Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The state of current electronic music

Comments

• Nice conversation. My tuppence worth -

I'm 60 years old, and I started making electronic music back in 1979, or at least what I call electronic music. Nothing will ever affect you the way the music you heard when you are about 14 years old did, and if you aren't very careful nothing will ever sound as good again! I know plenty of non-musicians who are like this, and a few musicians too (although I have been lucky enough to find ones who like to keep moving).

But it's too easy to dismiss what's happening now, as if it's shallow and less important than what went before. I think modern music, of any genre, is great! I love the Billie Eilish album, which to me is almost entirely electronic. Does her voice mean it isn't? I don't think so. Depends on your definition.

What about The 1975? I saw them take ten minutes out of their concert in front of 12,000 silent and awestruck teenage fans to perform an instrumental piece that Brian Eno would have been proud of, and almost everything they do is electronically derived.

If you stick to what you know then you'll never know anything else.

To me electronic music is almost ubiquitous now. I don't see any realistic dividing line between The 1975 and Tangerine Dream and New Order and M83 and Royksopp, or any artist that's using electronics creatively. The melting pot is is in full flow.

Music today is in the best condition its ever been, because not only do we have what's happening now, with its relevance to the 14 year olds of today, we have everything that was ever recorded going back as far as 1877, and all points in between.

If you love music (of any kind, as a creator or consumer or both) now is the best time there's ever been. And it's just going to get better and better!

• Well said @periurban. Wish this class was available to me back in 1969... well worth the 30 minutes to view.
    Some very Zappa and Dr. Nerve like concepts here.

• A genre is a bit like a river. The greatest sensory changes you’ll ever experience are when you first dive in. Once you’ve been floating downstream for a while along with the other flotsam, changes will seem less abrupt.

• Other than Facebook groups, my two main sources for listening to new electronica are Resident Adviser https://www.residentadvisor.net/ and the Bandcamp app.

The Bandcamp app is brilliant as it lets you filter by genre but then also by location. So you can get really granular (no pun intended) and listen to new techno being released in Lagos or new hip hop coming out of Athens. Etc.

• edited January 2020

Since this is a mobile music type forum, I think the most innovative person in this space is PerplexOn. I’ve mentioned him here before , but he’s worth mentioning again. Since AUM has allowed so many here to start diving into the generative music space, I feel like he has immersed himself into it and has become a master at his craft. He not only is helping to define this emerging genre, but combines it with amazing visuals and wonderful filming and content creation. He is pushing the limits of what is available in only the last few years as a one man show with really a shoestring budget. He’s not using a bunch of expensive items, he’s just raw talent, vision, and determination.

This is my fav performance by him which is done live in AUM outdoors. He replaced the piano with a kontakt piano after he recorded the MIDI performance from AUM into BM2, but everything else is just iOS and freaking Fugue Machine driving various instruments in AUM.

This is what I consider modern electronic because he’s leveraging what is newly available and exploiting it at, IMO, the highest levels and combining it with visuals that anybody can shoot with their iPhones.

Give it a listen and wander through his YouTube channel. You will not be disappointed.

• @drez said:
    Since this is a mobile music type forum, I think the most innovative person in this space is PerplexOn.

Good tip. His handle has popped up a lot lately for me. I Subscribed and see what he's currently up to with IOS apps and related hardware.

• @mlau Umm are you Mi and L'Au? Took me a second to figure it out but if so I'm a huge fan of your work back from the beginning when you were first on Young Gods Records. It's kind of crazy to see you here. Really feel like a fan boy if that is the case.

• edited January 2020

@mlau Also, if its not you, I do 100% agree on your music picks, love Jogging House and r beny as well.

• @SanMateo hi there ! yes that’s me, or half of me 😎 thanks for the kind words... am trying to learn more about ipad ( which i just got ) and apps, etc... lots of great people around here and good teaching... which i really need ! our house burned down in 2018, so we got two samplers and made “ nutrisco & extinguo “.... a great experience really... we’ll make a new album this year, using octatrack/digitakt and ipad .... cheers mate !

• @drez i second what you say, perplex on is a fantastic musician !

• @drez amazing video - both visual and musical part is beautiful ! Very talented guy...

• Some great posts, i will slowly go through the recommendations i haven't already listened too.

• @periurban said:
    Nice conversation. My tuppence worth -

I'm 60 years old, and I started making electronic music back in 1979, or at least what I call electronic music. Nothing will ever affect you the way the music you heard when you are about 14 years old did, and if you aren't very careful nothing will ever sound as good again! I know plenty of non-musicians who are like this, and a few musicians too (although I have been lucky enough to find ones who like to keep moving).

But it's too easy to dismiss what's happening now, as if it's shallow and less important than what went before. I think modern music, of any genre, is great! I love the Billie Eilish album, which to me is almost entirely electronic. Does her voice mean it isn't? I don't think so. Depends on your definition.

What about The 1975? I saw them take ten minutes out of their concert in front of 12,000 silent and awestruck teenage fans to perform an instrumental piece that Brian Eno would have been proud of, and almost everything they do is electronically derived.

To me electronic music is almost ubiquitous now. I don't see any realistic dividing line between The 1975 and Tangerine Dream and New Order and M83 and Royksopp, or any artist that's using electronics creatively. The melting pot is is in full flow.

Music today is in the best condition its ever been, because not only do we have what's happening now, with its relevance to the 14 year olds of today, we have everything that was ever recorded going back as far as 1877, and all points in between.

If you love music (of any kind, as a creator or consumer or both) now is the best time there's ever been. And it's just going to get better and better!

Agree with most of this - and Billie Eilish is great (not so mad on the 1975 though)!

• @[Deleted User] said:

@mungbeans said:
    Its pointless to use the term electronic music. Its so vast and wide and encompassing there must be a multitude of genres. Its a meaningless phrase.
    IDM electronic music might have been depressing to some, but what about some polar opposite such as the ambient music of Robert Rich. How can anybody possibly categorize these two together and apply the same brush stroke, along with anybody else who makes electronic music in whatever genre.

What term would you like me to use? Electronic music was the easiest word i could come up with to describe in general the music i was referring to.

it’s super hard to categorize everything nowadays, don’t feel bad..

• @drez said:
    Since this is a mobile music type forum, I think the most innovative person in this space is PerplexOn. I’ve mentioned him here before , but he’s worth mentioning again. Since AUM has allowed so many here to start diving into the generative music space, I feel like he has immersed himself into it and has become a master at his craft. He not only is helping to define this emerging genre, but combines it with amazing visuals and wonderful filming and content creation. He is pushing the limits of what is available in only the last few years as a one man show with really a shoestring budget. He’s not using a bunch of expensive items, he’s just raw talent, vision, and determination.

This is my fav performance by him which is done live in AUM outdoors. He replaced the piano with a kontakt piano after he recorded the MIDI performance from AUM into BM2, but everything else is just iOS and freaking Fugue Machine driving various instruments in AUM.

This is what I consider modern electronic because he’s leveraging what is newly available and exploiting it at, IMO, the highest levels and combining it with visuals that anybody can shoot with their iPhones.

Give it a listen and wander through his YouTube channel. You will not be disappointed.

Nice. What’s the nanokontrol controlling? Can you control the AUM faders etc. with those?

• edited January 2020

And another LudoWic (not Ludowick)

• edited January 2020

@cuscolima said:
    And another LudoWic (not Ludowick)

This is like all the great sounds are there but i want it musically to go in new directions. Not knocking this guy at all. 👍 in the end it really is just I should focus on making my own music, experiment and not be concerned.

• McDMcD
    edited January 2020

I want a bunch of knobs too.

No cables please.
    Or expensive hardware.
    Or speakers with cables.

But I'm learning to covet knobs and sliders to tweak parameters.
    I'd love 8 of these with bluetooth:

• @MonzoPro said:

@drez said:

Nice. What’s the nanokontrol controlling? Can you control the AUM faders etc. with those?

+1

• @ecou said:

@MonzoPro said:

@drez said:

+1

I’m fairly sure this can be midi mapped maybe? I’m not an AUM aficionado at all, so maybe one of the masters can reply.

• @drez said:

@ecou said:

@MonzoPro said:

@drez said:

+1

I’m fairly sure this can be midi mapped maybe? I’m not an AUM aficionado at all, so maybe one of the masters can reply.

Yes you can midi control AUM faders

• @mlau said:
    @drez i second what you say, perplex on is a fantastic musician !

I agree too! His videos/productions have really stood out over the past year or two.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@drez said:

@ecou said:

@MonzoPro said:

@drez said:

+1

Yes you can midi control AUM faders

Right, I think I need to check out those nanokontrollers then, they’re only about 40 quid.

• @[Deleted User] said:
    Some great posts, i will slowly go through the recommendations i haven't already listened too.

not sure if mentioned:

Richard Devine
    Allesandro Cortini
    Alan Morse Davies
    Whettman Chelmats

• @periurban said:
    Nice conversation. My tuppence worth -

I agree, things have changed and are music is not being filtered as well thru the pros, but the creativity and emotions are still present, AI hasn’t won just yet..

• @david_svrjcek said:
    AI hasn’t won just yet.

I only like music by attractive people so AI needs additional VR support to scratch that itch.

Optionally, I try never to see or meet the artist. That works too because the use the home version of Artificial Intelligence where I envision them according to the way the music sounds.

Happy, shiny people.

Seeing @LinearlineMan in photos made me accept his music as works of pure genius.
    It's the bonding between bald men in this case. There's an attraction based on shared loss.
    A sexy bowling ball type.

That's a solar panel for a sex machine, my friend.

• @drez said:

Big fan from PerplexOn here too !!
    Love every video that he made, and obviously the sounds and music. Want to learn that !!

Now i'm just listening this guy, a lot of IDM, Aphex, BoC sounds .... Skee Mask !

his album, if anyone want to listen it. And if anyone wants to talk about sounds from album and how we can make them, would be happy to do it haha

• Who was the OP again?

• edited January 2020

@gusgranite said:
    Who was the OP again?

trevor something? T something?