Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Novation Circuit users...

Meanwhile we dream with an update from Novation next NAMM...

Could someone use something like midi wrench to see what midi data outputs circuit from usb and midi? I have seen the programmers guide but I don't want to edit the Circuit, I want to control iOS apps with it.
Also I read the data sent by din is different from usb...

Someone using it this way?
Thanks <3

Comments

• Isn’t this possible with holding shift switching on and go to the midi menu.
    I know (from yesterday ;)) that it’s the green on second from left (bottom row). Needs to lit up.

Then you can select circuit in AUM and play the iOS plugs. I think it’s the same way you can record on the circuit and play your sequence back?!?! Isn’t it? Maybe that helps a bit already ;)

• @david_2017 said:
    Isn’t this possible with holding shift switching on and go to the midi menu.
    I know (from yesterday ;)) that it’s the green on second from left (bottom row). Needs to lit up.

Then you can select circuit in AUM and play the iOS plugs. I think it’s the same way you can record on the circuit and play your sequence back?!?! Isn’t it? Maybe that helps a bit already ;)

IDK since I haven't one... my main purpose will be as surface controller (with integrated groovebox) instead the opposite.

So AFAIR pads are velocity sensitive (and send note) also lots of other buttons (I want to know about the upper row over the 32 rgb and how these will mess...)

Probably a nutty idea but I can't understand why novation still not gets proper design in some of their gadgets thinking a bit more outside the box.

I will end building my own custom controller but having so nice layout build for groovebox and not for the rest... even a special midi mode supporting Launchpad app will be NUTS!

• Ah i See... you should check this video regarding midi controller

• edited January 2020

This for using the rotaries...

The pads all act different in different screens too...for example on the main session page the pads send Program Change....but on the synth page they send Notes with velocity

Messages are sent on different channels as well.....fo rthe session page, messages are sent on CH16...and when in Synth1, notes are sent to Synth 1 channel (default CH1) and on Synth2 send to CH2 by default....on the drums pages they are sent on CH10. Synth1, 2 and drum channels are settable on the unit (with correct firmware version installed)

Not sure that the 'buttons' above the 32 pad grid send any MIDI

• @AndyPlankton said:

This for using the rotaries...

The pads all act different in different screens too...for example on the main session page the pads send Program Change....but on the synth page they send Notes with velocity

Messages are sent on different channels as well.....fo rthe session page, messages are sent on CH16...and when in Synth1, notes are sent to Synth 1 channel (default CH1) and on Synth2 send to CH2 by default....on the drums pages they are sent on CH10. Synth1, 2 and drum channels are settable on the unit (with correct firmware version installed)

Not sure that the 'buttons' above the 32 pad grid send any MIDI

Thanks guys. That behaviour will limit my use so discarded...

• Since the new year I moved my Circuit from over there gathering dust looking at me, to over here on the other arm of the settee, looking at me.

Yesterday and today I’ve actually been using it. I’ve hooked it up to my Mac and put the editor on it. I remember now why I bought it. It’s the ‘one’ synth (not on iOS) that I wouldn’t mind settling on. From a synth programming point of view, it’s all I need (except for VPM, which is why I’m also interested in the Nu:Tekt NTS-1).

I’ve decided that if I get some momentum up with the Circuit, and that probably involves making up some overlays that I can place nearby the eight irritatingly anonymous knobs (not over the knobs, I’d have to cut out holes, and that’s more bother than it’s worth) then I can write the contents of any macros I create or use. It really is those knobs, I’ve come to hate them, they were such a fucking moronic stupid cretinous idea, I really resent Novation for the idiocy of making a product with no way of knowing which knob is which, the result being simply “never touch the knobs, they probably won’t do what you want”. So, back to paper for this.

I think I remember just prior to the time I bought it I decided that it was a stupid idea on their part, but I could always just use it as a bunch of pads, and also as a superb synth sound source. Somehow I must’ve forgot that and tried using it as a whole little instrument. From now on it’s just a synth sound source to me, and a very good one at that.

• @u0421793 said:
    . It really is those knobs, I’ve come to hate them, they were such a fucking moronic stupid cretinous idea, I really resent Novation for the idiocy of making a product with no way of knowing which knob is which,

Don’t be so polite, tell us what you really think 😂

• To me the real magic of circuit and its suitability to work with iOS is in the fact that pressing a session load button fires off a PC message. This means that if you assign that PC number to an Audiobus preset you can load the whole shebang with only one button press. This is absolutely priceless live.

One button press and you’re ready to go. Get it?! It’s freakin’ amazing!

• @purpan2 said:

@u0421793 said:
    . It really is those knobs, I’ve come to hate them, they were such a fucking moronic stupid cretinous idea, I really resent Novation for the idiocy of making a product with no way of knowing which knob is which,

I ditch my idea of use it as controller for other purposes but for those of you loving the design :trollface: maybe this makes it a bit easier...

• Sorry for bumping this thread!
    How does the much here beloved Beatstep compare to the Circuit as a midi controller? Does it also have a scales mode?
    Cheers

• @TheDubbyLabby said:

@purpan2 said:

@u0421793 said:

I ditch my idea of use it as controller for other purposes but for those of you loving the design :trollface: maybe this makes it a bit easier...

I wonder how hard this is to set up?

• @supadom said:
    To me the real magic of circuit and its suitability to work with iOS is in the fact that pressing a session load button fires off a PC message. This means that if you assign that PC number to an Audiobus preset you can load the whole shebang with only one button press. This is absolutely priceless live.

I used the Circuit like a lead machine....I kind of have blank slate...the other boxes do all else...I live jam Circuit info in.

How are you man!

• @RUST( i )K said:

@supadom said:
    To me the real magic of circuit and its suitability to work with iOS is in the fact that pressing a session load button fires off a PC message. This means that if you assign that PC number to an Audiobus preset you can load the whole shebang with only one button press. This is absolutely priceless live.

I used the Circuit like a lead machine....I kind of have blank slate...the other boxes do all else...I live jam Circuit info in.

How are you man!

Ha, funny you should ask! I’ve been in a Drambo world and almost ready to show off my Drambo centric set up. Circuit is there, ready to be played and all, packed with sessions and sounds but that’s part of the issue. I come up with a tune/riff/whatever every time I jam and Circuit has its meagre 32 sessions that are just not enough sooooo...

I’m enjoying the infinite number of sessions in AB hosting Drambo and my usual suspects. I’m using Roland SPDS to trigger kits and percussion in Drambo, switching presets on SPDS to control different sounds etc. What I appreciate in Drambo is scenes. Circuit felt a bit limiting in terms of scene length so long chord progressions were out of the question. Also mixing samples with synthesis etc etc.

It’s slowly coming together ;)

Other than that I’m not working at the moment so making the best off lockdown, trying to use this time creatively.

How about you, I’ve noticed you had a lil break from posting on the forum?

• @osKar said:
    Sorry for bumping this thread!
    How does the much here beloved Beatstep compare to the Circuit as a midi controller? Does it also have a scales mode?
    Cheers

Hello? Does anyone notice me?

• @osKar said:

@osKar said:
    Sorry for bumping this thread!
    Cheers

Hello? Does anyone notice me?

Hello. I do not own a Beatstep but if I did I would compare the two for you.

• thanks. thats nice of you ;-)

• @osKar A couple of years ago I investigated these two. I went with a bsp and loved it but I kept on watching the development of both boxes.

The amazing thing about Novation is they kept pushing what you could do with the Circuit. Each update seemed to be just amazing. It really isa full features sequencer now. Arturia did some nice updates but much less impressive

So I bought the circuit and hadlots of fun with both.

If you want a midi sequencer Id go with Circuit but if you need CV then bsp is your buddy.

The knobs are 10 times better of the Circuit. I use the circuit 10 times more that the bsp. If it was all about build quality bsp would probaby win however as there have been morecomplaints about double hits on Circuit buttons and esp the play button.

Hows that?

• ... and BSP is difficult to plug into the iPad (There is a button combination to avoid the iPad error that the device needs too much power). The circuit is easy just plug it in. Circuit is an amazing midi controller for the iPad

• @osKar
    I don't own Circuit so can't compare them but I wouldn't recommend Beatstep. It's like a bunch of useful features packed in a almost completely useless form.
    The pads are ok, though I'm using them as on/off switches not for playing.
    The sequencer is way too basic for my needs, but still comes handy from time to time.
    The knobs are probably the most disappointing... This was the main reason I bought it and tried really hard to like it or find a use for it, tried all the possible settings but these rotaries are just the worst.

I'm using mine mostly as a iPad powered midi/sync/cv/clock out interface.

• Thanks a bunch for all your wise commends!
    I was about to buy the Beatstep instead but now I'm convinced - so the Circuit it is then!
    Cheers

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • intereresting, I‘ll definetly try that out.
    does the session view also work the launchpad app or something similar?

• oh what a bummer

• @osKar said:
    oh what a bummer

If you use the MIDI clock IAP in Launchpad then circuit is awesome for sequencing alongside Launchpad, but no integration app wise.

• hmm now the launchpad Pro looks more and more intriguing. it can also sequence hardware and apps, am I right?

• well, I bought a used circuit now and wow it‘s awesome! I love it as a standalone device/groovebox.
    but as a midi controller I‘m a bit disappointed. I noticed these accidently retriggers of some pads which are annoying. As a keyboard substitute it doesn‘t work, but for sequences it‘s certainly fine. but i got the atom piano roll for that already.
    hmmm I guess I stick to my qunexus for my iOS playing, synth recording and stuff... too bad it doesn‘t have knobs :-D

• Ive had the occasional bounce, like I press play and it plays and then stops Immediately but no other complaints. It has defo been reported that some units have bouncy play buttons but Ive not heard reports of the keys being bad.
    I love it a an ipad sequencer