Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cubasis 3 for iPhone and iPad available...

Comments

• @DaveMagoo said:

@caspergomez said:
    Can’t wait to sit down with Cubase this week. I actually tried to set aside my initial feeling towards Ableton and give it another try. Installed 10 Lite, and connected my Launchkey 49. First of all, it immediately brought back negative feelings when I saw it open with Mixer only window and no Arrange window. Wtf? Not to mention, the workspace overall just feels so disjointed or chaotic. So I managed to figure out how to open a second window, to start tinkering with a sound. Realized I had to head to Prefs to set up midi. Fine. Go in, select LK from Control Surface yet INPUT is greyed out. I disconnect and reconnect LK to no avail. I power cycle Ableton... nope. I spend 20 min on google searching a solution... nope. Man, i really despise Ableton with a passion. LoL

https://novationmusic.com/en/launchkey-ableton-users

Did u connect with usb? If so it automatically configured ready for use...on my Mac anyhoo

Win10, factory restored. USB

• @caspergomez said:

@DaveMagoo said:

@caspergomez said:
    Can’t wait to sit down with Cubase this week. I actually tried to set aside my initial feeling towards Ableton and give it another try. Installed 10 Lite, and connected my Launchkey 49. First of all, it immediately brought back negative feelings when I saw it open with Mixer only window and no Arrange window. Wtf? Not to mention, the workspace overall just feels so disjointed or chaotic. So I managed to figure out how to open a second window, to start tinkering with a sound. Realized I had to head to Prefs to set up midi. Fine. Go in, select LK from Control Surface yet INPUT is greyed out. I disconnect and reconnect LK to no avail. I power cycle Ableton... nope. I spend 20 min on google searching a solution... nope. Man, i really despise Ableton with a passion. LoL

https://novationmusic.com/en/launchkey-ableton-users

Did u connect with usb? If so it automatically configured ready for use...on my Mac anyhoo

Win10, factory restored. USB

I would drop a line to Novation support...they are pretty helpful

• edited January 2020

@LFS Apologies if this has been asked before: I'm sure it has, and I've tried via search but couldn't find a specific response -- and there have been a lot of pages and threads about LE over the years!

My question is: When Cubasis 3 LE is released, will it still be upgradable to the full version via IAP with supported hardware, or is it limited to v2.x?

Also, if I just unlock LE v 2.8.3 now anyway with compatible hardware attached, do I just need the hardware to unlock it? I assume I would be able to use Cubasis LE without hardware attached once the upgrade has been purchased?

• Any idea how I would get my midi controller to control say the cutoff of the filter in Micrologue?

• wimwim
    edited January 2020

@klownshed said:
    @LFS Apologies if this has been asked before: I'm sure it has, and I've tried via search but couldn't find a specific response -- and there have been a lot of pages and threads about LE over the years!

My question is: When Cubasis 3 LE is released, will it still be upgradable to the full version via IAP with supported hardware, or is it limited to v2.x?

Can't answer that one. I think Steinberg is still working out the details. For instance, they have said they will try, but aren't certain whether they will be able to, transfer IAPs from LE2 to LE3. So, at this point, I wouldn't suggest buying new IAPs in LE2 until the situation is clear.

Also, if I just unlock LE v 2.8.3 now anyway with compatible hardware attached, do I just need the hardware to unlock it? I assume I would be able to use Cubasis LE without hardware attached once the upgrade has been purchased?

That is correct. You won't need the hardware attached after the unlock.

• @LFS said:

@krassmann said:
    Sorry, I can't follow you on this road, although I am a Cubase user since 1987. Now being an iPad musician, I just bought Cubasis 2 some weeks ago for the full price. Just to find out that it neither supports midi controllers for the mixer nor syncs to Ableton Live start/stop. This renders it pretty much unusable for my AUM centred workflow and my Midi controllers. Finally it made me switch to Xequence 2 that syncs well when using a combo of AB3 and AUM. Since then I use cubasis only for mastering in the end.

Hi @krassmann,

Cubasis 3 was rewritten from scratch and developed next to maintaining Cubasis 2 over the last years.
    It's a brand-new app, not a simple update from Cubasis 1/2.

Midi controller support is on our list for future updates.
    Ableton Link as well, but this might be more complicated to fulfil.

Best wishes,
    Lars

I wouldn't hold your breath on MIDI controller support, folks. Lars gave me this exact response in Nov 2017.

• @LFS can you comment on how to map my midi controller to control cc’s for say cut off, resonance etc in Cubasis 3?

• @chisel316 said:

@LFS said:

@krassmann said:
    Sorry, I can't follow you on this road, although I am a Cubase user since 1987. Now being an iPad musician, I just bought Cubasis 2 some weeks ago for the full price. Just to find out that it neither supports midi controllers for the mixer nor syncs to Ableton Live start/stop. This renders it pretty much unusable for my AUM centred workflow and my Midi controllers. Finally it made me switch to Xequence 2 that syncs well when using a combo of AB3 and AUM. Since then I use cubasis only for mastering in the end.

Hi @krassmann,

Cubasis 3 was rewritten from scratch and developed next to maintaining Cubasis 2 over the last years.
    It's a brand-new app, not a simple update from Cubasis 1/2.

Midi controller support is on our list for future updates.
    Ableton Link as well, but this might be more complicated to fulfil.

Best wishes,
    Lars

I wouldn't hold your breath on MIDI controller support, folks. Lars gave me this exact response in Nov 2017.

What aspect of “midi controller” is not supported? Is this just c3? Or also c10.5?

• @wim said:

@klownshed said:

Can't answer that one. I think Steinberg is still working out the details. For instance, they have said they will try, but aren't certain whether they will be able to, transfer IAPs from LE2 to LE3. So, at this point, I wouldn't suggest buying new IAPs in LE2 until the situation is clear.

That is correct. You won't need the hardware attached after the unlock.

Cool thanks. I don’t think I will buy it but I’m prone to crazy impulse purchases!

It is quite a good deal. But yeah. I don’t need yet another DAW anyway! :-)

Note to self: Stop buying apps. You have way, way too many already.

• @DaveMagoo said:
    @LFS can you comment on how to map my midi controller to control cc’s for say cut off, resonance etc in Cubasis 3?

You can’t do it “via” Cubasis. The AU you’re using has to support MIDI learn, or you have to know the MIDI CCs for the parameters you want to control. It doesn’t have an internal MIDI learn system like AUM.

• @papertiger said:

@DaveMagoo said:
    @LFS can you comment on how to map my midi controller to control cc’s for say cut off, resonance etc in Cubasis 3?

You can’t do it “via” Cubasis. The AU you’re using has to support MIDI learn, or you have to know the MIDI CCs for the parameters you want to control. It doesn’t have an internal MIDI learn system like AUM.

I will give it a whirl tomorrow with a bit of focus on this and maybe using AUM or Ableton to support the effort

• This is an old photoshop mockup based on a suggestion from @Samu for auto-expanding the selected track when zoomed out. This would be great!

(Ignore the incorrect track numbers)

• edited January 2020

At the risk of being painted as a gloom ‘n doomer I am going to say:
    This was a damaging release strategy for Steinberg.

There is no excuse. Who is responsible is not in my purview but I feel confident in saying it’s not the users.

I had the highest regard for Steinberg and the Cubasis lineage for many of the reasons ultimately negated by this clusterf*ck.

In my zeal and excitement over this release I rebought all my IAP’S after not seeing an upgrade path in Cubasis 3. I bought Cubasis 3 as an early adopter BECAUSE I believed it would be better vetted before release and not hastily shoved out in a marketing grab. I was wrong.

My sunny disposition assumed that things WORKING in 2.X would be WORKING in 3.X. Let’s just say that makes ME the idiot.

So, here I am paying $50.00 US to beta test.

Not impressed, sorry.

As of right now in real world use I am in no different a position than I was BEFORE I bought the user beta. All the same DAW apps retain the same status in both pluses and minuses.

The best I can hope for now is the trickle down of “bug” fixes to bring Cubasis 3 up to Cubasis 2 reliability standards...someday.

Whomever thought this to be a good move within the Steinberg management could NOT possibly have had end users as their concern. If so, I would LOVE to hear that logic.

• @AudioGus said:

This is an old photoshop mockup based on a suggestion from @Samu for auto-expanding the selected track when zoomed out. This would be great!

(Ignore the incorrect track numbers)

Oh that would be neato-torpedo.

• @AmpApps said:
    At the risk of being painted as a gloom ‘n doomer I am going to say:
    This was a damaging release strategy for Steinberg.

There is no excuse. Who is responsible is not in my purview but I feel confident in saying it’s not the users.

I had the highest regard for Steinberg and the Cubasis lineage for many of the reasons ultimately negated by this clusterf*ck.

In my zeal and excitement over this release I rebought all my IAP’S after not seeing an upgrade path in Cubasis 3. I bought Cubasis 3 as an early adopter BECAUSE I believed it would be better vetted before release and not hastily shoved out in a marketing grab. I was wrong.

My sunny disposition assumed that things WORKING in 2.X would be WORKING in 3.X. Let’s just say that makes ME the idiot.

So, here I am paying $50.00 US to beta test.

Not impressed, sorry.

As of right now in real world use I am in no different a position than I was BEFORE I bought the user beta. All the same DAW apps retain the same status in both pluses and minuses.

The best I can hope for now is the trickle down of “bug” fixes to bring Cubasis 3 up to Cubasis 2 reliability standards...someday.

Whomever thought this to be a good move within the Steinberg management could NOT possibly have had end users as their concern. If so, I would LOVE to hear that logic.

just give it a few years and Cubasis 3 will be fine 😉

On a more serious note, I share your frustration. It‘s one thing to charge 50 $ for only a handful of features, but it‘s another thing to release an unusable product ...

• Hoping any Cubasis 3 user could answer this question but if not hopefully @LFS could tell me

In the current version of Cubasis 3, when you import/paste an audio loop does it automatically time stretch to the current tempo?

Does it automatically time stretch to the correct speed if you change the tempo of the project after the audio file is imported?

Also I saw something in the big report about ‘hiccups’ at the beginning of loops- what does this mean? Is it a problem for all users or only specific circumstances?

Thanks so much!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Good luck because Apple has been putting a huge wall for refunds. It’s really getting bad.

@d4d0ug said:
    I holding out a little longer before I for a refund. Really hope the team can turn around some fixes sharpish.

• edited January 2020

@d4d0ug said:
    I holding out a little longer before I for a refund. Really hope the team can turn around some fixes sharpish.

Aww, they'll get 'er all patched up in a couple... I mean a few... aww, they'll get 'er all patched up.

• edited January 2020

Just bought it and initial tests on iPhone 7 Plus are quite good. Midi effects, automation, freezing and mixdown works quite well here, even with Replicant 2 and other AU effects . Need to go deeper now.

But here is a first issue: punch in punch out don’t seem to work at all. Anybody else?

Edit: if you record audio in overdub/multi takes mode, how do you choose between takes? Do you have to move them??

• Anyone using iVCS with C3?

• edited January 2020

Hang in there .. it’s gonna be good.

• @Janosax said:
    Edit: if you record audio in overdub/multi takes mode, how do you choose between takes? Do you have to move them??

Yes, move them

• @MobileMusic said:

@Janosax said:

Yes, move them

GB container system is much superior. Cubasis should do something similar!!

• @Patrik said:
    I probably missed the answer to this question, but here goes:

Is there a way to transfer the purchased IAPs from iPad to the iPhone version?
    From v2 to v3 within the same iPad worked nicely.

Hi @Patrik,

These are the steps to transfer your previous in-app purchases from Cubasis 2 to Cubasis 3:

• Make sure Cubasis 2.8.2 is installed on your iPad
    • Launch Cubasis 3 and open the in-app shop
    • Follow the instructions shown in the IAP Transfer pop-up

Once completed, the IAPs are stored in your App Store user account and should become available in the iPhone version as well.

Hope that helps!

Best wishes,
    Lars

• @Paa89 said:
    Hi there guys, here is a new beat I made entirely in Cubasis 3.
    Check the description to see the apps I used.
    Video of the process will also be available soon, just need to get my voice over right.
    Hope you enjoy it.

Hi @Paa89,

A happy and healthy new year to you!

Did enjoy watching your "Making A Beat in Cubasis 3" clip a few days ago!
    Thank you for producing and sharing these clips!

Keep up the great work!

Best,
    Lars

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@GrimLucky said:

@Patrik said:
    I probably missed the answer to this question, but here goes:

Is there a way to transfer the purchased IAPs from iPad to the iPhone version?
    From v2 to v3 within the same iPad worked nicely.

If you’ve already transferred IAPs on iPad you should be able to open the store on the iPhone version and hit restore purchases, I think that’s what I did to get them on iPhone.

I did the plug in bundle transfer and it shows up on iPad in C3 but not iPhone. @LFS

Hi @ipadbeatmaking,

These are the steps to freely transfer previous Cubasis 2 in-app purchases to Cubasis 3:

• Make sure Cubasis 2.8.2 is installed on your iPad
    • Launch Cubasis 3 and open the in-app shop
    • Follow the instructions shown in the IAP Transfer pop-up

Once completed, the in-app purchases are added to your App Store account and should be available on the iPhone version as well.

This didn’t work for me on the iphone. I ended up accidentally buying a plug in Bundle that should’ve been transferred 🙄

I suggest to get in touch with Apple, asking them for a refund in this case.

Hope that helps.

Best,
    Lars

• @Crabman said:
    I stopped using it for now.The unpredictability gets in the way of my creative flow.For example a project (well,more a small idea..) that worked in one session crashed twice the next session just because i tapped on an empty space in the project/arranger screen.And it never saves the last state when it crashes.I don't like to worry and think twice about every single step i'm doing while trying to be creative.Still confident those things will get squashed over time though.

Hi @Crabman,

Thank you for your message.

Do you have steps available for us, or a project share which allows us to reproduce your crash problem?
    This would be of great help for our engineers to solve the issue!

Thanks,
    Lars

• LFSLFS
    edited January 2020

@klownshed said:

Hi @klownshed,

Cubasis LE 3 is planned to be released at the end of March 2020.

We plan to add a similar IAP Transfer option to Cubasis LE 3, to allow transferring Cubasis LE 2 in-app purchases to Cubasis LE 3. This option is not planned for the Cubasis LE 2 Full Feature Set in-app purchase.

We also plan to add a new Cubasis LE 3 Full Feature Set IAP, that allows to update Cubasis LE 3 with all features of Cubasis 3.
    Here, the app name and app icon remains to be Cubasis LE 3, as it is the case with Cubasis LE 2.

Also, if I just unlock LE v 2.8.3 now anyway with compatible hardware attached, do I just need the hardware to unlock it? I > assume I would be able to use Cubasis LE without hardware attached once the upgrade has been purchased?

Once Cubasis LE is unlocked via a compatible hardware, it can be used without having a device connected.
    Once the app is reinstalled or similar, the compatible device is required to be connected again, to unlock Cubasis LE from demo mode.

The installed Full Feature Set IAP does not require any device to be connected.
    When re-installing Cubasis LE, the "Restore Purchases" option allows to immediately re-install the Full Feature Set (without having to unlock Cubasis LE first).

Hope that answers all your questions!

Best,
    Lars

• @annahahn said:
    Hoping any Cubasis 3 user could answer this question but if not hopefully @LFS could tell me

In the current version of Cubasis 3, when you import/paste an audio loop does it automatically time stretch to the current tempo?

Does it automatically time stretch to the correct speed if you change the tempo of the project after the audio file is imported?

Also I saw something in the big report about ‘hiccups’ at the beginning of loops- what does this mean? Is it a problem for all users or only specific circumstances?

Thanks so much!

Hi @annahahn,

Time-stretch works similar in Cubasis 2 and Cubasis 3.

Drum loops from our factory library (Media/Audio/Drum Loops), already have their dedicated bpm information embedded in the file. When importing these, all it takes is to set time-stretch to "Auto" to make them follow the tempo of your song.

If you import your own audio files where the tempo could not be detected, simply double tap the file to open it in the Audio Editor. Here, please enter the bpm information manually, by double tapping the bpm button located top right. Once done, please proceed with the steps mentioned above.

Hope that helps.

Best,
    Lars