Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Casio PXS3000 / Super Entry Level Keyboard Controller

edited December 2019 in Other

This keyboard, in the Casio Privia line, came in Best In Show at NAMM 2019, and, IMO, justifiably so.

Lots of users are down on Casio because of its toylike past and because of the lack of first rate tones. However, the PXS3000 I just got is anything but toylike. It is an elegant, playable and fully featured piano based entry level keyboard and MIDI controller (the 3000 is $799, the less featured but equally midi useful 1000 is an amazing $599). And here’s why...

1/ for me it is a really playable action. Kind of a cross between an acoustic simulation and a synth action. Serious pianists probably won’t like it as being too light, but there are vids of some jazz masters playing the shit out of it. A more acoustic like action, even in expensive keyboards like the Kawai MP11se or the Roland RD2000 go more in an acoustic direction, but it is that very attempt to replicate a real piano experience that always falls short. Better not to try at all and aim toward something that expresses what the keyboard actually is... which I think these two Casios do extremely well (same action on both).

2/ the 1000 does not have pitch bend, mod wheels or other midi controller features. But the 3000 has an assignable pitch bend wheel and two knob controllers... which is all the controller function I need for what I do. Just those features got me to cough up the extra $200 for the 3000.

3/ it is the slimmest, lightest and shortest dp on the market. The height And depth are notable for using with a desktop rig. It is a mere four inches high and nine inches deep! Weighing under 25 lbs and with its custom carrying bag is ultra portable. More so cause it will run for four hours on six double AA batteries. No other keyboard like this will do that.

4/ it’s onboard speakers, though not powerful, do an excellent job for gear in this price range.

5/ the piano sounds are excellent (tho I use iOS Ravenscroft mostly) and has extensive editable keyboard action noises and string and damper resonance. This is a feature much touted in high end models such as the Kawai MP11se, and nowhere to be found in slabs under $1000.

6/ it is Bluetooth connectable, tho not Bluetooth midi, which is a shame.

7/ it is a rather good arranger keyboard with acceptable rhythms, accompaniments, arpeggiator and auto harmonize ( not really my bag but I still have fun with it). Three track recorder and full layers and splits with adjustable part volume (which can be assigned to an expression pedal.

8/ it has an optional three pedal unit which is also assignable to keyboard functions. ($99)

9/ It has L and R 1/4” outs and a 1/8” audio in as well as USB B and A(?) for a flash drive.

10/ there is the free Chordana app for controlling most of the functions and midi connectivity of the board, as well as score PDFs. (It also has a high midi resolution setting that reads over 16,000 whatchamacallits.)

11/ the reverbs and dsps are quite extensive and editable.

12/ it is touch based with only a volume wheel and on off to mar the elegant and fingerprint prone black control surface.

13/ it has two, front mounted 1/8” headphone jacks. I would recommend an inexpensive hp amp to boost the signal which is a tad too soft for me.

14/ the iOS connectivity is smooth and flawless so far.

15/ there are 700 onboard tones and while many are less than great, the EPS are pretty solid as well as pianos, vibes, basses and synths. The acoustics fall short, but that is the case even in many much more expensive slabs. Also 200 rhythms from all genres.

16/ scale adjustment for Mideast and oriental tunings.

There is more, but you get the gist. This is an ideal board for me. Superior, in some ways, to the three fold more expensive Kawai I had in Istanbul. I recommend it with five stars re price to anyone looking for a more than decent digital piano that also will function as a controller. And, if you have a small midi controller with pitch and mod you can easily buy the cheaper 1000 and feel like you really scored. I should add that I had purchased the Roland FP10 originally ($499) and it did absolutely nothing for me as a playing experience. The action was clunky and uninspiring, the features limited). But I look forward to sitting down at the Casio.

Contact Nate Hutson at SweetWater for excellent info and advice. He was great to deal with and even absorbed the cost of two returns.

Comments

• Awesome... new digs, new location and a new keyboard. I love it when a plan comes together.

• Congrats, LL!

Looks like Sweetwater has a nice demo video on it.

• Thanks, McD. Four months without playing. Will take some time to get it back (I hope).
    Thanks for posting the vid @Lady_App_titude.
    Anyone else have one of these?

• @LinearLineman said:
    Thanks, McD. Four months without playing. Will take some time to get it back (I hope).

I remember how surprised I was when I played that one on a music fair for the first time, about both the keyboard action and the built-in sounds.
    Enjoy it and have a creative 2020!

• edited January 2020

It looks quite good, not sure about the speakears on the rear...specially if you place the keyboard against a wall.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Thanks, McD. Four months without playing. Will take some time to get it back (I hope).

You’ll get it back! Congrats on the new board and I’m looking forward to what you will come up with in your new space stateside. Happy New Year Mike!

• @LinearLineman said:
    This keyboard, in the Casio Privia line, came in Best In Show at NAMM 2019, and, IMO, justifiably so.

I love my Casio PX-560. I got a chance to play the newer models and thy are great keypads.
    Maybe better than the PX-560 to a seasoned pianist. I can't feel the improvements with my clumsy technique. All the weighted keys and starting to hurt. Probably due to the crazy time using my MacBook and iPhone for reading/writing.

I got excited and almost picked up an Arturia 49 key controller to get those organ sliders
    for use with B-3X. But I showed good judgement and held back. I have a lot of light weight
    controllers and can use the iPad screen. It's not like I'm playing gigs so I started looking at new Guitars... a Guitar teacher slipped me a clue. "You have the right guitars. You need to work on your hands." Ouch.

Step away from the keyboard, fool. Let your hands heal. Take long walks. Breathe. Yoga or Tai Chi.

• @McD said:
    Awesome... new digs, new location and a new keyboard. I love it when a plan comes together.

• The AB Team