Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I've made a VJing / Glitch App for iPad, and I need your feedbacks to make it even better!

Hello everyone, my name is Jerome from France.

I've been passionate about glitching images and videos for a while now and I recently decided to put all my experimentations into an iPad app (as far as I can develop it)

It has a bunch of effect, the purpose is not only to create nice and funky videos
but also to be played live.
For that it has a in-app locked expert mode where you can control the app with MIDI

Also keep in mind that this is a work in progress, and the user interface is meant to be very accessible so there are some limitations

Check the app here: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/glitch-clip/id1487987092?l=fr&ls=1

See some videos I made with it (quite static, mostly to show effects):

And one with MIDI controlled via Ableton

Comments

• First off, this is really cool. I've got questions around how this would work though on a single device... I guess you'd need to have your midi source running in the background and this in the foreground? (I guess you could have two devices also, one handling audio, one handling visuals).

Is it possible at all to have this running as an AUv3 and it still display graphics? Just thinking this way you can run things on the same screen. But maybe that doesn't make sense... and maybe it's not even possible.

Any kind of tutorial video or demo of how to put stuff together in it? I do like the effects

• Is this something like Vidibox or TouchViz?

• Looks really really cool! I would love to give it a spin. Or more videos on how people are using it. But I think it could be exactly what I need for the jamuary month ;) haha

• edited January 2020

I think it's more similar to TouchViz than vidibox. I've been playing with this and see a lot of potential. I suggested that it provide a virtual MIDI destination to make it easier for other apps to send MIDI to it, and I suggested that it provide a default MIDI map (as does TouchViz) so that it would be easy to control it out-of-the-box using, e.g., a MIDI Designer or TouchOSC layout.

• edited January 2020

Sigh... Who can I send money to and have them just fucking port Winamp/milkdrop to an AU?!

It’s open source for Pete’s sake!

https://sourceforge.net/projects/milkdrop2/

People have been begging for an audio reactive AU visualizer for YEARS!!!!

*** Edit... So it appears there's been an effort to port it:
    https://github.com/projectM-visualizer/projectm

So if someone could shove that into an AU... Boom! Insta-millionaire! :)

• Awesome @jrmgx - going to check this out!

@MonkeyDrummer Staella is close to a visualizer.

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    Sigh... Who can I send money to and have them just fucking port Winamp/milkdrop to an AU?!

Yes

• This VJ app's MIDI features give it some audio-reactive capabilities. For example, route audio through an EQ band-pass then into an envelope follower such as FAC Envolver, and send the MIDI output to Glitch Clip, where it is mapped to one or more of the mix controls.

• @auxmux said:
    Awesome @jrmgx - going to check this out!

Stella is a bug fest. Half the the time it opens to a black screen that won't go away, the recording function is stupid as there's no preroll or anything, and it's really limited vs milk drop.

• @mojozart said:
    This VJ app's MIDI features give it some audio-reactive capabilities. For example, route audio through an EQ band-pass then into an envelope follower such as FAC Envolver, and send the MIDI output to Glitch Clip, where it is mapped to one or more of the mix controls.

And then wave a dead chicken over it while patting yourself on the head while rubbing your stomach.

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@mojozart said:
    This VJ app's MIDI features give it some audio-reactive capabilities. For example, route audio through an EQ band-pass then into an envelope follower such as FAC Envolver, and send the MIDI output to Glitch Clip, where it is mapped to one or more of the mix controls.

And then wave a dead chicken over it while patting yourself on the head while rubbing your stomach.

Whatever floats your boat.

• Regarding the interest in an AU Visualizer, I haven't been keeping up with recent developments, but the last time I asked about this was in relation to an AU tuner, and I was told by one dev that the refresh rate available to AU would not support it. The AU memory limits may not support much in the way of video either.

Glitch Clip manipulates clips of 10 seconds maximum / 640 x 480px / 25 FPS.

• edited January 2020

@mojozart said:
    The AU memory limits may not support much in the way of video either.

Maybe not through the conventional way...what about something similar to how Tube AU works?
    Technically, the only thing Tube AU needs is the ability to launch specific portions of the video via MIDI.

Edit: This app looks sick. Going to have to wait for payday lol.

• Does this app play user clips via midi?

Or does it glitch the image going through with effects?

• There is more description here:

https://jerome.gangneux.net/glitch-clip/

It's a video blender designed to work well with short 10-sec clips like those obtainable from giphy

• Okay, thank you all for this first batch of replies, I was off to bed and I come back with all those questions, that's great!

@iammane said:
    First off, this is really cool. I've got questions around how this would work though on a single device... I guess you'd need to have your midi source running in the background and this in the foreground? (I guess you could have two devices also, one handling audio, one handling visuals).

Is it possible at all to have this running as an AUv3 and it still display graphics? Just thinking this way you can run things on the same screen. But maybe that doesn't make sense... and maybe it's not even possible.

Any kind of tutorial video or demo of how to put stuff together in it? I do like the effects

Thank you for your reply.

You are right: on a single device you'll have to plug an other instrument in the device,
    you can not have an app running on the device to control Glitch Clip (it's kind of an iPad limitation).
    You will find more information on the help page here https://jerome.gangneux.net/glitch-clip/ — including the part where I plug a MIDI controller, but as you may have understood from the video in my post you can plug an other app too — Ableton live in my example

@rs2000 said:
    Is this something like Vidibox or TouchViz?

From an external point of view it's more close to Vidibox (that I did not know until today) than TouchViz.

I really want it to be accessible to anyone on the first use — so it can be seen like a fun app to play with — enhance the Giphy import embeded into it.
    But it has advanced feature too like MIDI control and A/B blending — on that side it's more close to TouchViz.

@david_2017 said:
    Looks really really cool! I would love to give it a spin. Or more videos on how people are using it. But I think it could be exactly what I need for the jamuary month ;) haha

Thank you!

It has just been launched so for now you won't find much video of it,
    but you can help by making some :)

@mojozart said:
    I think it's more similar to TouchViz than vidibox. I've been playing with this and see a lot of potential. I suggested that it provide a virtual MIDI destination to make it easier for other apps to send MIDI to it, and I suggested that it provide a default MIDI map (as does TouchViz) so that it would be easy to control it out-of-the-box using, e.g., a MIDI Designer or TouchOSC layout.

Hello, thank you for your previous feedbacks (including the one about this forum)

In a previous reply below I've written that it's more close to vidibox, but it depends how you look at it.

You are right by saying that's it more close to TouchViz as it's quite advanced and can be controlled via MIDI
    but in my head I want the user interface to stay a clear as possible, that's why I said Vidibox

Let's say I want the best of both worlds!

As you know, I've pushed your MIDI suggestions into my todo list and it will come in the app in the future!

Thank you again!

@MonkeyDrummer said:

*** Edit... So it appears there's been an effort to port it:
    https://github.com/projectM-visualizer/projectm

So if someone could shove that into an AU... Boom! Insta-millionaire! :)

Send the money to me :)

No I'm just joking — that being said I have in my todo list for Glitch Clip an "auto mix" mode that would listen through the mic for audio and react with some effect from the App.

I did not know about those projects you just mentioned but I'll have a look, we never know!

@auxmux said:
    Awesome @jrmgx - going to check this out!

Thank you!

Funny thing here, for Glitch Clip I did not check what already existed before making it.
    Usually when I make an App, I check what would be the competitors
    but because for Glitch Clip it's more a personal project that I'm testing than anything else I was going to do it that way no matter what.

Now I'm discovering some pretty interesting app here thanks to you :)

@mojozart said:
    Regarding the interest in an AU Visualizer, I haven't been keeping up with recent developments, but the last time I asked about this was in relation to an AU tuner, and I was told by one dev that the refresh rate available to AU would not support it. The AU memory limits may not support much in the way of video either.

Glitch Clip manipulates clips of 10 seconds maximum / 640 x 480px / 25 FPS.

Right, let's talk about some technicals here so you can understand better my choices.

The App is made with Unity, I've chosen this because I know quite well how to program for Unity
    and also because in theory — but it's not planed yet — it could be easily ported to other platforms (like macos).

Clips are 10 seconds maximum (640 x 480px 25fps) because behind the scene each one is converted to a list of images
    that way I have more possibilities in term of effects.
    It also allows the whole App to be very fast and still memory efficient (an iPad would typically have 1.5gb of RAM maximum for a given app, and that's not much)

By having the real images ready instead of a video
    - I can switch between clips very fast,
    - do math on image like some A/B blending,
    - play in at different speed — including reverse
    all of this for a minimal CPU and RAM

And the "glitch effect" in the App is some real JPG glitch — and I love that — it means that I build a JPG image from the current frame, shuffle a bunch of data in that JPG and show it like that (and tada it appears glitched)

Still I'm here to gather idea so my choices are not finals!

@Gravitas said:
    Does this app play user clips via midi?

Or does it glitch the image going through with effects?

The app has clip embedded — and you can also import your too, or find some on Giphy —
    It glitches/add effect to those clips, not from an external source.
    That being said, I have a feature where you could use the iPad's camera in my todo list.

To you all:

Note that I'm also here because I'm looking to find a way to put the App in more hands, I'm a technical guy
    and I've done this app because it's a little bit of my passion to marry programming and video/image/music.

Passed this step, i'm a little bit lost so maybe you have idea of where I can talk about this app, or some feature that would allow it to be unique, or anything really!

Thank you all for your time, really appreciate.

• I saw a guy supporting The Fall, over ten years ago now, who had an amazing video thing in his performance. It was basically an electronic set, but the ‘vocals’ were clips of Elvis and others, singing and saying stuff in time to the music, like standard sampled fare.

The difference was the clips were projected onto a big screen, and he was able to manipulate them in real time - scrubbing the video/audio forwards and backward, or holding it in one position. Very similar to what we can do with Audiostretch, but with video as well as the audio.

This was pre-Ableton days, I guess it’s possible to do this now with Max, though I’ve yet to find anything. It’d be perfect for iOS.

• Is there an internal library of clips within the app or can you only import video?

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    Is there an internal library of clips within the app or can you only import video?

There are a few clips bundled into the app plus you can browse Giphy within the app itself and get clip from here!
    And of course you can import your own clip too

• Thanks @jrmgx / I’m going to do a iPad noise session soon and mess with the app and see what happens. Will post here when I do

@jrmgx said:

@iOSTRAKON said:
    Is there an internal library of clips within the app or can you only import video?

There are a few clips bundled into the app plus you can browse Giphy within the app itself and get clip from here!
    And of course you can import your own clip too

• @iOSTRAKON
    Looking forward to
    seeing your results.

@mistercharlie

Nice write up.

• Thanks @Gravitas ! Already messing around with it.

One thing I would like is to have the option to import whole video files to this. Not sure if possible but it would open a whole new world. Great work!

@Gravitas said:
    @iOSTRAKON
    Looking forward to
    seeing your results.

@mistercharlie

Nice write up.

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    Thanks @Gravitas ! Already messing around with it.

One thing I would like is to have the option to import whole video files to this. Not sure if possible but it would open a whole new world. Great work!

@Gravitas said:
    @iOSTRAKON
    Looking forward to
    seeing your results.

@mistercharlie

Nice write up.

I was thinking the same in regards
    to importing my own videos.
    It would also be away of bypassing
    the limitation imposed by
    traditional video/film editors.

• Yes, I’m trying to figure how to implement clips to a edited session with Lumafusion. Maybe if he could mirror this app for a non gif editor. Basically Lumafusion on acid

@Gravitas said:

@iOSTRAKON said:
    Thanks @Gravitas ! Already messing around with it.

@Gravitas said:
    @iOSTRAKON
    Looking forward to
    seeing your results.

@mistercharlie

Nice write up.

I was thinking the same in regards
    to importing my own videos.
    It would also be away of bypassing
    the limitation imposed by
    traditional video/film editors.

• Thank you very much for this article
    At some point you're talking about plugin Ableton and Glitch Clip
    see a video here:
    It makes it more easy to understand

@Gravitas @iOSTRAKON
    I'm looking for a way to use full videos instead of "clips"
    but as I wrote on the technical note above, the clips form factor comes mostly for performance reason as I want the app to be able to be played live without any lag.
    Still I may have an idea for a good compromise
    It will need some time before I can implement it (not so easy to do)

• @jrmgx I added that video. Thanks!

• Cool, I hear ya. I found a way to experiment to add some texture to my vids. Had fun with it last night and looking forward to see what you add to it. Great work @jrmgx

@jrmgx said:

Thank you very much for this article
    At some point you're talking about plugin Ableton and Glitch Clip
    see a video here:
    It makes it more easy to understand

@Gravitas @iOSTRAKON
    I'm looking for a way to use full videos instead of "clips"
    but as I wrote on the technical note above, the clips form factor comes mostly for performance reason as I want the app to be able to be played live without any lag.
    Still I may have an idea for a good compromise
    It will need some time before I can implement it (not so easy to do)

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    Cool, I hear ya. I found a way to experiment to add some texture to my vids. Had fun with it last night and looking forward to see what you add to it. Great work @jrmgx

You can show me what you've done with it, I like to have real use cases so I can focus on what is used.
    If you prefer you can send me a PM