Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 3 for iPhone and iPad available...

Comments

• Ok, but again, any serious musician who is an expert at his instrument, does not have to rely on a computer click track to dictate the tempo he should play or time signature. A band gets up there and just plays... and so anyone proficient who is trying to be a one man band could simply lay down the first track, and continue to record subsequent tracks atop the first. He should have no need (like the toddlers he speaks of) for training wheels - clicks - like the toddler would. In addition, he’s lucky enough, unlike those musicians of the past, to tweak his midi tracks after recording live, and magically hide his mistakes.

• wimwim
    edited January 2020

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    That’s a fair point, but there‘s a self-fulfilling prophecy risk. If Cubasis corners the beginners’ market while failing to keep up with the competition’s power user features, they risk being branded as a toy-maker.

You’re really stuck on this idea that not using tempo changes = beginners = toys. I don’t think that has anything to do with it. Today, computer music makers who care about tempo and time signature changes are a minority. This isn’t because of skill level or musicianship so much as where popular culture is today musically.

Sorry to say (really, because I think music is the worse for it), but the vast majority of potential customers probably just don’t care.

A company in the business of turning a profit has to choose how to prioritize based on impact on sales. I think you’re underestimating the investment and overestimating the return, especially in context with other priorities.

That doesn’t mean I like it. It just means I understand it.

Anyway, I won’t belabor the point. That’s not what the thread is about anyway.

• edited January 2020

That’s a fair point, but there‘s a self-fulfilling prophecy risk. If Cubasis corners the beginners’ market while failing to keep up with the competition’s power user features, they risk being branded as a toy-maker.

I think the whole patform of iOS is still crawling out from under the ‘toy’ label so what any given dev is perceived as within it is secondary to the overall image of the platform which is a very small niche. What your saying makes sense as a potential dynamic that could play out one day but I don’t think it would really factor in for another 5+, maybe even 10 years. This is a novelty platform with few big players and not a ton of competition at all, so brand cred is given for simply partaking at this point.

• wimwim
    edited January 2020

@caspergomez said:
    Ok, but again, any serious musician who is an expert at his instrument, does not have to rely on a computer click track to dictate the tempo he should play or time signature. A band gets up there and just plays... and so anyone proficient who is trying to be a one man band could simply lay down the first track, and continue to record subsequent tracks atop the first. He should have no need (like the toddlers he speaks of) for training wheels - clicks - like the toddler would. In addition, he’s lucky enough, unlike those musicians of the past, to tweak his midi tracks after recording live, and magically hide his mistakes.

And so I guess bands should just go into the studio and record in one take? They’re pro musicians after all. (On the other hand, some of the best cuts of all time were done in one take!)

• @caspergomez said:
    Ok, but again, any serious musician who is an expert at his instrument, does not have to rely on a computer click track to dictate the tempo he should play or time signature. A band gets up there and just plays... and so anyone proficient who is trying to be a one man band could simply lay down the first track, and continue to record subsequent tracks atop the first. He should have no need (like the toddlers he speaks of) for training wheels - clicks - like the toddler would. In addition, he’s lucky enough, unlike those musicians of the past, to tweak his midi tracks after recording live, and magically hide his mistakes.

If you’re arguing that complex tools aren’t necessary to create great art, then of course you’re correct. But complex tools can make new types of expression possible that could not otherwise be achieved. Nancarrow was my example above; do you know his work?

• @wim said:

You’re really stuck on this idea that not using tempo changes = beginners = toys. I don’t think that has anything to do with it. Today, computer music makers who care about tempo and time signature changes are a minority. This isn’t because of skill level or musicianship so much as where popular culture is today musically.

Sorry to say (really, because I think music is the worse for it), but the vast majority of potential customers probably just don’t care.

There may be a feedback process. When the toolmakers set boundaries that limit us, it’s easier to create within those boundaries, and then the boundaries are reflected in the art. The limitations become normalized in musical culture because of the tools. And the toolmakers use that culture to justify the limitations (eg, Novation).

Also, the toolmakers’ blind spots are culturally conditioned. For example, Novstion’s decision that their apps will only support rigid 4/4 beats and diatonic minor harmony entirely ignores huge swathes of world musical culture—some of whom could be potential customers.

• edited January 2020

@AudioGus said:

@wim said:

@wim said:

It would be great if we had an iPad daw that could hang. But for now I’m still stuck with the pc.

• Auria Pro.
    • NanoStudio 2.

Thanks, I didn’t know those apps had added tempo and signature capabilities. Why is Cubasis allowing itself to be left in the dust by the competition, and thus encouraging its user base to migrate away? It seems short-sighted.

It’s not as easy as it sounds. And the relative market of people who would pass Cubasis by based on that is almost certainly very small.

Return on Investment. Cost vs. Benefit. Those are business basics.

That’s a fair point, but there‘s a self-fulfilling prophecy risk. If Cubasis corners the beginners’ market while failing to keep up with the competition’s power user features, they risk being branded as a toy-maker. For example, Casio and Peavey are two hardware brands that have made some really good stuff, but many people won’t consider them seriously because of their history of selling cheap entry-level products.

Perhaps selling down-market toy apps while ignoring power users is a viable strategy. Novation seems to have embraced it with their iOS apps. But if Steinberg wants to protect Cubase’s reputation, allowing Cubasis to fall so far behind — while still charging premium prices — seems risky to me.

I think the big code rewrite that just happened was required in order to be able to add significant features moving forward. Not to say it wont take time but I wager it is their intention to make it all grown up at some point. I think the minimum spec on Cubasis 2 was very accommodating to low end devices and as such limited its full potential. Ipad 2 was released in 2011, which is an eternity in mobile years and yes those old 32 bit devices were hellah toys. Anyway, the future of Cubasis 3 on 64bit devices etc is likely much much brighter.... and it will take time.

Yes. And maybe in v3 they used Swift, SwiftUI (the newest cool kid on the block), Metal and other innovations which were not there a decade ago when Cubasis 1 was written.

The biggest advantage Steinberg has is - they could take the code/logic of any module from their Cubase desktop app and... port it to iOS/iPadOS. Plus, they have acquired the IP of MusicStudio recently to accelerate their development. The only challenge they may be having is their small iOS team size (which they mentioned a few times in the past) to meet the feature demand. Imagine if you have a team of just 2-3 people maintaining a huge DAW app that is used all over the world and the app is loved by so many... And relax, Steinberg is NOT going anywhere! They need to stabilize v3 first - before they can sleep!

• edited January 2020

The interesting SwiftUI - hundreds of lines of code can be reduced to just a couple of LoC.

Jump to 2:06:16 in the keynote video -

SwiftUI is not only “Write once and use everywhere” but also “Learn once - use everywhere”. The same code can be used across all platforms - macOS, iOS, iPadOS, tvOS, watchOS. Maybe Steinberg could reverse-port Cubasis back to Mac as a small DAW app one day (like GB-vs-Logic) because Cubase does not have some features that Cubasis has. And maybe they’ll port Cubasis to watchOS too (or at least a Cubasis Remote app) :smile:

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/240

• @wim said:

A company in the business of turning a profit has to choose how to prioritize based on impact on sales. I think you’re underestimating the investment and overestimating the return, especially in context with other priorities.

That doesn’t mean I like it. It just means I understand it.

Anyway, I won’t belabor the point. That’s not what the thread is about anyway.

Yes, as far as I know, Steinberg isn’t advertising their app for film scoring, classical composing, etc.. The desktop app’s little sister works for most pop and dance music, or for sketching ideas that can be elaborated on elsewhere.

There are many well-trained musicians out there whose bread and butter is music all in 4/4. For the price (I paid $25,) Cubasis is a bargain I like for sketching ideas for some kinds of music.

I’ve requested time and tempo tracks in a few iOS apps. That would make them applicable for a wider variety of projects, but apps like Cubasis or Xequence are still useful. I can see the rationale that Steinberg takes in prioritizing what works for the majority of potential iOS customers.

• @MobileMusic when there's a charismatic guy on a stage with lots of people cheering, telling you that his new ideas are gonna make the world 100 times better with 1/100th the effort, always be wary 😉

• LFSLFS
    edited January 2020

Hi all,

After having released Cubasis 2.8.2, we've recieved many complaints about the in-app shop window, which immediately opens after app launch.

While the feature was intended to be included to notify existing users about the availability of the new Cubasis 3 app release, we did not add the feature to force our users buying the new Cubasis 3 app. Nor it was planned, to permanently open the in-app shop window.

Please note that we will release a Cubasis 2.8.3 hotfix update shortly, which will address this problem.

In addition, the team is working on the Cubasis 3 Project Importer and the Cubasis 3 maintenance update.

Best wishes,
    Lars

• Hi @LFS will 2.8.3 still allow me to transfer over all my IAPs to v3 when I change over?

• @FPC said:
    Hi @LFS will 2.8.3 still allow me to transfer over all my IAPs to v3 when I change over?

Hi @FPC,

Yes, the feature to freely transfer existing Cubasis 2 in-app purchases to Cubasis 3 remains unchanged.

Best,
    Lars

• @LFS said:
    Hi all,

After having released Cubasis 2.8.2, we've recieved many complaints about the in-app shop window, which immediately opens after app launch.

While the feature was intended to be included to notify existing users about the availability of the new Cubasis 3 app release, we did not add the feature to force our users buying the new Cubasis 3 app. Nor it was planned, to permanently open the in-app shop window.

Please note that we will release a Cubasis 2.8.3 hotfix update shortly, which will address this problem.

In addition, the team is working on the Cubasis 3 Project Importer and the Cubasis 3 maintenance update.

Best wishes,
    Lars

Hi all,

Please note that the Cubasis 2.8.3 hotfix update is now available:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/36697/cubasis-2-8-3-hotfix-available#latest

Best wishes,
    Lars

• Not sure if it’s been brought up or not, but is there any hope of getting the option to change the icons for user made presets in smaller, as well as an option to make folders/menus to sort the types of samples? Having just a long list of presets is a bit inconvenient. Even worse since sometimes the full title of the preset cannot be displayed in the space available and all it shows is a keyboard icon for every preset....

• I never knew so many people thought a DAW with tempo and time sig. change capabilities was a sign of musical stupidity. I thought they were powerful tools to help the creative process especially in a situation where editing and deliberation were one of the central points of the application. At the risk of sounding like an idiot I go on record as saying tempo and time sig. changes are far from training wheels and whatever other disparaging adjectives some think apply. They are powerful, useful tools and any DAW that includes them is elevated in doing so.

• Here’s why that came up... one of these musical geniuses in here was throwing around his ability to play classical pieces of advanced difficulty and demeaning some of our members and making them seem as if they’re musical morons because they didn’t have the need for advanced time sig and tempo change tools (basically they only need a 4/4 and fixed tempo).

So, I challenged the person(s) stating that if he’s so incredibly advanced, he could simply record his track(s) in one pass and let his soul be his metronome. This is what expert level musicians could do. They don’t need a Teleprompter to read from. In fact, listening to a click track would be more a distraction for a classical or jazz musician because it would be more restrictive actually.

• I don’t normally use Cubasis despite owning it since release. However I had an idea for my current live band and tried to sequence it in cubasis. Yes, a simple idea, nothing crazy and just a few tracks with all built in sounds.

Impressions? Buggy as hell. All sorts, undo freezing, No sound from apps, grid zooms but regions remain the same... nightmare.

I’m sticking with garage band and in no way I am parting with any money for Cubasis 3. Sorry.

iPad Pro 11 latest IOS.

If it was one bug I’d gladly report it to the dev but this is beyond hope.

Sorry for bringing my load out here but the experience was absolutely dreadful with a lot of time and energy wasted.

• @supadom said:
    I don’t normally use Cubasis despite owning it since release. However I had an idea for my current live band and tried to sequence it in cubasis. Yes, a simple idea, nothing crazy and just a few tracks with all built in sounds.

Impressions? Buggy as hell. All sorts, undo freezing, No sound from apps, grid zooms but regions remain the same... nightmare.

I’m sticking with garage band and in no way I am parting with any money for Cubasis 3. Sorry.

iPad Pro 11 latest IOS.

If it was one bug I’d gladly report it to the dev but this is beyond hope.

Sorry for bringing my load out here but the experience was absolutely dreadful with a lot of time and energy wasted.

Which version of Cubasis were you using?

• @supadom said:

So since you are not parting with any money for Cubasis 3 you were having issues with Cubasis 2?

• @cloudswimmer said:

@supadom said:

So since you are not parting with any money for Cubasis 3 you were having issues with Cubasis 2?

Yes

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

M> @AmpApps said:

I never knew so many people thought a DAW with tempo and time sig. change capabilities was a sign of musical stupidity.

I don’t think anyone said anything like that. The objection was to the implication that not using tempo and time signature changes was a sign of immaturity and lack of musicianship.

They are powerful, useful tools and any DAW that includes them is elevated in doing so.

Of course they are. No one has said that either. They’ve just said that dismissing a DAW as a “toy” just because its lacking them, is silly.

• edited February 2020

@supadom said:

@cloudswimmer said:

@supadom said:

Yes

Did you say Cubasis 2 is buggy as hell and unusable? Using v2 for years and found no bugs - rock solid.

Or did you use Cubasis 3? You also said you were not going to spend on v3 - not sure how you used buggy v3 if you have not purchased it yet.

A bit confusing... :neutral:

• Maybe his friend (in his band) has C3 so they tried it. 🤔

• I’m so annoyed at the way Steinberg is handling the Cubasis 3 release. First it’s released before it’s ready and then they treat the mostly defective product as business as usual. There hasn’t been an update yet and there is apparently no plan about telling us when to expect it and what will be fixed. This is really the first time I’ve been critical of them. I really feel as though they don’t care about us. I’m disappointed, mad and sad... I didn’t mind paying for the new version. However, it’s the way they’ve treated us since.

• edited February 2020

The love that Lars has shown in this forum is only rivaled by Rim with Auria. No idea how you could say that. Try using Gadget since it’s inception and get minimal to no response in their own forum. Then you’ll release how Lars is the real deal.

• @lsd87 said:
    I’m so annoyed at the way Steinberg is handling the Cubasis 3 release. First it’s released before it’s ready and then they treat the mostly defective product as business as usual. There hasn’t been an update yet and there is apparently no plan about telling us when to expect it and what will be fixed. This is really the first time I’ve been critical of them. I really feel as though they don’t care about us. I’m disappointed, mad and sad... I didn’t mind paying for the new version. However, it’s the way they’ve treated us since.

Apparently you missed some postings. They already said they are preparing their next update. They will never tell what will be in next update or when it will be released. It’s nothing new.

Bugs are temporary in software apps. At least they released a new version on iPhone. Why can’t you use v2 until then?

• @MobileMusic said:

@supadom said:

@cloudswimmer said:

@supadom said:

Yes

Did you say Cubasis 2 is buggy as hell and unusable? Using v2 for years and found no bugs - rock solid.

Or did you use Cubasis 3? You also said you were not going to spend on v3 - not sure how you used buggy v3 if you have not purchased it yet.

+1

• @cloudswimmer said:

@MobileMusic said:

@supadom said:

@cloudswimmer said:

@supadom said:

Yes

+1

Yes I’m using v2 and yes it is buggy as hell. I am glad it is working out for you, unfortunately I find it unusable.

• @MobileMusic said:

@lsd87 said:
    I’m so annoyed at the way Steinberg is handling the Cubasis 3 release. First it’s released before it’s ready and then they treat the mostly defective product as business as usual. There hasn’t been an update yet and there is apparently no plan about telling us when to expect it and what will be fixed. This is really the first time I’ve been critical of them. I really feel as though they don’t care about us. I’m disappointed, mad and sad... I didn’t mind paying for the new version. However, it’s the way they’ve treated us since.

Apparently you missed some postings. They already said they are preparing their next update. They will never tell what will be in next update or when it will be released. It’s nothing new.

Bugs are temporary in software apps. At least they released a new version on iPhone. Why can’t you use v2 until then?

Maybe my expectations are misguided. I know it’s nothing new that they don’t tell you when they will release or what they’re fixing, but in my opinion this new version was so bad that something other than business as usual was needed. What we got was the same old same old. I’m just frustrated.