Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Novation Launchpad Pro (Mk 3).... Hardware

Comments

• @Millions said:

@TheSoundKid said:
    At first it looked promising. But in reality, no knobs, not deep sequencing capabilities and spending 350 bucks for this is not good choice. Akai APC 40 mk2 / push 2 can be a good choice.

Whereas what I found is launchpad x which is excellent choice for iOS music making & also good pair for APC 40 mk2

I got the launchpad x a few weeks ago and returned it because it was annoying that I had to update it on a mac to get it to load the midisynthcontrol layouts. However, more importantly: I couldn't find a way to map the side and top buttons. They just stayed inactive in the regular mode. Has novation updated the X to allow the side buttons to be mapped? I saw recently that Grid Instrument was updated to support it, then I came across this post and got curious

@TheSoundKid Custom Modes 3 & 4 can be used to to light the side, top, and the logo - by default only the grid. To program the side, top, and logo you need to access Ghost mode, so after entering Custom Mode 3 or 4 you press the Note and Custom buttons in rapid succession. the Side, top, and Logo can be programmed with CC messages in Ghost mode. You can also use Programmer's mode for a standalone solution - in Programmer's mode Note and CC messages can address both grid and side rows and the logo.

• @papertiger - few more notes regarding polyester touch - you can toggle to accept Aftertouch and Channel Pressure, either, or none. You can also set thresholds for the Aftertouch. Channel Pressure has downside of only sending out the same pressure on all pads, aftertouch sends levels by pad, and can (pretty sure) have different curves by pad. Live doesn't do aftertouch - not sure if there's a workaround tool. I get a little confused too because I think sometimes channel pressure gets labeled as aftertouch etc.

• @Aud_iOS said:
    @papertiger - few more notes regarding polyester touch - you can toggle to accept Aftertouch and Channel Pressure, either, or none. You can also set thresholds for the Aftertouch. Channel Pressure has downside of only sending out the same pressure on all pads, aftertouch sends levels by pad, and can (pretty sure) have different curves by pad. Live doesn't do aftertouch - not sure if there's a workaround tool. I get a little confused too because I think sometimes channel pressure gets labeled as aftertouch etc.

My issue was that NanoStudio 2 doesn’t recognize Aftertouch. I corrected my post and noted that correction above.

The options you’re mentioning make the LPPMK3 so flexible! I love it! Are you getting on with it? I wish there was a way to shift notes in a pattern. That would make it near perfect...

• @Aud_iOS said:

@Millions said:

@TheSoundKid said:
    At first it looked promising. But in reality, no knobs, not deep sequencing capabilities and spending 350 bucks for this is not good choice. Akai APC 40 mk2 / push 2 can be a good choice.

Whereas what I found is launchpad x which is excellent choice for iOS music making & also good pair for APC 40 mk2

I got the launchpad x a few weeks ago and returned it because it was annoying that I had to update it on a mac to get it to load the midisynthcontrol layouts. However, more importantly: I couldn't find a way to map the side and top buttons. They just stayed inactive in the regular mode. Has novation updated the X to allow the side buttons to be mapped? I saw recently that Grid Instrument was updated to support it, then I came across this post and got curious

@TheSoundKid Custom Modes 3 & 4 can be used to to light the side, top, and the logo - by default only the grid. To program the side, top, and logo you need to access Ghost mode, so after entering Custom Mode 3 or 4 you press the Note and Custom buttons in rapid succession. the Side, top, and Logo can be programmed with CC messages in Ghost mode. You can also use Programmer's mode for a standalone solution - in Programmer's mode Note and CC messages can address both grid and side rows and the logo.

Dope. Thanks a bunch. I'm definitely reconsidering purchasing it after that because the side buttons not working for me due to my lack of knowledge at the time really killed it for me.

• any of you have an old Lp pro but feel like the purchase of the new one is still warranted?

• @Millions said:

@Aud_iOS said:

@Millions said:

@TheSoundKid said:

Dope. Thanks a bunch. I'm definitely reconsidering purchasing it after that because the side buttons not working for me due to my lack of knowledge at the time really killed it for me.

@Millions Sure - let us know :) @papertiger - Definitely much love for this device. I’ve been using LPP for past few years regular - this is pretty much what I dreamed of when I got the original - especially the sequencer, making/recalling templates easily, and the Capture MIDI is really really a nice surprise - capturing MIDI then quickly pasting it to any Live clip location makes for some great performative variation. The new modes-centric concept clicks with me, and it’s easier to navigate Live sets with deeper controls. I like the bigger pads, and the lower profile. The sequencer I actually enjoy more than the Circuit’s already just because I can see 4 rows (32 steps) at a time, it’s an Apples/Oranges thing there - but the rest of the Circuit-type workflow is nice and familiar. I’ve only scratched the surface of the sequencer, but with how easy it is to print things around a Live set - I think there’ll be much good music made with it. Programmer mode was always more of a challenge, but much of that functionality is now in Components and is much quicker to work with the (previously) more advanced functions, there’s still SysEx - but I haven’t mapped out what new SysEx is out - and the Programmer’s Reference isn’t out yet - tho it’s referenced a few times in the User Guide. Oh - another random workflow feature is holding Shift+ Track 1...5 to adjust velocity, volume, aftertouch - and having Shift functions illuminate with text is also handy.

• ...> @Aud_iOS said:

@Millions said:

@Aud_iOS said:

@Millions said:

@TheSoundKid said:

@Millions Sure - let us know :) @papertiger - Definitely much love for this device. I’ve been using LPP for past few years regular - this is pretty much what I dreamed of when I got the original - especially the sequencer, making/recalling templates easily, and the Capture MIDI is really really a nice surprise - capturing MIDI then quickly pasting it to any Live clip location makes for some great performative variation. The new modes-centric concept clicks with me, and it’s easier to navigate Live sets with deeper controls. I like the bigger pads, and the lower profile. The sequencer I actually enjoy more than the Circuit’s already just because I can see 4 rows (32 steps) at a time, it’s an Apples/Oranges thing there - but the rest of the Circuit-type workflow is nice and familiar. I’ve only scratched the surface of the sequencer, but with how easy it is to print things around a Live set - I think there’ll be much good music made with it. Programmer mode was always more of a challenge, but much of that functionality is now in Components and is much quicker to work with the (previously) more advanced functions, there’s still SysEx - but I haven’t mapped out what new SysEx is out - and the Programmer’s Reference isn’t out yet - tho it’s referenced a few times in the User Guide. Oh - another random workflow feature is holding Shift+ Track 1...5 to adjust velocity, volume, aftertouch - and having Shift functions illuminate with text is also handy.

Sounds like it ticks a lot of boxes for you.

Have you noticed the pads on MK3 not being as bright as original LPP, even with brightest setting?

• @Millions Sure - let us know :) @papertiger - Definitely much love for this device. I’ve been using LPP for past few years regular - this is pretty much what I dreamed of when I got the original - especially the sequencer, making/recalling templates easily, and the Capture MIDI is really really a nice surprise - capturing MIDI then quickly pasting it to any Live clip location makes for some great performative variation. The new modes-centric concept clicks with me, and it’s easier to navigate Live sets with deeper controls. I like the bigger pads, and the lower profile. The sequencer I actually enjoy more than the Circuit’s already just because I can see 4 rows (32 steps) at a time, it’s an Apples/Oranges thing there - but the rest of the Circuit-type workflow is nice and familiar. I’ve only scratched the surface of the sequencer, but with how easy it is to print things around a Live set - I think there’ll be much good music made with it. Programmer mode was always more of a challenge, but much of that functionality is now in Components and is much quicker to work with the (previously) more advanced functions, there’s still SysEx - but I haven’t mapped out what new SysEx is out - and the Programmer’s Reference isn’t out yet - tho it’s referenced a few times in the User Guide. Oh - another random workflow feature is holding Shift+ Track 1...5 to adjust velocity, volume, aftertouch - and having Shift functions illuminate with text is also handy.

Sounds like it ticks a lot of boxes for you.

Have you noticed the pads on MK3 not being as bright as original LPP, even with brightest setting?

@SpookyZoo Yes, they appear softer - the pads being larger than the LPP might further disperse the light - looking side by side I notice more distance between pads on the LPP, and that the pads are taller than the MK3. Or maybe they adjusted the PWM smoothing to reduce the flicker, or the pads are more opaque -

• A mate of mine has just received one and is pulling his hair out trying to get it to connect to the Launchpad app. The device is being seen by his iPad Pro and he can send midi to synths etc just no dice at the moment with Launchpad app.

On the previous pro you had to put it into programmers mode before launching Launchpad app. As far as he can see this mode does not exist on the MK3.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction so I can put him out of his misery ?

Thanks

• Maybe it’s still not supported? Check the changelog to be sure...

• edited February 2020

@zeropoint said:
    A mate of mine has just received one and is pulling his hair out trying to get it to connect to the Launchpad app. The device is being seen by his iPad Pro and he can send midi to synths etc just no dice at the moment with Launchpad app.

On the previous pro you had to put it into programmers mode before launching Launchpad app. As far as he can see this mode does not exist on the MK3.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction so I can put him out of his misery ?

Thanks

Any joy?

Is the LPP at least lighting up? If not it may need to be connected via powered hub?

Has the LPP been updated to the latest firmware via the Components website?

I have the LPX and it connects to the LP app straight away. A few caveats are that I'm using a beta version of the LP app, I've not updated to the recent firmware for the LPX and I'm on iOS 12.4.1

• Thanks. Mmmm, yeah it’s not mentioned in the changelog for the most recent update from a month ago.....

• @SpookyZoo , thanks. Yeah all firmware updated , running off a powered hub.

The iPad sees it fine and midi is all working. Just no way to connect to the Launchpad app.

It looks like it’s not currently supported......

• Also put it in low energy mode...

• Thanks. The Mk3 doesn’t have a low energy mode as far as I’m aware...

• edited February 2020

@zeropoint said:
    Thanks. The Mk3 doesn’t have a low energy mode as far as I’m aware...

Well, Does it need being plugged to psu anytime?

BTW Changelog didn't says nothing about Pro mk3 support. Let's hope they update soon...

• Yeah, it needs power from a hub.

Works fine with the iPad in every other respect, just no joy with Launchpad app which as you say needs updating.

• Not currently supported according to the website - https://support.ampifymusic.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360010537299-What-MIDI-hardware-is-supported-in-Ampify-apps-. Programmer's mode you enter by pressing and holding the Setup Button - you'll notice that "print to clip" is now lit Orange, tap that for Programmer Mode, then do the same and tap "Micro Step" (lit green) to return to regular mode. In the Components app there's Custom Mode 7, which is setup the same as Programmer's Mode, and you can access via SysEx - but until they allow the handshake between the 2, there's probably no way to control the app for now with the MK3.

• @AmpifyxNovation will Launchpad pro mk3 get compatibility with Launchpad app? ETA?

• @zeropoint said:
    @Aud_iOS ....thanks

Hopefully won't put your friend into misery - Guess this feature is only available on the MK2, or MK3-Mini, or X... or the others in that list - sure would be nice to have a little sentence about why the MK3 didn't roll out with connection to the app - gotta figure there's at least a few people scratching their heads and trying to get connected. I know I did, then I searched the documentation, nada there... then the Novation help stuff, nothing there... fortunately the Ampify site had the little blurb there, kinda not really front and center tho... sunshine is always the best policy, better than the now common refrain "we're listening" which I think means the same as "trust me" :)

• Yeah, it was driving him nuts....

He’s actually on his way over with it now so I can have a proper looksie.

I found the almost complete lack of reference to iOS and the Launchpad app by Novation / Ampify in the launch material for the Pro Mk 3 more than slightly strange. I doubt it’s an oversight - the cynic in me suspects it’s probably more the marketing bods not wanting the Pro Mk 3 to have associations with platforms that many still consider non Pro. Mini for ipad. Pro for the big boys using Ableton on laptop / desktop....

• @zeropoint said:
    Yeah, it was driving him nuts....

I found the almost complete lack of reference to iOS and the Launchpad app by Novation / Ampify in the launch material for the Pro Mk 3 more than slightly strange. I doubt it’s an oversight - the cynic in me suspects it’s probably more the marketing bods not wanting the Pro Mk 3 to have associations with platforms that many still consider non Pro. Mini for ipad. Pro for the big boys using Ableton on laptop / desktop....

I think isn't related to pro more than portable since the mk3 needs a psu to work meanwhile the others not.

• without a screen it seems so confusing!!!! what’s the learning curve like for those with crippling add ?

• @TheDubbyLabby said:

@zeropoint said:

I think isn't related to pro more than portable since the mk3 needs a psu to work meanwhile the others not.

it runs off the USB-c. i just double checked and it’s strictly bus powered. But still good illustrations why some more info would be useful.

• edited February 2020

@Aud_iOS said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@zeropoint said:

it runs off the USB-c. i just double checked and it’s strictly bus powered. But still good illustrations why some more info would be useful.

I though it was strange but someone pointed it so I just believed. Anyways... USB-c has more power output than USB3 but IDK if Launchpad pro mk3 will need extra power from CCK3usb... Maybe is that what someone pointed?

I'm agree about the lack of information. I found the X and mini mk3 work with Launchpad app on iPhone but I still not know how it goes. It works different but I still didn't see any proper review of that...
    @jakoB_haQ ?

• The Launchpad X and Launchpad mini mk3 weren't compatible with the iOS app initially, an app update sorted that shortly afterwards. Would be very surprised if this didn't happen again for the new Pro.

• @TheDubbyLabby said:
    @AmpifyxNovation will Launchpad pro mk3 get compatibility with Launchpad app? ETA?

Hello,

Just wanted to confirm that Ampify are planning to support the Launchpad Pro for Launchpad app. This feature is currently in the roadmap for the next few months.

Best wishes,
    Beth

• @AmpifyxNovation said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:
    @AmpifyxNovation will Launchpad pro mk3 get compatibility with Launchpad app? ETA?

Hello,

Just wanted to confirm that Ampify are planning to support the Launchpad Pro for Launchpad app. This feature is currently in the roadmap for the next few months.

Best wishes,
    Beth

Thanks!

• I have the Pro MK3 and bought the X before.

For the Pro, I would wish for a chord and latch mode (why not using the dead buttons in midi mode like „shift-toggle“ or „chord input“ when not connected to Live) WITHIN the sequencer!

It‘s a bit of a shame, that note/chord are not integrated into the sequencer mode (you can‘t play into the seq, both standalone).

8 channels for the seq-mode would be nice (I split the keys in half atm.). Unsure, maybe they had tech issues and/or decided to annoy modular guys once more, to buy a Laptop and Live :neutral:

Anyway: 4 are are 4 too less and I decided not to buy a second pro and most of the stuff in my setup is virtual (iOS) so I can make use of virtual space.

BTW: Talked to the „Midi Synth Control“ dev (iOS app) and all three LP-editors are just one payment, he is waiting for tech details.

I hope the Pro gets the Legacy mode soon (LPX firmware update is out, L-mode enabled ;-)

For the X, I would wish for 6-8 custom layouts, dead buttons can be mapped now (fixed, see above), CHORD mode (WTF?) also latch.

I’m VERY happy with both of them, especially with the Legacy mode, open for modding :-)

Btw: I still read a lit about “when are they Launchpad ready”: Ampify has its “Studio” in beta, Blocs Wave and Launchpad will be merged, very unsure (sadly) about them finally implementing Midi IO, but now it would finally make sense. Hope we can play in, store midi clips + routing, as well as samples, in the end.

I just saw three dots in each clip window, on pics and also the PR “interview”-ad...but who knows, especially about connectivity to the outside, to non-Ableton DAWs and apps. There are several other ways, even apps like LK, Modstep, BM3, Auria, AUM etc.,and maybe other midi clip triggering focused apps

Ampify: Got invited to their beta, but I’m in the middle of moving and need to get my workstation (2d/3d animation/modeling/ motion design, gfx...not going AT ALL to the desktop for Ableton, nor I want to buy and carry a laptop with me all the time.

My setup is completely modular and portable, even just powered by a 26k mAh battery, if I want to play in the park, on the street or on a mountain or so... :-D

I hope it will be not the usual closed and primitive system. Groovebox just got param automation, so who knows :-)

Looking forward to more infos, news and all that,

Have fun making music :-)