Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 3 - BUGS (on topic)

Comments

• @papertiger said:
    @LFS apologies if this has already been reported

Summary/Title:
    MIDI start/stop does not work
    The fact that basic functionality, such as MIDI clock, is broken in Cubasis 3 but worked perfectly fine in Cubasis 2 is disheartening. I remain hopeful that these issues will be fixed, hopefully as soon as possible, but they shouldn’t be there in the first place.

MIDI clock was broken in recent Cubasis 2 versions too, it only worked in linear playback mode. Just enable looped playback of a clip and you'll see the timing drift away more and more.
    @LFS: Please make sure the issues are going to be fixed both in Cubasis 2 and Cubasis 3.

• @eross said:

@LFS said:

@eross said:
    add to the list. low quality audio with bluetooth headphones.

Hi @eross,

Thank you for your message.
    We're unable to reproduce this, Bluetooth speakers and headphones works as expected at our end.

Please give these steps a try:
    1 - iPad: Go to the iOS settings and connect your bluetooth device with the iPad
    2 - Launch Cubasis 3
    3 - In Cubasis 3: Go to Setup/Audio and enable "Bluetooth / Air Play"

Please let me know your results.

Best,
    Lars

same results. there is audio but the quality is very bad. If i use another app like Aum, it does just fine with my bluetooth headphones. not sure what the difference is

@eross, open the project settings in Cubasis and then re-select 44.1 or 48 as the audio format. See if this brings the quality back to what you are expecting.

• Hi all,

The upcoming Cubasis 3.0.1 maintenance update makes great progress, and will address several user reported issues.

However, we are unable to reproduce several user reported issues, which you will find below.

If you encounter one or more of these, please support us by letting us know the steps how to reproduce them (using our reporting form below).

Thank you for your support!

Best wishes,
    Lars

List of issues we're unable to reproduce

• Reopen C3 does not reload Rozeta Xox (driving Ruismaker),have to unload and select/open it again. (CBT-1291)

• Freezing a track in real time (tried it with the same combination of Rozeta XoX and Ruismaker)
      results in a glitchfest wavefile. Also reproducible every time. (CBT-1292)

• Midi over Bluetooth it keeps the connection but stops sounds on some occasions.

• Unable to import wav files from AudioShare? (CBT-1302)

• External inputs from audiofuse interface don’t seem to work at all.

• It seems when zooming / panning that Cubasis 3 has issues detecting whether or not clips should be moved.

• Ravenscroft unusable right now, high CPU.

• When using the global mute and solo buttons for tracks the local track mute and solo buttons do not work.

• Freezing an audio track that has an IAA effect doesn’t record that effect.

• Bluetooth audio sample rate mismatch.

Bug Reporting Form

1. Summary/Title
      (Provide a short but descriptive sentence that summaries the issue or feature request)

2. Description
      (Provide a detailed description and list the step by step process to reproduce the issue to help the team to understand and reproduce the problem)

3. Expected Results
      (Describe what you expected to see)

4. Actual Results
      (Describe what you actually saw)

5. Environment
      (Count the hardware and software including version numbers being used)

• FWIW I've not been affected by any of those issues. As far as I'm concerned if everything else has been addressed I'd love you to release 3.0.1 right now!

• edited January 2020

@rs2000 said:

@papertiger said:

Summary/Title:
    The fact that basic functionality, such as MIDI clock, is broken in Cubasis 3 but worked perfectly fine in Cubasis 2 is disheartening. I remain hopeful that these issues will be fixed, hopefully as soon as possible, but they shouldn’t be there in the first place.

MIDI clock was broken in recent Cubasis 2 versions too, it only worked in linear playback mode. Just enable looped playback of a clip and you'll see the timing drift away more and more.
    @LFS: Please make sure the issues are going to be fixed both in Cubasis 2 and Cubasis 3.

MIDI Clock does work in looped playback mode in Cubasis 3, it does for me anyway, the only issue is that the Clock start/stop messages are missing.
    If I start Cubasis 3 playing in looped mode, then manually start my Circuit and or MonoStation...they stay perfectly in time.

@LFS have already said they will fix the start/stop issue.

AFAIK, MIDI Clock in looped playback mode has never worked properly in Cubasis 2, and only works linearly. I wouldn't expect this to be fixed.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@rs2000 said:

@papertiger said:

Summary/Title:

MIDI Clock does work in looped playback mode in Cubasis 3, it does for me anyway, the only issue is that the Clock start/stop messages are missing.
    If I start Cubasis 3 playing in looped mode, then manually start my Circuit and or MonoStation...they stay perfectly in time.

How do you start them in sync? I found this to be close to impossible when done manually (except you're lucky after several tries).

@LFS have already said they will fix the start/stop issue.

AFAIK, MIDI Clock in looped playback mode has never worked properly in Cubasis 2, and only works linearly. I wouldn't expect this to be fixed.

Oh yes, it did work perfectly until around Cubasis v2.0 or v2.1 (I don't remember exactly which version).

• @rs2000 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

How do you start them in sync? I found this to be close to impossible when done manually (except you're lucky after several tries).

By counting and pressing play at the right time....yeah it can take a few goes admittedly....but it shows the clock is stable when looping....start/stop is needed to avoid the 'luck' factor when starting playback :) but they did say they are fixing that.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@rs2000 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

By counting and pressing play at the right time....yeah it can take a few goes admittedly....but it shows the clock is stable when looping....start/stop is needed to avoid the 'luck' factor when starting playback :) but they did say they are fixing that.

Hi @rs2000,

As mentioned before,

CBT-1273
    Cubasis 3 is not sending MIDI Clock start/stop from the transport buttons

will be addressed with the upcoming Cubasis 3.0.1 maintenance update.

Best,
    Lars

• @LFS said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@rs2000 said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Hi @rs2000,

As mentioned before,

CBT-1273
    Cubasis 3 is not sending MIDI Clock start/stop from the transport buttons

will be addressed with the upcoming Cubasis 3.0.1 maintenance update.

Best,
    Lars

Thank you, I've read it before.

My hint was about fixing the duplicate clock message bug with loop enabled in Cubasis 2.
    Please do.
    I don't like the idea of buying a completely new app for having a bug fixed that has been reported by several users loooong ago.

• edited January 2020

@LFS said:

>

• It seems when zooming / panning that Cubasis 3 has issues detecting whether or not clips should be moved.

Hi Lars,

Here is a Cubasis 3 project containing only audio clips that can be used for testing. On my 10.5 Pro it exhibits the above problem. In fact every project I make gets this way very quickly on a few different devices. Very surprised this cannot be reproduced as it seems to just be the way Cubasis 3 is to me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mvxfo4svgvm13k2/Move Clips.zip?dl=0

(A repost of the video I posted with the bug...)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @AudioGus said:

@LFS said:

>

Hi Lars,

Here is a Cubasis 3 project containing only audio clips that can be used for testing. On my 10.5 Pro it exhibits the above problem. In fact every project I make gets this way very quickly on a few different devices. Very surprised this cannot be reproduced as it seems to just be the way Cubasis 3 is to me.

Hi Gus, what are the specs of the iPad your using including ram amount and IOS version?

Chris

• @d4d0ug said:
    @Lars why not release what you’ve made progress on so far and roll the rest into the next release? Is your build / test / release cycle expensive?

Less of a Big Bang approach, more of a dare I say it ‘agile’ development cycle. I don’t know how you’re organised so can’t appreciate what factors stop you doing this.

Maybe you are trying to address as much in one go as you can. Sorry not trying to tell you how to do your job.

+1
    I’m sure there are many others who, like me, are itching to use C3 but waiting until it is more functional.

• edited January 2020

@cloudswimmer said:

@AudioGus said:

@LFS said:

>

Hi Lars,

Hi Gus, what are the specs of the iPad your using including ram amount and IOS version?

Chris

iOS 13.3.1

The 10.5 has 4 gigs of ram. I have the 256gig.

https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_ipad_pro_10_5_(2017)-8716.php

Same page with non-broken vanilla forum link...

https://tinyurl.com/s8wfasl

• edited January 2020

@AudioGus said:

@cloudswimmer said:

@AudioGus said:

@LFS said:

>

Hi Lars,

Chris

iOS 13.3.1

https://tinyurl.com/

Hi Gus,

Thanks for posting your specs. Ok I have the same iPad as yours except mine is a 12.9” with 512gb. I downloaded your example project file into Cubasis 3 and tried it out, the zooming and moving gestures that you demonstrated having trouble with are actually smooth as silk on mine .. and that’s with an AUM project also running at the same time. Have you gone through your iPad settings and optimized everything? We should both be getting the same performance so this is interesting. I’ve gone through my settings and turned everything off that doesn’t absolutely have to be on for my DAW’s and Synth’s to work. That’s the only thing I can think of.

Chris

• how is this that steinberg builds a new version, it's 2020, and it still doesn't have "sidechain'? Sidechain is a must on today's music.

• @cloudswimmer said:

@AudioGus said:

@cloudswimmer said:

@AudioGus said:

@LFS said:

>

Hi Lars,

Chris

iOS 13.3.1

Hi Gus,

Thanks for posting your specs. Ok I have the same iPad as yours except mine is a 12.9” with 512gb. I downloaded your example project file into Cubasis 3 and tried it out, the zooming and moving gestures that you demonstrated having trouble with are actually smooth as silk on mine .. and that’s with an AUM project also running at the same time. Have you gone through your iPad settings and optimized everything? We should both be getting the same performance so this is interesting. I’ve gone through my settings and turned everything off that doesn’t absolutely have to be on for my DAW’s and Synth’s to work. That’s the only thing I can think of.

Chris

What ‘optimizations’ do you recommend?

• @AudioGus said:

@cloudswimmer said:

@AudioGus said:

@cloudswimmer said:

@AudioGus said:

@LFS said:

>

Hi Lars,

Chris

iOS 13.3.1

Hi Gus,

Chris

What ‘optimizations’ do you recommend?

Hi Gus, well what I did was a search on YouTube for optimizing your iPad on IOS 13, and I found a couple videos on the subject and just followed along. Give er a try.

• Summary/Title:
    Synth state saving bug

Description:
    I created two midi tracks, on one I opened up Moog Model D, on the other IK Hammond B-3X, I adjusted parameters in both like glide rate, delay amount, and volume on the Moog, and percussion off, draw bars, and reverb on in the B-3X. I did not record anything .. but closed CB3. I then re-booted CB3 and went to play the synths .. but all the parameters of the synths that I tweaked were gone and the synths stock unaltered patches were back.

Expected Results:
    I expected when I re-opened CB3 and played either synth that the synths parameters I adjusted before last closing CB3 would still be there. In CB2 it saves your AUV3 synth parameters even if you don’t record anything.

Actual Results:
    The only way to get CB3 to save the adjusted parameters of an AUV3 synth (at least Model D and B-3X) is to actually record something into the tracks, then when you re-open CB3 the synths parameters are the same as when you last closed the project .. but this makes it impossible to set up templates with tweaked parameters of your synths like you can with CB2

Environment:
    2nd generation 12.9” iPad Pro 4gb/IOS 13.3

• @papertiger said:
    Summary/Title

Deleting track caused DSP spike, glitched sound, then loss of audio/silence

Description

I encountered this error after deleting a track I had duplicated. The project had two tracks: (1) MV08 hosted on a MIDI track with a switched off Roseta XOX; a MIDI clip; and (2) a MIDI track hosting Tardigrain with a MIDI clip. I duplicated the MV08 track to try running it through another instance of Tardigrain as an effect, didn’t like the sound, and deleted the duplicated track. Upon deleting the track playback stopped, I heard a distorted/glitched sound, and the audio cut out. I started playback and got no sound. I attempted to play tardigrain with the Cubasis 3 keys and heard no sound. I noticed that the DSP readout under System Info in the Inspector flashed the message “silent” a few times and bounced between 0 and 100.

Expected Results

I expected to see the track deleted while playback continued.

Actual Results

Playback stopped and the app no longer produced audio. Even after several minutes the audio was still unresponsive.

Restarting brought the audio back in the affected project.

Environment

iPad Pro 12.9 (3rd gen); iOS 13.3

Hi @papertiger,

Please note that we've exchanged with James Milton regarding the issue, which is related to his MV08 drum machine app.
    James Molton has confirmed the topic, and plans to release a bug fix.

Best wishes,
    Lars

• @LFS said:

@papertiger said:
    Summary/Title

Description

I encountered this error after deleting a track I had duplicated. The project had two tracks: (1) MV08 hosted on a MIDI track with a switched off Roseta XOX; a MIDI clip; and (2) a MIDI track hosting Tardigrain with a MIDI clip. I duplicated the MV08 track to try running it through another instance of Tardigrain as an effect, didn’t like the sound, and deleted the duplicated track. Upon deleting the track playback stopped, I heard a distorted/glitched sound, and the audio cut out. I started playback and got no sound. I attempted to play tardigrain with the Cubasis 3 keys and heard no sound. I noticed that the DSP readout under System Info in the Inspector flashed the message “silent” a few times and bounced between 0 and 100.

Expected Results

Actual Results

Playback stopped and the app no longer produced audio. Even after several minutes the audio was still unresponsive.

Environment

Hi @papertiger,

Please note that we've exchanged with James Milton regarding the issue, which is related to his MV08 drum machine app.

Best wishes,
    Lars

Wow, thanks for the update, @LFS

Glad to hear he’s going to fix it! One step closer to using Cubasis 3, I guess. We’ll see when the maintenance update drops.

Good luck to you and your team!

• @papertiger said:

@LFS said:

@papertiger said:
    Summary/Title

Description

Expected Results

Actual Results

Environment

Hi @papertiger,

Best wishes,
    Lars

Glad to hear he’s going to fix it! One step closer to using Cubasis 3, I guess. We’ll see when the maintenance update drops.

Thanks @papertiger,

Feel free to get in touch via private message, if you like to give the current Cubasis 3.0.1 release candidate a try.
    We hope it will not take too much time from here to go live with it.

Best,
    Lars

• @LFS said:

@papertiger said:

@LFS said:

@papertiger said:
    Summary/Title

Description

Expected Results

Actual Results

Environment

Hi @papertiger,

Best wishes,
    Lars

Thanks @papertiger,

Feel free to get in touch via private message, if you like to give the current Cubasis 3.0.1 release candidate a try.
    We hope it will not take too much time from here to go live with it.

Best,
    Lars

@LFS thank you for the offer but I am at a stage in life where I have very little time for music and I do not want to spend it testing, beta-ing, or solving problems. I’d like to just spend it making music, so here’s to a successful maintenance release!

• @papertiger said:
    @LFS thank you for the offer but I am at a stage in life where I have very little time for music and I do not want to spend it testing, beta-ing, or solving problems. I’d like to just spend it making music, so here’s to a successful maintenance release!

Hi @papertiger,

Fully understood, hope it will not take too long from here...

Best,
    Lars

• Hey @LFS
    Do I need to already have CB3 to beta test the update?

• edited March 2020

@LFS
    Not sure if you’ve seen this one, but you mentioned on another thread not seeing any issues with AUM and I think this might be one:

Pressing a channel record button in AUM crashes the IAA connection to Cubasis

In the AUM window when an AUM channel output is connected to Cubasis via IAA and the record button corresponding to the IAA connection is pressed the Cubasis connection is terminated in AUM.

Description
    I have set up 4 channels in AUM of AUv3 instruments that are being triggered by Fugue Machine and Aphelian. I have opened up Cubasis3 and created 4 audio tracks which I have then connected the AUM channels to. All good at this stage. If I am in the AUM window and I press the record button next to an AUM channel output all of the IAA outputs to Cubasis are lost. This happens if the tracks in Cubasis are armed or if they are not armed. I then have to go through and disconnect the outputs in AUM before I can restart Cubasis.

Expected Results
    In Cubasis 2 if I do this I am able to start the recording process into Cubasis from AUM successfully.

Actual Results
    The IAA outputs disconnect and nothing is recorded. I usually have to restart Cubasis in order to connect the IAA channels again.

Environment
    iPad Pro 9.7 , OS version 13.3.1, Cubasis 3.0.1, AUM v1.3.5, SynthMaster One, Jim Audio Pure Acid w Eventide Spring Reverb and AUM limiter, Synclavier Go w Magic Death Eye, Apirillo w NA Crunck v2 and Kosmonaut. MIDI triggering from Fugue Machine and Aphelian.

Thanks. Let me know if you need anything else to help you sort this out.

• edited March 2020

@LFS , hi! Here a new bug I found:

Description
    Opening midi clip in the project with freezed tracks opens another clip instead

Expected Results
    Opening a midi clip should open it

Actual Results
    See video:

Environment
    iPhone X, cubasis 3.0.1.6

• @LFS, and two more bugs:

1)
    Description
    After unfreezing a track, synth patch changes sometimes (sometimes reset to initial sound, sometimes reset to initial preset state)

Expected Results
    Unfreezing a track should not affect synth patch

Actual Results
    It changes patch

Environment
    iPhone X, cubasis 3.0.1.6

2)
    Midi clip of the freezed track sometimes not colored with gray (See screenshot)

• edited March 2020

The Volume automation is such a pain... these fiddly white crosses... often the "reduce" function does not work, so I have hundreds of these crosses in a given automation lane...

Tried to work with the "fade-in" and "fade-out", these little squares on the track display that you can drag right or left to build a fade-in or fade-out "ramp": mixed results. With some apps it works, with others it doesn't. I.e. Bleass Alpha: yes, Kronecker, Mood: nope.
    Fade in a track with one of the last two mentioned apps not working means: first midi note ist muted (as it should, because the fade-in ramp starts from zero volume), second midi note is already on full volume (as it shouldn't, because the fade-in ramp is still only slightly over zero).

Bugs or just inconvenience?

And on a little side note: I noticed that in "classic machines" the volume button is directly connected with the mixer fader. So no separate volume control inside the instrument. What?

• edited March 2020

Summary/Title
    Removing a group track mutes audio when it precedes grouped tracks.

Description
    Steps to reproduce:

1) Create a few AUDIO tracks

[1] Drums
    [2] Chords
    [3] Vocals

2) Create a new GROUP track and add the AUDIO tracks

[1] Drums
    [2] Chords
    [3] Vocals
    [4] Group

3) Move GROUP track above the AUDIO clips:

[1] Group
    [2] Drums
    [3] Chords
    [4] Vocals

4) Delete GROUP track

[1] Drums
    [2] Chords
    [3] Vocals

5) BUG: Audio will no longer play from the track that was at the top of group ( in this case: [1] Drums )

Expected Results
    All audio clips will continue to work after removing a preceding group track.

Actual Results
    Audio will no longer play from the track that was at the top of group.

Environment
    Cubasis 3.0.2
    iOS 13.4
    iPad Pro 10.5"

@LFS