Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 3 for iPhone and iPad available...

Comments

• @AppleHorizon said:
    Forgot to say, I'm super excited to have this DAW on the iphone. I've been looking for something this full featured for my 8 plus for a long time.

Glad to hear that!

I wonder if fabfilter and sugarbytes wouldn't mind throwing some of that AUv3 magic to the iphone too.

Make sure to let them know, to make them aware of your request!

• edited December 2019

@[Deleted User] said:

@AppleHorizon said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@AppleHorizon said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@AppleHorizon said:

@richardyot said:

@AppleHorizon said:

@richardyot said:

DAWs that have sample-accurate MIDI editing usually have a MIDI resolution of 96000PPQN.

What DAW would that be?

The smallest unit in Logic Pro is 960 TPQN (they call them ticks).

Am interested in a source if you have one.

http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14497

I believe some desktop DAWs also support this MIDI resolution, for the same reason.

It's interesting.

In Logic when editing within a region, we can move events at the ticks level 960 per quarter note, but at the tracks level, can move regions and audio within that track at the sample level, which obviously is determined by sample rate of the project itself.

I guess in that thread users were talking about Auria having both a 480 PPQN grid for midi editing and the option to move midi events at the sample level.

Obviously the goal isn't necessarily sample-accurate midi editing, which would be silly, but to have midi events align with audio events at the sample level.

Its a very nice feature to have midi editing sample accurate when you are doing some sweet audio editing and want the midi to match audio samples while off the Beaten tempo track.

Isn't that way off the beaten tempo track though?

If the project is set to 48Khz, that's 48,000 samples per second.

If we have a PPQN of 960 then at 120bpm, we'd have 2 beats per second with 1920 ticks per second available to wiggle around in.

And here we have Auria claiming to internally use a resolution of 960,000 PPQN, but allows us to operate at the sample level of the project externally. I'd really like to know why.

I mean in that same example of 48,000 samples per second. With a PPQN of 960,000 at 120bpm, there would be 2 beats per second with 1,920,000 possible divisions while the project rate is 48,000 samples per second?

What would the point of that be?

Maybe expecting an eventual move to DSD sample rates in the future?

Well if you have an audio sample and the DAW allows you to snap the midi to the audio sample then it sample accurate. I love your breakdown 👍

Exactly and I get it but it just seems weird to me, especially when I think about beat machines I've seen which operated at 1/16th notes which I guess would be equivalent to 4 PPQN. :D

Wait, we got an update to 1/64th notes... 16 PPQN! Rock on! :D

But say if you use audio samples of live playing and chop it up then the grid goes out the window unless you quantise so in this case snapping midi to your audio is interesting.

I think when we are talking about the smallest fractions of a second, it's a bit much. Each sample in an audio file isn't a wave unto itself.

I'd definitely be interested in the perceptible difference.

I personally wouldn't ever want to edit any piece of audio by hand at the sample rate level, even trying to edit midi by hand at 960 PPQN is pretty gross, but great for capture of midi that is played into the app to be "quantized to", and thus "humanized" much more than those super small PPQNs.

• @MobileMusic said:

@MobileMusic said:

@Samu said:
    For one it's going to be interesting to how many iPhone users will actually get Cubasis 3 after numerous 'I want Cubasis on my iPhone' posts :)

Most probably many more than the niche iPad users. Not everyone who has an iPhone has an iPad which makes iPhone a much bigger market. Remember the mobile browsing has gone over 50%...

The real issue is probably how many users are on iOS 13 that Cubasis 3 requires and that may be a niche for sometime. The iPhone version was requested for so long that the users’ devices have grown older by now (LOL :smiley:). Most users are probably on iOS 8, 9, 10, 11 or 12 due to their older devices as iOS 13 would require newer devices. An iPhone 6s might brick if v13 is installed on it.

I have iOS 13 installed on my 6s plus, the oldest generation iPhone supported by iOS 13 (I think) and it runs just fine. Headphone jack 4 lyf!

• @LFS said:

@audio_DT said:
    Just to note: massive crackles when using four instances of Kauldron, with nothing else - no effects. I’m using an iPad Pro 2018, so obviously this shouldn’t be happening. The DSP is going mental (!), and even deleting instances of Kauldron doesn’t fix the problem. Looking good as a whole, though. I’m sure these hiccups will be sorted in due course.

Did changing latency helps?

Not tried that but, tbh, I'm having big problems with C3 right now. The automation, which I initially thought, "at last!, at last!", doesn't seem to have resolved the old intermittent behaviour. In addition, the whole thing just seems like a beta right now. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I can't see what. The DSP seems to be crazy for no real reason at all, i.e. not as simply a result of overloading it. I'll stick with it because I'm sure these issues will be resolved in time, but at the moment it's all a bit of a disappointment. I tried the automation and it worked fantastically well for the first try, but after that it's become unusable - like in C2, pretty much. I'll wait to see if others are having the same problems, though, rather than it potentially just me being a numpty.

• @ipadbeatmaking said:
    @LFS or anyone in the know, does this version of Cubasis do ripple/shuffle/magnetic timeline editing? Thanks

Quoting myself. Same question

• @hellquist said:

@Sergiu said:
    Kinda late to this...what are the main important/desired features in Cubasis 3?
    Did Cubasis 3 fulfilled anyone wishes?

Better mixing resolution, better timeline resolution for both midi/audio, no more sync problems, flexible windows for the interface and mix groups are quite big for most people I think. Oh, and the phone version for those who like that (I don't mind but I also don't care). The main thing holding me back is lack of multiple time signatures/tempos in same tune as well as absence of Link.

As a long time owner of Cubasis on iOS with all IAP, the ppqn and lack of multiple time signatures changes and tempo changes forced me to stop using it. Now 960ppqn in v3 is a great update but I will wait for time signature/tempo changes before updating. Price is fine at that point.
    @LFS

• @papertiger said:

@MobileMusic said:

@MobileMusic said:

@Samu said:
    For one it's going to be interesting to how many iPhone users will actually get Cubasis 3 after numerous 'I want Cubasis on my iPhone' posts :)

Most probably many more than the niche iPad users. Not everyone who has an iPhone has an iPad which makes iPhone a much bigger market. Remember the mobile browsing has gone over 50%...

The real issue is probably how many users are on iOS 13 that Cubasis 3 requires and that may be a niche for sometime. The iPhone version was requested for so long that the users’ devices have grown older by now (LOL :smiley:). Most users are probably on iOS 8, 9, 10, 11 or 12 due to their older devices as iOS 13 would require newer devices. An iPhone 6s might brick if v13 is installed on it.

I have iOS 13 installed on my 6s plus, the oldest generation iPhone supported by iOS 13 (I think) and it runs just fine. Headphone jack 4 lyf!

iOS 13 runs very smooth on an iPhone SE and it is installed on 50 % of iDevices so not really a niche at this point

• @AppleHorizon said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@AppleHorizon said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@AppleHorizon said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@AppleHorizon said:

@richardyot said:

@AppleHorizon said:

@richardyot said:

DAWs that have sample-accurate MIDI editing usually have a MIDI resolution of 96000PPQN.

What DAW would that be?

I believe some desktop DAWs also support this MIDI resolution, for the same reason.

It's interesting.

In Logic when editing within a region, we can move events at the ticks level 960 per quarter note, but at the tracks level, can move regions and audio within that track at the sample level, which obviously is determined by sample rate of the project itself.

I guess in that thread users were talking about Auria having both a 480 PPQN grid for midi editing and the option to move midi events at the sample level.

Obviously the goal isn't necessarily sample-accurate midi editing, which would be silly, but to have midi events align with audio events at the sample level.

Its a very nice feature to have midi editing sample accurate when you are doing some sweet audio editing and want the midi to match audio samples while off the Beaten tempo track.

If we have a PPQN of 960 then at 120bpm, we'd have 2 beats per second with 1920 ticks per second available to wiggle around in.

And here we have Auria claiming to internally use a resolution of 960,000 PPQN, but allows us to operate at the sample level of the project externally. I'd really like to know why.

I mean in that same example of 48,000 samples per second. With a PPQN of 960,000 at 120bpm, there would be 2 beats per second with 1,920,000 possible divisions while the project rate is 48,000 samples per second?

Well if you have an audio sample and the DAW allows you to snap the midi to the audio sample then it sample accurate. I love your breakdown 👍

Exactly and I get it but it just seems weird to me, especially when I think about beat machines I've seen which operated at 1/16th notes which I guess would be equivalent to 4 PPQN. :D

But say if you use audio samples of live playing and chop it up then the grid goes out the window unless you quantise so in this case snapping midi to your audio is interesting.

I think when we are talking about the smallest fractions of a second, it's a bit much. Each sample in an audio file isn't a wave unto itself.

I personally wouldn't ever want to edit any piece of audio by hand at the sample rate level, even trying to edit midi by hand at 960 PPQN is pretty gross, but great for capture of midi that is played into the app to be "quantized to", and thus "humanized" much more than those super small PPQNs.

Say if you want you take a groove from a live recording, sample accurate midi editing can allow you to use that groove on other midi instruments. It can make a difference I believe. 😊

• @LFS said:

@eross said:
    @LFS how is it transferring sessions between iphone and ipad? i’d love to make something on my phone , and then transfer that whole session to my ipad when i get home. and what would be even cooler would be to transfer it to my desktop Cubase to finish everything off.

Hi eross,

One super quick option is to use AirDrop:

• Go to "Projects" and select a file
    • Tap "Share" button and "More"
    • Tap "AirDrop" and choose the device

Loading Cubasis projects with Cubase is possible too.
    Please note that the required Cubasis 3 Importer will be released shortly.

Best,
    Lars

This sounds perfect

• @papertiger said:

@MobileMusic said:

@MobileMusic said:

@Samu said:

Which year is your 6s? How many apps do you have on it? Mine is the one released on day one but it has hundreds of kids apps that I need to start cleaning up. Maybe that will improve its speed.

• The most exciting features to me are the Undo list and the group channels.

I personally don’t follow though,cause for me the price and the features of v3 are not justified over v2.

Its ok for a new user,it’s not for a Cubasis 2 user.

It looks good for v3 though and really congrats on the team for pulling it off,personally I will stick to what I already have.

• Congrats to @LFS and fam. Looks like a fantastic piece of work.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@AppleHorizon said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@AppleHorizon said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@AppleHorizon said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@AppleHorizon said:

@richardyot said:

@AppleHorizon said:

@richardyot said:

What DAW would that be?

It's interesting.

Say if you want you take a groove from a live recording, sample accurate midi editing can allow you to use that groove on other midi instruments. It can make a difference I believe. 😊

Well I look at the example again of 960 PPQN, at 120bpm, which is 1920 pulses per second.

That is 0.00052083 of a second! That is 1/1920th of a second.

It's hard to believe perfectly aligning to a sample rate of 0.00002803 of a second is noticeably better (48khz).

• edited December 2019

@AppleHorizon said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@AppleHorizon said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@AppleHorizon said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@AppleHorizon said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@AppleHorizon said:

@richardyot said:

@AppleHorizon said:

@richardyot said:

What DAW would that be?

It's interesting.

Well I look at the example again of 960 PPQN, at 120bpm, which is 1920 pulses per second.

It's hard to believe perfectly aligning to a sample rate of 0.00002803 of a second is noticeably better (48khz).

Maybe one for another topic 🙂 i dont wanna completely hijack Cubasis 3

• Is it simple to freeze and flatten AU tracks?

• 1 click. Done.

@DaveMagoo said:
    Is it simple to freeze and flatten AU tracks?

• edited December 2019

Is it possible now to record the audio directly from the output of a midi track triggered by a midi effect ? I mean, without having to freeze a track first!

• @MobileMusic
    An iPhone 6s might brick if v13 is installed on it.

Nope :-) Smooth like breeze...

i really don't see any reason to not use iOS13 - super stable, even AU plugins are working netter on iOS13 (less memory-related crashes)

• edited December 2019

@Lfs quick question: if I send a project recorded in 44.4 on iPad over to iPhone which is 48k, will there be syncing problems with the projects’ audio & midi files? (Haven’t tried it yet, it’s a problem on another unnamed DAW)

• edited December 2019

@AppleHorizon said:

Just to clarify: this whole conversation started simply because someone asked a question (what PPQN is required to be sample-accurate), so I just answered the question. I never intended to derail the thread with this discussion as to whether such a feature is useful...

IMO Cubasis 3 has all the timeline resolution anyone could need.

However it should also be added that if the audio resolution is the same as the MIDI PPQN then you still can't do sample-accurate audio edits on the timeline - for example trying to loop audio at a zero crossing.

• wimwim
    edited December 2019

I originally purchased Cubasis LE, then upgraded to Cubasis 2 via IAP, then subsequently bought all the other IAPs. Will the IAPs transfer to Cubasis 3 even though the original product was Cubase LE?

• @wim said:
    I originally purchased Cubasis LE, then upgraded to Cubasis 2 via IAP, then subsequently bought all the other IAPs. Will the IAPs transfer to Cubasis 3 even though the original product was Cubase LE?

Was answered above, no.
    But there will be a C3LE later, IIRC.

• wimwim
    edited December 2019

@tja said:

@wim said:

Was answered above, no.

Not exactly. That was whether Cubasis LE would transfer to Cubasis 3. However, I own Cubasis 2 (as confirmed by the opening screen), but I arrived at Cubasis 2 from an original Cubasis LE purchase + IAPs.

That's a different scenario.

• @wim said:

@tja said:

@wim said:

Was answered above, no.

Not exactly. That was whether Cubasis LE would transfer to Cubasis 3. However, I own Cubasis 2 (as confirmed by the opening screen), but I arrived at Cubasis 2 from an original Cubasis LE purchase + IAPs.

As far as i understand, you upgraded with IAP.
    This is still a C2LE.

• wimwim
    edited December 2019

@tja said:

@wim said:

@tja said:

@wim said:

Was answered above, no.

As far as i understand, you upgraded with IAP.
    This is still a C2LE.

Nope. I have been assured that more than once by @LFS. The opening screen even confirms that it is indeed Cubasis 2, not Cubasis LE2 (now). It's a gray area as regards the IAP transfers though.

Thanks for trying to answer the question, but the answer needs to come from @LFS.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Cubasis is what got me into creating music with ipad. We’ve all been spoiled with regular updates. It’s not perfect but no app is perfect. I’ll gladly pay the price knowing I can expect some years of free updates. And btw cubasis has the best MPE support on ios. Keep up to the good work @LFS and the cubasis team.

• @LFS Congrats on reaching this MileStone to you and the Team! Will be updating shortly and looking forward to the new features and the road going forward for Cubasis on iOS!

• Installed c3 on iPhone and iPad Pro 1.
    Works fine on iPhone - I’m super excited to have it on my XSMax
    But on iPad it works terribly bad. UI lagging, audio is dropping and midi events are not time accurate (2 tracks, no fx) - it is not even beta quality. While c2 works well on a same device. I’m very disappointed. $50 app should have better quality.

• Just one comment more:

If you delete your App and try to install it again, what are you going to install?

1) Cubasis 2

2) Cubasis 2 LE

If 2), its still C2LE!

That IAP is not the same as the "real" C2, sorry.

At least, i am predicting this as the answer from LFS as far as i understood the App Store, Apps and IAP.