Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to control Audio Unit settings using an external MIDI controller?

Hello

I'm using the Group the Loop app (GTL) to loop both my voice and my acoustic guitar (I have an external Zoom U-44 audio interface to have multiple inputs available).

While I can load Audio Units inside GTL, I can't change their settings using MIDI (see Is there a way to control fx? on the GTL forums). That's a pity, because I want to change the preset of Tonebridge between recording loops.

I have bought both Audiobus and AUM. I see that there are tons of MIDI settings available, and I know how to load Tonebridge as Audio Unit into Audiobus and send its output to GTL. But I can't figure out so far how to assign a MIDI control to a specific setting in Tonebridge (which is running inside Audiobus, as described). It would be great to have a single key on my MIDI controller for each desired Tonebridge setting, so I can quickly and easily switch between them with a single key press.

(I'm not sure whether it's relevant, but I have both a Korg nanoKEY2 and a Korg nanoKontrol2 available. I'd love to set the keys of the nanoKEY2 to different Tonebridge settings, like setting the C note to "Pink Floyd - Wish you were here" setting, D to "U2 - One", E to "Dolly Parton - Jolene", etc. I want to buy a foot controller some day soon, probably the iRig Blueboard, so I can control it even easier by foot.)

Thanks a lot for help.

Comments

• You can’t use midi pedal control in the Tonebridge AU, but you can do it when using the non AU version in Audiobus. The AU is limited anyway in the presets it can access.

In the Tonebridge standalone/Audiobus App you can find the midi assignment page by scrolling down to the bottom of the 'featured' tab (a very non-intuitive place), there you'll find 'External Pedal Interface' (ignore Airturn unless you have one).

I'm not sure if you can use note messages, my controller is sending CC's, but I'm sure you can get your Korg Nanos to send CC's if needed?

I don't know if the Irig blueboard works, I know in the past it didn't for Tonebridge, that may well have been fixed. Personally, I use an ActitioN 4 button USB midi footswitch (on eBay UK, from Hungary), connected by bluetooth with a Yamaha UD-BT01 dongle and a USB battery. Works very well for guitar FX and GTL/Loopy control.

You'll need to connect to any bluetooth midi device using another app like midimittr as Tonebridge doesn't offer it. Or do it in Audiobus/Aum, it doesn't matter where, once your device is connected all other Apps will see it as a midi input. Then midi learn in Tonebridge and you can switch between presets.

• edited January 2020

You can load Tonebridge as AU inside AUM or Audiobus and control a limited number of parameters with MIDI. The parameters available are the ones exposed by Tonebridge to the Host.

In AUM, tap on CHAN x at the bottom of the channel, then tap on the small faders icon, and then scroll down to Tonebridge section

In Audiobus 3, tap the MIDI connector icon at the bottom, then tap on Tonebridge app, and select Adjust Parameter

• I had a similar problem yesterday just with different software. I wanted to control Turnado inside NS2 via Bluetooth MIDI (nanokey studio), but the MIDI learn wouldn’t work. I have no problem configuring it in AUM. I also double checked if the Turnado MIDI instance was loaded, which it was.
    Maybe one of you friendly people could explain the procedure for me?

• Thanks guys, I will try what you suggested and report back soon.

• @Artvarg said:
    I had a similar problem yesterday just with different software. I wanted to control Turnado inside NS2 via Bluetooth MIDI (nanokey studio), but the MIDI learn wouldn’t work. I have no problem configuring it in AUM. I also double checked if the Turnado MIDI instance was loaded, which it was.
    Maybe one of you friendly people could explain the procedure for me?

NS2 doesn’t let effects receive midi. I think it’s only effects. But someone routed notes to Turnado to do changes. Nothing extensive though. I think the NS2 forums would be a better source for that info.