Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Hammond B-3X by IK Multimedia

Comments

• I’m hoping to see a Christmas half price sale on this B3x app. For $50 it’d be an instabuy. However I would t rule out paying full price at some later date

• @Telstar5 said:
    I’m hoping to see a Christmas half price sale on this B3x app. For $50 it’d be an instabuy. However I would t rule out paying full price at some later date

It was just released and is intro-priced so I would bet more on a future holiday than this Christmas, to be honest.

• I shouldn't say this, but I just find it soooo refreshing to have a company representative who isn't of the school of thought that "professionalism" means just letting people kick you around. Kudos for even handed responses that aren't just cowering sycophancy.

• @wim said:
    I shouldn't say this, but I just find it soooo refreshing to have a company representative who isn't of the school of thought that "professionalism" means just letting people kick you around. Kudos for even handed responses that aren't just cowering sycophancy.

I think it's worth saying. Reward behaviors you'd like to see repeated in future. The @ikmultimedia spokeperson that responds here does a solid job for the company he represents and to the forum as well. IK Multimedia has captured a lot of my money over the last 10 years and generally given me good value. The competition from many smaller development teams have really raised the bar for IOS apps but this B3 emulator is an important option for anyone needing a solid iPad implementation. For most of us here the lower priced options are good enough when we want to add a realistic B3 track. It takes a real dedicated keyboard player to master that beast of an instrument. It's like the pedal steel emulator Yonac created... it sounds great for a couple bucks but needs MIDI input and would be worth a lot more to me if it had that feature. They just assumed that we'd only accept a "slide" based GUI interface. I could live with some bending or MPE features in a pinch.

Anyway, congratulations to @ikmultimedia on a new ground breaking app engineered by and for the keyboard Pros.

• @ikmultimedia said:

@gusgranite said:
    I already thought Syntronik was one of the best sounding apps on iOS. But this year I got into IK on the desktop with their group buy. They are now among my favourite developers. Tapes, Leslie, Saturator X, EQs and comps are just brilliant.

I expect this app is best in class as well and if I played Hammond then I would be itching to jump in.

I have also heard concerns about IK customer history here and on KVR which maybe valid but in the last two years I cannot fault their public relations. They respond professionally and regularly.

Keep it up @ikmultimedia!

Thank you for the kind words. We have made improvements as our public-facing folks like our Support Manager & team, my team, and others here push and keep pushing for improvements on many different levels. Not to mention that some of the products you mention like the Tape Machine Collection and Hammond B-3X show the devs, product managers, and our quite brilliant CTO who is the brains behind all of that - including some great hardware like iLoud MTM are really all bringing a lot of power to the table and not just resting on any laurels.

Gott say the ilouds were sufficient and great when I was on the road. Loving the MTMs, and the irig keys saved me when I needed to write songs while I was on tour. I’ve used the mic lots for recording promotional videos and the stands for my on stage live performances. It’s sad to say IK multimedia is the only game in town for iOS. Luckily, I feel I’ve gotten quality and consistency from what they offer. For me, that’s important because I rely on them for my work. If they weren’t at a quality that I think Is sufficient, I’d be screwed because there is really no one else.

• @wim said:
    I shouldn't say this, but I just find it soooo refreshing to have a company representative who isn't of the school of thought that "professionalism" means just letting people kick you around. Kudos for even handed responses that aren't just cowering sycophancy.

Yeah you should say it .. Good point !

• I have a question about the app, @ikmultimedia. Does the Hammond B-3X have 2 sets of drawbars per manual as on a real B3 or A100 such that we could be playing the B preset and edit the Bb preset like a real Hammond without yet loading the Bb drawbar preset?

• I've been checking the "Keyboard Corner" forum for reviews and feedback on this app.
    The serious B3 users have finally weighed in and this is a revolutionary B3 emulation at a price point that's <1/10th of the cost of rack mount hardware simulators. It blows away the Nord emulations for example.

Most really serious portable B3 players use the Viscount Legend B3 hardware device.

But the attraction of great sounding B3 emulations driven from a light weight MIDI control
    systen (using 2 keyboards) or even the Viscount Legend is getting consideration.

Ir's also worth noting that the majority of the users on that forum think they just don't need a $100 app and Galileo meets there needs... some have also mentioned the infamous Korg Module Organ IAP which covers a lot more B3 use cases like the distorted Rock sounds of John Lord.

Anyway, this app is considered to be the approved emulator as viewed by the Hammond Corp and a new stardard for a quality B3 emulator.

$100 gets you the sounds and you'll need another few hundred to cover the controller specs needed to play like a real organ-meister. But that user just isn't hanging out here.

I'm hoping Roland staffs up and starts creating more IOS apps like the classic Roland emulators they offer from the Roland Cloud for desktop OS'es. IK Multimedia's Syntronik covers many of those sounds and went of sale for $48 recently.

• edited December 2019

@Howard said:
    I have a question about the app, @ikmultimedia. Does the Hammond B-3X have 2 sets of drawbars per manual as on a real B3 or A100 such that we could be playing the B preset and edit the Bb preset like a real Hammond without yet loading the Bb drawbar preset?

Hammond B-3X has nine drawbars per manual as you'd find on a real B3

• edited December 2019

To elaborate on switching drawbar settings etc, here is some information that Erik Norlander had explained:

Each of the three manuals has its own set of drawbars that is displayed at the top of the window. The drawbars
    always show the current state of the tone generator mix. So the drawbar settings you see always represents
    the drawbar sound you hear. Since Hammond B-3X is a software instrument, we can take advantage of the
    dynamic software interface to always show the current position of the drawbars. The advantages of a software instrument become apparent when you select a drawbar settings key using the 12 inverted keys at the left of each keyboard. Here is some historical information so you can understand what was done originally, and what has evolved in Hammond B-3X. On the hardware Hammond organs, the C# through A keys select a fixed drawbar setting that is independent of that actual physical drawbars. The A# note selects the first set of drawbars at the left, and the B note selects the second set of drawbars to the right. The C note cancels the drawbar selection altogether and essentially mutes the organ. Hammond B-3X deviates from this classic scheme because we do not have the same limitations as analog hardware. Hammond B-3X still has drawbar settings on the inverted keys, but here we take advantage of the software platform and dynamically move the drawbars to reflect each drawbar preset selected. This would be impractical on a hardware Hammond organ since this could only be accomplished with mechanically motorized sliders. This also allows Hammond B-3X to use all 12 inverted keys of each manual for drawbar settings instead of just 9 of them on the original hardware instruments.

Edited: More detailed explanation

• Does anyone have any screenshots of how this is hosted as an AU? Is the “scrolling window” type or does it scale to fit cleanly?

Can someone confirm that there aren’t any advertisements in the product?

• edited December 2019

@ikmultimedia said:

@Howard said:
    I have a question about the app, @ikmultimedia. Does the Hammond B-3X have 2 sets of drawbars per manual as on a real B3 or A100 such that we could be playing the B preset and edit the Bb preset like a real Hammond without yet loading the Bb drawbar preset?

On a real B3 there are 2 sets of 9 drawbars per manual. The active one and the inactive one (which can be manipulated without affecting the current sound then suddenly engaged by pressing the B or Bb preset key).
    Your emulation obviously offers more presets than a real B3, but, according to what has been written above, does not allow you to create a new, unengaged, preset on-the-fly whilst playing the organ. Which would be nice to have.

• @McD :That was freaking excellent!

• edited December 2019

@TimRussell said:

@ikmultimedia said:

@Howard said:

On a real B3 there are 2 sets of 9 drawbars per manual. The active one and the inactive one (which can be manipulated without affecting the current sound then suddenly engaged by pressing the B or Bb preset key).
    Your emulation obviously offers more presets than a real B3, but, according to what has been written above, does not allow you to create a new, unengaged, preset on-the-fly whilst playing the organ. Which would be nice to have.

Please also see the post that followed what you quoted as Hammond B-3X does more than a real B3. Also note that Hammond B-3X offers 24 custom drawbar settings available within each preset

As well as this part of the post I mention:

Each of the three manuals has its own set of drawbars that is displayed at the top of the window. The drawbars
    always show the current state of the tone generator mix. So the drawbar settings you see always represents
    the drawbar sound you hear. Since Hammond B-3X is a software instrument, we can take advantage of the
    dynamic software interface to always show the current position of the drawbar

• edited December 2019

Maybe I misunderstood.
    So just to be clear - there IS a set of nine drawbars which can be manipulated to create a new preset in real time, whilst playing a different preset on the organ, without it affecting the sound currently being played?

• I’m not interested in this particular app on iOS or desktop because I am a terrible keyboardist, but I will say that between the group buy 2 months ago and my recent purchase of modo drum, IK software is making it into a lot of my mixing and creating right now. Svx2 is incredible and modo drum is very deep, it’s helped me revive some older songs that are being re-released. Thankfully I’m hearing major progress in my recording skills after hearing how I recorded drums 12 years ago...yikes!!

I’m only sad that the tape machines are so cpu heavy, my 2012 MacBook Pro has a hard time with them in some situations. They sound really great, there’s something I can’t quite put my finger on about them over other tape sims I have. That’s not a complaint to IK though, i just refuse to get a newer mbp, the 2012 has too many good things about it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @BCKeys said:

@ikmultimedia said:

@Telstar5 said:
    I’m hoping to see a Christmas half price sale on this B3x app. For $50 it’d be an instabuy. However I would t rule out paying full price at some later date

It was just released and is intro-priced so I would bet more on a future holiday than this Christmas, to be honest.

Thats why everybody loves holidays ☺️

For me it is the food, mostly :smile:

• @McD said:
    I've been checking the "Keyboard Corner" forum for reviews and feedback on this app.
    The serious B3 users have finally weighed in and this is a revolutionary B3 emulation at a price point that's <1/10th of the cost of rack mount hardware simulators. It blows away the Nord emulations for example.

Most really serious portable B3 players use the Viscount Legend B3 hardware device.

But the attraction of great sounding B3 emulations driven from a light weight MIDI control
    systen (using 2 keyboards) or even the Viscount Legend is getting consideration.

Ir's also worth noting that the majority of the users on that forum think they just don't need a $100 app and Galileo meets there needs... some have also mentioned the infamous Korg Module Organ IAP which covers a lot more B3 use cases like the distorted Rock sounds of John Lord.

Anyway, this app is considered to be the approved emulator as viewed by the Hammond Corp and a new stardard for a quality B3 emulator.

$100 gets you the sounds and you'll need another few hundred to cover the controller specs needed to play like a real organ-meister. But that user just isn't hanging out here.

I'm hoping Roland staffs up and starts creating more IOS apps like the classic Roland emulators they offer from the Roland Cloud for desktop OS'es. IK Multimedia's Syntronik covers many of those sounds and went of sale for $48 recently.

Good observations man. I worked for a Hammond dealer in the late 80’s, and before that lugged around a B3 on Hammond dolly’s with my 800 doing covers in clubs, restaurants, and hotels, and I would have had no problem sound wise using this new B-X3 app and a couple midi keyboards instead had it and midi been around then .. certainly would have saved my back and those unlucky souls that had to help me move the beast on and off our Toyota pickup lol. Only thing missing on this B-X3 is the waterfall Hammond action. I just actually checked out the Viscount site due to your post (I don’t keep up with modern organist and digital organs these days), and that Legend looks and sounds pretty cool .. but then I went to eBay and for giggles checked out the used B3, C3, and A100’s available near me or with shipping .. and I can get for instance a C3 with Leslie 122 right now for $1000.00 less than a Viscount Legend .. what is it about those things that drives the price so high? Kraft Music is selling the Viscount Legend with a few accessories for $3700.00 .. Wow!

• Now, how much will y’all pay for a lite version?

• @cloudswimmer said:
    I can get for instance a C3 with Leslie 122 right now for $1000.00 less than a Viscount Legend .. what is it about those things that drives the price so high?

It's beautifully made to play like a Hammond but be portable.

So, portability, durability and playability put it in the price range of the Pro keyboards. On the keyboard Corner Forum the IK Multimedia B-3X sound is recommended over the Legend by some and several consider using it's MIDI out to control an iPad with the Hammond B-3X app.

It's a niche market for those dedicated to that instrument and not just "yet another Synth Preset".

• @McD said:

@cloudswimmer said:
    I can get for instance a C3 with Leslie 122 right now for $1000.00 less than a Viscount Legend .. what is it about those things that drives the price so high?

It's beautifully made to play like a Hammond but be portable.

So, portability, durability and playability put it in the price range of the Pro keyboards. On the keyboard Corner Forum the IK Multimedia B-3X sound is recommended over the Legend by some and several consider using it's MIDI out to control an iPad with the Hammond B-3X app.

It's a niche market for those dedicated to that instrument and not just "yet another Synth Preset

So is the Viscount Legend preferred over the Hammond XK-5 by the modern pro guys? I’m working on some old jazz standards right now with the B-X3 app and it’s making me really want a double manual Hammond action controller.

• @cloudswimmer said:
    So is the Viscount Legend preferred over the Hammond XK-5 by the modern pro guys?

It would be wise to ask your question on the Keyboard Corner Forum and get a good range of opinions. Sometimes they argue since Hammond are used for Church, Ice Rink, Stadiums,
    Deep Purple tribute bands, Jimmy Smith Organ trios and more. With and without distortion, etc. There are a lot of opinions about the best hardware but generally they seem to only like hardware there:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/18/1/The_Keyboard_Corner

• New buyers are showing up on the Keyboard Corner and the reviews are pretty positive to justify the $100 as a real bargain for the quality of the emulation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=270&v=SPI8d4pT52E&feature=emb_logo

Pretty cheap set of MIDI controllers:

Samson Carbon 61 upper controller for $115
    Korg Microkey air 37 lower controller for $145 (using Bluetooth avoids the need for a USB Hub reducing cable complexity).

• gdhgdh
    edited December 2019

I would like to see a co. to put out a true waterfall controller (61 and possibly 73) to fully take advantage of these great organ apps/plugins. It doesn’t need to have 2 full sets of dB. Right now there is the Numa Compact 2x which seems still to be a work in progress and is selling well so there is a mkt out there for a good controller.

• @McD said:
    New buyers are showing up on the Keyboard Corner and the reviews are pretty positive to justify the $100 as a real bargain for the quality of the emulation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=270&v=SPI8d4pT52E&feature=emb_logo

I am NOT spending any more money on iOS apps this year...
    I am NOT spending any more money on iOS apps this year...

• @gdh said:
    I would like to see a co. to put out a true waterfall controller (61 and possibly 73) to fully take advantage of these great organ apps/plugins. It doesn’t need to have 2 full sets of dB. Right now there is the Numa Compact 2x which seems still to be a work in progress and is selling well so there is a may out there for a good controller.

This x1000

• I think you misunderstood my question, @ikmultimedia. I know there are 9 drawbars for each of the upper and lower manuals. In addition there is are 2 drawbars for the pedals. I also asked and I think @TimRussell was trying to help clarify as to whether each manual or keyboard had 2 full sets of drawbars. I was trying to find out if you could edit a second set of drawbars "whilst playing a different preset on the organ, without it affecting the sound currently being played" to quote @TimRussell :) . A Hammond B3 as well as other tonewheel organs in the Hammond family such as the A-100 (which I own B) ) have 2 full sets of 9 drawbars for each manual or keyboard. One is hardwired to the Bb in the reverse coloured key of the lower octave and the second set of 9 is hardwired to B. While I see that some users here don't care about this feature I would hope any true B3 emulation should have this functionality. Watch many of the B3 blues players and you will see them tweak both the drawbars on the preset they are currently playing and also tweak the 2nd set in anticipation of selecting that preset during the next part of the tune. It looks to me as though this B3 emulator doesn't yet have this functionality but it would be great if this could be added at some point.

• @gdh said:
    I would like to see a co. to put out a true waterfall controller (61 and possibly 73) to fully take advantage of these great organ apps/plugins. It doesn’t need to have 2 full sets of dB. Right now there is the Numa Compact 2x which seems still to be a work in progress and is selling well so there is a mkt out there for a good controller.

Studiologic Numa Organ 2 ..

• @cloudswimmer said:

@gdh said:

Studiologic Numa Organ 2 ..

$1500 feels a wee high.