Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The state of current electronic music

Comments

• Daniel Avery had a good album come out but I guess it was in 2018 and last year it was just a b sides but it was good. Not up there with Drone Logic though

• edited January 2020

I can't stop listening Deadmau5 production... i really love how he builds melodies, arpeggios .. I can return to his music hundred times and i'm still enjoying it. He is a big inspiration for me, also watched his Masterclass and it helped me a LOT release my production block and to move forward ...

I also listen a LOT many songs from other people on this forum and on nanostudio forum - a LOT of great music was made by you all here and there .. Different genres, different moods - dope stuff.

Another VERY inspiring guy for me is Jon Hopkins, expecially his last two albums "Immunity" and "Singularity" are amazing pieces ...

And third guy which is big inspiration for me is Rolf Maier Bode (in '90s he was main meber of german project RMB)

• @dendy +1 for John Hopkins

• I’m relatively new to electronic music and don’t have a clue about different styles.

These are some of the artists I’ve listened to and enjoyed in the last year:

• Tycho
    • Caterina Barbieri
    • Omri Cohen
    • Kaytlin Aurelia Smith
    • Eliane Radigue (not new, new for me)
    • Nils Frahm
    • ZAAR - Danish singer. Unknown but on iTunes
    • Floating Points
    • A bunch of people in this forum, like Stefano Mattia (not the only one but I’ve listened to a couple of his tracks in SoundCloud a lot lately)
    • Lightbath
    • Some of the names you posted too.

The only thing I can’t cope with is 4 on the floor rhythms.

• Alright, let’s see what I would consider solid, fresh EDM to come out in the last decade.

Deadmau5 - 4x4=12 (2010): Rise Your Weapon was a huge hit that had a sizeable influence on the integration of modern EDM and pop. City in Florida and Sofi Needs a Ladder are solid tunes with a pretty signature sound.

Major Lazer - Free the Universe (2013): One of the first Moombahton albums to get mainstream attention and recognition.

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories (2013): Nuff said.

Major Lazer - Peace is the Mission (2015): Features Lean On, a record breaking song with a sound that was fairly unique to mainstream audiences. One of those elusive “Pop EDM” albums.

Dillon Francis - Money Sucks, Friends Rule (2015): Not sure what to say about this one aside from the fact that it’s a great album with a fairly fresh-at-the-time sound.

Little Big - Skibidi (2018): At a time where hip-hop is owning the dance-craze world, a goofy, Russian EDM/Pop group pushes its way in.

One thing to consider is that solid progress is incremental. If you look for ground breaking stuff every year, you’re never going to find anything. That’s why it’s ground-breaking. It doesn’t happen all the time.

• Vaporwave, vaportrap, dark abient lo-fi

• Here’s a playlist I just built with some of my faves of the past 10-or-so years:

https://open.spotify.com/user/tadennis/playlist/3OEW3oP3znTqow0SQy6mT8?si=bK6y1K-pRmSiYGxpUH4nHw

• @tadat said:
    Here’s a playlist I just built with some of my faves of the past 10-or-so years:

https://open.spotify.com/user/tadennis/playlist/3OEW3oP3znTqow0SQy6mT8?si=bK6y1K-pRmSiYGxpUH4nHw

Will have to listen to it.

• the main reasons why music sounds boring

probably just getting on a bit, lost a third of the frequency range so the top end sparkle has gone, deep imprinting will have stopped and also lack off a 'scene' to get collectively excited about with friends.

• I don't get the age thing at all. How old is the OP out of curiosity and respectfully?

Name some of the artists / genres you didn't find interesting? Are you looking for artists like Aphex? Aphex was a product of his time and still capable but he's also found his groove, aesthetic and musical approach. His work is identifiable. He was still figuring out then because he was experimenting as most people who are putting their stuff out there, regardless of age. What mediums did you use to discover new artists?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It's a weird time. Major labels don't seem willing to take chances so often anymore so they largely stick to money-making formulas and lowest common denominator artists/tracks. On the flip side, there are many more creative independent artists that can be found (sometimes with a fair bit of digging and by avoiding automated recommendation algorithms) thanks to the Internet and the accessibility of music making tools. Therefore, I think there's good stuff out there but it takes more effort than the past to dig them up and you hit a lot of whammies during the journey.

Also, "new" is a hard concept to wrangle. Anything within the last 10 years is pretty new to me (46), but my teenagers would say 2018 is now old. That said, I like to try and stay open-minded and tend to enjoy some of all the new stuff I find.

Electronic is a really wide genre now but here are a few of my favorite "newish" and possibly lesser-known "electronic" artists:
    IAMX (okay IAMX has been around for 16 years now but I adore this. "Mile Deep Hollow" is a good place to start.)
    Crywolf (especially the albums "Skeletons" and "Cataclasm")
    Golden Features ("Sect" is a great album methinks)
    Koven (everything really but "More Than You" and "Wake Me Up" were the first two songs that blew my mind)
    Bob Moses (love that chill electronic vibe, and "Never Going Back" is great)
    Kerli (she's pretty pop-like but "Mimicry" is a standout track and she's an interesting person, turned her back on the industry)
    Seven Lions ("December" is my favorite track but it's not like most of his stuff which is mostly still great)
    SYML ("Clean Eyes" and "The Bird" are my recommendations...hmm, does this count as electronic?)
    Odesza (Good stuff, I still can't stop listening to "It's Only" which has to be an all-time favorite for me)
    Grimes ("We Appreciate Power" is fun...)
    Poppy (haha...I have no words but "I Disagree" would be the go-to track)

Are any of them revolutionary? Not sure, but all make me feel inferior :wink: and have merited many repeated listens from me despite that fact...

(Thanks to everyone else for the recommendations, as well. I'll be digging into those this weekend, especially Dark Ambient...)

• @[Deleted User] said:
    I'm not one for listening to the past electronic music created, I love it at the time but my interest (except for Classical Music) is always to listen to the music of the present.

Listening to the Electronic music last year was depressing, I think the lack of interesting and repeatable listening value of the genre has been at an all time low. I heard a few nice things but never felt like wanting to listen to it ever again.

I sure there are many reasons for this, lack of money in the music industry, artists interested in other genres maybe, the ease to bang together a few sounds in an DAW and call it an album.

I feel sorry for the kids, the last original genres appeared in the late 80's.... 30 plus years ago!!

Any thoughts? Am I completely wrong? Did i miss an incredibly interesting electronic artist that arrived on the scene since the early 2000's?

Could you provide some artist names? Just to be sure I have your exact sentiment.

• edited January 2020

@oddSTAR said:
    Also, "new" is a hard concept to wrangle. Anything within the last 10 years is pretty new to me (46), but my teenagers would say 2018 is now old.

I literally heard someone at work say that God of War 4 (which came out in 2018) 'still holds up today'. (wtf?)

• Well, another try.

I am 45 years old and mostly into 80s and 90s sound because that are my roots. But I really enjoy listening to Ben Sims radio show "Run It Red". Lots of really good Techno, Tech House etc...Not quite sure how many of those artists are new to the scene but most of the stuff is really good.

https://www.nts.live/shows/ben-sims

• I like the aesthetics/style of a lot of artists on Counter Records. I am inspired by a lot of the work. Don't really care about Odesza, but a lot of the other artists are interesting. Giraffage makes some very interesting music.

https://soundcloud.com/Counter-Records

• edited January 2020

Its pointless to use the term electronic music. Its so vast and wide and encompassing there must be a multitude of genres. Its a meaningless phrase.
    IDM electronic music might have been depressing to some, but what about some polar opposite such as the ambient music of Robert Rich. How can anybody possibly categorize these two together and apply the same brush stroke, along with anybody else who makes electronic music in whatever genre.

• @mungbeans said:
    Its pointless to use the term electronic music. Its so vast and wide and encompassing there must be a multitude of genres. Its a meaningless phrase.
    IDM electronic music might have been depressing to some, but what about some polar opposite such as the ambient music of Robert Rich. How can anybody possibly categorize these two together and apply the same brush stroke, along with anybody else who makes electronic music in whatever genre.

What term would you like me to use? Electronic music was the easiest word i could come up with to describe in general the music i was referring to.

• Something else to consider is that a lot of the development within EDM has come with the development of improved technology. That development has slowed as we have started nearing limitations in modern technology. Within the next decade or two, we will either see some huge fantastical leap in technology or we will reach a plateau.

• @Max23 said:
    So nothing groundbreaking happened in the last 20 years :D :o

Last 10 years for sure.

Can you recommend something from the last few years?

• edited January 2020

@YourJunk said:
    Something else to consider is that a lot of the development within EDM has come with the development of improved technology. That development has slowed as we have started nearing limitations in modern technology. Within the next decade or two, we will either see some huge fantastical leap in technology or we will reach a plateau.

Some good points, to me original electronic music is linked to the changes or availability of new music technology. However with the technology we have now there should be room for original ideas.

• Don't forget that we are inundated with music (and everything else) these days. I used to buy "electronic music" from a place in a basement under a sewing machine repair shop. Almost everything there was imports, mostly from Europe. Now it's everywhere and there's so much of it it's hard to get the same excitement I got from searching through bins of vinyls for something "new". I also remember only 3 TV channels...TV was more fun then too! :/

• edited January 2020

Given the widespread use of these new tools with so many people utilizing them and sharing techniques online I think there may be fewer examples of specific geniuses in their caves coming down from the mountain top with engraved albums of breakthrough wisdom.

Advances are spread out across tons of tools, people and genres now. The funnel is gone, things are fragmented. Who is building on what now? What is the current reference point etc. There is a sort of crowd-sourcing going on now where entire genres are growing faster than participating individuals can really take credit for and the users / composers / listeners are maybe in a sense just trying to catch up to the tech.

Anyway, I do love Tipper... (Just check out 28:00... gosh darn)

• @anickt said:
    Don't forget that we are inundated with music (and everything else) these days. I used to buy "electronic music" from a place in a basement under a sewing machine repair shop. Almost everything there was imports, mostly from Europe. Now it's everywhere and there's so much of it it's hard to get the same excitement I got from searching through bins of vinyls for something "new". I also remember only 3 TV channels...TV was more fun then too! :/

Cant argue with those nice memories.

• @MonzoPro said:
    I rarely listen to mainstream music, as it's dictated by target markets and platforms with vested interests and usually watered down for idiots.

There's plenty of good music going on, but it's hidden by colossal piles of electric ham for the masses.

HAHA! Perfect! This should be the Monzo signature. Love it.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@mungbeans said:

What term would you like me to use? Electronic music was the easiest word i could come up with to describe in general the music i was referring to.

Sorry, this wasn't meant to sound like a rant in case it did. Just saying its too broad a term to know what you are actually referring to.
    I don't know what general type of electronic music you are actually referring to so don't know what term to use.

• @AudioGus said:
    Given the widespread use of these new tools with so many people utilizing them and sharing techniques online I think there may be fewer examples of specific geniuses in their caves coming down from the mountain top with engraved albums of breakthrough wisdom.

Advances are spread out across tons of tools, people and genres now. The funnel is gone, things are fragmented. Who is building on what now? What is the current reference point etc. There is a sort of crowd-sourcing going on now where entire genres are growing faster than participating individuals can really take credit for and the users / composers / listeners are maybe in a sense just trying to catch up to the tech.

Anyway, I do love Tipper...

I like tipper, i like his earlier stuff especially.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@AudioGus said:

Anyway, I do love Tipper...

I like tipper, i like his earlier stuff especially.

I just discovered him around five years ago so to me he is still new. I think his best album is likely his next one... then the one after that.. etc. ;)

• @mungbeans said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@mungbeans said:

Sorry, this wasn't meant to sound like a rant in case it did. Just saying its too broad a term to know what you are actually referring to.
    I don't know what general type of electronic music you are actually referring to so don't know what term to use.

Mmmm, record a piano and reverse it a third down. Record the wind and turn it into a hi hat. Using a drum machine over a drum kit. Quantise a rhythm until there is no swing. Sampling and oscillations out of electricity. Sequencing and slicing waveforms. Use a drum kit and timestretch it.
    Music made using new technology, ahhhh what am i saying i spend most my time learning old fashioned piano. 😆

• I am far from knowledgeable in electronic music being mainly a rock/ metal fan. But I find some really great stuff in synthwave and in particular the synthwave sub genre Darksynth. Unlike previous generation of EDM that we’re mostly rhythm/buildup based, I find more of what I like in synthwave.

It is not a new style of music but it is still evolving. So if you want new electronic it is a good place to look.

I prefer the artist that don’t just rehash the 80’s. Warning their is lots of cheap/rehash songs in this style of music. You have to dig a bit to find the gems.

My favorite artists are
    Electric Dragon
    Gunship
    Meteor
    Street cleaner
    Hollywood burns
    We are magnoia
    Nina
    Dan Terminus
    Fixions
    VolkorX
    Dance with the dead

This guy is my reference for synthwave. Looks like he just got a A&R job for a small label.
    https://ironskullet.com/2019/12/30/top-10-synthwave-albums-of-2019/