Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Symphonia - Music Studio by Symphonia SAS

https://apps.apple.com/dk/app/symphonia-music-studio/id1480224509

Description:

*** Winner of the Bpifrance French Innovation Contest ***
*** Winner of the French Tech Emergence Award ***

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE APPLIED TO MUSIC
Symphonia is the very first mobile application that uses artificial intelligence to revolutionize musical creation!

CREATE AMAZING SONGS ONLY WITH YOUR VOICE
No need to know how to play an instrument! Just sing a melody. And Symphonia automatically detects the notes you sing and magically transforms them into amazing musical instruments in MIDI format!

IMMORTALIZE YOUR MUSICAL IDEAS WHEREVER YOU ARE
Forget your voice recorder and its unusable audio memos! With Symphonia, you have an immediate, orchestrated and editable rendering of all your musical ideas in MIDI format! You can even export your MIDI projects to your desktop music software.

ADD AS MANY INSTRUMENTS AS YOU WANT
Thanks to an incredible collection of instruments, you can build your musical project - track by track - by superimposing as many instruments as you have in mind and compose stunning songs with professional rendering!

A "TRUE" MOBILE RECORDING STUDIO
We have thought of everything to make your user experience as simple as possible so that you can only focus on creating music! A super simple interface, a minimum of buttons, powerful functionalities: a real super intuitive recording studio specially designed for mobile and for nomadic music composition.

FEATURES

• Intelligent detection of sung melodies
  • Automatic transcription into beautiful MIDI instruments
  • Rhythm correction (Quantize)
  • Snapping of a melody to many scales: Jazz, Blues, Oriental, Gipsy, Klezmer, Chinese, ... (KeyMagnet)
  • Generation of complex automatic chords (Autochords)
  • Key transposition
  • Manual editing with real-time rendering
  • Mixing console
  • Amazing collection of instruments: pianos/keyboards, strings, guitars, basses, woodwinds, brass, ethnic instruments, percussions, ...
  • Melodic loops, chord progressions
  • MIDI export of your musical projects
  • Sharing of your creations with your friends

Made by music lovers, for music lovers.

Comments

• Free preorder = free later?
    No subs info, or IAP listed.
    Anyway, looks interesting.
    Hope it sounds interesting, too.

• @CracklePot said:
    Free preorder = free later?

I hope it’s not subscription based !

• @White said:

@CracklePot said:

Myself also.
    I’ve already put an order in.

• No ipad? Why?

• I am very interested in this . Just please don’t make it a subscription. No one is interested in that

• Not available anymore...oh well...

• @cuscolima said:
    Not available anymore...oh well...

It is still avaliable in the danish app store.

• @cuscolima said:

Still up for pre-order in Germany, 1.5GB though

• @White said:

@CracklePot said:

@JackRubinacci said:
    I am very interested in this . Just please don’t make it a subscription. No one is interested in that

Extract from their web site:

https://symphonia.app/terms-of-use.html

..... COMMUNITY/ACCOUNT
    When You create an account with Us, You must provide Us information that is accurate, complete, and current at all times. Failure to do so constitutes a breach of these Terms, which may result in immediate termination of Your account on Our App.

You are responsible for safeguarding the password that You use to access the App and for any activities or actions under Your password, whether Your password is with Our App or a third-party service.

You agree not to disclose Your password to any third party. You must notify Us immediately upon becoming aware of any breach of security or unauthorized use of Your account.

You may not use as a username the name of another person or entity or that is not lawfully available for use, a name or trade mark that is subject to any rights of another person or entity other than You without appropriate authorization, or a name that is otherwise offensive, vulgar or obscene.

SYMPHONIA SUBSCRIPTIONS
    Symphonia subscriptions are charged monthly or annually to Your iTunes Account. Subscriptions will then auto-renew every month or year unless turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. To stop auto-renewal, visit Account Settings in iTunes after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial, if offered, will be forfeited when You purchase a subscription, if applicable.

• @White said:

@cuscolima said:

It is still avaliable in the danish app store.

Still shows in the U.K. store, pre ordered but can’t find any other info on it.

• Subscription. No thanks😂

• @Gilbert said:

@White said:

@CracklePot said:

@JackRubinacci said:
    I am very interested in this . Just please don’t make it a subscription. No one is interested in that

Extract from their web site:

..... COMMUNITY/ACCOUNT
    When You create an account with Us, You must provide Us information that is accurate, complete, and current at all times. Failure to do so constitutes a breach of these Terms, which may result in immediate termination of Your account on Our App.

You are responsible for safeguarding the password that You use to access the App and for any activities or actions under Your password, whether Your password is with Our App or a third-party service.

You agree not to disclose Your password to any third party. You must notify Us immediately upon becoming aware of any breach of security or unauthorized use of Your account.

You may not use as a username the name of another person or entity or that is not lawfully available for use, a name or trade mark that is subject to any rights of another person or entity other than You without appropriate authorization, or a name that is otherwise offensive, vulgar or obscene.

SYMPHONIA SUBSCRIPTIONS
    Symphonia subscriptions are charged monthly or annually to Your iTunes Account. Subscriptions will then auto-renew every month or year unless turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. To stop auto-renewal, visit Account Settings in iTunes after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial, if offered, will be forfeited when You purchase a subscription, if applicable.

Thanks, then I am not interested in it anymore.

• edited January 2020

Looks like there will be accounts, subscriptions of some kind will be present, you will need consent to use it for “any commercial purpose” but they will have “irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide” rights to your music creations to use through the app, and if you upload to their servers, they might delete your content without letting you know.

Up to you if it’s worth it still?🤷🏻‍♂️

Edit: Looks like I was beaten in my post-making. :smile:

• Not interested especially that they hide informations about the subscription. No informations on the App Store, description and IN the app (I downloaded it, and checked every place). I don't like this kind of marketing. It impacts for my opinion of the whole app.

• The app was available to download and started downloading.

I read the recent posts.

Cancelled download.

• In short: 👎

• I was able to download and start using it without having to make an account or subscribe to anything, nor did I see any options in the app to sign up for a subscription. The problem was the app performance itself for me. Possibly because I installed it on an old iPhone 5s, but it crashed several times, and did not track my voice well at all. I tried different quantize settings, set the key of the song, and even tried playing the melody as I sang on guitar to make sure I was singing on key.
    It’s crashing a LOT and when I relaunch it nothing is saved. Maybe someone with a newer IPhone will have better luck with it. I have an IPhone 7 Plus with a busted screen I need to get fixed and would be interested to know if anyone with a 7 plus has a better experience. Anyway for me it’s a no go performance wise.

• @Strizbiz , iPhone 7 is the minimum recommended device

• I got the answer from the dev :) He registered on this forum but can't write posts. Do You know why? Any test period for new users? It is first message from him. Please don't ask me about the app :smiley: Maybe he will appear later.

Hello, lead developper from Symphonia here :)

First, I'd like to thanks MAtrixplan for notifying us of this thread.

To let you know a little bit more about us. We started, my partner Stevie Tordjmann and I, working on a proof of concept of the algorithm in last january, and left our career to focus on the development of this app, hopping we can bring something new and powerfull to musicians.

On the subscription/monetisation of the app: Food is not free (at least, not in france 🤣) and we expect that by providing a quality product, we can live from our work. Today, there is no in app monetisation in the actual version. This is why you don't see any thing related to it on the apple store. The app do not contain any written code that could possibly charge money. The reason is that we wanted to provide the features first, before asking any of you for support. This explain why we anticipated the future content and provided the informations relative to the subscription in our terms of use.

We had planed to monetise the app through an in app subscription which would provide an enhanced experience. Without subscription, you can still record your songs, export your midi files to your daw / music software. You can still use a subset of the music instruments provided. To have access to more music instruments, melody loops and chord progressions, you will be able to subscribe to an enhanced experience.

We actually had to choose between in app purchase and subscription fee. We though that in app purchase would be too expensive, as buying 20 instruments/midi loops/etc. would cost $20, and we are planing to add content every month, once the monetisation available (in a future version). But if our users tell us they really prefer in app purchase, it is still not too late to make some changes :)

On the size of the app: For now, all instrument are shiped in the app. This explain this huge size of 1.5Go. We have plan to allow downloading the instrument asynchronously once the app is installed, to smooth the experience. But this require work and will be for a future release.

Regarding your music / saves / creations: Your music is YOUR music. We won't delete the saves from your phone. We won't force you to pay to record your voice, or access it. We want to provide a good product, and allow you to support us while still getting something worth from your money. If you want simply a voice to midi app and are in a low budget, this is fine: you will still have access to the core of the app for free.

Regarding iphone 5s and iPads: Unfortunately, we worked on supporting devices from 6s, as the computation and memory power of older iPhone are too restrictive for the algorithm and usage of multiple instruments :( It is still a lot of work and we would require a bigger team to handle more devices. Same answer for iPads: we are not enough developers working on it now :(

I hope I clarified a little our intent. If I forgot to answer some questions, or you want me to develop some aspect of my answer, please ask. I'll do my best to answer you.

And thanks again for taking the time to look at our app. We really worked very hard to bundle all this stuff together and we really apreciate that you took time to look at us. We are a small time and do our best to compete with "corporate size" apps, and it's not always easy. 😅

• Very nice post from this dev. I ALWAYS prefer in app purchase instead of any kind of subscription, but should be even better a full paid app and a free demo one.

• @Faland said:

"...but should be even better a full paid app and a free demo one."

+1

• FWIW I don’t think a prize of $20 is out of line. I echo the aversion to subscription. Two points:

1. App size. Many, at least here, already have a number of quality instruments. A download-on-demand approach may avoid too much duplication.
    2. It looks like the app is currently portrait only. Many iPad users (vastly) landscape mode.

All in all an interesting-looking app. A promo code to @thesoundtestroom would be helpful.

• Someone send the devs a link to this thread. In app purchase of $20 is preferable for sure!

• $20 IAP for high-quality instruments is always preferable to subscriptions.

• IMMORTALIZE YOUR MUSICAL IDEAS WHEREVER YOU ARE!

Seriously though, I have no problem paying proper money for a proper app, but would also suggest (strongly) that the dev ask @thesoundtestroom nicely to do a stream or demo etc.

• edited January 2020

Hello all! I am the lead developper of Symphonia. I got my account approved and can now answer you directly. :)

Little bit more about commercial use and your rights to your music creation ( @MrFromage ):

The commercial usage restriction apply to "commercial usage of the app" (for example paid training to symphonia usage), not to your music creation. This mean you can create your musical ideas in symphonia, bounce it to your daw, make it into a full song, master it, print a record and start selling your album. It is actually what symphonia is intended to. :)

On the monetization:

It seams we have to discusse it in detail with you, before taking any action. For now, the current apple store version is free and unlimited, and we do not make money from it. We are working full time on this application and we hope we could monetize it soon, so that we can be self sustained. (Or even better: makes benefits and be able to hire developpers :D)

I saw many peoples in this thread was very unhappy to the idea that monetization would be made through subscription. SO I want to let you know that although we wrote the terms of use and moved in this direction the last few months, nothing is frozen, no code is written yet, and it is not too late to change it. Indeed, until last september, we had a in app purchase monetization scheme in mind.

I personally had good experience with some subscriptions app. To name them (sorry for the advertising) Sleep Cycle, Pixaloop, Mojo, Audible. I would like to know which bad experiences you get from subscription Apps that made you so disapointed. (You can tell me in PM if you dont want to mention it publicly.)

Now I will tell you how I see the 3 most common monetization scheme used for Apps, how I see their implementation, and what incentive they will probably bring to the company/app on the long term.

1) Single Purchase App:
    First think that I should tell you: I am against it. Single purchase app is when you buy a video game on the App store. You know what you get (well, most of the time), once you buy it you can keep it for as long as you want, and retrieve it when you change phone. It will never change, levels won't disappear / appear, and when the developpers made new content, they usually create a new app the re-use the game engine, but provide new content (ex: angry birds). I think this is be the worst monetization scheme for symphonia. This would really put the economical incentive into marketing, and making the minimum of updates to the curently available app on the store. Since once an user bought it we got the money, why should we care for the experience following the payment? This would also create a strong incentive to make a Symphonia 2 app, then a Symphonia 3...... I think this is bod both for users, for developpers, and for the company. And this is not the kind of relatiship I want to build with the music community.

2) In App or Subscription:
    This is the two montetization scheme my partner and I have been discussing. Back in last January we was deeply conviced by an in app purchase system. We change our mind last september, and I will do my best to let you know how we imagined both approach.

*) Core feature of symphonia is free:
    Independently of the monetization scheme, we want the core feature of symphonia to be free. You can see it as a demmo app, but I would say its even more.
    By core features, I mean :

• Recording yourself singing and get midi notes on the screen (PS: although it is not intended for, I also get good result puting the phone on a synthetyser while playing 🤣). We have plans (and work in progress 🤫 ) to improve it and make it more resilient.
    • Exporting your song to midi so that we can use it with your daw.
    • A minimal set of music instruments (lets say AT LEAST 10, put probably more) so that you can create draft of songs that express your idea. Maybe you won't be able using the free version to use this awesome asian flute you love so much and use instead a generic european flute. I think it remains a good experience. :)

Notice that the core features are enougth to use symphonia with your daw and your own virtual music instrument. ;)

*) In App purchase:
    In the in app purchase approach, we will release around each month something between 20 and 50 new "items". Today, an items is either a chord progression, a melody, or a music instrument. It may be more in the future (we want it) but for now it is limited to this 3 elements. Since minimal price for an in app purchase is 0.99$, experiencing the full unlimited symphonia experience would cost around 20$ to 50$ per month of in app purchase. Of course, you don't have to buy everything. But we want to provide a quality experiene, so we expect the quality of all our monetized feature to be at least as good as what you experienced before.

This scheme create an incentive to create content, and good content. Maybe a little bit too much, since in this setting provinding more quantity content may looks more interesting than fixing bugs. 😅

Few other things related to this settings are: More complexity on the implementation side since we have to maintain a list of which item you bought and which you didn't. We also have to make sure you can restore in app purchase from the history of all your transactions, which may be complexe as you spend more time on the app. It's also a problem for new user, since after 6 month buying the "full symphonia experience" would cost... well, I let you do the math, but it's a bit expensive. 😅 This also means a complex marketing with reduction pack and special offer that may already cover items you bougth independently, and overlaping packs. Probably more variance in the income curve / more seasonal than a subscription based model. One last thing is what happen if we modify one of the existing instrument to improve the quality. Although we are sure that a majority of peoples would agree to what is better quality and what is worst quality, 100% agreement will never happen. This means that if we have to change any of the existing item you already bought, what you bought in the past may not be exactly what you will get in the future. In an in app purchase scheme we would have a clause in our terms of use about it, but it still worry me a bit.

*) Subscription based:
    I won't give any price now, because I can't promise anything.
    We discussed it previously with my partner and what we had in mind is defenitively not expensive.
    Subscription would be monthly and yearly based, with a huge discount for yearly subscription (although monthly subscription will definitively remain affordable).

In a such setting, we would release quality content every month. Probably around 20 items, more if we have extra time. :) This create an incentive not only to the app content, but to an overall experience. Since we don't directly get money from content, but from the overall satisfaction, bug fixing is also part of the deal. I think this create an incentive to a mix of:

• Content
    • Features
    • Bug fixing / more stable app
    • Non regressin

and also force us to listen more closely to the users, since users may "punish" us by stoping their subscription.

From the implementation landscape, it's way more simple. Either you are in a subscribing state, and you get everything in the app, either you are not and you get the free core features. End of your subscription period won't remove any of your saved files, you will still be able to export their midi or open your projects.

To sum up, monetization is the way for those who love our app to give us some support so that we can eat, pay our rent, and if things gets very nice even recruite developpers. :)
    I am leaning a little bit toward subscription instead of in app purchase, but as you saw both scheme are definitely viable for us.
    We will discuss it carefully, and probably take action to get solid statistics before taking a decision.
    We don't want to punish users who can't affort more than the free features, and we want the app to remain usable even if you cannot support us. We don't want a 1 minute usage and then you have to pay. Furthermore, the support we get will impact all users (free and non free) as improvements in the core features will be enjoyed by everybody.

• edited January 2020

No ipad no interest, if it is just for phone it is just a toy.
    And i dont want to hear any old pony about 'small development team'
    Try actually being part of the scene you are trying to sell to, go look at what small developers have done here hahaha (NS2, BM3 etc etc)

• @JeremyCochoy Hi Jeremy, welcome to the forum! Thank you for your detailed answer. I don’t have much time right now, more later but briefly: subscription is a value proposition. For instance, if I listen to a lot of Audiobooks, a subscription to Audible can make sense.

Many here have hundreds of audio apps, subscriptions to even a fraction would lead to bankruptcy in a short time. So it depends, is your app the one that delivers such a value added each month that people couldn’t be without it?

• @Turntablist said:
    No ipad no interest, if it is just for phone it is just a toy.
    And i dont want to hear any old pony about 'small development team'
    Try actually being part of the scene you are trying to sell to, go look at what small developers have done here hahaha (NS2, BM3 etc etc)

Well look at those manners

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    Many here have hundreds of audio apps, subscriptions to even a fraction would lead to bankruptcy in a short time. So it depends, is your app the one that delivers such a value added each month that people couldn’t be without it?

It’s exactly this. Most on this forum completely agree with developers needing to make an income to sustain their apps, but subscriptions are truly a non-starter for most people here.

If a person has 5 music apps and uses them constantly then sure It could make sense, but most here have hundreds and don’t use any one app often enough to justify a subscription. It’s more like asking us to subscribe to each book inside Audible in our use cases...

Several music developers have tried subscriptions and I don’t think a single one worked out (and went to a “lifetime unlock” iap model later). I wouldn’t even give a subscription app the time of day to consider it, but I had no problem paying $50 for Cubasis a couple of times over the years.

I applaud you though for your careful consideration and decision making! Best of luck to you.