Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 3 for iPhone and iPad available...

Comments

• edited January 2020

@LFS said:

@klownshed said:
    @LFS Apologies if this has been asked before: I'm sure it has, and I've tried via search but couldn't find a specific response -- and there have been a lot of pages and threads about LE over the years!

My question is: When Cubasis 3 LE is released, will it still be upgradable to the full version via IAP with supported hardware, or is it limited to v2.x?

Also, if I just unlock LE v 2.8.3 now anyway with compatible hardware attached, do I just need the hardware to unlock it? I assume I would be able to use Cubasis LE without hardware attached once the upgrade has been purchased?

Hi @klownshed,

Thank you for your message.

Cubasis LE 3 is planned to be released at the end of March 2020.

We plan to add a similar IAP Transfer option to Cubasis LE 3, to allow transferring Cubasis LE 2 in-app purchases to Cubasis LE 3. This option is not planned for the Cubasis LE 2 Full Feature Set in-app purchase.

We also plan to add a new Cubasis LE 3 Full Feature Set IAP, that allows to update Cubasis LE 3 with all features of Cubasis 3.
    Here, the app name and app icon remains to be Cubasis LE 3, as it is the case with Cubasis LE 2.

Also, if I just unlock LE v 2.8.3 now anyway with compatible hardware attached, do I just need the hardware to unlock it? I > assume I would be able to use Cubasis LE without hardware attached once the upgrade has been purchased?

Once Cubasis LE is unlocked via a compatible hardware, it can be used without having a device connected.
    Once the app is reinstalled or similar, the compatible device is required to be connected again, to unlock Cubasis LE from demo mode.

The installed Full Feature Set IAP does not require any device to be connected.
    When re-installing Cubasis LE, the "Restore Purchases" option allows to immediately re-install the Full Feature Set (without having to unlock Cubasis LE first).

Hope that answers all your questions!

Best,
    Lars

Cool. Thanks for your reply.

I assume from your response that all the currently supported hardware able to unlock LE will also be able to unlock Cubasis LE v3?

• @LFS Thanks for turning up at the coal face :) It's good to know that work is ongoing. I know that it has been the team's style to suddenly appear (without hype!) with new updates in the past, but in this situation where the new version has proved to be more challenging than you hoped, letting folks know that your guys are hard at work is important.

As for your team, remind them: You can either be consumed or forged, the fire doesn't care. :smiley: )

• Is anybody else a little thrown off when they go to choose an AUV3 effect in Cubasis 3 but the list is totally alphabetical? In Cubasis 2 the effects are grouped together i.e. all the Eventide effects are together, all the Fab-Filter effects are together, all the Tonebooster effects are together, etc. Do you like the new way they are listed in Cubasis 3 better? I definitely like the old Cubasis 2 listing method better .. it’s much quicker to find the effect I want. Probably a good exercise for the brain though switching between C2 and C3 🤓

• @cloudswimmer said:
    Is anybody else a little thrown off when they go to choose an AUV3 effect in Cubasis 3 but the list is totally alphabetical? In Cubasis 2 the effects are grouped together i.e. all the Eventide effects are together, all the Fab-Filter effects are together, all the Tonebooster effects are together, etc. Do you like the new way they are listed in Cubasis 3 better? I definitely like the old Cubasis 2 listing method better .. it’s much quicker to find the effect I want. Probably a good exercise for the brain though switching between C2 and C3 🤓

I prefer alphabetical...makes more sense when I’m looking for stuff...

...I’m not looking for a developer I’m looking for a certain effect by its title...maybe this is why...

• I have to say the app is awesome on iPhone...almost get the same feel as desktop...some great AUv3’s out these days also...things are really starting to come together..

• edited January 2020

@DaveMagoo said:

@cloudswimmer said:
    Is anybody else a little thrown off when they go to choose an AUV3 effect in Cubasis 3 but the list is totally alphabetical? In Cubasis 2 the effects are grouped together i.e. all the Eventide effects are together, all the Fab-Filter effects are together, all the Tonebooster effects are together, etc. Do you like the new way they are listed in Cubasis 3 better? I definitely like the old Cubasis 2 listing method better .. it’s much quicker to find the effect I want. Probably a good exercise for the brain though switching between C2 and C3 🤓

I prefer alphabetical...makes more sense when I’m looking for stuff...

...I’m not looking for a developer I’m looking for a certain effect by its title...maybe this is why...

Interesting Dave, thanks for chiming in. Guess it’ll just be a matter of my brain readjusting. I’m sure when Cubasis 3 is finally running smooth and we’re all using it exclusively .. going back to Cubasis 2 will be confusing lol.

• Anyone know if the FF plugins I purchased within Auria Pro could be utilized in Cubasis?

• @DaveMagoo said:
    I have to say the app is awesome on iPhone...almost get the same feel as desktop...some great AUv3’s out these days also...things are really starting to come together..

Yeah for sure .. My main DAW computer has been down for six months now, needs some upgrades, but I’m finding little motivation to get it going again with all the great IOS stuff now at our finger tips.

• edited January 2020

@caspergomez said:
    Anyone know if the FF plugins I purchased within Auria Pro could be utilized in Cubasis?

You have to repurchase them as AU plugins from the App Store.

PS. Toneboosters plugins may be a much cheaper viable alternative.

• @AudioGus said:

@caspergomez said:
    Anyone know if the FF plugins I purchased within Auria Pro could be utilized in Cubasis?

And I’ll add I actually like the Toneboosters Equalizer better than my Fabfilter Pro-Q .. but’s of course it’s subjective.

• edited January 2020

@cloudswimmer said:

@AudioGus said:

@caspergomez said:

And I’ll add I actually like the Toneboosters Equalizer better than my Fabfilter Pro-Q .. but’s of course it’s subjective.

Is the Toneboosters EQ dynamic like ProQ3? Thinking it may be a good desktop alternative given the huge price difference.

• @AudioGus said:

@cloudswimmer said:

@AudioGus said:

@caspergomez said:

Is the Toneboosters EQ dynamic like ProQ3? Thinking it may be a good desktop alternative given the huge price difference.

Damn guys... didn’t think I’d ever find a competitor to FF (especially at a fraction of the cost). I hope you guys are right. Even if the quality close to FF, that would be amazing. Appreciate the suggestion... I would have rebought all the FF stuff for C3, but I’ll definitely first check out TB.

While we’re on the topic, how about TB reverb, does it compare to FF Pro-R? Anyone have Morphit? That’s a hot concept and may have to get that as well since I’m always in all my headphones.

• @caspergomez the toneboosters reverb is superb !

• @caspergomez said:

@AudioGus said:

@cloudswimmer said:

@AudioGus said:

@caspergomez said:

Damn guys... didn’t think I’d ever find a competitor to FF (especially at a fraction of the cost). I hope you guys are right. Even if the quality close to FF, that would be amazing. Appreciate the suggestion... I would have rebought all the FF stuff for C3, but I’ll definitely first check out TB.

While we’re on the topic, how about TB reverb, does it compare to FF Pro-R? Anyone have Morphit? That’s a hot concept and may have to get that as well since I’m always in all my headphones.

not sure if its an issue for others, for me GUI is important

TB GUI is absolutely non appealing to me. On iphone its an eye killer
    same goes for DDMF, painful to turns knobies

• @hisdudeness said:

@caspergomez said:

@AudioGus said:

@cloudswimmer said:

@AudioGus said:

@caspergomez said:

not sure if its an issue for others, for me GUI is important

TB GUI is absolutely non appealing to me. On iphone its an eye killer
    same goes for DDMF, painful to turns knobies

I think it’s inherent in the translation to iPhone...I personally don’t find it to be an issue at all...also if this is the trade off to get it on iPhone I’m all in

• @Janosax said:
    Deleted

I've come close a few times but am optimistic that fixes will come. ;) :trollface:

• edited January 2020

@AudioGus said:

@Janosax said:
    Deleted

I've come close a few times but am optimistic that fixes will come. ;) :trollface:

I’ve deleted my post just to test a few things, but yes AU don’t load correctly mostly with Audio Damage Replicant 2/Dubstation2 Projects. Perforator too has lead to sound crackling issues on project load. Perhaps an issue with bpm synced AU? GarageBand and other AU dawless hosts have no issues with those AU. Cubasis 3 has lot of potential, hope for a fix too :*

• @Janosax said:

@AudioGus said:

@Janosax said:
    Deleted

I’ve deleted my post just to test a few things, but yes AU don’t load correctly mostly with Audio Damage Replicant 2/Dubstation2 Projects. Perforator too has lead to sound crackling issues on project load. Perhaps an issue with bpm synced AU? GarageBand and other AU dawless hosts have no issues with those AU. Cubasis 3 has lot of potential, hope for a fix too :*

Given the massive amount of bugs people have been reporting I am pretty much bracing myself for none of the bugs I want fixed being addressed within the next two updates... lol/sob/hungover/etc

• @AudioGus said:

@Janosax said:

@AudioGus said:

@Janosax said:
    Deleted

Given the massive amount of bugs people have been reporting I am pretty much bracing myself for none of the bugs I want fixed being addressed within the next two updates... lol/sob/hungover/etc

True, waiting one or two years for a totally fixed app is not a smooth process for me too :'(

• If you load a bunch of Toneboosters instances, EQs, Verbs, and Comps, #1 do they tax processor (any more or less than using Steinberg’s stuff)? and #2 do they insert same way you’d insert a C3
    EQ/Rev/Comp, and #3 would you say all three mentioned are all superior to those that come with C3? I mean, once I get my new Apple stuff I’m going to get every TB avail... just curious about all of your perspectives. Thanks

• edited January 2020

@caspergomez said:
    If you load a bunch of Toneboosters instances, EQs, Verbs, and Comps, #1 do they tax processor (any more or less than using Steinberg’s stuff)? and #2 do they insert same way you’d insert a C3
    EQ/Rev/Comp, and #3 would you say all three mentioned are all superior to those that come with C3? I mean, once I get my new Apple stuff I’m going to get every TB avail... just curious about all of your perspectives. Thanks

Different league IMHO. For example, the TB EQ has many features that the Cubasis EQ does not have, such as many more filter types (including flat-top filters and high-order filters), being able to run filters dynamically, non-linear filtering modes, mid/side modes, an integrated spectrum analyzer, an AI assistant, and many many more goodies.

Same is true I think for the Waves IAP offerings. IMHO those are nowhere close to what the Toneboosters AUv3 plugins provide in terms of quality and usability. Heck you wonder why Steinberg ( @LFS ) doesn't provide these TB gems as IAPs instead of the dated Waves plugins?

• Thanks for your input. Btw, what’s the big difference between offering as IAP and AUv3? I mean, do they function differently or consume processor differently?

• @DavidM said:

@caspergomez said:
    If you load a bunch of Toneboosters instances, EQs, Verbs, and Comps, #1 do they tax processor (any more or less than using Steinberg’s stuff)? and #2 do they insert same way you’d insert a C3

Different league IMHO. For example, the TB EQ has many features that the Cubasis EQ does not have, such as many more filter types (including flat-top filters and high-order filters), being able to run filters dynamically, non-linear filtering modes, mid/side modes, an integrated spectrum analyzer, an AI assistant, and many many more goodies.

Same is true I think for the Waves IAP offerings. IMHO those are nowhere close to what the Toneboosters AUv3 plugins provide in terms of quality and usability. Heck you wonder why Steinberg ( @LFS ) doesn't provide these TB gems as IAPs instead of the dated Waves plugins?

The waves might seem dated but still do their job,light on cpu and do sound great (audiotrack).A significant upgrade over the stock solutions.Using the more advanced stuff (like TB) were needed and the (waves) workhorses for the simple tasks.

@caspergomez

native plugins (vs AU) are always a tad lighter on cpu and (more important) more stable/reliable than external stuff from a lot of different developer.You can run a lot (depending on device of course) of native stuff usually without wasting a thought when the building would collapse ;)

• I gotcha. Have you ever run several instances of ODYSSEi in Cubasis without stammering?

• @caspergomez said:
    I gotcha. Have you ever run several instances of ODYSSEi in Cubasis without stammering?

Hi Casper, you can only run one instance of ODYSSEi in Cubasis at a time as it’s an IAA only .. not AUV3. What I do with ODYSSEi is just record a track with it, freeze the track, then unfreeze the track and move it’s .wav audio file down to a blank audio track, then repeat the process with a new patch, etc. etc.. You can get a whole ODYSSEi symphony going doing it that way 😜

• Oh i gotcha! So when you freeze, it creates a .wav that you have right there in the arrange window and no need to go searching for it? I was imagining I’d have to export (mixdown) the track as audio and re-import the way I’d do in Gadget. Btw where do Audio files get stored inherently?

• @caspergomez said:
    Oh i gotcha! So when you freeze, it creates a .wav that you have right there in the arrange window and no need to go searching for it? I was imagining I’d have to export (mixdown) the track as audio and re-import the way I’d do in Gadget. Btw where do Audio files get stored inherently?

Yes correct, it’s very easy and works great, you just create several empty audio tracks there in the arranger window then after you unfreeze each take drag that .wav down to one of the empty audio tracks and start again with a different Odyssey patch. Let me know if you have any trouble and I’ll do a video demonstration for you .. but I think you’ll figure it all out 👌

• Nice! Can’t wait to use it... need to decide on my upgrade paths for my devices. Pretty sure I’m getting the 11 Pro Max but not sure about upping the Air2 to an iPad Pro, or waiting to get a MacBook Pro 16”.

• @LFS said:

Tempo/signature track is on our list for the future, but not included in v3.
    Please refer to the first entries of this post where I've listed all new features, as well as the improvements.

Hope that helps!

Best,
    Lars

No, it’s a huge oversight, one you’ve been ignoring for years now. It’s like making a synth that only plays the white keys. That may be fine for the “generative” monkey clickers (not that there’s anything wrong with that), but it shows little interest in serving actual creative musicians. I am very disappointed.

• All bow down to the MIGHTY CREATIVE MUSICIAN, he speaks the WORD OF GOD! :p