Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Novation Launchpad Pro (Mk 3).... Hardware

Comments

• @papertiger said:
    @RajahP typo - it arriveS Saturday. Sorry.

Cool...

• Mine arrived Saturday! Wahoo!

So is this plug and play.. Just plug lighten into my iPad, plug USB into my computer, open up Maschine my iPad shows up. no Studiomux/Iconnectivity needed?

Thanks

@RUST( i )K - 349.99$

@RajahP - Not unless your computer has a USB host port. I’m not familiar with Maschine specs etc, but you’d plug it out to the iOS device with this cable.

• @TheDubbyLabby said:

@jollyDodger said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:
    Powered hub then power the hub with ripcord and external battery.

thanks for the info.. but for me that’s three extra items to plug in on top of ipad, camera connection dongle, usb wire, and the midi controller. try juggling that on the bus or a plane.. pass.. too ugly for me..

Sadly I think there is no other solution almost with lightning. Maybe with usb-c new pros there’s an option I don’t know (or can’t remember)

Maybe the pioneer cable for weego series or similar and small battery powerbank?

https://www.pioneerdj.com/es-es/product/accessories/archive/djc-wecai/cable/overview/

But you still need a cck... maybe the non powered like the picture is thin solution?

Anyways I can’t remember any other simple solution and I dig a bit on this to be fair...

• @RajahP said:
    And I’m thinking, why can’t one of these gifted iOS developers bring something like this to the iPad (if less the playability of the pads).. The iPad has its advantages, labeling of pads, etc.

I’ll pay good money for an Uber LPP Mk3..

This is my thought exactly. It’s 2020, yet MIDI hardware developers, with the exception of Panorama and the X-touch, still don’t label each knob/pad with the MIDI CC number it’s assigned to using some sort of LED screen...☹️

• @RajahP said:

@papertiger said:

Cool...

Nice - mine should be tomorrow, Sweetwater HQ is like 3 hours from here. In other exciting news, the Wasp and TD-3 arrived just now!

• @Aud_iOS said:

@RajahP said:

@papertiger said:

Cool...

Nice - mine should be tomorrow, Sweetwater HQ is like 3 hours from here. In other exciting news, the Wasp and TD-3 arrived just now!

That’s where I ordered from. They’re awesome.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    Price on new LPAD PRO?

circa £300 I think....

Have had it confirmed that it will sync to midi clock received at the usb and also send that clock to the trs MIDI thru port, makes it ideal for bridging clock from iOS to hardware...... no more re-cabling for USB or running software just to route connections when I want to use the iPad with my hardware.
    Worth it just for that alone to me...shame I ain't got any money to buy one LOL

• @Aud_iOS said:

@RajahP said:

@papertiger said:

Cool...

Ha! I'm waiting for Mr. Fedex to drop off my Wasp today. Didn't realize the LPm3 was available for ordering already but I need to let my wallet cool down anyway.

• @Liquidmantis said:

@Aud_iOS said:

@RajahP said:

@papertiger said:

Cool...

Ha! I'm waiting for Mr. Fedex to drop off my Wasp today. Didn't realize the LPm3 was available for ordering already but I need to let my wallet cool down anyway.

@Liquidmantis Fun! It’s a good looking synth I think. Haven’t yet fired it up.

I see GridInstrument has been updated for the new Mini and X - wonder if the mk3 will be supported? Is GridInstrument dev here on the forum?

• @Aud_iOS said:

@Liquidmantis said:

@Aud_iOS said:

@RajahP said:

@papertiger said:

Cool...

@Liquidmantis Fun! It’s a good looking synth I think. Haven’t yet fired it up.

I see GridInstrument has been updated for the new Mini and X - wonder if the mk3 will be supported? Is GridInstrument dev here on the forum?

Not sure that GridInstrument would add much to the Pro MK3 as it already has scales mode built in.

• Just read through the manual. The LPPMK3 (lolwhut) looks really well thought out. Cautiously excited!

• @echoopera said:

@AudioGus said:

@echoopera said:

@AudioGus said:

@echoopera said:
    Honestly it doesn’t need knobs since you can customize it to make the pads = knobs via the editor. I do this with the launchpad x to act as faders in AUM.

How does that work? Pressure determines cc value?

Either a vertical or horizontal length of the pads becomes the button...you slide your finger along the row of buttons to go up and down...hope that makes sense..

Very cool and color me very interested. So can you split the interface for keys one half, cc pads on the other?

Yep. The Editor allows you to create a template to your liking.

. Vertical slider
    . 1-2 Octave keyboard locked to Scale and Key
    . Dedicated cc# buttons

It’s a cool Editor with some cool features.

And it has this functionality in, say, AUM?

• Alright! What customer level can we request all fireballs?

• @Aud_iOS said:
    Alright! What customer level can we request all fireballs?

Lol. That Laffy Taffy tho... straight fiiiire

• @RajahP said:

I hate these fairs with too much background noise which makes me think I'm more schizophrenic than usual :trollface:

• @audio_DT said:

@echoopera said:

@AudioGus said:

@echoopera said:

@AudioGus said:

@echoopera said:
    Honestly it doesn’t need knobs since you can customize it to make the pads = knobs via the editor. I do this with the launchpad x to act as faders in AUM.

Either a vertical or horizontal length of the pads becomes the button...you slide your finger along the row of buttons to go up and down...hope that makes sense..

Very cool and color me very interested. So can you split the interface for keys one half, cc pads on the other?

. Vertical slider
    . Dedicated cc# buttons

Yep. Anything that works with Midi and has Midi Learn will pick up the midi events.

• @echoopera said:

@audio_DT said:

@echoopera said:

@AudioGus said:

@echoopera said:

@AudioGus said:

@echoopera said:

. Vertical slider
    . Dedicated cc# buttons

Yep. Anything that works with Midi and has Midi Learn will pick up the midi events.

Excellent, thanks. And is it possible to create a template so that the settings don’t have to be re-entered for every project? Thinking of getting one!

• edited January 2020

@audio_DT said:

@echoopera said:

@audio_DT said:

@echoopera said:

@AudioGus said:

@echoopera said:

@AudioGus said:

@echoopera said:

. Vertical slider
    . Dedicated cc# buttons

Excellent, thanks. And is it possible to create a template so that the settings don’t have to be re-entered for every project? Thinking of getting one!

Yep. The launchpad x offers up to 3 templates so i imagine the Pro offers same or more.

• I can confirm that an iOS pro 12.9 will power the LPPMK3 vía the USB-C cable, no need for a powered hub.

• edited January 2020

@echoopera said:

@audio_DT said:

@echoopera said:

@audio_DT said:

@echoopera said:

@AudioGus said:

@echoopera said:

@AudioGus said:

@echoopera said:

. Vertical slider
    . Dedicated cc# buttons

Yep. The launchpad x offers up to 3 templates so i imagine the Pro offers same or more.

In the Components app there's 8 included Factory Custom Modes that cover some common mapping scenarios (PC Messages, Lighting, vert-horizontal faders etc) - you can then add your own custom modes, you just drag and drop widgets (like CC, Program Change, MIDI Note...) onto the LPP-GUI. Each pad can have its own channel assignment, and colors for on/off - other options as well. You can have 8 custom modes loaded at a time, and have (I think) as many as you want saved in Components to load. So yep - having these easy to make and recall maps is some fresh air in the workflow. Quite a few handy enhancements - and while I've only scratched it for a fe minutes, the sequencer is really fun - if you have a Circuit - very similar - and also easy to save sequencer projects.

• @papertiger said:
    I can confirm that an iOS pro 12.9 will power the LPPMK3 vía the USB-C cable, no need for a powered hub.

Also in the manual (10.8) says you can reduce the power consumption by setting the brightness down on the pads - if you get the "not enough power" message you can start up in Bootloader (hold Setup while connecting the USB cable).

• I had the pleasure to use the LPPMK3 for about 2-3 hours last night (unfortunately at the beginning of my session I ran into some technical difficulties due to the usb a to USB C adaptors I use with my hub). In any case here are some initial thoughts.

-it feels lighter than I thought it would but the pads and clicky pads around the edge feel great. Really like the build quality. It’s extremely thin, so I’ll definitely be getting a case for it given how much it cost. I do wish it was metal.

• an iPad Pro 12.9 will power it without any problems. I fact it will power the LPPMK3 and a Jam+ via an unpowered hub with no problem.

• the sequencers are incredibly fun to use and easy to get something going. Very immediate. It truly is the Circuit sequencer on steroids (without the rage). The only thing I might be doing is trying to label the settings pages because it’s a bit hard to remember what’s what when you’re staring at rows of different colored lights. But it might also be easier to remember with time. But also labeling your stuff is a great idea.

• the pads feel great for playing with Aftertouch but I’ve found that a lot of iOS synth developers do not know what Aftertouch is. The device sends both Poly Pressure and Channel Pressure and I’ve had issues with synths that allegedly respond to Aftertouch not responding to either style message (also selectable from the device!).This point is probably the most disappointing because I’m looking to use the device as my sole controller with my iPad Pro for a very small set up (which is the only thing I have time for)… The only app that responded “properly” was a very straightforward and simple DX7 emulation. I blame MPE for adding confusion to this whole issue. I’d love to try it with my DigiTone, but… time…

• you can change almost all of the settings from the device. For example, even on the custom templates you can change the MIDI channel from the device. It’s the details!

• when in sequencer mode I’m not sure that the pads send out Aftertouch. Might need more testing.

• the rows or columns as MIDI CC faders thing is weird. I couldn’t get them to respond as smoothly as Ricky Tinez did in his NAMM2020 videos but I am also not as smooth as Rocky Tinez in general.

• I’m excited to try this thing with a very simple synth, like my Korg Volca Keys.

Feel free to ask me anything, with the caveat that I won’t be able to try anything new until I have another opportunity to mess with it.

• edited January 2020

PPG, Moog and Spacecraft Granular support the various types of pressure messages extremely well @papertiger

I'm sure there are others but I don't have my poly aftertouch controller anymore to test this stuff.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    PPG, Moog and Spacecraft Granular support the various types of pressure messages extremely well @papertiger

I'm sure there are others but I don't have my poly aftertouch controller anymore to test this stuff.

Thanks! I appreciate the tips. :smile:

• @TheSoundKid said:
    At first it looked promising. But in reality, no knobs, not deep sequencing capabilities and spending 350 bucks for this is not good choice. Akai APC 40 mk2 / push 2 can be a good choice.

Whereas what I found is launchpad x which is excellent choice for iOS music making & also good pair for APC 40 mk2

I got the launchpad x a few weeks ago and returned it because it was annoying that I had to update it on a mac to get it to load the midisynthcontrol layouts. However, more importantly: I couldn't find a way to map the side and top buttons. They just stayed inactive in the regular mode. Has novation updated the X to allow the side buttons to be mapped? I saw recently that Grid Instrument was updated to support it, then I came across this post and got curious

• Several of the iOS synths I was having issues with are working with Aftertouch (Channel Pressure flavor) now.

• I’ve corrected my bullet point about Aftertouch: the iOS DAW I was using (NanoStudio 2) does not support Aftertouch. Aftertouch in the LPMK3 works great!