Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Synthjacker audiobus workflow or alternative?

Hello!

I just purchased synthjacker and am disappointed to find it does not seem to allow connection of audio input via Audiobus- this prevents me from recording audio from the iOS device without the use of an external interface

Is anyone aware of a Synthjacker alternative that will allow me to record audio from AUM or a way of getting Synthjacker to receive audio input from AUM or other sources on iOS?

Thank you so much!!

Comments

• You can use any iOS DAW with a piano roll to do the recording, see this thread:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/35665/tip-to-considerably-speed-up-synthjacker-sampling

• Hi, SynthJacker dev here: there is no Audiobus support mainly because I couldn’t figure out how to drive the transport that is needed to send the notes to the synths. Future development will focus more on the AUv3 side of things.

Hope you can still make use of SJ with the tips linked above. There’s now also a quick tutorial video on bringing in audio from the outside:

• I use the BYOF functionality. Now that I’m comfortable with the process and the file naming schemes for different apps, I prefer it over direct sampling.

• That sounds great @wim. If there's anything you think might improve the workflow, just let me know and I'll think about it.

Regarding the naming of the BYOAF or "Bring Your Own Audio File" feature: that was a small stroke of genius, if I say so myself. I only later found out that it has actually been used to refer to "Bring Your Own Airline Food" :smile:

• At least it’s not the new term of the day that offends some group of people somewhere. :D

• Threadjacker...

So if I want to sample some presets from the now deceased ZedSynth before it truly gives up the ghost, any tips on how best to sample the sounds?

• @gusgranite said:
    Threadjacker...

So if I want to sample some presets from the now deceased ZedSynth before it truly gives up the ghost, any tips on how best to sample the sounds?

As long as ZedSynth can accept midi and can be loaded into AUM then one route is to set up a midi file with the number of samples and layers that you think is appropriate in SynthJacker. Then load ZedSynth in AUM and a sequencer like Atom 2, LK, Helium, or Xequence2, and route midi to it. Arm the track to record and then record an audio file. You then bring that audio file into SynthJacker for slicing it up for the sampler of your choice.

If AudioLayer is your sampler of choice then it has a similar functionality built-in. Synthjacker is more flexible for use with other samplers.

• wimwim
    edited April 2021

Also, something to think about with sampling: delays, reverbs, etc, if present in the synth preset you're using are baked into the audio that gets sliced up. I find this is usually not a good way to go, especially if those things are tempo synced. In fact, I try to sample the driest patch I can unless the FX are just completely integral to the sound and re-creating them with external FX wouldn't be practical.

• Awesome @wim - thank you. These will be for BM3 primarily so will try with Synthjacker first. Cheers.

• wimwim
    edited April 2021

@gusgranite said:
    Awesome @wim - thank you. These will be for BM3 primarily so will try with Synthjacker first. Cheers.

There may be a naming convention for BM3 sample import to make things easier. If you can find that then SynthJacker has flexible naming options that can help.

• @gusgranite said:
    Threadjacker...

I would do it this way, using a DAW such as Cubasis:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/35665/tip-to-considerably-speed-up-synthjacker-sampling