Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GoVJ currently free

edited January 2020 in General App Discussion

Hi, I've just seen this has become a free download, formerly a $10 $8 app:
GoVJ - VJ video mixer by roboheadz ltd
https://apps.apple.com/de/app/govj-vj-video-mixer/id1028844660?l=en

Comments

• Thanks for the headsup, looks good

• Nice, works good. Fun to play with. B)

• @rs2000 said:
    Hi, I've just seen this has become a free download, formerly a $10 $8 app:
    GoVJ - VJ video mixer by roboheadz ltd
    https://apps.apple.com/de/app/govj-vj-video-mixer/id1028844660?l=en

Nice one.

• Nice, thanks.

• Thanks for the heads up, cool app.

• edited January 2020

FYI, the developer just released an “update” that adds a GoVJ watermark. Removing this watermark requires a $4.99 IAP. Now I understand why he just made GoVJ free.

I fully understand the need to generate revenue to fund development but this could have been handled better, especially for those of us who paid full price for the app before it went “free”. Perhaps he could have grandfathered those who paid $9+ in the past for this app, and instead “offered” the watermark removal IAP option to people who recently downloaded it for free.

Also, there was no mention of the watermark ”feature“ in the app description or the latest update’s release notes, which seems a bit deceptive.

I probably wouldn’t have had a problem with this if it was handled better, but it makes me wary that additional feature-crippling IAPs could be added in the future. Caveat emptor.

• @rbwfilm Wow, that’s pretty messed up.

• Don't update and email the developer for a response.

This is good news however for anyone wanting to start climbing the video learning curve.
    I feel your pain and appreciate the offer to test drive the app.

• @rbwfilm said:
    FYI, the developer just released an “update” that adds a GoVJ watermark. Removing this watermark requires a $4.99 IAP. Now I understand why he just made GoVJ free.

I fully understand the need to generate revenue to fund development but this could have been handled better, especially for those of us who paid full price for the app before it went “free”. Perhaps he could have grandfathered those who paid $9+ in the past for this app, and instead “offered” the watermark removal IAP option to people who recently downloaded it for free.

Also, there was no mention of the watermark ”feature“ in the app description or the latest update’s release notes, which seems a bit deceptive.

I probably wouldn’t have had a problem with this if it was handled better, but it makes me wary that additional feature-crippling IAPs could be added in the future. Caveat emptor.

Yep that is pretty scummy if you paid $9 for an app that has had a watermark added.

• That’s pretty skeet, I just won’t bother with the app anymore but it’s a bummer cos it was a good one

• Bummer and downer...

• I’m not too bummed because these types of things happen but I do think it erodes the credibility and reputation of the developer.

If you’re going to add an IAP you should provide additional functionality, not cripple existing features people have already paid for.

It’s a shame because it’s a good app and the developer is clearly talented.

Will update the thread if he gets back to me.
    https://roboheadz.com/

• I wonder if this might not violate some App Store rule. Crippling/hobbling a paid app seems like a no-no. Unless everyone that paid gets the IAP for free.

• I have just removed the watermark by deleting the app.

• @robosardine said:
    I have just removed the watermark by deleting the app.

+1

• FYI, I heard from the developer. He was apologetic and provided a promo code for the watermark IAP. I recommend that others who previously paid for GoVJ contact the developer at [email protected].

While I am aware of the sometimes harsh reality of iOS development, I still maintain that this transition to a freemium model could have been better handled. On principle, I can't support developers who remove functionality from already paid for apps.

On the bright side I am looking forward to a future version of the app with MIDI support, with a potential release this summer.

I'll suggest that the developer consider setting up an account on this forum to get input and feedback, along with beta testers.

I’ve had to update the way GoVJ is sold. Unless it makes more revenue then I was facing the decision of working on something else, and removing GoVJ from the store. Going “freemium” allows me to increase the number of people who try the app, and hopefully buy a purchase. Obviously, I’d rather not affect existing customers like yourself adversely with that though.

I’m working on version 2 of the app, with a planned release of July this year provided things do well. This should bring new effects, MIDI support, and a bunch of other things to make it even better.

I'd really like to hear more about how users such as yourself are using the app. If you have a minute to describe how you VJ with it and the type of set up you have, I’d love to hear more.

Thanks a lot,

Dave
    David W - roboheadz.com

• At @rbwfilm’s suggestion, I thought I’d join the forum!

Firstly, apologies for the inconvenience to existing users while I changed things over to the new model for GoVJ. It really wasn’t my intention to make people pay twice, or to have paid and have reduced functionality.

A good craftsman shouldn’t blame his tools, but, the iOS SDKs don’t make validating whether a user was previously a paid one or not, very easy. I cut a corner not going the longer route to making sure I could do this for people before the freemium update.

A couple of weekends later, and I now have an update with version 1.7 that allows original GoVJ users to remove the watermark without paying extra. I’ve tested this out, but if anyone has any issues then please drop me a line on the support inbox.

The whole change hasn’t really sat very well with me. On the one hand, I want to make the app more sustainable to justify the time spent, and on the other I don’t want to be leaving anyone feeling ripped off.

So, I’m focusing on how I can add value, and just make the app better for people to use.

Version 2.0 is a complete rebuild that takes advantage of the latest iOS updates. MIDI is the first feature beyond existing functionality I want to add, followed by a recording feature and more effects. If there’s anything people really want it to have, then I’m all ears!

Thanks for your time, and thanks to existing users for their patience over the last couple of weeks.

Cheers,

Dave

• Welcome @Daveroboheadz! I don’t own your app but respect to you for joining up and apologizing. Good luck with your app! 👍