Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gospel Musicians Launches IMPULSation on Sale for $6.99

Comments

• @bato , to add to what @wim said, IR's (which are the files that convolution apps use to convolve the signal being treated) are used for recreating a speaker cabinet or space's characteristics...they can also be useful for matching a particular EQ setting.

While you could create an IR for a particular amp or distortion pedal setting, it wouldn't be very useful because amps and distortion pedals respond in a more complicated way than convolution is useful for.

There are some good articles to be found on the topic.

• IMPULSation will be coming to iFX Rack soon. That was the purpose of the Attention and warning. We didn't want the iFX Users to be "blind-sided" when it does come out. IMPULSation for iFX Rack will be a separate IAP so you'll have that ability with iFX Rack.

We didn't release it with this one, because there are still some issues to work out.

Thanks!

• Sorry - just to be clear, are you saying that IFX users should not buy this as the same app will be released as an IFX IAP?

• @gusgranite said:
    Sorry - just to be clear, are you saying that IFX users should not buy this as the same app will be released as an IFX IAP?

Nobody is saying not to buy it unless you’d be bummed you did when it is released as an IAP in iFX Rack.

• wimwim
    edited December 2019

It could be handy to have both ways. A separate app to not have to load the entire iFX app just for a reverb or cab simulation, or an IAP to use it more conveniently in between other FX inside iFX Rack. I’m still tryin’ to figure out where I stand on that.

• @wim said:

@gusgranite said:
    Sorry - just to be clear, are you saying that IFX users should not buy this as the same app will be released as an IFX IAP?

Nobody is saying not to buy it unless you’d be bummed you did when it is released as an IAP in iFX Rack.

Yes, I would :smile: So I appreciate the heads up. Unless there is something more in the app than the IAP? (other than using it on its own)

• There is some confusion in the app description, @GospelMusicians: it does talk about 88 presets (which this product has), but it also talks about 200 impulses in several categories which are included in the Fantasy Verb in the iFX Rack, but not in IMPULSation. Would the missing impulses be possibly a future IAP, or a future inclusion in the app, or neither?

Suggest to clarify the app description, unless the additional impulses are expected to arrive in some update.
    Thanks!

• @Tim6502 said:
    There is some confusion in the app description, @GospelMusicians: it does talk about 88 presets (which this product has), but it also talks about 200 impulses in several categories which are included in the Fantasy Verb in the iFX Rack, but not in IMPULSation. Would the missing impulses be possibly a future IAP, or a future inclusion in the app, or neither?

Suggest to clarify the app description, unless the additional impulses are expected to arrive in some update.
    Thanks!

The top bar is the presets - the smaller bar (right of the range knob) is the IR library.. I only noticed this myself a few minutes ago.

• Thanks much @royor!
    So all of the impulses are there - just not all of them were turned into a preset.
    In the iFX Rack there is no distinction between preset and impulse (yet).

• @Tim6502 Yes, as far as I can tell, all the impulses are there (haven’t counted them).. same as in iFX Rack.

• _ki_ki
    edited December 2019

@GospelMusicians Sounds and looks nice, scales well in AUM. Congratulation for the release.

I would like to propose a new feature: ‚Lock Dry & Wet‘ . This would make it a lot easier to switch through the presets without having to re-adjust the wet and dry knob for each preset change.

I just tested that one can easily switch through the impulses to find the best fitting one - this keeps the same dry&wet but also the same pre-delay and range. As these two seem to have big influence on the sound, it still would be nice to have a ‚Lock Dry & Wet‘ for preset changes. I mainly use the AU in an AUX send bus and there you always want dry=0 and wet=100 regardless of preset or IR :)
    I suggest to use a per instance setting and not a visual button which is more work to integrate. If i think about the programming implications: This setting itself shouldn‘t be overwritten by loading a new preset, but needs to be in the settings to have it set differently in the multiple instances of the AU on project recall - so how does it get set ?
    Solution: Only apply this specific ‚Lock Dry & Wet‘ setting on the first preset load action after AU instantiation, but always save it with the preset.

• @_ki said:
    @GospelMusicians Sounds and looks nice, scales well in AUM. Congratulation for the release.

I would like to propose a new feature: ‚Lock Dry & Wet‘ . This would make it a lot easier to switch through the presets without having to re-adjust the wet and dry knob for each preset change.

I just tested that one can easily switch through the impulses to find the best fitting one - this keeps the same dry&wet but also the same pre-delay and range. As these two seem to have big influence on the sound, it still would be nice to have a ‚Lock Dry & Wet‘ for preset changes. I mainly use the AU in an AUX send bus and there you always want dry=0 and wet=100 regardless of preset or IR :)
    I suggest to use a per instance setting and not a visual button which is more work to integrate. If i think about the programming implications: This setting itself shouldn‘t be overwritten by loading a new preset, but needs to be in the settings to have it set differently in the multiple instances of the AU on project recall - so how does it get set ?
    Solution: Only apply this specific ‚Lock Dry & Wet‘ setting on the first preset load action after AU instantiation, but always save it with the preset.

+1

• If I have fantasyverb should I wait iAP to import pulse or should I get this?

• edited December 2019

@GospelMusicians

wanted to try CPU efficiency but usually it crashes with 14-15th instance .. any chance to fix this or it is just inevitable result of AUv3 memory management ? (2019 mini model, latest iOS13, NS2)

• @dendy said:
    @GospelMusicians

wanted to try CPU efficiency but usually it crashes with 14-15th instance .. any chance to fix this or it is just inevitable result of AUv3 memory management ? (2019 mini model, latest iOS13, NS2)

lol, that's a lot of reverbs! might be time to make an fx bus :)
    I honestly can't imagine a situation where I'd need more than two reverbs.

convolution is notoriously cpu heavy and this seems remarkably efficient imo. I love this thing! I've already loaded hundreds of my favorite impulses and I'm in heaven.

• edited December 2019

@GospelMusicians thank you for bringing this to fruition.

Exactly the convolution I've been dreaming of. A simple to use IR loader! Looks great, sounds great! What more could anyone ask for?

...and now for a little feature request :D
    in addition to the "lock dry/wet" feature request that @_ki mentioned, there's one more thing that would help:

in addition to the pre-delay, it would be nice to be able to shift the start position the opposite direction. After loading in hundreds of IR's, I'm noticing that many have built-in predelay and it would be really nice to be able to be able to trim the silence at the beginning of the waveform.

• some nice ones here https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/convolution-reverb-impulse-responses/
    easy to import and imports with folder structure intact :)

• @Gravitas said:
    Ah!!! the price jumped back up to £6.99 which answers my question.

oops! well... ya Grumble, ya Stumble :). never look a gratuity pony in the tonsils etc etc :)

• @Charlesalbert said:
    If I have fantasyverb should I wait iAP to import pulse or should I get this?

This! Wondering myself too

• edited December 2019

@palms said:

@dendy said:
    @GospelMusicians

lol, that's a lot of reverbs! might be time to make an fx bus :)

convolution is notoriously cpu heavy and this seems remarkably efficient imo. I love this thing! I've already loaded hundreds of my favorite impulses and I'm in heaven.

yeah, it was not normal track-production use case - i was just curious about about performance, so i wanted to do classic test - to keep adding and adding until i hit 80% of cpu with still no crackles on buffer i usually use during production .. but as i said, it crashes after 14-15th instance .. just some measurement science :)

I honestly can't imagine a situation where I'd need more than two reverbs.

it's completely normal that i have in my project 10-20 instances of reverb .. i want to keep it more opened for another processing, i see reverb more like part of sound design than just something which makes "space" .. often i equalise differently various tracks after reverb, sometimes i even apply overdrive or stuff like that (or sidechaining) on applied reverb .. in 99% cases i uses reverbs on inserts not on sends ..

• @richardyot said:
    @GospelMusicians how do you import your own IRs into the app? I can’t figure it out.

I still haven't figured this out - can anyone help?

• @richardyot said:

@richardyot said:
    @GospelMusicians how do you import your own IRs into the app? I can’t figure it out.

1. Make a folder on your iCloud Drive (fe. 'IRs');
    2. make a folder for your downloaded IR's (fe. 'Fender twin cabinets') and copy your IR's into that folder;
    3. copy that folder ('Fender Twin cabinets') to the folder (IRs) on your iCloud Drive;
    4. open IMPULSation standalone and tap on the IR's dropdownbox (not the presets dropdown!);
    5. make a new library there and select that library
    6. tap on IMPORT and go to the iCoud folder (IRs) and tap on the folder you made there ('Fender Twin cabinets);
    7. tap Ready in the top right corner of that last screen and then your IR's are imported as a BANK with the name of your imported folder ('Fender twin cabinets');
    8. ready....
  • @richardyot said:

@richardyot said:

• Gitarists: IMPULSation is the ideal companion for ReAmp (from Klevgr.)!! Select a Guitar Tube Clean (or Drive) in ReAmp and import some amp cabinet IR's in IMPULSation, select one of these IR's and turn the WET knob to 100% and the DRY knob to 0%. Put them as effects after each other in AUM and you have great sound. Put if you wish other effect-AUv3's before or after ReAmp and you don't need (IAA's) ToneStack or BIAS FX anymore...

• @GospelMusicians :
    Does the app supports true stereo impulse responses?

• @Harro said:
    Gitarists: IMPULSation is the ideal companion for ReAmp (from Klevgr.)!! Select a Guitar Tube Clean (or Drive) in ReAmp and import some amp cabinet IR's in IMPULSation, select one of these IR's and turn the WET knob to 100% and the DRY knob to 0%. Put them as effects after each other in AUM and you have great sound. Put if you wish other effect-AUv3's before or after ReAmp and you don't need (IAA's) ToneStack or BIAS FX anymore...

Great suggestion, but there’s no way this combination is going to make all the different amps in ToneStack etc redundant, unless Reamp gets updated with the ability to model different guitar amp topologies.

• @RockySmalls said:

@Gravitas said:
    Ah!!! the price jumped back up to £6.99 which answers my question.

oops! well... ya Grumble, ya Stumble :). never look a gratuity pony in the tonsils etc etc :)

Lololololol

Merely observing don't cha know.

• edited December 2019

@dendy said:
    @GospelMusicians

Oh gosh....are you serious! 15-instances of a very expensive convolution reverb is insane...and I mean that in a good way :smile: . Just to give you a perspective, some some devices can't even load in one instance of a convolution reverb. We spent weeks on optimizing it, without being able to test more than 5-devices, but if you are getting 15-instances, then I would say you more than hit the jackpot. Convolution/Impulse reverbs are the most expensive and cpu intensive thing you can do in digital audio production, so you can't compare it to an algorithmic reverb....This is amazing....Thanks for finding this out for us....that is good news.

I'm curious as to what device you are using?

PS: Most producers, even on the desktop, will bounce the track....