Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The quad iPad setup of Beardyman

I have never heard of this dude, but he was in the newest issue of Computer Music

Anyone know if he’s any good? He also uses Ableton.

Comments

• This is the video of it all. He doesn’t seem to have any central hub...the laptop I guess?

• Yes, he's pretty awesome! Absolutely check out in YouTube. I also use a 4 iPad setup, different sizes though, pro, normal, mini

• Good to see him still doing his thing.
    I saw him live for the first time in a
    club called ,’Cargo’, many moons ago.
    He only had a looper then.
    Awesome beatboxer and performer.
    Good to see him on the iOS platform.

• Beardyman been doing his thing for a long time !!

Check out the Beardyman presets in Sugarbytes Turnado. Creative stuff.

• ttkttk
    edited January 2020

@inakarmacoma said:
    Yes, he's pretty awesome! Absolutely check out in YouTube. I also use a 4 iPad setup, different sizes though, pro, normal, mini

Super interested! What is your setup?

(edited) Nevermind, I just saw your 'Ikea Hack' thread.

So... A lot of virtual synths he?

• What app is he running?

• @animalelder said:
    I have never heard of this dude, but he was in the newest issue of Computer Music

Anyone know if he’s any good? He also uses Ableton.

a month ago he said he is done w Apple

FYI

• @MonzoPro said:
    What app is he running?

looks like Midi Designer (or one of the other 'build your own midi control surface' kits)

• @Telefunky said:

@MonzoPro said:
    What app is he running?

looks like Midi Designer (or one of the other 'build your own midi control surface' kits)

Ah ok cheers.

• edited January 2020

He’s pissed at Apple.

• He's an amazing performer, and uses a lot of custom software designed just for him by DMG Audio, one of the best developers out there.

• Does he use a separate audio interface for each iPad?

• @Tarekith said:
    He's an amazing performer, and uses a lot of custom software designed just for him by DMG Audio, one of the best developers out there.

interesting, I had wondered who did his software design. A few years back he did an interview, and just briefly mentioned "bespoke controller apps" for MIDI and OSC controls on the iPads. I love the way he proves iPad as controller can be consistent, reliable, and workable on stage in a live setting (sweat, nerves, wear and tear, etc). Those iPad buttons, faders, and controls are not huge but he's built a rig that he can master and control with impressive results.

Cool to see him get the article in Computer Music, @animalelder is there a link you can share?
    Beardyman is definitely at the forefront of creativity for live sound generation and manipulation. If anything, his craft is so well-produced it is easy to forget that he is building everything live from scratch using vocals only. his YouTube livestreams are great, especially the ones where the camera angle shows more of his setup.

• edited January 2020

@auxmux said:
    Does he use a separate audio interface for each iPad?

the audio is all processed in Ableton on the mac, so the iPads are just MIDI or OSC controllers, looks to me like each one has the standard USB -lightning adapter sending out the data to a hub somewhere.

edit: nope, looks like standard lightning cables in the latest video posted above. No clue how he has them connected to the Mac/Ableton.

• He’s basically like a comedic version of Tim Exile (of endlesss “fame”). Very interactive with audience etc...

Or you could say he’s an expanded version of DubFX.

The key thing about Exile and Beardyman is that they have crafted a bespoke ui/ux that allows them to do what they want to do on the fly.

I’m convinced that the next major “thing” in music is going to be a focus on live, performance-oriented, improvised music/sound. And that is going to lead to the realization that most music hardware sucks ass for live performance unless you’re a keys player...

The Roland mc707 is prob the best new breed, but the lack of faders or even (as far as I can tell) the lack of ability to map midi faders to drum voices is a bummer...

Deluge is also cool, but it needs more interface elements.

Basically my point as it relates to this thread is that there would be a shit-ton more live electronic music acts if everyone didn’t have to spend 9 years building a rig... 😏

• @Hmtx said:

@Tarekith said:

Cool to see him get the article in Computer Music, @animalelder is there a link you can share?

I have a Readly account, which is a digital magazine reader, so I am not sure if there is a way I can link the article.

But if you have an AT&T account, I got 6 months of free service through the AT&T Thanks program.

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    He’s basically like a comedic version of Tim Exile (of endlesss “fame”). Very interactive with audience etc...

The key thing about Exile and Beardyman is that they have crafted a bespoke ui/ux that allows them to do what they want to do on the fly.

I’m convinced that the next major “thing” in music is going to be a focus on live, performance-oriented, improvised music/sound. And that is going to lead to the realization that most music hardware sucks ass for live performance unless you’re a keys player...

The Roland mc707 is prob the best new breed, but the lack of faders or even (as far as I can tell) the lack of ability to map midi faders to drum voices is a bummer...

Basically my point as it relates to this thread is that there would be a shit-ton more live electronic music acts if everyone didn’t have to spend 9 years building a rig... 😏

Are you in Tim Exile's Endlesss beta? It has changed both my perception of what the live, improvised, collaborative future looks like (it's awesome) and how quickly we are moving toward it.

• edited January 2020

@lukesleepwalker said:

Are you in Tim Exile's Endlesss beta? It has changed both my perception of what the live, improvised, collaborative future looks like (it's awesome) and how quickly we are moving toward it.

Yup... I've been working on this direction for like 3+ years now...

If you know Tim (or at least his work, approach etc.) then you're prob. aware of his "flow machine." I discovered him/it about a year into my "pilgrimage" to create a setup that allows me to play 100% live, improvised, electronic music by hitting shit with drumsticks. :)

Here's a (really shitty) video from a while ago showing a setup that was fun, but nearly impossible to keep working and far to complex.

I've "evolved" the setup a bit. I gave up on the "religious" conviction against using samples and have incorporated the Alesis Strike MultiPad. So I do sound design on the ipad, then sample those hits/loops into the SMP.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9wicxCcUA9x6m8BZA

re: Endlesss... While it's fun, it seems a bit too limited. At least now. I'd give a nut if he just made the buffered looper a stand-alone AU. :)

• edited January 2020

@MonkeyDrummer said:
    He’s basically like a comedic version of Tim Exile (of endlesss “fame”). Very interactive with audience etc...

Tim Exile is better musician and comedian.

DubFx even more musician. Or almost more regular as musician.

Beardyman is a great entertainer for sure.

The problem about Beardy is what he wants it's outta space (and drive by imagination which is infinite by definition) so probably any mac/windows machine is going to wreck.
    Also there is a problem with musicians coming from HipHop (and Battles) which music is not the main focus but technique and purism so if you ask that target the common response is Dubfx makes the same beatbox every song and then sings as something negative... but that's the positive point.
    Dubfx uses beatbox and looping as tools not as identity so anyone can enjoy his songs without knowing nothing about beatbox or looping. In addition he doesn't needs to be champion of nothing to be a great performer...
    meanwhile in the opposite corner the day after Beardy left KP3 and started his martian journey with the Beardytron lots of fans get pissed off due it wasn't the same.
    So hooray for innovation...
    Sometimes I remember how HipHop was born... slipmats, coins over needles and cutting are all HACKS on regular gear drove by innovation and push boundaries and think how solidifying that essence is killing It.

There was upon a time where DVS were fake and toy... cof cof...
    now Rane Twelves are setting new standard :lol:

And we will end just playing keys (or analog turntables) but meanwhile and in between there is still room for improvement. Obviously brands are more and more conservative (and financial crisis didn't help) so few improvements are made aside incremental. Roli is the latest innovators (and near to affordable) in our field. Pioneer or NI aren't. Also underground like Portablist movement.
    There is still hope...

Pioneer have changed since it was sold releasing self cooked products and keeping the price tag at luxury range. The worst is doing things better than Roland in fields where Roland expend the last 40 years... :facepalm:
    Capitalism as its best (not intention to start a derail argument, just remembering everyone the world we live)

It's the boutique and indie part of the market. Innovation at high prices with slow development... but a godsend because it could be Roland :trollface:

Agreed and I will add or 9 years learning to scratch or play keys so for me simplicity is the key. That's why I'm more fan of DubFx than Beardyman (but love them the same for being authentic and inspiring).

The world need all of these/us to learn and grow. Different POV and lots of options to get to our own point.

:wink:

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Looks like Lemur.