Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The state of current electronic music

Comments

• @AudioGus said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@AudioGus said:
    Given the widespread use of these new tools with so many people utilizing them and sharing techniques online I think there may be fewer examples of specific geniuses in their caves coming down from the mountain top with engraved albums of breakthrough wisdom.

Advances are spread out across tons of tools, people and genres now. The funnel is gone, things are fragmented. Who is building on what now? What is the current reference point etc. There is a sort of crowd-sourcing going on now where entire genres are growing faster than participating individuals can really take credit for and the users / composers / listeners are maybe in a sense just trying to catch up to the tech.

Anyway, I do love Tipper...

I like tipper, i like his earlier stuff especially.

I just discovered him around five years ago so to me he is still new. I think his best album is likely his next one... then the one after that.. etc. ;)

It usually doesn't work like that but you might be right.

• The sound design in RÜFÜS DU SOUL is amazing and very organic and emotional. They have an appreciation for electronic music like very few bands I know. If you don’t know them already, listen to a few tracks to get where they are coming from.

• My listening tastes can be obscure enough that Spotify’s algorithms seem to have trouble adapting. That and I’ll listen to a sub genre for weeks and then suddenly be in the mood for something completely different. I came across some great new stuff I wasn’t aware of during a dnb phase last fall (Taelimb comes to mind), and I’m hearing really good tracks in the glitch/breakbeat vein from artists that have monthly listeners in the very low 100s.

Took most of a year, but Spotify is surfacing artists I’ve never heard of much more often now. They’re out there, for sure...

• @musgo said:
    I’m relatively new to electronic music and don’t have a clue about different styles.

These are some of the artists I’ve listened to and enjoyed in the last year:

• Caterina Barbieri

Definitely +1 on this, discovered through a blog post by Jason Kottke. First track on the latest album builds such incredible movement with no beats at all.

• I'm enjoying the recommended artists. I took 20 years off and everything sounds new.
    I used to put on a Suzanne Ciani or "The Art of Noise" CD's to help focus on work.

I also have an allergy to 4-on-the-floor dance oriented electronica unless I need that type of
    musical drug. Which is probably only for dancing while uninhibited. So, a lot of the artists here led to a nice endorphin release. Music is an RX. Take 2 and call me in the morning.

• A wise man once said to me ‘Is it the music or your current relationship to it that has changed’..

...I often wonder how much age and/or life phase affects how you respond to new music...

• One of my favourite of last year...not entirely electronic...the synth intro may qualify it...who knows

• @DaveMagoo said:
    https://youtu.be/JF5-Z

One of my favourite of last year...not entirely electronic...the synth intro may qualify it...who knows

I would say this is not electronic music. 😆

• Really surprised LudoWic hasn’t been mentioned here...

• @Moderndaycompiler said:
    Really surprised LudoWic hasn’t been mentioned here...

Cool! i have heard about this one since its in my town.

• edited January 2020

@Moderndaycompiler said:
    Really surprised LudoWic hasn’t been mentioned here...

Amazing! Thanks for the recommendation. Listened to some more of those “jams” on Spotify.

• The state of current electronic music....
    A general view... In my opinion...

I guess I'd have to try to give a definition.

"Current Electronic Music" is an umbrella term that effectively covers a broad scope of modern music primarily composed with various forms of computer technologies, utilizing a wide range of musical sound creation devices that are similarly created using various forms of computer technologies.

"Electronic Music" began with invention of analog electronic sound synthesis in the beginning of the 20th century with devices such as the "Theremin".

As Electronic Instruments became more sophisticated. Electronically generated sound began to enter into mainstream pop music beginning in the 1960's, with magnetic recording tape instruments such as the Mellotron, and the first modular analog hardware based music synthesizers.

Synthesizers, electronic organs began to be used in popular contemporary and progressive rock music in the late 60's and into 70's. As digital electronic sampling technologies became more sophisticated in the beginning on the 1980's, Synthesizers and electronic pianos began to be used more for their ability to replace the sounds of conventional pianos and orchestra instruments.

After being initiated by the anti-war countercultural movements of the 60's and 70's. With sociological adoptions of new forms of social normalization. The "Club Culture" of the 80's and 90's adopted forms of dance music with heavy rhythmic beats and highly repetitive rhythmic musical sequences referred to as "House Music" (derived out earlier of Disco).

Beginning with House, Electronic Dance Music (EDM) evolved until the present time, through the genres of Techno, Acid House, Trance, Dubstep, Electro House.

Rap music had it's origins in Bronx NY in the late 70's. Progressed into Hip Hop, went through a moderate decline in the 2000's ending with a resurgence in a more mainstream audience format termed "Alternative Hip Hop" later on. Then evolving into more popular "Hip Hop/R&B, and then the Trap Music of today.

All of these modern genres beginning with 50's classic Rock , have provided cross-genre influences over one another.

In my own personal opinion....

I think the highly repetitive rhythm and note structures of much electronic music today, has reached a point of cultural over-saturation, and there will likely be a transition where popular electronic music makes a shift in a new direction involving movement away from heavy repetition, towards music that is structured more dynamically, and providing a medium that may more fully express the enormous latitude of audio sound creative capability, which today's modern electronic instruments are capable.

Ask yourself what Mozart, Wagner, or any of the well known other historic composers, might be creating if they were born in our modern era, and were making music today using todays amazing range electronic instruments ,effects, and composing tools?

• edited January 2020

• also check r beny, or ann annie ...

• @horsetrainer said:
    The state of current electronic music....

"Current Electronic Music" is an umbrella term that effectively covers a broad scope of modern music primarily composed with various forms of computer technologies, utilizing a wide range of musical sound creation devices that are similarly created using various forms of computer technologies.

"Electronic Music" began with invention of analog electronic sound synthesis in the beginning of the 20th century with devices such as the "Theremin".

As Electronic Instruments became more sophisticated. Electronically generated sound began to enter into mainstream pop music beginning in the 1960's, with magnetic recording tape instruments such as the Mellotron, and the first modular analog hardware based music synthesizers.

Synthesizers, electronic organs began to be used in popular contemporary and progressive rock music in the late 60's and into 70's. As digital electronic sampling technologies became more sophisticated in the beginning on the 1980's, Synthesizers and electronic pianos began to be used more for their ability to replace the sounds of conventional pianos and orchestra instruments.

After being initiated by the anti-war countercultural movements of the 60's and 70's. With sociological adoptions of new forms of social normalization. The "Club Culture" of the 80's and 90's adopted forms of dance music with heavy rhythmic beats and highly repetitive rhythmic musical sequences referred to as "House Music" (derived out earlier of Disco).

Beginning with House, Electronic Dance Music (EDM) evolved until the present time, through the genres of Techno, Acid House, Trance, Dubstep, Electro House.

Rap music had it's origins in Bronx NY in the late 70's. Progressed into Hip Hop, went through a moderate decline in the 2000's ending with a resurgence in a more mainstream audience format termed "Alternative Hip Hop" later on. Then evolving into more popular "Hip Hop/R&B, and then the Trap Music of today.

All of these modern genres beginning with 50's classic Rock , have provided cross-genre influences over one another.

I think the highly repetitive rhythm and note structures of much electronic music today, has reached a point of cultural over-saturation, and there will likely be a transition where popular electronic music makes a shift in a new direction involving movement away from heavy repetition, towards music that is structured more dynamically, and providing a medium that may more fully express the enormous latitude of audio sound creative capability, which today's modern electronic instruments are capable.

Ask yourself what Mozart, Wagner, or any of the well known other historic composers, might be creating if they were born in our modern era, and were making music today using todays amazing range electronic instruments ,effects, and composing tools?

Please let this happen! I also believe in you opinions! however i fear there is gap in high level music theory and composition that once existed in the past, this is highlighted in the fact you mention Mozart and classical musicians who had an incredibly deep understanding of music. These composers also knew the art of improvisation while achieving their compositions, this knowledge is practically lost (you don’t really see it in classical music since 100 years ago) We have Jazz which has kept the art of improvisation using music theory alive but IMO at an inferior standard. I believe for modern music to break some ground music theory has to take a large roll. Maybe newer technologies and tools will help people achieve this lost knowledge in new exciting ways. Personally i switched to learning music from Bach about 6 years ago for my own experimentation. I lack the musical knowledge and talent to create a new electronic music but i see potential in this method.

• edited January 2020

@[Deleted User] said:

@horsetrainer said:

Please let this happen! I also believe in you opinions! however i fear there is gap in high level music theory and composition that once existed in the past, this is highlighted in the fact you mention Mozart and classical musicians who had an incredibly deep understanding of music. These composers also knew the art of improvisation while achieving their compositions, this knowledge is practically lost (you don’t really see it in classical music since 100 years ago) We have Jazz which has kept the art of improvisation using music theory alive but IMO at an inferior standard. I believe for modern music to break some ground music theory has to take a large roll. Maybe newer technologies and tools will help people achieve this lost knowledge in new exciting ways. Personally i switched to learning music from Bach about 6 years ago for my own experimentation. I lack the musical knowledge and talent to create a new electronic music but i see potential in this method.

Part of the issue for modern electronic music makers, is they have to learn and master a whole bunch of stuff before they even start to compose.

Audio/MIDI/hardware setups, operating systems, DAW’s, mastering - and on top of all that there’s each individual app and plugin to contend with and learn to use, and how they work together.

And I’m guessing Mozart didn’t have to do all his own promotion - creating and maintaining accounts, uploading files, making videos, checking forums to see if an update will break everything....

It’s no wonder most of us only have time to hit the randomise button a few times, and see what comes up.

We’re not just musicians now, we’re studio engineers, producers, graphic designers, IT experts, PR, promoters and programmers too.

• @MonzoPro said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@horsetrainer said:

Part of the issue for modern electronic music makers, is they have to learn and master a whole bunch of stuff before they even start to compose.

Audio/MIDI/hardware setups, operating systems, DAW’s, mastering - and on top of all that there’s each individual app and plugin to contend with and learn to use, and how they work together.

And I’m guessing Mozart didn’t have to do all his own promotion - creating and maintaining accounts, uploading files, making videos, checking forums to see if an update will break everything....

It’s no wonder most of us only have time to hit the randomise button a few times, and see what comes up.

We’re not just musicians now, we’re studio engineers, producers, graphic designers, IT experts, PR, promoters and programmers too.

Reminds me of a Mitch Hedberg bit where he was asked ‘Oh, so you’re a comedian? Cool. Can you farm?’

• @MonzoPro said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@horsetrainer said:

Indeed ‘The jack of all trades‘ approached clearly doesn't work in general.

• I just can't follow up, guys. So many good recommendations.
    Right now listening to Jogging House and liking it.

Alva Noto also comes to mind.

I was also considering electronic music in the same terms as @horsetrainer has stated above. I definitely don't like it all but enjoy most of what could be considered "experimental", minimalistic, has a taste for world music (Valravn) and odd times signatures and, in general is not mainstream.

Also I forgot to mention that my intro to electronic music making was thanks to https://www.audiotool.com. There was an artist there I still listen to (I downloaded his music long time ago and it's on my iTunes library) https://soundcloud.com/amoeba-2

@McD said:
    I'm enjoying the recommended artists. I took 20 years off and everything sounds new.
    I used to put on a Suzanne Ciani or "The Art of Noise" CD's to help focus on work.

I also have an allergy to 4-on-the-floor dance oriented electronica unless I need that type of
    musical drug. Which is probably only for dancing while uninhibited. So, a lot of the artists here led to a nice endorphin release. Music is an RX. Take 2 and call me in the morning.

Regarding the endorphin release, I can get really high running to Max Richter, Nils Frahm or the above mentioned Amœba. If I need it to get loud, I usually go back to Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Bad Religion, System of a Down... (so old school!)

• @ahallam said:

@musgo said:
    I’m relatively new to electronic music and don’t have a clue about different styles.

These are some of the artists I’ve listened to and enjoyed in the last year:

• Caterina Barbieri

Definitely +1 on this, discovered through a blog post by Jason Kottke. First track on the latest album builds such incredible movement with no beats at all.

Sounds like a updated version of Klaus Schulze to me :)