Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Spectrum Updated! (0.65 - Jan 2020)

Comments

• @t0dk0n based on your description in the other thread of what happened and the screenshot, I think you managed to lock up Spectrum. Once it's locked up it won't resize. Were you sending it notes or control? Was this in AUM or nanostudio? If you start with a fresh session does it behave properly?

• @burns_audio said:
    @FriedTapeworm do you have Mozaic? I believe @wim wrote an excellent spectrum Randomizer script. I'm not against making one eventually built in but have higher importance stuff to build first

could be part of the paid IAP in the future.

• @burns_audio I don’t have Mozaic, but I’ll check it out. It looked interesting, but out of my league as a noobie. I’ll get in contact with Wim and figure it out. Thanks!

• @FriedTapeworm said:
    @burns_audio I don’t have Mozaic, but I’ll check it out. It looked interesting, but out of my league as a noobie. I’ll get in contact with Wim and figure it out. Thanks!

Hey, if you don’t do your own scripting, Mozaic is simple. You can just run scripts IThe people have written. To use the Spectrum Randomizer script you just load the script, point Mozaic’s output to Spectrum, select which instrument you’re using, and hit randomize.

You might want to check out the comprehensive list of scripts graciously maintained by @_ki at https://wiki.audiob.us/mozaic_plugin_engine to see if there are enough scripts that like you’d make use of to make the purchase worthwhile.

If you decide to go ahead and need help setting it up, there’s always someone here to help. B)

• @[Deleted User] said:

@burns_audio said:
    @FriedTapeworm do you have Mozaic? I believe @wim wrote an excellent spectrum Randomizer script. I'm not against making one eventually built in but have higher importance stuff to build first

I love the irony of putting a randomizer in a “pro” IAP. :D

• @wim said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@burns_audio said:

I love the irony of putting a randomizer in a “pro” IAP. :D

😆

• @burns_audio
    i had a few problems using it in iphone 11 pro ... when used as effect, it freezes ... will try in ipad tonight

• First time really digging into Spectrum and in AUM its all working great. Its sound is amazing and in my experience very unique to ios. Excellent (free) app, Ill be happy to get an iap on this in the future. 5 star review left!

• @burns_audio love the update and interface improvements. Thanks!

@FriedTapeworm mozaic is really not as complicated as it looks. I made one simple script in the beginning just to see if I could, but I use the included scripts or shared scripts exclusively now. Most are very straight forward and easy to use with clear and simple instructions. There is the occasional esoteric niche script that doesn’t make any sense to me, but I just leave those to others to sort out and stick to the majority that are more clear.

In other words, Mozaic is easy and useful for even noobs if you just use the included scripts or most of them by users. It’s like getting 50+ midi apps for the low price of one. :)

• I love the spectrum Randomizer, created a lot of patches that way.

• Thank you for "quality" buffer on Clouds. That was what i wanted! It's great!

• @burns_audio said:
    The new pop up menus have a bug in iPhone that makes it hard or impossible to close the menus. It will get fixed this week.

Phew, thought I was going crazy...

• @burns_audio said:
    The new pop up menus have a bug in iPhone that makes it hard or impossible to close the menus. It will get fixed this week.

Same issue causing it to be totally unusable in NS2, iPhone XR? (Ie, starts loading, loads but can not interact with any controls)

• @iammane said:

@burns_audio said:

Same issue causing it to be totally unusable in NS2, iPhone XR? (Ie, starts loading, loads but can not interact with any controls)

The issue others have can be temporarily avoided by not clicking on the values of menu items and just use the right/left arrow.

Sounds like you have a separate issue. I'll try to reproduce it on my iPhone with NS2

• Cool - just to be safe I rebooted the phone and tried again, same deal. Audio works, the UI is just unresponsive

• @burns_audio Thanks for adding the quality setting to Clouds!

Any chance you could bring back portrait mode though? AUM only displays in portrait on iPhone, and Spectrum is stuck in landscape since the new update.

• @cretakano said:
    Any chance you could bring back portrait mode though? AUM only displays in portrait on iPhone, and Spectrum is stuck in landscape since the new update.

So, Spectrum now has a fixed render window and resizes to fit the screen. It used to reflow all the UI elements and it was endless headaches to try to design a UI that would stretch and look good in all use cases. As well portrait never could have large XY pads or other things.

So.. the old reflowing portrait UI isn't coming back, but I could probably force it to always be landscape so in AUM on iPhone it's at least a bit bigger (but landscape)

Regarding NS2 I haven't been able to reproduce yet on my iPhone 6. My wife has an XS, I will try on that later if I can steal it from her

• edited January 2020

@burns_audio said:

@cretakano said:

So, Spectrum now has a fixed render window and resizes to fit the screen. It used to reflow all the UI elements and it was endless headaches to try to design a UI that would stretch and look good in all use cases. As well portrait never could have large XY pads or other things.

So.. the old reflowing portrait UI isn't coming back, but I could probably force it to always be landscape so in AUM on iPhone it's at least a bit bigger (but landscape)

Regarding NS2 I haven't been able to reproduce yet on my iPhone 6. My wife has an XS, I will try on that later if I can steal it from her

Ah right, I'd probably choose tiny portrait mode over none at all!

Also having the exact same problems as @t0dk0n in the other thread. Spectrum is locking up every AUM session on iPhone X if I try to change the size of the window or switch from portrait to landscape, and I have to force quit and restart AUM for it load again. This is the only size it will display in landscape -

• @wim @skiphunt Thanks! I’m downloading it now, and will give it a shot.

• edited January 2020

I wasn't able to reproduce the lockup on my wife's phone with Garageband and Spectrum 0.65, or with my iphone or ipad. Going to try later with AUM on her XS.

I'm pretty sure I know the cause of the stagnant red microphone. It's because Spectrum has a retain cycle and when you free the instance it doesn't always free the AU node. This will be fixed in the next couple weeks, but I hopefully will have a fix for the iphone menu bug and UI lockup in the next couple days.

Cheers
    Tom

EDIT: found the bug, it only affects devices with 3x pixel density. Fix should go to app store tomorrow!

• @burns_audio said:
    I wasn't able to reproduce the lockup on my wife's phone with Garageband and Spectrum 0.65, or with my iphone or ipad. Going to try later with AUM on her XS.

I'm pretty sure I know the cause of the stagnant red microphone. It's because Spectrum has a retain cycle and when you free the instance it doesn't always free the AU node. This will be fixed in the next couple weeks, but I hopefully will have a fix for the iphone menu bug and UI lockup in the next couple days.

Cheers
    Tom

EDIT: found the bug, it only affects devices with 3x pixel density. Fix should go to app store tomorrow!

Awesome! Looking forward to it.

Thanks for your attention to this, and I just want to say thanks for putting out such an awesome app. Of all the apps I picked up and used last year, this one is my favorite. There's just something about the sonic character that's very appealing to me. I'm looking forward to when you release this as a paid product (hopefully you do!) and I have cash in hand waiting.

• thanks for the kind words @iammane !

Just released 0.66 to the App Store so it should be available in the next day. iPhone users can close popup menus (sorry 'bout that), and fixed the UI crash when resizing the window on 3x pixel scale devices (like iPhone X)

• edited January 2020

@burns_audio said:
    thanks for the kind words @iammane !

Just released 0.66 to the App Store so it should be available in the next day. iPhone users can close popup menus (sorry 'bout that), and fixed the UI crash when resizing the window on 3x pixel scale devices (like iPhone X)

Thanks for the quick fix, working great on iPhone X now. Loving the lo-fi mode in Clouds.

• Thanks for the confirmation @cretakano !

• @burns_audio Thanks for your work, great app!

Slight issue with granular, besides the lettering, I don’t see lfo 2.
    Any help?
    -thx

• I tend to forget to check out updates. Then I ask for a feature on the forum and I'm told it was added 3 months ago. Not cool. So, thanks for the heads up.

• Not 2nd LFO - but the second function affected by the output of the LFO

@hibjshop said:
    @burns_audio Thanks for your work, great app!

Slight issue with granular, besides the lettering, I don’t see lfo 2.
    Any help?
    -thx

• edited January 2020

@id_23 im a idiot, thx👍🏼

• @hibjshop said:
    @id_23 im a idiot, thx👍🏼

This is a fantastic creative delay

• edited January 2020

@hibjshop do you have larger text enabled? What locale is your phone set to? I'm not sure why some content is underlined and the text doesn't fit properly on your device.

edit: as for LFO2, it doesn't exist yet.. but hey those "pro" features gotta go somewhere right? :)