Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Does a simple Audio Player app exist in which I can randomly play my own files?

Maybe an mp4 player app that can access the files app?

(the simple reason: I read and sleep very well with my own creations of crappy ambient stuff in the background...)

Or do I have to import my own music somehow via iTunes (please no! 😬) to play them in Apples own music app or another mp3/mp4 player?

Or is there a possibility to randomise replay in Audioshare, maybe in a certain folder (that would be sufficient for my needs)?

Any ideas or tips would be highly appreciated.

Happy Christmas to you all!

Comments

• edited December 2019

Doesn't get much simpler than this ("Simple" is the first word in the app description!), but you will have to copy the music into the app's own folder via the Files app.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/musicfolder-2/id1366466861

(sorry for the spam!)

• Most players i know of allow for this.

EQu
    foobar2000
    Evermusic Pro
    Amplifind

anddddd

even Apple Music App has it!

All from the Apple mediathek or how is that thing named.

• @SevenSystems said:
    Doesn't get much simpler than this ("Simple" is the first word in the app description!), but you will have to copy the music into the app's own folder via the Files app.

(sorry for the spam!)

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for (almost, some kind of EQ inside the app would have been great)!
    Thank you very much!

(Of course, considering my experience with Apple stuff, I was quite sure that it would either be super simple or completely impossible...😬)

• @tja said:
    Most players i know of allow for this.

EQu
    foobar2000
    Evermusic Pro
    Amplifind

anddddd

even Apple Music App has it!

All from the Apple mediathek or how is that thing named.

Thanks a lot!

But: I have EQU on my iPad. But I don't know how to access different folders instead of Apples main music (iTunes?) folder. Maybe I just don't realise something very obvious here?

• JetAudio’s the best. With IAPs you even get excellent and improved sound quality. I have a 120+ GB library, all imported through the Files app. Just look for the “Folder” section.

• @Nighur said:
    JetAudio’s the best. With IAPs you even get excellent and improved sound quality. I have a 120+ GB library, all imported through the Files app. Just look for the “Folder” section.

Thank you! Just tried that with JetAudio. But it doesn't connect me with the files app, but wants me to start a web server. Which doesn't work...

• @LeonKowalski said:

@SevenSystems said:

(sorry for the spam!)

Perfect. Exactly what I was looking for (almost, some kind of EQ inside the app would have been great)!
    Thank you very much!

No problem, thank you for considering it 🙂 yeah I always wanted EQ in it as well, would be a pretty large development effort though... some day! 😇

• @LeonKowalski said:

@Nighur said:
    JetAudio’s the best. With IAPs you even get excellent and improved sound quality. I have a 120+ GB library, all imported through the Files app. Just look for the “Folder” section.

Thank you! Just tried that with JetAudio. But it doesn't connect me with the files app, but wants me to start a web server. Which doesn't work...

Forgot to mention...just Open In an audio file and the JetAudio folder will appear in the Files App. From there, you can copy and paste and create subfolders.

• @Nighur said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@Nighur said:

Forgot to mention...just Open In an audio file and the JetAudio folder will appear in the Files App. From there, you can copy and paste and create subfolders.

Sorry, can you explain that a bit further?

• @SevenSystems said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@SevenSystems said:

(sorry for the spam!)

Thank you very much!

No problem, thank you for considering it 🙂 yeah I always wanted EQ in it as well, would be a pretty large development effort though... some day! 😇

Oh... mega facepalm 🤪 I hadn't even realised that you are the developer... thanks again, i purchased it.👍

• edited December 2019

@LeonKowalski said:

@SevenSystems said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@SevenSystems said:

(sorry for the spam!)

Thank you very much!

Oh... mega facepalm 🤪 I hadn't even realised that you are the developer... thanks again, i purchased it.👍

I would have organized a promo code, but I was away from the office :# let me know if there's any questions.

• wimwim
    edited December 2019

VLC Player is overkill for this, but worth looking at, and does what you want + adds streaming from servers, cloud services, other devices, etc..

I think, but am not sure, that when you select files in AudioShare (via network > icloud, which brings you to the files app), they are played from that location, not copied to the app. I could be wrong on this though.

I like @SevenSystems more simple solution though. B)
    Per my understanding of the Apple file system, "copies" should only be pointers to the original file unless one or the other is changed. So, this copy operation may not affect storage.

• @LeonKowalski said:
    But: I have EQU on my iPad. But I don't know how to access different folders instead of Apples main music (iTunes?) folder. Maybe I just don't realise something very obvious here?

I replied too hasty and did only read "my own files" but not that you need access to the document providers.
    I cannot recommend anything for that, never used this.
    Sorry

• @wim said:
    VLC Player is overkill for this, but worth looking at, and does what you want + adds streaming from servers, cloud services, other devices, etc.

Sometimes I really get a bit frustrated at the software market, i.e. you try to make a few pennies to be able to buy a Pizza, but some odd open-source bloke in his basement has already made the same thing for free :/

• I would use your app for this over VLC any day.

• edited December 2019

@wim said:
    I would use your app for this over VLC any day.

Yes thanks :) But it's still a valid philosophy / economy topic. i.e., does offering something that clearly has value for free distort the market and hurt the economy? I don't know. Maybe I should hide under the (non-existant) Christmas tree :D

• @SevenSystems said:

(sorry for the spam!)

What kind of bribe would it take to have your player be an AU? Could be super awesome to stick at top of AUM channels in a multi-deck DJ kinda setup. There’s nothing that let’s you use multiple files in a stripped down fashion like this.

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@SevenSystems said:

(sorry for the spam!)

What kind of bribe would it take to have your player be an AU? Could be super awesome to stick at top of AUM channels in a multi-deck DJ kinda setup. There’s nothing that let’s you use multiple files in a stripped down fashion like this.

No bribe in the world! I'm kinda doing the opposite thing right now... but there should surely be a simple AU audio file player available?

• edited December 2019

@SevenSystems said:

@wim said:
    VLC Player is overkill for this, but worth looking at, and does what you want + adds streaming from servers, cloud services, other devices, etc.

Sometimes I really get a bit frustrated at the software market, i.e. you try to make a few pennies to be able to buy a Pizza, but some odd open-source bloke in his basement has already made the same thing for free :/

And that‘s why I wouldn‘t even have wanted a promo code. Useful app for a fair price, all good... 👍

• Purchased! Wish I knew this existed sooner!

@SevenSystems said:

(sorry for the spam!)

• @SevenSystems said:

@wim said:
    I would use your app for this over VLC any day.

Yes thanks :) But it's still a valid philosophy / economy topic. i.e., does offering something that clearly has value for free distort the market and hurt the economy? I don't know. Maybe I should hide under the (non-existant) Christmas tree :D

But it cannot access the document providers, or?

Why not add this? :) :) :)

• @anickt said:
    Purchased! Wish I knew this existed sooner!

Thanks, now I REALLY start to feel ashamed 😬 hope you'll find it useful. Let me know any suggestions.

@tja yes I had that in mind too. Would make it easier to use it on multiple devices as I could just have it play from a SMB share.

• @SevenSystems said:

@anickt said:

Thanks, now I REALLY start to feel ashamed 😬 hope you'll find it

@tja yes I had that in mind too. Would make it easier to use it on multiple devices as I could just have it play from a SMB share.

Thanks for the update on this app! I was hoping you would add the feature to play from SMB drive or even from a USB drive in iOS 13 rather than copy files to my device. Is this possible or easy to do?

Thanks!

• @yowza said:

@SevenSystems said:

@anickt said:

Thanks for the update on this app! I was hoping you would add the feature to play from SMB drive or even from a USB drive in iOS 13 rather than copy files to my device. Is this possible or easy to do?

Thanks!

Oh nice to know someone saw the update :) I haven't looked into using other locations for the music library yet, sorry for that... although judging from what I've seen with other similar iOS technologies, it probably won't be totally trivial.

Anyway, this is a maintenance update and maybe the "Recent / Often" stuff is something that comes in useful as well :)

• @SevenSystems For me, SMB support is foundational

• @audiobussy said:
    @SevenSystems For me, SMB support is foundational

I understand, I'd like to have that too. It's sometimes a bit hard to shuffle priorities among "pet projects" though. MusicFolder generates about $20 in sales per month, so it's hard to give it a lot of priority, although it (and its users) would totally deserve it!

• @SevenSystems said:

@yowza said:

@SevenSystems said:

@anickt said:

Thanks!

Oh nice to know someone saw the update :) I haven't looked into using other locations for the music library yet, sorry for that... although judging from what I've seen with other similar iOS technologies, it probably won't be totally trivial.

Anyway, this is a maintenance update and maybe the "Recent / Often" stuff is something that comes in useful as well :)

With access to all document providers / Files App, this would be a diamond :) :) :)
    Say "AudioShare Player", "OneDrive Player", "GoogleDrive Player", ....
    Or even the mediathek...

• @tja I'm not sure -- there's already a lot of feature-laden players in the App Store probably... I like the simplistic elegance of it right now. But yeah, maybe that's ONE little thing that could be added.

Anyway, hope the update is bug-free -- I haven't done as much testing as I'd have liked. Time and mood constraints and all!

• I’m looking for an app just like this, but that can access a folder in iCloud Drive.

I want to listen to mixdowns of my own songs-in-progress, by adding them to an iCloud folder on my Mac. Any ideas?