Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SynthMaster One v1.3 Universal live

Comments

• edited January 2020

• edited January 2020

@anickt said:

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@anickt said:
    Looks like SM1 is looking for vertical movement. I found that horizontal movements would sometimes cause this issue but vertical never.

Our knobs and sliders have always worked with vertical movement and this hasn't change since day one. If you move away from the control in x axis while changing its value that's used for fine adjusting the value.

OK I get it. Vertical movement only is coarse adjustment. Once the control is active (circle appears) you can move your finger off of it to see it moving as long as you’re moving only one direction at a time. Moving slowly in X direction while also moving vertically up or down (kind of a slow diagonal motion) is for fine adjustment. Feedback for value is in the window top center below the current preset name. Makes perfect sense to me now.

When using fullscreen or maximized AU the connection to the knob never breaks regardless of how you move your finger. It is always connected. This is a good thing and the way the minimized AU used to work. It should still work this way. As long as your finger is on the glass the initialy selected dial should always be connected to your finger. Show me any iOS synth that is not like this. This clearly has broken since the last update.

• edited January 2020

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@anickt said:
    Looks like SM1 is looking for vertical movement. I found that horizontal movements would sometimes cause this issue but vertical never.

Our knobs and sliders have always worked with vertical movement and this hasn't change since day one. If you move away from the control in x axis while changing its value that's used for fine adjusting the value.

Ok, then by that description you should be able to approach the dial horizontally from the onset and maintain connection, regardless of how quickly you actually move your finger. In the minimized AU you cannot do this.

EDIT: The bug is now...

“When the AU is minimized the user is unable to instantiate dial movement via quick horizontal finger movement (fine adjustment) and maintain connection with the dial.”

@kv331audio_bulent can you repro this?

(PS. I do this to get my finger out of the way of the dial.)

• edited January 2020

@AudioGus said:

@anickt said:

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@anickt said:

OK I get it. Vertical movement only is coarse adjustment. Once the control is active (circle appears) you can move your finger off of it to see it moving as long as you’re moving only one direction at a time. Moving slowly in X direction while also moving vertically up or down (kind of a slow diagonal motion) is for fine adjustment. Feedback for value is in the window top center below the current preset name. Makes perfect sense to me now.

When using fullscreen or maximized AU the connection to the knob never breaks regardless of how you move your finger. It is always connected. This is a good thing and the way the minimized AU used to work. It should still work this way. As long as your finger is on the glass the initialy selected dial should always be connected to your finger. Show me any iOS synth that is not like this. This clearly has broken since the last update.

The connection will break if you move your finger quickly yes. But horizontal movement is meant to be slow for fine adjustment and it does not break in that case. I didn’t find it difficult to work with once I got the feel for it which only took a moment. I wonder if it has something to do with the function of swiping between panels and differentiating those movements which would only apply to the minimized version.

• edited January 2020

@anickt said:

@AudioGus said:

@anickt said:

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@anickt said:

The connection will break if you move your finger quickly yes. But horizontal movement is meant to be slow for fine adjustment and it does not break in that case. I didn’t find it difficult to work with once I got the feel for it which only took a moment.

Yes, lots of synths do this. horizontal adjustment of the parameter is slower. It does not mean you have to move your finger slower. Try it in fullscreen. The connection never breaks. There should not be a speed limit to the speed you move you finger. Breaking the connection is bad. No iOS synth does this. Compare maximized and minmized.

Also notice the connection breaks within the first second or so of moving your finger horizontally, not the whole time.

Now you cannot instantly make a fine adjustment. You have to start a coarse adjustment, wait a second and then make a fine adjustment. Sloppy.

• @AudioGus said:

@anickt said:

@AudioGus said:

@anickt said:

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@anickt said:

The connection will break if you move your finger quickly yes. But horizontal movement is meant to be slow for fine adjustment and it does not break in that case. I didn’t find it difficult to work with once I got the feel for it which only took a moment.

Yes, lots of synths do this. horizontal adjustment of the parameter is slower. It is does not mean you have to move your finger slower. Try it in fullscreen. The connection never breaks. There should not be a speed limit to the speed you move you finger. Breaking the connection is bad. No iOS synth does this. Compare maximized and minmized.

Also notice the connection breaks within the first second or so of moving your finger.

See the final statement I added to my previous post.

• @anickt said:

@AudioGus said:

@anickt said:

@AudioGus said:

@anickt said:

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@anickt said:

Yes, lots of synths do this. horizontal adjustment of the parameter is slower. It is does not mean you have to move your finger slower. Try it in fullscreen. The connection never breaks. There should not be a speed limit to the speed you move you finger. Breaking the connection is bad. No iOS synth does this. Compare maximized and minmized.

Also notice the connection breaks within the first second or so of moving your finger.

See the final statement I added to my previous post.

Ditto, we should chat on the phone.

• edited January 2020

@anickt said:

I wonder if it has something to do with the function of swiping between panels and differentiating those movements which would only apply to the minimized version.

Yah I said that in my video that no one watched. Lol. So I have deleted my videos as now the bug clearly is...

“When the AU is minimized the user is unable to instantiate dial movement via quick horizontal finger movement (fine adjustment) and maintain connection with the dial.”

(PS. I do this to get my finger out of the way of the dial.)

• @AudioGus said:

@anickt said:

I wonder if it has something to do with the function of swiping between panels and differentiating those movements which would only apply to the minimized version.

Yah I said that in my video that no one watched. Lol

I watched it with the sound off while simultaneously watching the football game. 😆

• edited January 2020

@anickt said:

@AudioGus said:

@anickt said:

Yah I said that in my video that no one watched. Lol

I watched it with the sound off while simultaneously watching the football game. 😆

Hehe natural born QA. Alrighty, I updated my post with a succinct description written in sexy bold.

• @anickt said:

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@anickt said:

One thing that’s missing in a couple of places is the ability to set a knob to default. LFO and Env Amt in Filters and Velocity on Envelopes. Thanks @kv331audio_bulent

PS - there are some places where it would be nice to be able to enter a value directly rather than have to drag which can be fiddly if you’re trying to hit an exact value. I’m thinking mostly of any place that involves tuning.

Every knob and fader has a menu (just tap on them) with a Set To Default item inside it :smile:

Keying in accurate values manually was already suggested.

• @kv331audio_bulent
    A minor issue - marked some presets as Favorites and sync'ed with Cloud. All favorite flags including Favorites bank were gone after this action.

Quit SM1 and relaunched and Favorites bank and all my favorite presets came back.

Apparently, SM1 is not refreshing new favorites (only old favorites) after Sync with Cloud and needs relaunching to see the results.

• @MobileMusic said:

@anickt said:

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@anickt said:

One thing that’s missing in a couple of places is the ability to set a knob to default. LFO and Env Amt in Filters and Velocity on Envelopes. Thanks @kv331audio_bulent

PS - there are some places where it would be nice to be able to enter a value directly rather than have to drag which can be fiddly if you’re trying to hit an exact value. I’m thinking mostly of any place that involves tuning.

Every knob and fader has a menu (just tap on them) with a Set To Default item inside it :smile:

Keying in accurate values manually was already suggested.

I know about that menu. A couple of knobs do not have it. I mentioned them in my post you quoted. I know keying in manual values has been suggested but if it’s brought up by more than one person it’s more likely to be addressed.

• @AudioGus said:

@Jocphone said:

@AudioGus said:

@Jocphone said:

@AudioGus said:

@Jocphone said:
    Enjoying SM One now that most of the UI works correctly

Are you experiencing any issues rotating dials with less than perfectly vertical movement when using it as an AU as a minimized half height UI (if this question makes sense)?

If you mean when the AU window is half height, no i just tried all the dials and saw no issues.

Do you try rotating the dial horizontally or diagonally, comparing half and full height? For me it often cuts out when it is at half height.

Ah i see what you mean @AudioGus I usually drag them up and down With no issue. But if i drag more horizontally thEn it gets a bit jittery. You know what the answer to that is..? :wink:

It is clearly broken then and they need to fix it. i spent two years building up a muscle memory using this thing while walking around etc. Select dial, move finger to the side, select dial, move finger to the side. There is no way I can just update my UI dial habits that smoothly, particularly considering every other iOS synth on the planet does not break the connection to the dial, ever.

For me it feels ok. Didn't even see your issue until you suggested how to reproduce it.

• @Jocphone said:

@AudioGus said:

@Jocphone said:

@AudioGus said:

@Jocphone said:

@AudioGus said:

@Jocphone said:
    Enjoying SM One now that most of the UI works correctly

Are you experiencing any issues rotating dials with less than perfectly vertical movement when using it as an AU as a minimized half height UI (if this question makes sense)?

If you mean when the AU window is half height, no i just tried all the dials and saw no issues.

Do you try rotating the dial horizontally or diagonally, comparing half and full height? For me it often cuts out when it is at half height.

Ah i see what you mean @AudioGus I usually drag them up and down With no issue. But if i drag more horizontally thEn it gets a bit jittery. You know what the answer to that is..? :wink:

It is clearly broken then and they need to fix it. i spent two years building up a muscle memory using this thing while walking around etc. Select dial, move finger to the side, select dial, move finger to the side. There is no way I can just update my UI dial habits that smoothly, particularly considering every other iOS synth on the planet does not break the connection to the dial, ever.

For me it feels ok. Didn't even see your issue until you suggested how to reproduce it.

We all have different lizard brains. i like to see the dial as quickly as possible. Some people just ear it without caring about the dial visualy.

• edited January 2020

i take it that the broken fx window is a known bug?

Ipad mini 2... ios 12.2...

IPad 10.5... ios 13.3...

• @AudioGus said:

IPad 10.5... ios 13.3...

Just released v1.3.5 update. This issue is fixed in 1.3.5

• @kv331audio_bulent said:

@AudioGus said:

IPad 10.5... ios 13.3...

Just released v1.3.5 update. This issue is fixed in 1.3.5

Wow, you win the Audiogus Quickest Bug Fix Ever Award. I assume the honour is momentous.

• @AudioGus said:

So far I can not reproduce this "break connection" issue. I'll test with a different iPad tomorrow, while flying to LAX for NAMM.

FYI: When you start parameter change for a knob/slider, that control is supposed to own the "touch" regardless of whether your finger is inside/outside the bounds of the control, unless the operating system cancels the touch.

• edited January 2020

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@AudioGus said:

So far I can not reproduce this "break connection" issue. I'll test with a different iPad tomorrow, while flying to LAX for NAMM.

FYI: When you start parameter change for a knob/slider, that control is supposed to own the "touch" regardless of whether your finger is inside/outside the bounds of the control, unless the operating system cancels the touch.

Cool cool! Just try quickly swiping on a dial horizontally in one smooth quick motion. Every ipad is exactly the same for me with the minimized AU. I will post a video.

• @kv331audio_bulent

OK, here is a new video. Please listen and watch as I explain a bit of the rationale behind this and show exactly how to repro it.

• @kv331audio_bulent : it looks like if you try to import a wavetable (via drag and drop) that SM1 finds to be poorly formatted (like not a multiple of 2048 samples), the files still get imported (and hence take up storage space). It would be good if the files didn't get stored if the wavetables can't be used.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @kv331audio_bulent : it looks like if you try to import a wavetable (via drag and drop) that SM1 finds to be poorly formatted (like not a multiple of 2048 samples), the files still get imported (and hence take up storage space). It would be good if the files didn't get stored if the wavetables can't be used.

Sure, will keep this in mind in the next update.

@espiegel123 said:
    @kv331audio_bulent : it looks like if you try to import a wavetable (via drag and drop) that SM1 finds to be poorly formatted (like not a multiple of 2048 samples), the files still get imported (and hence take up storage space). It would be good if the files didn't get stored if the wavetables can't be used.

Sure, will keep this in mind in the next update.

Is there any way for me to delete them other than uninstalling and reinstalling the app?

• Thanks so much for the Cubasis fix... all works correctly now. 1282 presets, with the new Desktop Products Upgrade. If there are some missing, it's hardly worth sniveling about. But if I were to snivel, would re-downloading the app and/or software upgrade reinstall the presets from scratch? But then the favorites would be lost I suppose. I just went to the "Online" bank, back to "Local," and the favorites were gone, but after restarting the app, they're back. Not a big deal at all, and thanks again for the fix.

• edited January 2020

@musikeer said:

But if I were to snivel, would re-downloading the app and/or software upgrade reinstall the presets from scratch? But then the favorites would be lost I suppose. I just went to the "Online" bank, back to "Local," and the favorites were gone, but after restarting the app, they're back. Not a big deal at all, and thanks again for the fix.

That's why we have the "cloud sync" feature. Please tap the preset name and tap "Sync My Presets with Cloud" menu. This will synchronize your SM1 related data across multiple machines by using our cloud.

• @AudioGus said:
    @kv331audio_bulent

OK, here is a new video. Please listen and watch as I explain a bit of the rationale behind this and show exactly how to repro it.

I'm glad to tell you that I fixed the issue while flying to London :smiley:

@AudioGus said:
    @kv331audio_bulent

• edited January 2020

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@AudioGus said:
    @kv331audio_bulent

You should fly more often :smiley:
    (I love flying)

• Thanks @kv331audio_bulent for your timely response in updating SM1. Great app and great support!

This discussion has been closed.