Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Digitone + iOS Family

After almost a year and a half of pining for this device i pulled the trigger and got one. All i can say is that so far it is more than i expected or imagined. I just love Elektron gear and way of making music...it just fits my brain.

It’s still early days but so far it’s been a joy to use in ModStep and NanoStudio 2. Hope to post some new experiments in FM this week.

Would love to hear others stories and experiences with this piece of kit.

Cheers👊🏼™️

Comments

• Love the Digitone, one of my all time favorite synths. (I'm a sucker for FM though). Curious why you are not using the sequencer in either the Octa or Digi to sequence iPad apps?

• edited December 2019

@SanMateo said:
    Love the Digitone, one of my all time favorite synths. (I'm a sucker for FM though). Curious why you are not using the sequencer in either the Octa or Digi to sequence iPad apps?

Honestly, was just testing out my setup and wanted to make sure everything was wired for midi over USB 😬

• You know I have not tried that with my ipad/digi, interesting. Does it work?

• Fabulous synth! Its a future classic for sure. With 4 midi tracks, its an excellent companion to the ipad.
    Enjoy🤙🏼

• I’ve had good luck using my DigiTakt as a “controller”/front end for the iPad. 8 tracks of MIDI sequencing, and 8 MIDI CCs and an LFO per track!

And since you need a damn sound card or dongle to listen to the audio anyway, I can record it into my iPad using the Jam+. Easy!

• @SanMateo said:
    You know I have not tried that with my ipad/digi, interesting. Does it work?

It works great so far. Here’s a quick little test setup to get AUM to set MidiClock on the DigiTone so i could get GrooveBox synced via AbletonLink:

• Very cool.

• @echoopera

I'd recommend this video course when learning DigiTone.

Thavius Beck is an excellent tutor.

There's 20 videos in the course. You can watch 5 free previews a day, so no need to subscribe if it's not your thing. I think you may get 5 free view previews at both ASK Video and MACPRO video sites. There's also an app version of just this course (£6.99).

The first 3 videos are also available on YouTube...

https://macprovideo.com/course/digitone-demystified
    https://ask.video/course/digitone-demystified
    https://apps.apple.com/bh/app/elektrons-digitone-demystified/id1390759475

• I love using my DN, 0Coast, and Virus C with the iPad. I had an OT and now I'm trying to get another one in exchange for my A4 (with modifications). Running the DN through FX or sequencing with the Rozetta suite is great. I wish there were a FM app that operated like the DN. NFM seems to be close in how it is organized, though, so that is kind of holding me over when I'm away from the studio.

• edited December 2019

@slicetwo KQ Dixie is perfect for this. I've created an AUM template using 4 instances for KQ Dixie for FM synths (Digitone) and 4 tracks for drums using AudioLayer (Digitakt). It's kept me from buying either and make most of my iPad.

KQ is especially great because it can import DX7 sysex. To emulate Digitone, it's best to use 2 operators only and add a filter like JAF collection. Plus FX etc.

A lot of the tracks on my Instagram are using this hybrid setup: https://www.instagram.com/aux.mux

• @auxmux said:
    @slicetwo KQ Dixie is perfect for this. I've created an AUM template using 4 instances for KQ Dixie for FM synths (Digitone) and 4 tracks for drums using AudioLayer (Digitakt). It's kept me from buying either and make most of my iPad.

KQ is especially great because it can import DX7 sysex. To emulate Digitone, it's best to use 2 operators only and add a filter like JAF collection. Plus FX etc.

A lot of the tracks on my Instagram are using this hybrid setup: https://www.instagram.com/aux.mux

I just can't get down with KQ. I don't like the interface at all. I really like how NFM makes it easy to navigate and see all the operator sends and levels in one place. I follow your IG and dig what you do.

• edited December 2019

Elektron did a beautiful thing making an fm synth not too overwhelming yet deeply creative.
    An app similar would be killer⚡️

• @slicetwo said:

@auxmux said:

I just can't get down with KQ. I don't like the interface at all. I really like how NFM makes it easy to navigate and see all the operator sends and levels in one place. I follow your IG and dig what you do.

Ah, yeah, it takes some getting used to. Cool, thanks, didn't realize that, what's your account?

• I'd say that Obsidian (NS2) is the FM synth that comes closest to the Digitone, both in usability and in endless modulation possibilities. You have 3x3 FM operators per instance and virtually unlimited tracks.

• edited December 2019

@auxmux said:

Nice stuff. Followed!

• @SpookyZoo said:

@auxmux said:

Nice stuff. Followed!

Thanks! Ditto.

• @auxmux said:

@slicetwo said:

@auxmux said:

Ah, yeah, it takes some getting used to. Cool, thanks, didn't realize that, what's your account?

I have an account just for following bands. I don't put it out there as I dont post on it.

• edited December 2019

@SpookyZoo thanks for the info. Just picked up the video in the App Store

Would love to hear/see how everyone is using the DN with their setup.

I’m in love with this device. It’s just a joy to use. Feeding Factory into the DN with AUM running master clock so i can get drums from GrooveBox.

• @echoopera said:

I’m in love with this device. It’s just a joy to use. Feeding Factory into the DN with AUM running master clock so i can get drums from GrooveBox.

What is a DN?

• @[Deleted User] said:

@echoopera said:

What is a DN?

Digitone

• @OnfraySin said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@echoopera said:

What is a DN?

Digitone

Ahhhh, cheers. DT used up for Digitakt

• @echoopera said:

Cool. I'm sure you'll pick up loads of great tips. You're familiar with Elektron already so the latter vids will cover known ground.

Hard to make out the others apps in the pic. I recognise the Atom and Rozetta icons.

• I think Elektron has the sound presets packs 30% discount right now - i recall unread something like this today

• @david_2017 said:
    I think Elektron has the sound presets packs 30% discount right now - i recall unread something like this today

Yep. Picked up a couple.

• @echoopera said:

@david_2017 said:
    I think Elektron has the sound presets packs 30% discount right now - i recall unread something like this today

Yep. Picked up a couple.

Which packs did you get? You must be loving the Digitone by now.

BTW what are the apps used in your pic above?

• edited December 2019

@SpookyZoo said:

@echoopera said:

@david_2017 said:

Yep. Picked up a couple.

Yep. Really enjoying this synth. I picked up these two and the free pack:

They’re on the more experimental side of the sound patches...kind of reminds me of the Aparillo patches in a way.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@echoopera said:

@david_2017 said:

Yep. Picked up a couple.

Be sure to get jogging house haunted heart pack. Magnificent for downtempo / ambient

Beside that harmonix app by Marcus Koehler is just incredible random patch generator with categories. Including: plug, pad, drone etc. fantastic

• @OnfraySin said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    What is a DN?

Digitone

Was wondering the same. Thank you both.

@slicetwo said:
    NFM seems to be close in how it is organized, though, so that is kind of holding me over when I'm away from the studio.

What's NFM? :)

• @rs2000 said:
    I'd say that Obsidian (NS2) is the FM synth that comes closest to the Digitone, both in usability and in endless modulation possibilities. You have 3x3 FM operators per instance and virtually unlimited tracks.

I don't own a Digitone so I can't speak to how close Obsidian is but damn, I love the OBS FM oscillator. I think it's the most underrated part of NS2. Or maybe just under talked about? The manual entry for it could prolly use more detail.

Why I :love: it:

• Each operator can use one of 15 different waveforms (vs sine alone).
    • Each of the algorithm connection points (feedback amount and level) have their own full envelopes with velocity and key tracking for both level and time.
    • In addition to the internal envelopes, you can point the rest of Obsidian's modulators (5x LFO, 5x ENV, knobs...) at any individual algorithm component
    • You can stack 3 different FM oscillators in the same patch
    • Or you can mix it with other oscillator types (samples, VA..)

On that last bit, I love how easy it is to mix different oscillator types in Obsidian but kinda wonder if Matt undersold the power of the beast by not having full dedicated UIs for each oscillator type (ala Gadget).

Still... I want me a Digitone. :)

• edited December 2019

@syrupcore said:

@rs2000 said:
    I'd say that Obsidian (NS2) is the FM synth that comes closest to the Digitone, both in usability and in endless modulation possibilities. You have 3x3 FM operators per instance and virtually unlimited tracks.

I don't own a Digitone so I can't speak to how close Obsidian is but damn, I love the OBS FM oscillator. I think it's the most underrated part of NS2. Or maybe just under talked about? The manual entry for it could prolly use more detail.

Why I :love: it:

• Each operator can use one of 15 different waveforms (vs sine alone).
    • Each of the algorithm connection points (feedback amount and level) have their own full envelopes with velocity and key tracking for both level and time.
    • In addition to the internal envelopes, you can point the rest of Obsidian's modulators (5x LFO, 5x ENV, knobs...) at any individual algorithm component
    • You can stack 3 different FM oscillators in the same patch
    • Or you can mix it with other oscillator types (samples, VA..)

On that last bit, I love how easy it is to mix different oscillator types in Obsidian but kinda wonder if Matt undersold the power of the beast by not having full dedicated UIs for each oscillator type (ala Gadget).

Still... I want me a Digitone. :)

:smiley:
    I've played with the Digitone and the Digitone Keys for a while to come to my conclusion.
    Of course, a hardware box feels different and that alone can be enough reason to get it if you have money to spend.