Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best GM standard Drumkit app

Hi, what’s the best GM standard app that has AU support? I have many midi files that I have to render using Roland Soundcanvas as IAA, but I would like something with better sounds.
Regards.

Comments

• edited January 2020

@ecstaticax said:
    Hi, what’s the best GM standard app that has AU support? I have many midi files that I have to render using Roland Soundcanvas as IAA, but I would like something with better sounds.
    Regards.

I guess you can take time and set up EG Pulse how ever you like.. and there is Bram Bos’s Ruismaker/FM..

Edit.. @ElliottGarage has been really quiet recently.. Must be cooking up something special for EG Pulse..

Forgot about DigiStix also..

• Oh.. and BeatHawk 2.

• Is beat hawk drum mapped in general midi?

• edited January 2020

Many of BeatHawk's drum kits are GM compatible, e.g., 808, 909, Drum Designer(s)

• edited January 2020

This Mozaic plugin may help remap as needed: https://patchstorage.com/remap-multi-channel-midi-drums/

Xequence 2 has built-in drum maps, by the way

• Bs-16i is auv3 and plenty of GM kits are available. Imho this one covers the full GM drum range. Didistix and EG Pulse are really good but I couldn’t find anything that mapped to the full GM standard drum range like you are expecting from sound canvas.

• edited January 2020

@ecstaticax said:
    Regards.

Hi, it is apparently not so well known but DrumPerfect Pro come with an excellent GM drum kit ( better that the Roland Sound Canvas ( imho ) as well as an advanced midi import extracting the drums part from standard midi files and quickly converting them into patterns and a song. Which can be then finely tweaked with humanized and other functions. With this enhanced kit ( multisampled ) come a selection of 64 patterns with ( dynamic variations ) of worldwide styles ( Rock, pop, jazz, blues, latin, funk, etc... ).

Midi export of patterns or full song is easy.

Inserted as a midi sender in Audiobus DPP can control any other midi (drum) module ( BeatHawk, bs-16, etc... )

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/19346/drumperfect-pro-now-updated-with-midi-out-how-to-start-using-it

Last but not least DPP while not being Auv3 itself, come with a Auv3 player ( DPPlayer ) which plays any song or playlist of songs loaded as presets. It is in fact a stripped down version of DPP without editing/import-export commands; a player.

• edited January 2020

@ecstaticax said:
    Regards.

Cubasis , imports them right
    also visually great , can also reassign any error filled lines quickly ( not the greatest drum samples though).

Drumperfect Pro , you can get easily lost with this app ( GUI has a learning curve)

Another app with nice sample is Gladstone ( KG) .. but not GM

You have to remap samples. One time process only

• Thanks to all of your answers

• @Moderndaycompiler said:
    Bs-16i is auv3 and plenty of GM kits are available. Imho this one covers the full GM drum range. Didistix and EG Pulse are really good but I couldn’t find anything that mapped to the full GM standard drum range like you are expecting from sound canvas.

+1

• Just bought EG Pulse because of this thread. But I see the drum kit instruments vary in pad order and MIDI assignments. How easy is it to reassign the MIDI to the GM standard?

Thanks,
    Joe

P.S. What IS the GM assignment standard for a drum kit? (Drum=99, Snare=99, etc.)

• @joegrant413 said:

P.S. What IS the GM assignment standard for a drum kit? (Drum=99, Snare=99, etc.)

GIYF (Google Is Your Friend)
    https://www.midi.org/specifications-old/item/gm-level-1-sound-set

• McDMcD
    edited April 2022

@joegrant413 said:
    Just bought EG Pulse because of this thread. But I see the drum kit instruments vary in pad order and MIDI assignments. How easy is it to reassign the MIDI to the GM standard?

Thanks,
    Joe

Key#  Note    Drum Sound  Key#    Note    Drum Sound
    35    B0  Ac. Bass Drum   59  B2  Ride Cymbal 2
    36    C1  Bass Drum 1         60  C3  Hi Bongo
    37    C#1 Side Stick          61  C#3 Low Bongo
    38    D1  Acoustic Snare  62  D3  Mute Hi Conga
    39    Eb1 Hand Clap           63  Eb3 Open Hi Conga
    40    E1  Electric Snare  64  E3  Low Conga
    41    F1  Low Floor Tom   65  F3  High Timbale
    42    F#1 Closed Hi Hat   66  F#3 Low Timbale
    43    G1  High Floor Tom  67  G3  High Agogo
    44    Ab1 Pedal Hi-Hat            68  Ab3 Low Agogo
    45    A1  Low Tom         69  A3  Cabasa
    46    Bb1 Open Hi-Hat         70  Bb3 Maracas
    47    B1  Low-Mid Tom 71  B3  Short Whistle
    48    C2  Hi Mid Tom          72  C4  Long Whistle
    49    C#2 Crash Cymbal 1  73  C#4 Short Guiro
    50    D2  High Tom            74  D4  Long Guiro
    51    Eb2 Ride Cymbal 1   75  Eb4 Claves
    52    E2  Chinese Cymbal  76  E4  Hi Wood Block
    53    F2  Ride Bell                   77  F4  Low Wood Block
    54    F#2 Tambourine          78  F#4 Mute Cuica
    55    G2  Splash Cymbal   79  G4  Open Cuica
    56    Ab2 Cowbell                 80  Ab4 Mute Triangle
    57    A2  Crash Cymbal 2  81  A4  Open Triangle
    58    Bb2 Vibraslap            

• edited April 2022

FYI, the Behringer RD9 and AUM work together well. Also Rd9 and DrumJam. So I’m seeing how far well this drum machine hybrid workflow can take me. Also have the MPD218 hooked up for improv.

Need to check the RD9 MIDI assignments, but so far it seems to be the GM standard. It work also to slow down the RD9 to 20 bpm and solo play steps to trigger the MIDI.

I generally hate MIDI as a major creative buzzkill….. until it works.