Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BM3 current state

Hi!
I bought BM3 2018 and I made some beats with it. I enjoyed playing with it. The problem back then was it crashed constantly for me. So I gave up and went back to my old workhorse Cubasis. What is your opinion about BM3's current state, is it more stable now? Is it worth investing time in it now?
Thanks

Comments

• edited January 2020

Definitely more stable since the November 2019 update and iOS13.

Use with confidence and without fear (unless you're one of those users who enjoys pushing the absolute limits of your iPad's CPU and RAM capacity -- in which case, save often)

• @tk32 thanks, I mostly do simple stuff so no pushing to any limits with the ipad.

Are there any common ”user mistakes” that makes the app crash so I know what to avoid?

• edited January 2020

If you ask me... loading or unloading plugins during playback can sometimes end in disaster.

..and if you do a huge stack of successive trims (20-30?) to a large sample without saving it out to a new WAV file you can sometimes force a crash. My theory is that there may be some kind of memory leak.

Other than that, I don't think there are any particular things to avoid.

Have fun :+1:

• I used BM3 yesterday after a bit of a hiatus. I never had a ton of crashes previously but saw some of the ones that tk32 mentions from time to time. That said, yesterday, no crashes at all. Smooth sailing....

• @tk32 said:
    If you ask me... loading or unloading plugins during playback can sometimes end in disaster.

..and if you do a huge stack of successive trims (20-30?) to a large sample without saving it out to a new WAV file you can sometimes force a crash. My theory is that there may be some kind of memory leak.

Other than that, I don't think there are any particular things to avoid.

For me 64+ slices has been the danger zone.

I actually find myself having to relax and loosen up more while using BM3 now. The days of anticipating a crash at any minute are over but I sense there is still a residual creative angst that lingers in my process because of the old days.

• Thanks a lot for all tips on avoiding crashes

• Decided to load up BM3 again after a long break
    I bought a couple of the IAPs during the sale
    BM3 crashed directly after downloading
    Not a good start lol!

• @ruggedsmooth said:
    Decided to load up BM3 again after a long break
    Not a good start lol!

Its just trying to show dominance. Do not defer your alpha status and always maintain a calm-assertive stance. It is up to you to set rules, boundaries and limitations. Do not try to force affection.

• @ruggedsmooth said:
    Not a good start lol!

I wonder if you need to back up your projects and then reinstall.

I am new to BM3 and using it hours per day with very few crashes (two in 9 days). If your are getting crashes just launching it, I wonder if there might be a corrupted file related to its startup settings that might be fixed with a reinstall.

• Yeah, App was working pretty smooth then only started acting up directly after I downloaded some IAPs and tried to use them. I just found it funny at first!
    Not unheard of to have some issues after downloading. Need to do more testing probably works fine after a restart.

• @AudioGus said:

@ruggedsmooth said:
    Not a good start lol!

Its just trying to show dominance. Do not defer your alpha status and always maintain a calm-assertive stance. It is up to you to set rules, boundaries and limitations. Do not try to force affection.

Thanks for the laugh. Good one.

• @tk32 said:
    Definitely more stable since the November 2019 update and iOS13.

Use with confidence and without fear (unless you're one of those users who enjoys pushing the absolute limits of your iPad's CPU and RAM capacity -- in which case, save often)

So...umm...uh...what’s the state of the BM3 manual? ;)

• @eyesunderground said:

So...umm...uh...what’s the state of the BM3 manual? ;)

Riddled with bugs and memory leaks.

But the doctor says the patient will make a good recovery soon.

• I bought it last week and already made it crash 10 minutes into a session via automation.

• It’s been good for me for sure! Unloading or loading auv3 FX during playback surely will crash but I have trained myself to pinky that save after every change. i dont even think about it anymore.

ive been on BM3 since launch day and have experienced a bevy of crashes at every iteration, but its still the best at what it does. I like the drum loops I cook with BM3 better than the ones I can cook on ableton. Swing is the sexiest funkiest swing out there, roll pad (note repeat) is crucial for bouncy hi hats, and the package as a whole is crucial for my work.

There have been times I have almost thrown in the towel, but this last update has my faith firmly restored. If you are not a big hip hop person there might be better experiences out there for you, but from boom bap to trap BM3 is .... kang.

• @Gaia.Tree said:
    It’s been good for me for sure! Unloading or loading auv3 FX during playback surely will crash but I have trained myself to pinky that save after every change. i dont even think about it anymore.

ive been on BM3 since launch day and have experienced a bevy of crashes at every iteration, but its still the best at what it does. I like the drum loops I cook with BM3 better than the ones I can cook on ableton. Swing is the sexiest funkiest swing out there, roll pad (note repeat) is crucial for bouncy hi hats, and the package as a whole is crucial for my work.

There have been times I have almost thrown in the towel, but this last update has my faith firmly restored. If you are not a big hip hop person there might be better experiences out there for you, but from boom bap to trap BM3 is .... kang.

What he said!!!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The IAP sales come around every couple of months @BCKeys

Here's hoping my recent lies to Intua about 'Black February' don't get rumbled. >:)

I don't control the sales, but there's nothing wrong with a little white lie, right?

• @tk32 said:
    The IAP sales come around every couple of months @BCKeys

Here's hoping my recent lies to Intua about 'Black February' don't get rumbled. >:)

I don't control the sales, but there's nothing wrong with a little white lie, right?

WE WAIT BLIND FOR THE BOOKIE WOOK.

• I’ve been using it for months with only one crash. In hours used: crashes it’s better than GarageBand for me.

I only use AU, and external devices. No IAA. Maybe that helps.

• BM3 has crashed when using Galileo 2
    (instantiate problems when reloading a session)
    and if I remove an app that is IAA
    on the fly then the audio crackles.
    Other than that rock solid.
    I have now written 151 sessions and 1 template.
    It is my sampler of choice,
    it is the main reason why I recommend it.

As I've mentioned in another thread
    I'm getting a machine dedicated to it.

• I've had a love/hate relationship with it. I was using an Ipad Mini 2 and it was starting to kill me even with the latest BM3 update. I could barely load any AU3 without crackling audio, constant crashes and the interface always lagged on me so it was unusable. I tried NS2 which was better but lacks the obvious with audio support and it has it's own problems handling a lot of AU3 plugins. I got a new iPad (current gen with A10 so nothing too fancy) and have gone back to BM3 and it's night and day better with the newer ipad compared to old. The jump from A7 chip to A10 fusion has fixed all of the interface lag , crackling audio and crashes.

• @rms13 said:
    I've had a love/hate relationship with it. I was using an Ipad Mini 2 and it was starting to kill me even with the latest BM3 update. I could barely load any AU3 without crackling audio, constant crashes and the interface always lagged on me so it was unusable. I tried NS2 which was better but lacks the obvious with audio support and it has it's own problems handling a lot of AU3 plugins. I got a new iPad (current gen with A10 so nothing too fancy) and have gone back to BM3 and it's night and day better with the newer ipad compared to old. The jump from A7 chip to A10 fusion has fixed all of the interface lag , crackling audio and crashes.

Aslo to note, I do use AU plug ins to make all of my loops but I generally load one plug in at a time and then record audio into my timeline to make audio loops and then I'll move on to the next. So I have one instrument at a time loaded at the most. Once I'm on to arranging and mixing I have no instruments but I will have 10+ AU effects loaded. Mostly Pro

• @animalelder said:
    I bought it last week and already made it crash 10 minutes into a session via automation.

What were you attempting to automate and which iPad and iOS version?

• @tk32 said:
    Riddled with bugs and memory leaks.

But the doctor says the patient will make a good recovery soon.

All good. We appreciate you. 👍

• I get crashes occasionally but I’m on an Air 1 still. I just got myself in the habit of hitting save pretty frequently cos I’ve lost a few things I really wasn’t wanting to lose

• @philowerx said:

@animalelder said:
    I bought it last week and already made it crash 10 minutes into a session via automation.

What were you attempting to automate and which iPad and iOS version?

I see you were in the forum since I asked, what’s your response?