Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

call for beta testers for a guitar amp sim AU3 plugin

1789101113»

Comments

• @Gavinski said:
    The GUI looks very nice. But - can I suggest the addition of nice big arrows to move through presets rather than having to enter the preset menu each time, which requires one click to open and one to choose. Also, for the actual menu, you could take a leaf out of Magellan 2’s book and have presets listed in columns, not just rows. This amp is sounding good though!

Thanks for those suggestions. We will consider it. If we are going to split it into many smaller, cheaper plugins rather than putting all the amps in one then perhaps we can get rid of the menu altogether and just have a selector for five types or something simple like that.

• Hey @Blue_Mangoo I had so much fun with Gain stage and my guitar, I will miss it when the beta goes away. Knowing its a beta version and that it will not last made me finish my first complete song on ios, and as I got into ios music making I got a whole bunch of guitar amp apps but I was never able to replicate the special sound I made with GS, TB eq and some delay.
    Few days ago I overdubbed the guitars on that song with all other apps I have and while it sounds rich once I mute the original GS tracks, the magic goes away and it sounds like, well like the lead singer quit the band :)

GS may not be what you intended based on the preset names but its has that inspirational moment that makes you want to play it tweek it rock it!

• @NemanzgbKaj said:
    Hey @Blue_Mangoo I had so much fun with Gain stage and my guitar, I will miss it when the beta goes away. Knowing its a beta version and that it will not last made me finish my first complete song on ios, and as I got into ios music making I got a whole bunch of guitar amp apps but I was never able to replicate the special sound I made with GS, TB eq and some delay.
    Few days ago I overdubbed the guitars on that song with all other apps I have and while it sounds rich once I mute the original GS tracks, the magic goes away and it sounds like, well like the lead singer quit the band :)

GS may not be what you intended based on the preset names but its has that inspirational moment that makes you want to play it tweek it rock it!

Ok... we will try to release something soon. Would you mind telling us which amp types you are using?

• @Blue_Mangoo said:
    Ok... we will try to release something soon. Would you mind telling us which amp types you are using?

Im using the *crunch - modern amp type on lead guitar with output all the way up and input under 12 oclock
    And the lovley *blues - warm sustain on the softer parts, again output all the way up and input under 12.

For both instances - no room, no peak limiter, oversampling at 16

Check it out, this is the first ver. with all no aditional dubs.
    Two guitars /w Gain stage crunch modern on left and right
    “Clean guitars” x3, Blues warm sustain - left, right and center

Check it out, be the first!

• I hope you make this into a successful series of apps that also share presets.

Maybe ship a free (or limited for <$5) standalone harness that can host all the later apps for the guitar player that doesn't understand AUM or AUv3 DAW models. But also make all apps AUv3 that can pool presets in a single or multiple AUv3's.

Good luck. Focus on low latency to explain why it doesn't do everything for everybody. Good players will feel the low latency and consider it a no brainier compared to the other costly alternatives. Spending $40 on Guitar stuff seems like a stocking stuffer.

• @McD said:
    I hope you make this into a successful series of apps that also share presets.

Maybe ship a free (or limited for <$5) standalone harness that can host all the later apps for the guitar player that doesn't understand AUM or AUv3 DAW models. But also make all apps AUv3 that can pool presets in a single or multiple AUv3's.

I really want the iOS guitar rig of the future to include effects from more than one developer. The best way to do preset sharing is to write an audio unit host app, like you suggested, that is designed for hosting a guitar rig. AUM comes close to that but it lacks preset sharing and it would need to reorganize the UI so that MIDI switching between presets is more obvious and easier to set up. I'm not sure if we are the company who should build that product but let's wait until there are more guitar oriented audio units on the App Store and then we will consider it.

Good luck. Focus on low latency to explain why it doesn't do everything for everybody. Good players will feel the low latency and consider it a no brainier compared to the other costly alternatives. Spending $40 on Guitar stuff seems like a stocking stuffer.

The latency in Gainstage is already as low as an iOS audio unit can be. You can get it down even lower by running your audio interface at 96 Khz.

When you first mentioned latency earlier in this thread I thought you were perhaps misinformed because I didn't understand why a guitar amp sim software developer would need to put latency into the design. But after I have listened more carefully to other amp sim software I agree that latency is indeed a problem with some of them. I still don't understand why though.

• @NemanzgbKaj said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

Im using the *crunch - modern amp type on lead guitar with output all the way up and input under 12 oclock
    And the lovley *blues - warm sustain on the softer parts, again output all the way up and input under 12.

The guitar in the video sounds great! I am thinking to include only the clean and blues sounds in the first release. I'll try to have some of the crunchier sounds out within a month or two after that.

• @NemanzgbKaj said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

Nice playing and nice tones!

• I'd also be happy with a clean/blues GainStage plugin that does clean tones really well (being a Jazz / ambient player, I have no need for high gain tones). Price range can be up to 10 USD which I would pay without a second thought.

• @NemanzgbKaj said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

V groovy tune!

• @jcfischer said:
    I'd also be happy with a clean/blues GainStage plugin that does clean tones really well (being a Jazz / ambient player, I have no need for high gain tones). Price range can be up to 10 USD which I would pay without a second thought.

Ok. We'll do it like that then. I had some trouble figuring out what to call it. I tentatively settled on "Gain Stage Extra Vintage", with the "extra" indicating that the amps actually sound a little bit saggier than real vintage amps do, so they exaggerate the vintage feel. It will have about six amp types in it, based on the lower gain ones in the previous version of gain stage, but I'll try to brighten them up and reign in the bass a little.

Here's a preview of the new UI design:

And we will work on a separate plugin that handles the higher gain sounds after releasing this.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:
    I really want the iOS guitar rig of the future to include effects from more than one developer.

For anyone that wants that now... MIDI Guitar 2 can host AUv3's with IAP upgrades.
    And it will also process the straight analog signals while also offering a midi conversion into
    AUv3 synths. For serious guitar FX types that's a powerful Rig design tool mixing MIDI w analog signals into FX. Pretty good MIDI control options too. Not cheap with all the IAP's but
    very powerful for having the audience wonder where the keyboard player is hiding in a power trio performance with none on stage. Just that iPad or iPhone.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@jcfischer said:
    I'd also be happy with a clean/blues GainStage plugin that does clean tones really well (being a Jazz / ambient player, I have no need for high gain tones). Price range can be up to 10 USD which I would pay without a second thought.

Ok. We'll do it like that then. I had some trouble figuring out what to call it. I tentatively settled on "Gain Stage Extra Vintage", with the "extra" indicating that the amps actually sound a little bit saggier than real vintage amps do, so they exaggerate the vintage feel. It will have about six amp types in it, based on the lower gain ones in the previous version of gain stage, but I'll try to brighten them up and reign in the bass a little.

And we will work on a separate plugin that handles the higher gain sounds after releasing this.

Looks beautiful!

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@jcfischer said:

Will that first batch include something like “Kid C”?

• That looks great,

Really looking forward to having Gainstage vintage on one channel in AUM with Eventide spring reverb, rotary , your new chorus app , a nembrini tube screamer or fuzz etc etc

• I would second Kid C!!!
    Favorite preset for sure 👍🏼

• Thank you @espiegel123 and @TimRussell for the kind words and for not mentioning my dance mooves :D
    @Blue_Mangoo thank you for the app, it was a pleasure testing the beta, I wish you all the best and hope to see GS Extra Vintage on my homescreen very soon :)

• @espiegel123 said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@jcfischer said:

The Kid C preset would benefit from a different amp design. But I can put it in there as it is of people want it.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@jcfischer said:

The Kid C preset would benefit from a different amp design. But I can put it in there as it is of people want it.

So Kid C and then New Kid when the new amp design is released maybe?

• @espiegel123 said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@jcfischer said:

So Kid C and then New Kid when the new amp design is released maybe?

An excellent suggestion.

• I dropped Gain Stage in front of a great Rhodes AUv3 app Colossus Piano E-Pianos MK model and it added some nice grit and presences to make it sound more like the Neo Soul
    Rhodes.

• I was reading some comments about UAD Guitar Sims and saw these comments:

I have the UAD Fender and the Fuchs ODS models. Both are phenomenal and sound better to me that (Desktop) Amplitube or S-Gear. Also a joy to play through with no latency (on the UAD hardware). The Fender can definitely do clean but you need to gain stage correctly. Lower your input all the way on the guitar and bring it up slowly.

I realize I tend to run the guitar at full volume since it never occurred to me to try pulling more Gain from the IOS app. There's also a Gain control on the iRig HD that I rarely fuss with. Then there are Gain controls in most FX apps I load and finally the AUM gain slider control which is where I tend to go for a "Volume" but I will just dial the guitar back too. But I never start by slowing bring up the guitar gain.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get the best from these IOS Software Amp Sims using the beat Gain Staging techniques. Someone always knows a lot more than I do when I ask new questions.

The UAD "amp" is very sensitive to input. I feel like it has the best dynamics of any amp sim I’ve ever used. I think from that perspective uad nailed the amp. I think it even sounds like a mic'ed tweed. I personally don’t love the sound of the tweed myself, which limits its utility for me but I think it’s damn accurate. I would love to see a black/silver face model that was this good.

I need something to experiment with so I don't go and buy a $1200 OX Amp Sim. The Apollo Audio Interface keeps surfacing in my daydreams too. But let's not go there. Let's get the most from IOS first.

"Low Latency" and dynamics... that's what the pros value. And a convincing tone of course.