Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[topic removed]

2»

Comments

• edited January 2020

@Gravitas Thanks for the update and resting on the 5SE 😊

Edit: I meant to say "testing" 😅

• @Svetlovska said:
    Huh. The latest update to the free app which I unfortunately downloaded appears to nerf it deliberately and push you to the pro version?

FWIW, the CPU hit in the PE version seems much improved over the previous versions. Btw, on my device, opening a window for Atom (even if it isn’t doing anything), drives the CPU use way down for Convolutor PE on my iPad 6th Gen.

Running AudioLayer through Convolutor PE with Universe PE preset (24 second IR) and a buffer of 1024 with Atom open, shows a CPU hit of 14% which jumps to 74-108% when Atom is closed.

• edited January 2020

@Faland @TheOriginalPaulB : this is not a dig at the developer, I appreciate what all the devs do, and it would be singularly ungracious to complain about a free app. What I mean is, I was using the free app quite happily, having worked out how to load a setting, which was not immediately obvious to me (I gave up on Rooms for the same reason. Yes, I know, ‘rtfm’, but with most apps these days, I am ‘tldr’. Colour me impatient. ) After the download of the latest update however, the newly repositioned IR button opens the same folder list as before, but these are now all greyed out for me and cannot be accessed, and the app no longer adds reverb to a signal when placed in my AUM FX slot on my iPad 2019. I was using it successfully before (see my advice to someone else having what I now realise is probably the same problem I have now seemingly acquired, above). The scrolling folder list now displays a prominent ‘i’ button, and clicking on this takes me to an announcement for the manual to the pro paid for version. I made the not unreasonable supposition that the apparent prevention of access to the impulses coupled with a prominent prompt to a text on the paid for app, in an app which was working just fine for me in the previous iteration was not a bug, but a feature. I posed my comment as a question for the very reason that I thought it strange that a dev would deliberately nerf their own app - it was a genuine question, not snark. Apologies to anyone, including the dev, who may have thought otherwise. Blame my infelicitous poverty of expression. Always happy to take responsibility for what I write, without prompting. And for the record, I am a she, not a he.

• @TheOriginalPaulB said:

@Faland said:

@Svetlovska said:
    Huh. The latest update to the free app which I unfortunately downloaded appears to nerf it deliberately and push you to the pro version?

These kinds of comments were also made for the latest Cubasis 2 update. But how can you think that Steinberg, Jens or any other serious dev, and they are the vast majority, could even imagine such a stupid and counterproductive strategy?
    It seems to me offensive to ours and their intelligence as well as totally unfair.

Why not wait for the more detailed explanation before judging?

He spoke clearly of deliberate action, in producing a failed update with the intention of pushing users of his free app to buy the paid version. I'm not judging anyone, but people should take responsibility for what they write.

I wonder the meaning of your comment, since I do not understand what there is to explain, at least that he does not have concrete and incontrovertible proof of what he claims, which in my opinion is unlikely.
    However, if someone, rather sensitive, has felt offended, I apologize for this.

• @Svetlovska said:
    @Faland: this is not a dig at the developer, I appreciate what all the devs do, and it would be singularly ungracious to complain about a free app. What I mean is, I was using the free app quite happily, having worked out how to load a setting, which was not immediately obvious to me (I gave up on Rooms for the same reason. Yes, I know, ‘rtfm’, but with most apps these days, I am ‘tldr’. Colour me impatient. ) After the download of the latest update however, the newly repositioned IR button opens the same folder list as before, but these are all greyed out for me and cannot be accessed, and the app no longer adds reverb to a signal when placed in my AUM FX slot on my iPad 2019. I was using it successfully before (see my advice to someone else having what I now realise is probably the same problem I have now seemingly acquired, above). The scrolling folder list now displays a prominent ‘i’ button, and clicking on this takes me to an announcement for the manual to the pro paid for version. I posed my comment as a question for the very reason that I thought it strange that a dev would deliberately nerf their own app - it was a genuine question, not snark. Apologies to anyone, including the dev, who may have thought otherwise. Blame my poverty of expression.

It is working fine for me. Have you tried rebooting? If that doesn’t work, maybe delete and reinstall.

Generally, it is best to assume that problems and bugs aren’t intentional. You can just say, “This version isn’t working for me but the previous version worked. What happens now is.....”

• @Svetlovska said:
    @Faland @TheOriginalPaulB : this is not a dig at the developer, I appreciate what all the devs do, and it would be singularly ungracious to complain about a free app. What I mean is, I was using the free app quite happily, having worked out how to load a setting, which was not immediately obvious to me (I gave up on Rooms for the same reason. Yes, I know, ‘rtfm’, but with most apps these days, I am ‘tldr’. Colour me impatient. ) After the download of the latest update however, the newly repositioned IR button opens the same folder list as before, but these are all greyed out for me and cannot be accessed, and the app no longer adds reverb to a signal when placed in my AUM FX slot on my iPad 2019. I was using it successfully before (see my advice to someone else having what I now realise is probably the same problem I have now seemingly acquired, above). The scrolling folder list now displays a prominent ‘i’ button, and clicking on this takes me to an announcement for the manual to the pro paid for version. I posed my comment as a question for the very reason that I thought it strange that a dev would deliberately nerf their own app - it was a genuine question, not snark. Apologies to anyone, including the dev, who may have thought otherwise. Blame my infelicitous poverty of expression.

This is a very fair comment, and it clarifies everything, I think. Cheers 🤟

• @richardyot said:
    I have the Samplicity IRs which seem to be stereo, although there are two files (left and right), not four, in each folder (plus an mono-to-stereo version as well).

These used to be available as a free download, but now they can only be found on the WayBackMachine. I have them in my Dropbox though if anyone wants to grab them:

Samplicity M7 IRs

Thanks a lot @richardyot !

• @Faland said:

@Svetlovska said:
    @Faland @TheOriginalPaulB : this is not a dig at the developer, I appreciate what all the devs do, and it would be singularly ungracious to complain about a free app. What I mean is, I was using the free app quite happily, having worked out how to load a setting, which was not immediately obvious to me (I gave up on Rooms for the same reason. Yes, I know, ‘rtfm’, but with most apps these days, I am ‘tldr’. Colour me impatient. ) After the download of the latest update however, the newly repositioned IR button opens the same folder list as before, but these are all greyed out for me and cannot be accessed, and the app no longer adds reverb to a signal when placed in my AUM FX slot on my iPad 2019. I was using it successfully before (see my advice to someone else having what I now realise is probably the same problem I have now seemingly acquired, above). The scrolling folder list now displays a prominent ‘i’ button, and clicking on this takes me to an announcement for the manual to the pro paid for version. I posed my comment as a question for the very reason that I thought it strange that a dev would deliberately nerf their own app - it was a genuine question, not snark. Apologies to anyone, including the dev, who may have thought otherwise. Blame my infelicitous poverty of expression.

a) Told you.
    b) I wasn’t offended.

• @TheOriginalPaulB said:

@Faland said:

@Svetlovska said:

a) Told you.
    b) I wasn’t offended.

🤝

• @Faland said:

@TheOriginalPaulB said:

@Faland said:

@Svetlovska said:

a) Told you.
    b) I wasn’t offended.

🤝

:)

• How do you load the 2 files to have this stereo effect? I see how to add one file but then don't find a way to have two files (L+R) processed simultaneously

• @cuscolima said:
    How do you load the 2 files to have this stereo effect? I see how to add one file but then don't find a way to have two files (L+R) processed simultaneously

Do you mean true stereo? If so, you would need two instances of the AU each on its own bus. You would load the IR for processing the left channel input to it and load the right channel IR into the other one. You would route the left channel if you audio to the left channel instance and send the right channel audio to the other one.

I don't have Pro . So I am not sure if there is some other way, also. This also would work with other AU convolvers.

• @espiegel123 said:

@cuscolima said:
    How do you load the 2 files to have this stereo effect? I see how to add one file but then don't find a way to have two files (L+R) processed simultaneously

Do you mean true stereo? If so, you would need two instances of the AU each on its own bus. You would load the IR for processing the left channel input to it and load the right channel IR into the other one. You would route the left channel if you audio to the left channel instance and send the right channel audio to the other one.

I don't have Pro . So I am not sure if there is some other way, also. This also would work with other AU convolvers.

Thanks, I will try to see if it worth the CPU "investment"

• @cuscolima said:

@espiegel123 said:

@cuscolima said:

I got the Pro plugin and notice that on his web site that he says to use two instances (as I described above) if you want to do true stereo convolution -- which as he points out may not be worth the extra processing (at least in some cases).

Are you having any luck with your own IRs?

• @espiegel123 said:

@cuscolima said:

@espiegel123 said:

@cuscolima said:

I got the Pro plugin and notice that on his web site that he says to use two instances (as I described above) if you want to do true stereo convolution -- which as he points out may not be worth the extra processing (at least in some cases).

Are you having any luck with your own IRs?

It seems I was wrong then about true stereo being the USP of this plugin then. In which case it seems hard to recommend this over IMPULstation, which seems to be much more CPU efficient. The JAX plugin does have more controls though, including filters, which might make it a better choice in some cases.

• @espiegel123 said:

@cuscolima said:

@espiegel123 said:

@cuscolima said:

Are you having any luck with your own

There are a couple of things that the manual doesn’t mention. Convolutor Pro expects IRs to have a sample rate of 48k (the manual says 44.1kHz). If one imports a 44.1 kHz file, the samples are imported into a 48 kHz file without sample rate conversion (so the resulting file’s duration is 10% shorter than the original). It also expects the IR to have been pre-normalized before import.

• Hopefully Jens will address this, but the Dry/Wet mix still has the dry signal mixed in when it is set to maximum Wetness.

• rcfrcf
    edited January 2020

@espiegel123 said:
    Hopefully Jens will address this, but the Dry/Wet mix still has the dry signal mixed in when it is set to maximum Wetness.

I mainly use full wet special effects impulse responses, so this is a real problem for me.

I'd also love to be able to access, backup and generally manage my user made IRs from within the app or iOS Files. All of that is possible within Rooms!

• @White said:
    This has just been released, not to be confused with JAX Convolutor PE (Audio Unit) which was released earlier!

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1494157807

Description:

Remarks: This is an Audio Unit, but you have to open the distribution app ones at least to install the included IR file library.

Convolution is a highly complex signal processing approach, that needs some certain computation power. The recorded impulse response of a real world environment is used to render a reverberation effect onto any audio material, so that it sounds like the source was played in that original room or at that location. Some further adjustments and manipulations can be applied to refine these results.

Now this all may sound somewhat naive at first listen but the entire calculation is extremely complex math, so that the very first processors and computers were able to perform this in realtime rather around the end of the last millennium.

Basically, the impulse responses and the audio stream are completely analyzed with FFT algorithms and then the entire analysis data will be cross-modulated into the realtime audio stream by performing a repeated highly performance intensive re-synthesis and accumulation processing for each analysis block of the impulse response.

Therefore it is a crucial performance factor that you use JAX Convolutor with larger processing buffer sizes (1024) samples. Shorter buffers may raise the CPU hit exorbitantly for several reasons.

The manual is embedded into the main app.

@White said:
    This has just been released, not to be confused with JAX Convolutor PE (Audio Unit) which was released earlier!

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1494157807

Description:

Remarks: This is an Audio Unit, but you have to open the distribution app ones at least to install the included IR file library.

Convolution is a highly complex signal processing approach, that needs some certain computation power. The recorded impulse response of a real world environment is used to render a reverberation effect onto any audio material, so that it sounds like the source was played in that original room or at that location. Some further adjustments and manipulations can be applied to refine these results.

Now this all may sound somewhat naive at first listen but the entire calculation is extremely complex math, so that the very first processors and computers were able to perform this in realtime rather around the end of the last millennium.

Basically, the impulse responses and the audio stream are completely analyzed with FFT algorithms and then the entire analysis data will be cross-modulated into the realtime audio stream by performing a repeated highly performance intensive re-synthesis and accumulation processing for each analysis block of the impulse response.

Therefore it is a crucial performance factor that you use JAX Convolutor with larger processing buffer sizes (1024) samples. Shorter buffers may raise the CPU hit exorbitantly for several reasons.

The manual is embedded into the main app.

This app is special!

Better than the much more expensive apps I have bought.

I buy all this dev apps to support him or her. Not sure.

• edited January 2020

@espiegel123, @rcf
    What you describe sounds like the included IRs have not yet been separated from the impulse itself???
    Please import an IR without the initial transient and check if the 100% wet signal still contains the original signal.

An easy hack is to take a long hall IR and just cut out the initial impulse using a wave editor, so the IR starts slowly.

(Background: The convolution of a needle/dirac impulse with your signal results in your signal, only with lower energy but the same sound.)

• @rs2000 said:
    @espiegel123, @rcf
    What you describe sounds like the included IRs have not yet been separated from the impulse itself???
    Please import an IR without the initial transient and check if the 100% wet signal still contains the original signal.

An easy hack is to take a long hall IR and just cut out the initial impulse using a wave editor, so the IR starts slowly.

(Background: The convolution of a needle/dirac impulse with your signal results in your signal, only with lower energy but the same sound.)

Yes, this was with my own IRs. And I believe Jens confirmed this in a message he sent me. I believe there is an update in the pipeline which may address this.

• edited January 2020

Impulse response on iOS is really impressive. Iam now dreaming of Nebula type of software on iOS . Will email Jens and @GospelMusicians . Imagine having responses from hardware mixing consoles etc. I imagine cpu would take a massive hit though.

• @rs2000 : the update is out that now has a proper full wet setting.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @rs2000 : the update is out that now has a proper full wet setting.

Cool, good to know. Thanks.

• @espiegel123 said:

Full wet reverbs almost work in AUM now; unfortunately Im getting a very short few milliseconds burst of dry signal appearing on the first pluck of my electric mandola strings? Modifying the attack portion or delaying the start of the IR in app doesn't make any difference. State saving doesn't appear to work either. To recreate a patch within a saved AUM sessions, I have to manually load the IR in each channel instance of the app before loading the JAX preset.

• @rcf said:

@espiegel123 said:

Full wet reverbs almost work in AUM now; unfortunately Im getting a very short few milliseconds burst of dry signal appearing on the first pluck of my electric mandola strings? Modifying the attack portion or delaying the start of the IR in app doesn't make any difference. State saving doesn't appear to work either. To recreate a patch within a saved AUM sessions, I have to manually load the IR in each channel instance of the app before loading the JAX preset.

You should let him know via email.

• Does anyone know how to contact the developer? their website seems to be down and I would like to let them know that IR preset selections are not saved with projects within hosts and start with the default IR every time the project is loaded

• @annahahn said:
    Does anyone know how to contact the developer? their website seems to be down and I would like to let them know that IR preset selections are not saved with projects within hosts and start with the default IR every time the project is loaded

Try again on https://midi.digitster.com/
    On the bottom of the page you'll find the contact mail address.