Audiobus: Use your music apps together.
What is Audiobus? — Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.Download on the App Store
Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.
Learn to Program MIDI by typing in Mozaic scripts
I'm going to teach you MIDI Programming in Mozaic with a series of typing exercises.
All you need to learn is a text editor but a pencil would also suffice to learn the concepts
Here's Exercise #1 called:
// EX 1: The MIDI Echo Effect
@OnMidiInput SendMIDIOut MIDIByte1, MIDIByte2, MIDIByte3, 0 SendMIDIOut MIDIByte1, MIDIByte2, MIDIByte3, 1000 SendMIDIOut MIDIByte1, MIDIByte2, MIDIByte3, 2000 @End
That's it! You've just typed a useful MIDI echo.
What does it do? Every line has a specific result:
Every MIDI event that passes through Mosaic with this typing loaded gets processed by the next 3 Commands. Tap a note on a keyboard and 2 events are generated. A Note on a specific with 3 values: 1. Channel that is available in Mosaic as MIDIByte1 2. A Note value that will be available as MIDIByte2 3. A Note Velocity that will be available as MIDIByte3
SendMIDIOut MIDIByte1, MIDIByte2, MIDIByte3, 0
This command takes the incoming MIDI event and sends it out (unchanged really).
SendMIDIOut MIDIByte1, MIDIByte2, MIDIByte3, 1000
This is the same command with an added 4th value. This value is a timing delay of 1000. That's 1000 milliseconds and Mozaic will do the timing and send this out at the right time as echo #1.
SendMIDIOut MIDIByte1, MIDIByte2, MIDIByte3, 2000
This line sends out the 2nd echo with a 2,000 millisecond delay.
This tells Mozaic that this is all we need to do for each MIDI Input event.
You have just typed a usable and modifiable Mozaic script. You are a coder assuming you can type. (My typing is abysmal).
That's it for Exercise #1.
OPTIONAL FREE STYLE TYPING:
You can change the MIDI channel by adding or subtracting from MIDIByte1:
MIDIByte1 = MIDIByte1 + 1
For example. The same is true for Notes and Velocities in MIDIByte2 and MIDIByte 3.
Each echo could change the note or the volume for example with some extra typing.
If you want a lot more typing send each note out on all 16 channels. Can you ever get enough
- Will you type these script examples in an editor to create new pathways in your brain?6 votes
- Yes. I can see the value of practice making scripts that do MIDI processing.66.67%
- No But I will follow the thread to learn more about MIDI and programming.33.33%
- Will you buy the Mozaic MIDI FX App and run some of the examples and make changes?6 votes
- Yes. I appreciate the challenge of trying new ways of producing music.66.67%
- No. It's not a great investment for my musical needs.33.33%
- Can you type more than 20 words per minute already?6 votes
- Not without many errors.33.33%
- Yes. But not not the iPhone without stimulants. (Can you get any stimulants?)66.67%