Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 3 for iPhone and iPad available...

Comments

• tjatja
    edited December 2019

@tja said:
    That's impressive and unexpected.
    This fixes most of the issue, people had.

And yes, a bundle would have been in order!

I am not yet sure that I need it, at full price, now that we have nanostudio 2.
    As as bundle, with reduced price, it would be a nobrainer.

But OK, at least the IAP transfer.

@LFS said:
    • In-app purchases automatically sync across all iOS devices where you are logged in.

What exactly does that mean?
    Logged in?!?

I hope you don't require some sort of account or login.

Could you reply to this, @LFS?

• @Samu said:
    For one it's going to be interesting to how many iPhone users will actually get Cubasis 3 after numerous 'I want Cubasis on my iPhone' posts :)

Count me as #1. Thank you Steinberg!!! You’ve made my year. I can finally delete all my other DAWs.
    Happy happy happy

• edited December 2019

@LFS said:
    Hi @krassmann,

Cubasis 3 was rewritten from scratch and developed next to maintaining Cubasis 2 over the last years.
    It's a brand-new app, not a simple update from Cubasis 1/2.

I fully acknowledge that a complete rewrite justifies a new major version but you must also understand the perspective of the Cubasis 2 users. From my perspective the added features do not make me shell out €55 again.

I’m in the software industry myself and I know that a complete re-write is a big risk for a software company and the devs must be paid. I appreciate very much that you took this risk - it shows your commitment to iOS as platform. It’s really a pity that Apple does not allow upgrades for a reduced price.

Midi controller support is on our list for future updates.

Sorry for being notorious about that but this feature is ‘on the list’ already since 5 years.

Re: MIDI Control of Cubasis
    Post  by Philippe Bono » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:52 pm

Hi soundog,

controller support is not a main focus at the moment since Cubasis explores the touchscreen as an interface.
    Of course we have this request on our list and you are not the first one asking for it ;)

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=61074

I’m looking forward to new Cubasis releases.

• @krassmann said:

@LFS said:
    Hi @krassmann,

Cubasis 3 was rewritten from scratch and developed next to maintaining Cubasis 2 over the last years.
    It's a brand-new app, not a simple update from Cubasis 1/2.

I fully acknowledge that a complete rewrite justifies a new major version but you must also understand the perspective of the Cubasis 2 users. From my perspective the added features do not make me shell out €55 again.

Midi controller support is on our list for future updates.

Sorry for being notorious about that but this feature is ‘on the list’ already since 5 years.

Re: MIDI Control of Cubasis
    Post  by Philippe Bono » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:52 pm

Hi soundog,

controller support is not a main focus at the moment since Cubasis explores the touchscreen as an interface.
    Of course we have this request on our list and you are not the first one asking for it ;)

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=61074

I’m looking forward to new Cubasis releases.

5 years!!!!!!! jeeeeezzz

• @Faland said:
    Ok, this put me out. Good to know.

Cubasis LE 3 is planned to be released at the end of March 2020.
    We'll check if it is technically possible to do the same here, transferring in-app purchases between Cubasis LE 2 and Cubasis LE 3.

Best,
    Lars

• @tja said:

@richardyot said:

@AudioGus said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    No 2.8.2 update in the US Appstore yet. No 2.8.2, no update to Cubasis 3. 😎

No but seriously, I've been wanting a proper DAW on the iPhone for a while. Cubasis isn't perfect by any means, but at least I'll have a way to easily mix down my stems from GR-16 in lieu of NS2 audio tracks as well as an environment in which to master tracks well, especially if the Waves plugins work in Cubasis 3 on the iPhone.

Yah the forthcoming (2020?) NS2 audio tracks is pretty much making me a picky Gus at this point. Group tracks and reordering AUfx would be great in the shorterm but not worth 70$ cad particularly if even after a rewrite the main timeline resolution is not finaly improved... Or is it?

My guess is that the audio resolution will match the MIDI resolution of 960ppqn, so still not sample-accurate but a lot better than Cubasis 2. It would be nice to be wrong about this though...

How much PPQ would be needed to be sample accurate?

That depends on the BPM and sampling rate of course...

Essentially: PPQ = Hz / (BPM / 60)

• @tja said:

@richardyot said:

@AudioGus said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:
    No 2.8.2 update in the US Appstore yet. No 2.8.2, no update to Cubasis 3. 😎

No but seriously, I've been wanting a proper DAW on the iPhone for a while. Cubasis isn't perfect by any means, but at least I'll have a way to easily mix down my stems from GR-16 in lieu of NS2 audio tracks as well as an environment in which to master tracks well, especially if the Waves plugins work in Cubasis 3 on the iPhone.

Yah the forthcoming (2020?) NS2 audio tracks is pretty much making me a picky Gus at this point. Group tracks and reordering AUfx would be great in the shorterm but not worth 70$ cad particularly if even after a rewrite the main timeline resolution is not finaly improved... Or is it?

My guess is that the audio resolution will match the MIDI resolution of 960ppqn, so still not sample-accurate but a lot better than Cubasis 2. It would be nice to be wrong about this though...

How much PPQ would be needed to be sample accurate?

PPQN and sample rates are not directly convertible, because MIDI resolution (PPQN) is tempo-based: PPQN is short for Pulses Per Quarter Note, so changing BPM will change the quarter-note value in the time domain.

Audio is measured in samples rates: 41.1 khz is 41100 samples per second, and is not tempo-dependent.

DAWs that have sample-accurate MIDI editing usually have a MIDI resolution of 96000PPQN. But many DAWs can have lower PPQN values for MIDI and still offer sample-accurate editing for audio, but for some reason Cubasis 2 limited the audio resolution to the very low MIDI resolution, which made it completely unsuitable for any kind of audio editing.

• @AudioGus said:
    The midi editing is at a higher resolution in 3 but is the timeline resolution also improved for slicing audio clips? Here is Cubasis 2..

Hi @AudioGus , in Cubasis 2 if you touch the display in the top bar you can switch it in minutes:seconds and you can adjust the cut more accurately.

• @Tatobx said:

@AudioGus said:
    The midi editing is at a higher resolution in 3 but is the timeline resolution also improved for slicing audio clips? Here is Cubasis 2..

Hi @AudioGus , in Cubasis 2 if you touch the display in the top bar you can switch it in minutes:seconds and you can adjust the cut more accurately.

Even then, still not accurate enough. Hopefully Cubasis 3 has fixed this though.

• edited December 2019

@richardyo they are completely convertible, see equation above! grin 😉 (sorry, in smartass mode today!) For a given BPM and sampling rate, it gives the necessary PPQ to be sample-accurate.

• edited December 2019

Im having problems sending midi out to my op-z. Im using the same basic set up that works perfectly in cubasis 2 with no problems. Op-z connect via usb-c to ipad with midi out on in settings. Not sure if midi out is bugged?

Side note:I know launch day is a shit show. But im happy to see these improvements to the platform and appreciate your guys hard work.

• @NoiseHorse said:

@Samu said:
    For one it's going to be interesting to how many iPhone users will actually get Cubasis 3 after numerous 'I want Cubasis on my iPhone' posts :)

Count me as #1. Thank you Steinberg!!! You’ve made my year. I can finally delete all my other DAWs.
    Happy happy happy

Thank you! Hope you'll enjoy using Cubasis 3!

Best,
    Lars

• @lfs i bought the app, everything seems cool accept audio quality on my bluetooth earbuds. it gets very degraded and lo-fi. is there a setting i need to change somewhere?

• @eross said:
    @lfs i bought the app, everything seems cool accept audio quality on my bluetooth earbuds. it gets very degraded and lo-fi. is there a setting i need to change somewhere?

Hi @eross,

Please try these steps:

• Make sure Bluetooth is enabled in the iOS settings
    • In Cubasis 3: Go to "Setup/Audio" and activate "Bluetooth / AirPlay"

Hope that helps!

Best,
    Lars

• @LFS

Soooo, any news on the 2.8.2 update? I presume you’re in contact with Apple to find out wtf is going on?

• @eross said:
    @lfs i bought the app, everything seems cool accept audio quality on my bluetooth earbuds. it gets very degraded and lo-fi. is there a setting i need to change somewhere?

update. it may have been a weird glitch on the first track. it seems to be better now. i’ll keep you up to date.

• @LFS said:
    Freely transfer your Cubasis 2 in-app purchases to Cubasis 3

Pre-Requisite
    Please make sure Cubasis 2.8.2 is installed on your iPad

Steps
    - Launch Cubasis 3
    - Go to the in-app shop
    - Follow the instructions of the IAP transfer pop-up

i am not near my ipad, but just purchased it on my phone, how can i get my past purchases to pull up on my phone cubasis?

• @AudioGus said:

You can somewhat overcome this by not editing on the timeline and switching the ruler to show time instead of bars/beats and using the audio editor for the editing. Sure it's not ideal for chopping but good enough for trimming a sample...

Remains to be seen how well the new and improved audio & midi editors work if/when I get Cubasis 3...
    (I just summed my yearly app spendings and ended up at 6665SEK ~700USD so far this year).

• @osc101 said:
    Man, I just want to thank @LFS for his efforts here on this site. I know support is never easy and usually thankless... this is especially true with such a niche product like IOS music production tools tend to be.

Keep up the good work.

Respect.

Seconded.

• @MobileMusic said:

@Samu said:

Most probably many more than the niche iPad users. Not everyone who has an iPhone has an iPad which makes iPhone a much bigger market.

I, for one, am immediately buying this! :smiley:

• @Tatobx said:

@AudioGus said:

It is exactly the same for me either way.

• @Beathoven said:
    @LFS

Soooo, any news on the 2.8.2 update? I presume you’re in contact with Apple to find out wtf is going on?

Hi Beathoven, Hi all,

Cubasis 3.0, Cubasis 2.8.2 and Cubasis LE 2.8.2 has been released one after another this morning.
    Apple runs the App Store. Unfortunately we're unable to tell, why the 2.8.2 updates are not showing up in some cases.

We hope it won't take too long...

Best,
    Lars

• @Samu said:

@AudioGus said:

You can somewhat overcome this by not editing on the timeline and switching the ruler to show time instead of bars/beats and using the audio editor for the editing. Sure it's not ideal for chopping but good enough for trimming a sample...

You mean for destructive editing of samples?

• @papertiger said:

@osc101 said:
    Man, I just want to thank @LFS for his efforts here on this site. I know support is never easy and usually thankless... this is especially true with such a niche product like IOS music production tools tend to be.

Keep up the good work.

Respect.

Seconded.

Thank you very much! Cubasis is a team effort, of a very small but very skilled team!

• @eross said:

@eross said:

update. it may have been a weird glitch on the first track. it seems to be better now. i’ll keep you up to date.

Great! Please keep me updated!

• @tja said:

@LFS said:
    • In-app purchases automatically sync across all iOS devices where you are logged in.

Logged in?!?

Hi,

The in-app purchases you've purchased through the App Store are automatically synced across all your iOS devices, where you are logged in (App Store log-in).

Hope that helps!

Best,
    Lars

• The update looks great thanks for all the work that went into this and supporting the platform. Quick question: is there now, or if not, any plans to resample? I realize there is a freeze button however there are several audio unit instruments that I would love to play and record their output. Specifically, idensity, spacecraft and reslice. I don’t see a way to record the performance in app using the touch ui . Am I missing something? Thanks again.

• edited December 2019

@richardyot said:

@Tatobx said:

@AudioGus said:

Even then, still not accurate enough. Hopefully Cubasis 3 has fixed this though.

On my device it seems to be exactly the same on the timeline (choosing bars or time). I am not saying I need/want sample accurate editing on the timeline. Four times the resolution over Cubasis 2 would likely be enough for me. Given that this is a complete rewrite, if this has not improved then i wager it would not find it's way into a 3 update at any point.

• @LFS said:

@tja said:

@LFS said:

Logged in?!?

Hi,

The in-app purchases you've purchased through the App Store are automatically synced across all your iOS devices, where you are logged in (App Store log-in).

Hope that helps!

Best,
    Lars

Are users able to decide what content is synced? I am often running short on space on my phone. It would be a shame if it was all or nothing.

Thanks for fielding all of these questions!

• @LFS said:

@eross said:

@eross said:

Great! Please keep me updated!

i closed the app and went back into the project i was working on and it did it again. so i started a new project and it sounded better but quieter. so i went to audio setting and click the audio bluetooth button off and back on. seems to work. but if i press the studio recording quality button it kicks out again. image it’s just a small bug that can be stomped out pretty quick by your team. let me know if you have questions. thanks