Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Good book for the music theory illiterate

I have dabbled in music most of my life and have a rudimentary knowledge of music theory but mostly self taught and I have been wanting to learn more for quite a while. I was looking for an accessible book to music theory and stumbled upon this https://janthonyallen.com/ - Music Theory for Electronic Music Producers. I recommend it, especially if, like me, you find that reading notes on a stave makes your head spin. It illustrates the theory using the MIDI piano roll which removes that barrier. It’s helped me to fill in some holes, connect the dots and understand the basic things which I knew as abstractions but couldn’t really use.
I would also recommend this app - waay - for a clear explanation of the basics and practice with scales, circle of fifths etc https://apps.apple.com/es/app/waay-learn-music-theory/id974357313?l=en

Reading back over my post I realise I sound like a robot. I’m not! Fear not, humans!

Comments

• Thanks for the links. I’m okay with music theory, being a brass player, but using your ears and musical imagination can’t be beaten (i.e being able to play what you hear in your head). Good luck with your studies!

• He has a LOT of courses on Udemy, too.

Here’s a link for the full bundle of that course for $10.
    https://www.udemy.com/course/music-theory-for-electronic-music-complete-parts-1-2-3/?couponCode=5A37C7A9E5EF59A7DFC8

Or the first three sections of his full music theory program.
    https://www.udemy.com/course/music-theory-complete/?couponCode=BD93F3788DEAB80D7502

• schsch
    edited January 2020

Beware the https://janthonyallen.com/ - Music Theory for Electronic Music Producers link...

I went to this website and ordered a PDF using the link on this page, paid for it via PayPal, got my receipt for a completed transaction, then received a download link from the author. Unfortunately, it leads to a dead site with an "Internal Server Error" screen.

I've tried to reach the author using the embedded addresses in the emails, but no joy! All other pages besides the Home page on his site produce the same error messages. I'm currently trying to reach him via FB. Will update this if it is resolved.

**UPDATE: as per the author’s post below, this has been satisfactorily resolved. **

• @Liquidmantis thanks or links

@sch said:

Beware the https://janthonyallen.com/ - Music Theory for Electronic Music Producers link...

I went to this website and ordered a PDF using the link on this page, paid for it via PayPal, got my receipt for a completed transaction, then received a download link from the author. Unfortunately, it leads to a dead site with an "Internal Server Error" screen.

I've tried to reach the author using the embedded addresses in the emails, but no joy! All other pages besides the Home page on his site produce the same error messages. I'm currently trying to reach him via FB. Will update this if it is resolved.

Sorry, to hear you’re having trouble. Keep us posted. I got it via the amazon kindle app.

• @Jhnk said:

Sorry, to hear you’re having trouble. Keep us posted. I got it via the amazon kindle app.

Yeah, not Kindle fan, so I try to do everything in iBooks.

• I bought the PDF book this morning and got the Internal Server Error and no PDF.

I contacted Mr. Allen (the Author) via email and he just sent me a direct working link to the PDF download. He asked for me so send a copy of the non working link, which I did.

I am sure it is just some wordpress glitch that will be worked out

• schsch
    edited January 2020

@ralis said:
    I bought the PDF book this morning and got the Internal Server Error and no PDF.

I contacted Mr. Allen (the Author) via email and he just sent me a direct working link to the PDF download. He asked for me so send a copy of the non working link, which I did.

Any chance you can PM me his email... I was unable to find one on his webpage, and have heard nothing back from my Messenger inquiry.

• @sch said:

@ralis said:
    I bought the PDF book this morning and got the Internal Server Error and no PDF.

Any chance you can PM me his email... I was unable to find one on his webpage, and have heard nothing back from my Messenger inquiry.

I’m currently taking one of his courses on udemy, he’s super responsive there. I’m pretty sure he will resolve this asap.

• On YouTube Rick Beato is a really good teacher . He as 166 video on theory.

He also as a PDF book he sells. But I have not bought it.

• Hi Everyone - My name is J. Anthony Allen, and I am the author of the book you are talking about.

First off: Thanks for sharing info about it. I'm really happy with how the book turned out, and the response to it has been really great.

Second: Some of you have commented on the PDF purchase system being broken on my website. I believe I fixed that today, so it should be all working again. I also believe that everyone who has purchased the book through that link got the PDF (either through the website or through an email). If you didn't, please let me know ASAP.

In response to a few of the posts here:

@sch : I originally had the book on Kindle and on iBooks, but Kindle requires that if they carry a book on that platform, it can not be available on any competing product. And at the time, I was making waaay more on Kindle than on iBooks, so I had to take it down fom iBooks. It's an Amazon monopoly, but thats the way it goes, unfortunately.

As for the online classes, yes, the "Music Theory for Electronic Music Producers" (available on Udemy, or on punkademic.com) is basically the same content as the book. The book as some newer example analysis pieces in it that the course doesn't. But it is mostly the same stuff.

You can also get a print copy of the book from Amazon. I really love the print copy - I spent a lot of time with a designer getting it just right. But because it is an Amazon print-on-demand title, it is suuuuuper expensive (around $50. But there is a black-and-white version on Amazon for only about $25).

The place to buy it in which I get the most money directly is the PDF directly from my website.

Thats all - just wanted to chime and thank you all for discussing the book, and for those of you that have purchased it. Please tell your friends!

All best -
    j.

• edited January 2020

@janthonyallen said:

The place to buy it in which I get the most money directly is the PDF directly from my website.

I just followed the links and can attest that a $1 purchase through the website does yield a PDF book.

Price is a bit low, but assumed a holiday special (or a glitch) ... however, would not be surprised to find out that a $1 PDF through your website yields more net profit than a $24.99 kindle book through Amazon.

• Oops! I changed the price to $1 while I was testing it, and forgot to change it back!
    It looks like it's your lucky day! (and 3 other people).

The PDF is once again $15.
    j.

• That's what I call a fabulous New Years Day flash sale. :)