits.

This is exactly what I am trying to do… Any tips?

• I just picked up the Launchpad X since it now interfaces well with LogicPro X 10.5/6, (as I'm not an Ableton user).

I've been hoping to also use it with my iPad Pro, and it interfaces seamlessly with the Ampify Launchpad app for playback fun. But for more creativity and production, I'm thinking that Garageband may be the best fit with its Live Loops capability. I have GB, Auria Pro, Cubasis 3, Nanostudio 2 as well as AUM etc.

Any other suggestions re the Launchpad X usage with iPad would be welcome!

• @sch said:
    I just picked up the Launchpad X since it now interfaces well with LogicPro X 10.5/6, (as I'm not an Ableton user).

I've been hoping to also use it with my iPad Pro, and it interfaces seamlessly with the Ampify Launchpad app for playback fun. But for more creativity and production, I'm thinking that Garageband may be the best fit with its Live Loops capability. I have GB, Auria Pro, Cubasis 3, Nanostudio 2 as well as AUM etc.

Having the ability to create 'Custom layouts' means the LPX can be configured to work with pretty much any app in one way or another.

If you're keen on messing with midi scripts in StreamByter or Mozaic then I find these pair amazingly well with the LPX for complex midi control.

• I've not tried yet but it would likely pair well with ChordPolyPad too.

• @SpookyZoo said:
    Having the ability to create 'Custom layouts' means the LPX can be configured to work with pretty much any app in one way or another.

If you're keen on messing with midi scripts in StreamByter or Mozaic then I find these pair amazingly well with the LPX for complex midi control.

@SpookyZoo Yeah, I'm not averse to "getting under the hood" so to speak and I've been exploring the mode customization with Novation's Components and the MIDISynthControl app. I'm more looking at advice as to what iOS app folks are recommending as being able to offer the best "playground" to then customize the LPx for? I've seen some videos and threads about setting it up with BM3, which although I have it, I'm really not into it at all.

Workflow-wise, I love NS2, but without audio, it's incomplete, hence my leaning toward Cubasis 3 et al. Garageband seems offer the closest workflow to what I can do with the LPx on Logic Pro's Live Loops, but I'd like more feedback before I dive headlong into customization. I know very little about the Imaginado LK AUV3 because I've never used Ableton Live and don't really want to learn that program/workflow. Cheers!

• @sch said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@SpookyZoo Yeah, I'm not averse to "getting under the hood" so to speak and I've been exploring the mode customization with Novation's Components and the MIDISynthControl app. I'm more looking at advice as to what iOS app folks are recommending as being able to offer the best "playground" to then customize the LPx for? I've seen some videos and threads about setting it up with BM3, which although I have it, I'm really not into it at all.

Workflow-wise, I love NS2, but without audio, it's incomplete, hence my leaning toward Cubasis 3 et al. Garageband seems offer the closest workflow to what I can do with the LPx on Logic Pro's Live Loops, but I'd like more feedback before I dive headlong into customization. I know very little about the Imaginado LK AUV3 because I've never used Ableton Live and don't really want to learn that program/workflow. Cheers!

LK works out of the box with the session mode of the launchpads which is great. I don’t know of any other app (apart from Ampifys of course) that you can use session mode in. LK is pretty much like the Ampify Launchpad app just for MIDI. What I use it for is sending single MIDI notes to EG Pulse to trigger audio loops, which makes that setup practically a highly customizable version of the Launchpad app. This process requires quite some setup and using LK for MIDI also has a slight learning curve. Maybe that helps you decide if it’s for you.

Here’s how I use the custom pages so far. Mind that I have the Launchpad Pro, so I have 8 custom pages.

• Page 1 has vertical sliders that control channel volumes. Works for any app.
    • Page 2 has horizontal bi-polar faders for panning the channels. Works for any app
    • Page 3 and 4 are mimicking and controlling the Koala FX sliders which is a ton of fun. I can just throw Koala FX on every channel and can instantly remix everything. It gives that Launchpad app/Jamm pro feeling. 🤘🏼At first I was only using one page and 8 FX, but since I have enough pages anyway.. 🤷🏼‍♂️
    • Page 5 is setup to control Drambo, inspired by a setup @echoopera posted somewhere. That’s also a really fantastic usecase. Everything fits neatly onto one page 👌🏼
    • Page 6 is set up with horizontal sliders and one row of cc-buttons, but so far I have not used it much.
  • @SpookyZoo said:
    I've not tried yet but it would likely pair well with ChordPolyPad too.

I think it’s about time to finally take the plunge jump off the fence and get that CPP app... as it will never be on sale... ever ;)

• @david_2017 said:

@SpookyZoo said:
    I've not tried yet but it would likely pair well with ChordPolyPad too.

I think it’s about time to finally take the plunge jump off the fence and get that CPP app... as it will never be on sale... ever ;)

Oh, I have the app, it’s great. I’ve just not hooked it up with CPP lately. I remember now that I did in fact do so when first getting the LPX though and they paired really well. I set up a ‘SoundPrism’ style layout with CPP providing the scale chords on leftmost pad of each row.

• @sch said:
    I just picked up the Launchpad X since it now interfaces well with LogicPro X 10.5/6, (as I'm not an Ableton user).

Check out Quantum Composer by @soundtemple. It's an awesome suite of Mozaic plugins for sequencing and control. It comes with a Launchpad mini mk3 template that loads perfectly on a Launchpad X via components. It's designed to work alongside a controller with encoders, specifically a Midi Fighter Twister, but I've just found joyful integration with a much cheaper Behringer x-touch mini. Good anyway with just the Launchpad.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/43006/now-available-free-make-songs-in-aum-with-scenes-automation-control-1000-params-4-knobs/p1

• @steve99 said:
    Check out Quantum Composer by @soundtemple. It's an awesome suite of Mozaic plugins for sequencing and control. It comes with a Launchpad mini mk3 template that loads perfectly on a Launchpad X via components. It's designed to work alongside a controller with encoders, specifically a Midi Fighter Twister, but I've just found joyful integration with a much cheaper Behringer x-touch mini. Good anyway with just the Launchpad.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/43006/now-available-free-make-songs-in-aum-with-scenes-automation-control-1000-params-4-knobs/p1

WOW! That is some major piece of work! It looks amazing, but to be honest, at going on 72, I’m never going to have the time and patience to figure out a reasonable workflow. I’m more of a traditional DAW-lover rather than with the AUM concept of so working. Appreciate the feedback though… cheers!

• I totally forgot, that I wrote Novation a few weeks ago. Here is their reply:

Hello Arthus,

Thanks for getting in touch and for your suggestions.

Components for iOS is something that we have seen other users raise before so we have a feature request case in with our Development Team for their consideration.
    I have added your request to this to show what the demand is for this feature and so if there is an update on this in the future, you will be notified.

I've also raised your other points regarding automation and print-to-clip compatibility with other DAWs for their consideration separately.

If you do have any other suggestions for features for the Launchpad Pro MK3, please do let us know and we'll happily ensure these are raised with the right people.

It sure sounds like they want to be bombarded with requests for components on iOS. Audiobus army you know what to do 😎

Novation really is one of the few „big“ companies that I really love. Their user support is awesome and their products are innovative and of good quality. 👍🏼

• So I joined the LPP party today. Man this thing is cool! I’ve only really just scratched the surface but it’s capable of way more stuff than I was expecting.

I really hope they add more tracks to the sequencer. It’s such a fun way to make music and takes me out of my usual iOS mindset which is good sometimes.

With LK it’s awesome. Can’t wait to try with the imminent atom 2 as integration looks super tight.

It’s gonna be music making heaven on iOS this year.

• @gregsmith said:
    So I joined the LPP party today. Man this thing is cool! I’ve only really just scratched the surface but it’s capable of way more stuff than I was expecting.

I really hope they add more tracks to the sequencer. It’s such a fun way to make music and takes me out of my usual iOS mindset which is good sometimes.

With LK it’s awesome. Can’t wait to try with the imminent atom 2 as integration looks super tight.

It’s gonna be music making heaven on iOS this year.

I’ve just joined the party as well!

I’ve had mine for a couple days. I have a vision of how I’d like to use it, and I know it’s possible, but like you, I’ve still only barely scratched the surface. I spent the first day just looking at the thing and trying to figure out how to wire everything up, which I’m still working on. Trying to figure out the best place for it on my desk etc.

I’m also challenging myself to learn something new, and this is definitely new to me. I’m an old school guitar guy (51) who’s who’s gotten himself into synthesizers over the years. A “grid style controller” is something I never would have even considered only a couple years ago, but with all these amazing apps, and everything I’ve learned about synthesis, MIDI, audio loops, clip launching, grooveboxes, etc., the Launchpad just makes sense now!

I’m determined to learn the “language” of this thing. No, not that language (as in the coding language) no, I mean the workflow of the Launchpad interface. I’m slooooooowly figuring out how to navigate this thing... the GF thinks it’s ridiculous “for a 51 year old man to sit and play with little colored squares”, but I don’t care.. she doesn’t know what I know....

• I have a Pro mk3 I thought I would use it with Logic and now with Atom 2 but I would rather focus on my Linnstrument. PM me if you’re in Denmark/Europe and interested 😉

• Here’s my setup. Feel the need for some faders...

• edited May 2021

Question for Launchpad Pro Mk3 owners....

In the sequencer, can you record into a chain of patterns?

The idea is: from the Patterns page, I chain two empty patterns, hit record, then live play 64 steps continuously. These 64 steps are then spread across two chained patterns.

I think I saw it in a YT video, but I'm not finding the answer, including in the manual.

[edit: here's the video (at 9:45... the vid time didn't come through on the link for some reason)... it seems as if he's recording a 128 step bassline in 4 patterns...]