Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Seekbeats goes Universal with ipad interface and midi sync.

Comments

• Yes!!!! Great news!!!!

• With a price hike to $7.99

• edited February 2014

Amazing sounding drum synth. Capable of producing a pretty vast palette of drum sounds (and other sounds too obviously). Also got a great sound randomization tool to get some new sounds going without messing around with all the parameters. This and Impactor are probably the most versatile and powerful drum synths on iOS right now.

It gots clock sync out/in now, so works great with stuff like Effectrix.

• edited February 2014

Whoever owes it can you confirm that midi sync actually works or is it the usual ios midi mess? Otherwise I'll just stick with ielectribe.

• Wow. Another February surprise! Love this app.

• @supadom said:

Whoever owes it can you confirm that midi sync actually works or is it the usual ios midi mess? Otherwise I'll just stick with ielectribe.

It sync'd with BM2 as master when running SeekBeats Virtual In, not when picking BM2 as sync source.

Couple other issues:

1. It hiccups badly when (at least I think this is the problem) flipped and the position changes. (only tested on my phone so far)

2. Doesn't respond to transport controls (sync master start commands work, but not stop/continue)

also the sync was like .1 bpm off, hoping this all gets sorted soon, seekbeats is my favorite drum app

• Stop and start works with Effectrix. No hiccups or anything when flipping the iPad around here.

• @ChrisG thanks for the heads up. Seekbeats into Effectrix in sync, no mess. Brill.

• No hiccups when flipping the iPhone around either (while syncing SeekBeats on the iPhone over WIFI network to Effctrix). Not the tightest sync there, but that's more down the network config then the apps so..

• k, got away from my desk from a minute and tested it a bit more in-depth, and good news!

1. The hiccups didn't occur on any iphone/ipad flips upon further testing. There was a slight hiccup when switching apps, although it was caused by double-clicking/switching apps that way, so I'm not marking that down to the app.

2. I got the sync to work fine on both iphone/ipad with BM2 after further tests, but transport controls are still iffy. BM2's play would start SeekBeats the first time, same with stop, but no continue option, and I couldn't get BM2 to remote start Seekbeats again if I stopped both.

It only seemed to work for me when I had both the "MIDI Sync" and "MIDI Network" buttons highlighted, and choosing "Virtual In" (I've only tried SeekBeats as a slave signal, not a master clock)

• Got it! Midi side is a little random. It took some app restarting to get things moving but the timing is spot on with bm2. Also tried effectrix and it is pretty much plug and play.

I am a little suspicious about the sound quality. I am enjoying apps design and great workflow but I feel the overall sound gets a bit muddy/pasty. It definitely sounds less clear than ielectribe. When put through effectrix gets muddier still. Could be the waveforms, or maybe I'm just missing the point of glitch. Mind you good minimal techno records are super clean. Or maybe I should go easy on the randomizer ;)

• Heeeey, it syncs (slaves) real well with xynthesizer!

• @supadom said:

Got it! Midi side is a little random. It took some app restarting to get things moving but the timing is spot on with bm2. Also tried effectrix and it is pretty much plug and play.

I am a little suspicious about the sound quality. I am enjoying apps design and great workflow but I feel the overall sound gets a bit muddy/pasty. It definitely sounds less clear than ielectribe. When put through effectrix gets muddier still. Could be the waveforms, or maybe I'm just missing the point of glitch. Mind you good minimal techno records are super clean. Or maybe I should go easy on the randomizer ;)

I'm actually kinda with ya on this blush...really do love this app (something about the layout/sequencer that is very inviting to me, and the actual controls over the sounds are wonderful, plus the randomizer is addicting), but when I record audio from it, it does come out somewhat flat. It kinda defeats the purpose to record separate sounds out of it and clean them up.

• I hadn't noticed a flatness, but then I haven't been using it in anger. What do you do to clean it up?

• The one time I did that, I used Audio Mastering. Seekbeats is way too cool a sequencer and the randomizer's too useful to be used in such a way, hehe

• @supadom said:

Heeeey, it syncs (slaves) real well with xynthesizer!

Is precisely what I aim to do tonight.

• edited February 2014

Ok. Things are sweet midi-wise, I think. Just jammed with xynth controlling isem alongside seekbeats through turnado into mt daw. All in sync with not even a microjump/glitch when switching between apps. Seekbeats was controlling the start and stop of the whole circus. I did it all on iPads screen which makes me believe that when I connect my mpk mini things are gonna get serious! :)

But man, isem syncing with other apps, things running without hiccups? I feel like picking a forbidden fruit from a forbidden tree. I'm welling up....

Here it is. Sorry things got a bit hot (not the sound quality I was talking about earlier) at times and isems delay went its own way at some point. The track got spat out by soundcloud because it apparently sounds like basement jaxx 'abandon me' crookers mix. Losers!

After 4 attempts and being told that this track belongs to 3 different entities here it is

• The update page says this update requires iPad 3 or higher.

• edited February 2014

All AB apps says that t seems. I think it stems from the AB guys wanting the 1GB RAM (and spend less time on support). CPU wise, iPad 3 is exactly the same as iPad 2.

• Hey SeekBeats developer here! Thanks for all the feedback been reading it all!

Just wanted to comment quickly that I haven't tested it on an iPad 2 yet so that's why it says iPad 3 minimum, but as soon as I confirm that it can be played on an iPad 2 with no problems I will change the text to iPad 2 minimum (the previous "iPhone only" version worked well on iPad 2)

thanks all for writing about SeekBeats!

• Thanks @rugoso this latest update with midi sync,has turned this great sounding fun drum synth into a serious workhorse,that will be getting a lot of use in my productions.

• @rugoso Seekbeats works flawlessly on my ipad 2 IOS 7. Thanks for update.

• @Multitouch said:

Thanks @rugoso this latest update with midi sync,has turned this great sounding fun drum synth into a serious workhorse,that will be getting a lot of use in my productions.

It is surprising how many developers have midi sync as low priority feature. For me it goes

1. Sound

2. Midi implementation

3. Audiobus

4. Looks (just kidding)

• @mgmg4871 have already changed the description, thanks for the info!!

@supadom I can't talk for other developers, but in my case, the thing is making the whole app already takes a lot of time without midi, so it's better to put it out like that to start getting real feedback from real users, and at the same time work on midi ... although I'm pretty sure next one I'll be a lot more prepared to add midi, so maybe it will be easier to launch it with some midi implementation

• For me the things I would really like are:

• change patterns at the end of the pattern (can this be configurable), rather than immediately when I press a pattern button.
    • The ability to do other time signatures, and triplets.

But this is still a great app.

• In this case @rugoso I fully understand. You've created something special. Saying that, midi implementation makes it even more special.
    I couldn't find a manual to check this but...is there a tap tempo anywhere? I couldn't find it.

• @supadom, nop, no tap tempo for now, should be easy to implement though, probably next update :)

@cian yes some (or all) of those things are coming, future updates

• @rugoso said:

... already takes a lot of time without midi, so it's better to put it out like that to start getting real feedback from real users, and at the same time work on midi ...

This.

Great app, great update.

• @rugoso why there is not a play button on Pad mode?

Sontimes I begin to record a patter on this page and no transport here :-(

• one thing that I don't think was me tioned, I really like the new layout on the iphone, having the side menu fully visible and not overlapping the sequencer steps made me smile