Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Zenbeats 1.1 bug list

Hi @MatthewAtZenbeats

I wanted to make a thread to keep everything organized in one place

Just found a new bug I wanted to make sure was on your radar. Like barkfilter anytime an instance of Beathawk is loaded it produces crackling on the line related to the buffer size that is set. No amount of resetting the buffer size seems to have any effect

Comments

• Sounds like the problem might be BH not Zenbeats.

• @yowza said:
    Sounds like the problem might be BH not Zenbeats.

No zenbeats has this reaction with a lot of auv3s that works beautifully in other DAWs and environments like AUM

Rooms!
    Barkfilter
    Beathawk
    and I’m sure all have compatibility issues that manifest this similar crackling audio. I believe it is related to buffer size/sample rates etc but not in terms of bottoming out more like a misalignment or sample rate or something like this

@MatthewAtZenbeats

• Hi @MatthewAtZenbeats

I found a little bug using latest 1.1.0.7684 release (Unlocked ver.):

In a clip loaded with an instrument (ElectroGuitar was the case), double tap to go to edit page.
    Select LFO 1 > LFO2 Depth : this cause immediate crash of ZB (only if you do not have set something in LFO 2 parameters).
    So it is not big problem (because you obviously should have set LFO 2 param. to have it applied to LFO 1), but if you touch that buttton, maybe accidentally, you are out of the App.

iPad 7th ge. 32 Gb, iOS 13.3

Other than this, I really enjoy this DAW, keep it better and better.

Thanks for your attention, best

• Still needs audiobus support, i would use it a lot more if it had it.

• @Sirt said:
    Still needs audiobus support, i would use it a lot more if it had it.

Me too!

• Mini 5 13.3 - thought I’d give this another look . First session revealed these bugs.

AUv3 FX not showing and scanning plugins crashes the app halfway through the scan

Can only audition 4 or 5 loops from the browser before the audition function stops working - saving the song resets the audition function but only for another 4 or 5 loops

Not a bug but a design suggestion for those of us working on smaller screens. Please could you move the audio clip copy and paste function out of the clip’s menu ? Every time I try and do an edit, because the menu button is so close to where you want to position the playhead for the paste , the playhead jumps to where the clip menu button is. Much better to have those functions in the header......

Thanks

• @zeropoint said:
    Mini 5 13.3 - thought I’d give this another look . First session revealed these bugs.

AUv3 FX not showing and scanning plugins crashes the app halfway through the scan

You just have to keep trying “Scan for New” over and over until it eventually makes it through. You should notice it making it further each time. 3-5 tries should do it. After that Scan for New goes faster and makes it through consistently.

• Thanks @wim ! Did the trick ....

Are you finding the same problem with audio file auditioning ?

• @annahahn said:

@yowza said:
    Sounds like the problem might be BH not Zenbeats.

No zenbeats has this reaction with a lot of auv3s that works beautifully in other DAWs and environments like AUM

Rooms!
    Barkfilter
    Beathawk
    and I’m sure all have compatibility issues that manifest this similar crackling audio. I believe it is related to buffer size/sample rates etc but not in terms of bottoming out more like a misalignment or sample rate or something like this

@MatthewAtZenbeats

Confirmed. Same issue with Barkfilter here.

• I’m having real problems with automation.

The menu button top left in the editor is taking up to 10 seconds to bring the options up. During this time the GUI freezes completely. Once it caused the app to crash.

Anyone else ?

• @zeropoint said:

Not a bug but a design suggestion for those of us working on smaller screens. Please could you move the audio clip copy and paste function out of the clip’s menu ? Every time I try and do an edit, because the menu button is so close to where you want to position the playhead for the paste , the playhead jumps to where the clip menu button is. Much better to have those functions in the header......

Please ignore this. I discovered the long press menu that can be instantiated anywhere in the track lane

• edited January 2020

My automation problem appears to have been due to Fabfilter plugins. As soon as I remove them, the automation menu appears immediately as it should. Shucks, it would have to be the Fabs....use them in every project.

@MatthewAtZenbeats , can you please confirm this your end ?

• Thanks for all the reports. We'll be looking at these plugins soon.
    Will also investigate the audition issue too.

• edited January 2020

@MatthewAtZenbeats
    Elicenser plugins not being recognized by Zenbeats 1.1......Groove Agent 5....Padshop and Retrologue. Latest elicenser app.

• edited January 2020

@MatthewAtZenbeats just wanted to make sure this gets added to the central list

Auv3 samplers that use direct from disk sample streaming like Beathawk and AudioLayer both produce crackling and popping in Zenbeats but work perfectly in all other hosts. I’ve detailed the specifics in my other post specific to the subject

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/36614/beathawk-crackling-in-zenbeats-sooooooo-strange-see-details#latest

• @Mcboy said:
    @MatthewAtZenbeats
    Elicenser plugins not being recognized by Zenbeats 1.1......Groove Agent 5....Padshop and Retrologue. Latest elicenser app.

• @Mcboy said:

@Mcboy said:
    @MatthewAtZenbeats

Can you see them in the quarantined filter? If so, can you load them from there?

• Quarantine list is empty.

• edited January 2020

Hi @MatthewAtZenbeats

A couple more bugs I found

Disabling plugins does not seem to fully remove them from the cpu load

Steadily increasing CPU usage- I record a 2 minute groove that uses 4 instances of jax Convolutor Pro - at the beginning of playback it uses 20% cpu, after 2 minutes it is at 72% and crackling~~~this is in a situation with a constant number of tracks being played ie the song does not become more complex or layered as it progresses so it is confusing to me why it would so rapidly multiply how much cpu it is using

If the zenbeats team can get the buffer size/sample rate issues fixed then we can use Rooms! again which is more cpu efficient than Convolutor

Midi learn broken on track send faders

• edited January 2020

@MatthewAtZenbeats

Hi...the elicenser plugins problem is because of Mac OS privacy. Zenbeats has to ask for permission and It has never asked like other DAWs upon starting the first time. Read this from the people of elicenser.

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/360001406039-macOS-Steinberg-program-wants-access-to-control-Synsopos-app

• @MatthewAtZenbeats

AudioReverb auv3 also produces crackling in the audio signal in zenbeats where it works perfectly in other hosts. I believe this is because of the irregular buffer sizes.

Rooms! Requires a buffer that is a power of 2, but when Zenbeats buffer size is set to 2048 in preferences, it actually sets itself to 1882 as a buffer which causes this crackling issue in rooms which I am guessing is what is causing this crackling in so many plugins

Also disabled auv3 plugs still seem to eat cpu resources

• Midi learn does not work zenbeats internal auv3 controls ie MIX , Pre-again, Post Gain

@MatthewAtZenbeats

• edited January 2020

@MatthewAtZenbeats

Just discovered a strange behavior-

Midi learn seems to take up a lot of cpu resources in a way that I wouldn’t expect it to

I had 8 instances of Mixer Send Receive from ApeMatrix (auv3 that comes bundled with apeMatrix for signal routing) loaded + some instances of the Gain Pan auv3 that comes bundled with ape as well, these are super lite auv3s but the multiple instances + midi learn tied to the gain parameters all resulted in the cpu jumping up to 100% usage pretty quickly and the audio getting very choppy even though I had removed all the cpu taxing plugins

I should note that the midi learn is for an incoming midi LFO so it is relatively constant compared to physical rotary knob/fader input

• edited January 2020

@MatthewAtZenbeats

Audio preview stops working in the loop browser if you preview during playback and must relaunch the app to get it to work again

Also- if folders have a long name in within the audio samples folder it effects the way all text is rendered within the search zone of the loop browser and pushes everything so far off the screen that you cannot navigate them because zenbeats pushes their titles so far to the side that they appear somewhere outside of the iPhone viewport

Would also be great to add audiocopy/ general clipboard compatibility or some way to share audio clips directly from the files app into the zenbeats timeline

Working on iPhone XS max

• @annahahn said:
    @MatthewAtZenbeats

Audio preview stops working in the loop browser if you preview during playback and must relaunch the app to get it to work again

Also- if folders have a long name in within the audio samples folder it effects the way all text is rendered within the search zone of the loop browser and pushes everything so far off the screen that you cannot navigate them because zenbeats pushes their titles so far to the side that they appear somewhere outside of the iPhone viewport

Would also be great to add audiocopy/ general clipboard compatibility or some way to share audio clips directly from the files app into the zenbeats timeline

Working on iPhone XS max

Hi @annahahn

Can you send me a screenshot of this?

PS. Thanks so much for the reports. We're cranking away on fixes now.

• @MatthewAtZenbeats said:

@annahahn said:
    @MatthewAtZenbeats

Working on iPhone XS max

Hi @annahahn

Can you send me a screenshot of this?

PS. Thanks so much for the reports. We're cranking away on fixes now.

Hi @MatthewAtZenbeats !

Absolutely glad I can help! I absolutely adore the workflow of zenbeats and am vvv excited to use it once it’s grown past this awkward puberty stage!

Attaching 2 screen grabs, one at full zoom where you can see the blank loop browser search, and again the same at 50% zoom where it is so zoomed out that you can actually see the sample library folders

• Anyone know how to resize the onboard keyboard?

• edited January 2020

Hey guys,

We're about to roll out a patch. It will not address every issue listed here, but tons of fixes (over 35), including bugs, MIDI routing fixes and so much more.

@Tones4Christ To resize the keyboard, touch the keyboard icon in the top center of the keyboard and drag down.

• @MatthewAtZenbeats all patches appreciated!

I'm still seeing crashes scanning all plugins in version 1.1.1.7718

Crashes:

• Ruismaker Noir (Bram Bos)
    • Mononoke Pads (Bram Bos)
    • MIDI Key Zone (Audio Veek)

I also wonder why it takes 20x longer for Zenbeats to scan plugins than other host apps.

• @mojozart said:
    @MatthewAtZenbeats all patches appreciated!

I'm still seeing crashes scanning all plugins in version 1.1.1.7718

Crashes:

• Ruismaker Noir (Bram Bos)
    • Mononoke Pads (Bram Bos)
    • MIDI Key Zone (Audio Veek)

I also wonder why it takes 20x longer for Zenbeats to scan plugins than other host apps.

Definitely still got work to do here. Stay tuned