Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 3 for iPhone and iPad available...

Comments

• @TimRussell said:

@Fingolfinzzz said:

@jscheel said:
    @LFS can I make a feature request? As a left-handed user, I find it very difficult to use the momentary controls on the left side of the piano roll, especially when using the Apple Pencil. Adding an option to switch those controls to the right side of the screen would be amazing.

Another lefty vote for this. That goes to all of you developers too.

And another lefty vote for this!
    Even better, get rid of the momentary control and have it ‘latching’ like in NS2 (or the option to switch between the two in the settings section).

We are a vast conspiracy of Lefties who demand that our spatially advanced super powers are fully let fly etc!

• edited June 2020

@LFS said:

Hi @drewinnit,

Thanks for your message.

What happened exactly, when you reopened the app:

• Did it load with a different project?
    • Are you able to find your previous project in Media/Projects?

Normally, projects are auto-saved, so this should not happen.

Best,
    Lars

Hi Lars,

Thanks for replying.

The project itself was autosaved, but the state of the AUv3s wasn't.

The instances of Drambo would reload, unsaved. So the data I had saved in them was lost.

I have created some other projects and unfortunately notice a recurring issue with the saved states of AUv3. I Duplicate my projects religiously, then when one fails (example, a synth melody is lost because the AUv3 didn't load) I can dig in a Duplicated project for the lost info and replicate.

I have no doubt you and the team are working hard on developing CB3, I applaud your effort.

• I encountered today a problem which I couldn’t solve... I exported a little midi file from the piano motifs app into Cubasis. I liked the slow pace of the piano but my project was at 174 so the piano motif was way too fast. Now my question: where is the option to slow down the midi files at half speed or something like this? Any insights?

• @david_2017 said:
    I encountered today a problem which I couldn’t solve... I exported a little midi file from the piano motifs app into Cubasis. I liked the slow pace of the piano but my project was at 174 so the piano motif was way too fast. Now my question: where is the option to slow down the midi files at half speed or something like this? Any insights?

Hi @david2017,

Unfortunately, Cubasis does not come with an option to "time stretch" MIDI files.

Best,
    Lars

• @drewinnit said:

@LFS said:

Hi @drewinnit,

Thanks for your message.

What happened exactly, when you reopened the app:

• Did it load with a different project?
    • Are you able to find your previous project in Media/Projects?

Normally, projects are auto-saved, so this should not happen.

Best,
    Lars

Hi Lars,

Thanks for replying.

The project itself was autosaved, but the state of the AUv3s wasn't.

The instances of Drambo would reload, unsaved. So the data I had saved in them was lost.

I have created some other projects and unfortunately notice a recurring issue with the saved states of AUv3. I Duplicate my projects religiously, then when one fails (example, a synth melody is lost because the AUv3 didn't load) I can dig in a Duplicated project for the lost info and replicate.

I have no doubt you and the team are working hard on developing CB3, I applaud your effort.

Hi @drewinnit,

If possible, please provide us with short steps descripitions (feel free to add a clip or the project, too).
    If our engineers can easily reproduce the issue, there is a good chance to see it fixed (in case, it is related to Cubasis).

Best,
    Lars

• @LFS said:

@david_2017 said:
    I encountered today a problem which I couldn’t solve... I exported a little midi file from the piano motifs app into Cubasis. I liked the slow pace of the piano but my project was at 174 so the piano motif was way too fast. Now my question: where is the option to slow down the midi files at half speed or something like this? Any insights?

Hi @david2017,

Unfortunately, Cubasis does not come with an option to "time stretch" MIDI files.

Best,
    Lars

Danke! Muss ich mir was anderes einfallen lassen :)

• edited July 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @LFS said:

@david_2017 said:

Hi @david2017,

Best,
    Lars

I’m trying to get my head around this concept and issue. “Slow pace” of the piano? What does that mean? The tempo? Note duration? Then you imported it, and it sounds too fast at 174 so you want to time stretch to (ex: 120bpm)... why not just change the tempo? Very confusing to me.

• @caspergomez said:

Hi @david2017,

Best,
    Lars

I’m trying to get my head around this concept and issue. “Slow pace” of the piano? What does that mean? The tempo? Note duration? Then you imported it, and it sounds too fast at 174 so you want to time stretch to (ex: 120bpm)... why not just change the tempo? Very confusing to me.

You know Riffer? I can Set note duration there. I thought about importing the midi file and setting the not duration to half value so I have a 174 drumbeat with a 87 BPM piano midi. Makes sense? Non native speaker here 🙈

• @david_2017 said:

@caspergomez said:

Hi @david2017,

Best,
    Lars

You know Riffer? I can Set note duration there. I thought about importing the midi file and setting the not duration to half value so I have a 174 drumbeat with a 87 BPM piano midi. Makes sense? Non native speaker here 🙈

Yes. It does make a lot of sense. I was going to suggest that if you’re issue was a duration issue. 👍🏼

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @LFS said:

@david_2017 said:

Hi @david2017,

Best,
    Lars

@david_2017 Xequence 2 can do it, you can select a range of MIDI notes and freely time stretch/compress them on the time scale.

• @david_2017 said:

@caspergomez said:

Hi @david2017,

Best,
    Lars

If you have Xequence 2, you should be able to import the clip in there, stretch it out, and then export it. Set the X2 tempo to match the Cubasis tempo before stretching / saving.

• Since Cubasis doesn't yet allow us to use AUv3's or the Input from another tracks as a direct source for the sampler the only way to 'sample' TubeAU is to record its output to an audio track then go into the event editor to chop out the segment needed and save it to the media bay and from there import it to the Mini Sampler.

Don't bother editing the recorded audio on the time-line as the audio-event editor magically 'forgets' the audio events start & end points when going to to audio-editor...
    ...meaning if you did any kind of chopping on the time-line and expect it to be an easy procedure to trim & save the selection to the media bay for use with the mini sampler, all the editing done on the time-line is a waste of time...

I know @LFS and his team has an ever growing list of things to do but when the Start & End points of an Audio Event is 'forgotten' when going to the Audio Editor my patience is starting to go out the window...
    (It's a simple 'set start & end to match the currently selected audio event' thing, a no brainer really).

• edited July 2020

@samu you can also just freeze your track with settings like this to create new audio file with proper lenght, fast enough workflow IMO.

• So what’s your overall opinion of Cubasis vs GarageBand... what would you say two or three key distinctions would be regarding workflow, Audio and midi editing, etc?

• @Janosax said:
    @samu you can also just freeze your track with settings like this to create new audio file with proper lenght, fast enough workflow IMO.

...and that in turn will turn any mono recording into a stereo file and thus double the file-size :)

Freeze still has some issues when using plug-ins that add latency (mostly limiters/maximizers, including Waves Ultra Maximiser and the new Cubase Master Effects, Pro-L2, FAC Maxima etc. etc.). Trying to 'Freeze' a loop causes something that doesn't loop properly regardless of what 'mode' is used for the freeze...

Oh well, hopefully we'll see an improved sampler for Cubasis...
    ...until that happens I'll stick to Renoise & Logic Pro X on my Mac and use the iPad as a 'sound module'...

• edited July 2020

@caspergomez said:
    So what’s your overall opinion of Cubasis vs GarageBand... what would you say two or three key distinctions would be regarding workflow, Audio and midi editing, etc?

Cubasis 3 is much more close of a true DAW workflow, mostly because of this: automation, freezing, sends, groups, master track. Add to this AU midi effects, locators, punch in/out, audio edition. To me the most important thing is automation, it’s so fast to add movement just by touching knobs, also an essential sound design tool for me. GarageBand is a tad more stable, but workflow is not as fast mostly because of automation and proper freezing missing. Both apps have little bugs here and there but are perfectly usable. I’ve chosen to give Cubasis 3 a true chance because it’s stable enough and its workflow is the closest to what I’m searching for. If only it had loops view like GarageBand... but I can even live without that. I’ve already reported various bugs last week on Cubasis 3 forum, I’m confident things will be improved (lot of things fixed already on latest updates). All those having issues with Cubasis should report them on their forum too, their team really looks responsive IMO.

• Good analysis. And I’d add that GB supports IAA and AUV3 right? Overall i like using C3 better though and agree with your points.

• edited July 2020

@caspergomez said:
    Good analysis. And I’d add that GB supports IAA and AUV3 right? Overall i like using C3 better though and agree with your points.

Also C3 audio edition allow for pitch shift and time-stretch where it’s possible in GB only with Apple loops. And GB quantize is non destructive but C3 has very nice strength quantize setting which gives much more human results IMO. I like both midi editors, C3 is not that bad in that regard, quite fast to work with in fact.

• Great points again!

• edited July 2020

cubasis and zenbeats, the only actively developed daws?

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

@caspergomez said:
    Beatmaker

Last app update: Oct 26, 2019
    Most recent post from the developer on their forum: September 2019
    Last active on their forum: March 30, 2020
    Total posts from the developer on their forum: 33

Actively developed? Perhaps ... but not much evidence to indicate that. Or were you being ironic? It's hard to tell on the internet. ;)

• Well ok, but that’s not that long ago.

• wimwim
    edited July 2020

@caspergomez said:
    Well ok, but that’s not that long ago.

Agreed, less than a year isn't an especially long time for DAW updates. It's the lack of communication that's disturbing. On the other hand, the last time around, it took a shit storm of complaints to get the developer to say anything at all ... and then an update did come out within a matter of months. So, maybe. One just can't tell with Intua though.

• I'll keep reminding of the Cubase Sampler Track until we get it in Cubasis 3 (IAP is perfectly fine).
    I mean even GarageBand has a 'sampler track like' feature, drag any audio to the track with the sampler and boom...

I can't wait for Dom to do Sampler Track demo using Cubasis on the iPad :D
    But that would require @LFS and his team to put sample based work-flow a bit higher on the priority list...

Cheers!