Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SECTOR Video, Getting Started and Tutorial

This is such a cool app, and once you get your head round how it works you'll be able to make even the most ordinary beat or loop sound spectacular.

Comments

• The snare rushes you get into around the 13 min mark made me go listen to "Blue Monday", which is awesome.

This is one of your best demos, imo

• very good review, thanks a lot.

I think it's not an app for me personally, but it is a really interesting and well done app. Congratulations to Kymatica. I'm sure it will be well received by DJ's after the MIDI sync update.

• edited March 2014

• Its not just for beats either, one of the presets is just a four note bass guitar loop and that sounds awsome, I'll probable do another one concentrating on none rhythmic elements such as voice and maybe guitar, I think that would be interesting.

• Very original and well thought-out interface, and it's beautiful as well!

Is it possible to have two or more 'Maps' playing at the same time, say, one a drum loop, the other a bass loop and a third, maybe more sequenced melody line? And a fourth, perhaps aimed at interactive performance/soloing, on top?

• edited February 2014

I had doubts about whether this was my kind of thing because I'm not into the glitchy stuff but the step sequencer is very cool and with the added probability stuff thrown in it's great! You don't even have to use the warp at all. The integration with AudioShare makes it so easy to import a clip and immediately start having fun.

I can see using it a lot for melodic things that have good attack like guitars. As long as you're playing rhythmically in a way that Sector can chop up the audio evenly it should work. I'm going to record playing scales in rhythm on my favorite synths which should work great too.

Excellent work Jonatan!!!

• Thank you very much for the video!Very useful. However I didn't understood if a sector can have 4 effects simultaneously on warp ,or just one based on probability.

• edited February 2014

pretty sure it's one effect that would change based on probability

love this app, the promo reminded me of Autechre's "Gantz Graf", was an instant purchase

• edited March 2014

• @Korakios said:

Thank you very much for the video!Very useful. However I didn't understood if a sector can have 4 effects simultaneously on warp ,or just one based on probability.

Yea One at a time, which one of the four that kicks in is based on the probability settings.

• Thanks for the video Doug! And big thanks to the great support from the iOS music community, the launch has been over expectations! Really happy about it :)

Here's a nice example by Olkin Donder, of more melodic ambient stuff made with SECTOR and AUFX:Space:

• Top Review Doug I video paints a 1000 words in how to use. Top app Jonatan a new instrument in the making.

• Thanks Doug. Feels like I finally understand this app and how I could use it.

• Fantastic video Doug! Really helped to understand how to use it Thanks!

• You guys have no idea how good that makes me feel, and thanks to Jonaton for making truly stunning and at the same time extremely useful instrument. His apps are always easy to make a video for.

• Great video Doug. Is it uploaded to YouTube yet?

• Doug to the rescue ! :)
    Thanks for the vid, was having a bit of difficulty getting my head around this one ( i blame the old age ), great to see all the functions explained.

• This one helped me get going too. You da man Doug!

• edited February 2014

I get it now, got it now! Thanks Doug!

• I bought Sector now too, although that was a rather hypothetical purchase. The demo/performance videos I've watched didn't convince me musically at all, but I'm just guessing Sector could be used in a different, and also non-rhythmic way.

I imagine to load speech and real instrument samples and use the splicing and probability features. Also, the announcement of real-time recording into Sector via IAA makes me think this could be used in a live performance situation. And of course the synchronisation with a running DAW project (MIDI clock announcement) could be a good addition in the studio and live.

I think I can do many of this in Yellofier, but somehow I'm just more attracted to this indeed beautiful circular GUI of Sector. The probability factor is something Yellofier cannot do, and Sector is not expensive. So I finally bought it, after thinking much too much about it, haha.

Sector reminds me of those crazy Reaktor ensembles which I enjoy controlling with Lemur and iPad. Most of the stuff is rather unusable for me musically, but it's so tempting and fun, and thinking about syncing Reaktor with Sector, or two iPads running Sector, it has become impossible to resist.

• edited February 2014

hell, just after playing for a minute I see there is lots of potential in this app. I love the BPM change option (why was this not shown in any demo video?) and the triggers already, and this nice probability factor. Certainly no regret for the purchase.

Kymatica, I think you've landed a big hit with Sector. A dream for DJ's, and an ever lasting experimental field for 'serious' musicians. Thank you.

• Thanks @Phil999! Glad you like it. I agree that I should've shown a broader range of possibilities musically in the demo video.. I guess I just did the kind of crazy glitchy breakbeats that I think are the most fun to make :)
    In the next update it will be even more suitable for more calm material, introducing microfades to remove any clicks between sector-jumps.

• Great app Jonaton, thanks for your work - still enjoying the process of getting to grips with it but I can hear it being really useful for the live stuff we do. A method for 'de-clicking' the cuts would be most welcome. If I can somehow hook this up with Samplr, I may never come back out !

• Samplr seems to sync perfectly well with my local copy of SECTOR (sending midi clock).

• Can Sector sync with Loopy somehow?

• Yes, when the update comes, Loopy can sync to SECTOR just fine.

• The app, as mentioned already, is awesome but one of my favorite things is the animation of it from the lines flashing to the semi-circle part of each sector that hits where it's set then slowly falls to the center...pure awesome

• Thanks, I spent quite some time working on the animations and UI :) Not only because it looks nice, but it also helps in understanding what happens.

• It was time well spent.