Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Hammond B-3X by IK Multimedia

Comments

• edited December 2019

@Carnbot said:
    I can see there might be a market for this with gigging organistas, not for me though. :)

it's a bit old so maybe iPad could be the perfect mainstage on the go... but Apple should release Pro apps first.

This pricing argument comes up repeatedly but it's ridiculous to say it’s the consumers fault (it isn't )and people are forgetting why apps are cheap in the first place:

Apple have created an ecosystem for cheap apps to flourish on purpose, so you keep buying and buying, forgetting how much you've spent..it's very clever and works, I've spent well over what I should do on apps which disappear and break over the years. They haven’t created an ecosystem yet for pro apps to flourish, with stability, ability to back up apps easily, ability to downgrade iOS, a proper files system (although improving slowly) multiple hardware ports + You have no control of the app if removed from the store etc

A greed :wink:

Also ipads are less useful in a professional workflow over a computer which is infinitely configurable. I know the apps I buy on desktop platform will last for decades or more, on iOS I just don't know. Desktop money feels more of an investment, iOs purchases I hope are an investment, but it feels riskier, as Apple make them more disposable.

Goto Mainstage mac mini

Unless this changes significantly the iOS version will always be less useful professionally than the desktop version and is reflected in the price difference, consumers "want to pay less" on iOS for a good reason, they aren't worth as much, although the "IP" of an app is worth the same and can be re-used with different pricing on a different platform. Developers understand this too.

Once again let's check the mac mini pro launch keynote...

Jump to 4'15"

Apple is aiming these to Mainstage. Maybe is a trick to make users buy them and lately releases a Mainstage for iPad pro... but until then, the strategy is clear.

Sure we see sometimes "premium" priced apps like this, but I can't see it being the norm until the platform changes considerably and that will probably take many years.

Totally agreed so that's why I point towards ELK as best companion/partner for indie devs.

More info at my forum topic about this.
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/31931/finally-some-open-source-serious-embed-platoform-is-emerging#latest

• @TimRussell said:

My own experience with PCs, especially laptops, is that they don’t last anything like as long as Macs desktops, and are not even as good as those iPads. But my usage is probably different to others so my be a unique case.

I had my first issue with my Dell PC last week when the graphics card died, which was due to a power cut/surge.

I use it all day, most days a week and have done for 11 years. No upgrades apart from a £50 graphics card fix last week.

Pretty pleased with that for the £900 it cost. Bit slow now mind, but since I rarely do any work that pushes it, it still does the job nicely, though I'm going to retire it in a month or two and bring in a fancy new iMac.

Only negatives for me with the PC are not being able to boot from an external drive, otherwise I would have hooked up an external SSD to give it a speed boost, as I did with my Mac laptop.

• @TheDubbyLabby said:

yeah I thought about the mac mini, but I do loads of GPU based audiovisual stuff and PC GPUs are more bang for buck right now. :)

• edited December 2019

@Carnbot said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

yeah I thought about the mac mini, but I do loads of GPU based audiovisual stuff and PC GPUs are more bang for buck right now. :)

Yup Apple apps had been killer apps for some time but maybe Camelot Pro could be a substitute.

Let's see substitutes:
    Apple Mainstage > Camelot Pro
    Apple Logic Pro > The DAW of your choice.

• Drummer > Lumbeat apps or Band-in-a-box (pricey)... Any other?
    • Music Notepad > Yamaha ChordTracker, iBassist (related), Tonality...?

Apple Garageband > Roland Zenbeats? BandLab? Cubasis?

For me Logic/Garageband are the reasons to keep my mac mini (maybe Traktor but less and less everyday). Also GTL, iBassist/Lumbeats, BlocsWave and some apps like Tonality the reason to keep my iPad/iPhone... but again I will love to have some of these as standalone hardware instead Apple's dependency (I've sold the Trio+ for its midi lacks but I hope Digitech releases a mk2 with improvements).

What about you (and others)?

• 100 dollars is obviously ridiculous and people comparing to pc vsts are being nonsensical. You produce and price products relative to the market in which they’re competing. But the main thing is... It’s IK multimedia. Hard pass regardless of price. Plus mega lols.

• I see others agree that this isn't the app to make the jump to "pro" pricing with. It almost feels like it will have to be a rock solid DAW that changes everything...ya know, Ableton or the like. Til then, I think it's wise to tow the Fabfilter line.

• How many apps exceed $60~$80 after you purchase the available IAP? This isn't overpriced compared to other IK multimedia apps. It just skips IAP and goes at a direct price.

• Price fine with me...vendor not so much.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @BCKeys said:

@chocobitz825 said:
    How many apps exceed $60~$80 after you purchase the available IAP? This isn't overpriced compared to other IK multimedia apps. It just skips IAP and goes at a direct price.

Yep but you have the choice to select what you need or not.
    Im a big fan of Korg Gadget but there is some Gagdets that I will never buy because I dont need it (Lisbon, Warsawa, Otorii, Ebina, Darwin, Milpitas, Memphis......).

I probably paid hundreds bucks for Gadgets but it's not only an organ simulator, its thousands sounds, a sequencer, a sampler etc.

I wonder why IK multimedia didnt choose to do this, they did it with Syntronik CS (free app then you complete with IAPs).

Perhaps, the engineering cost was higher, perhaps their target market is pros and they are test-marketing to see how this strategy works. Clearly, the iOS Gadget approach has not been super profitable. Or rather not profitable enough to merit investment in aggressively updating the software to standards like AUv3...

They might find that it doesn't work, but it may yield valuable info going forward.

• edited December 2019

@realdawei said:
    ...vendor not so much.

Why? Is there anything I can look into for you? Let me know, you can PM if there are personal details, ticket numbers, etc. Thank you.

@wingwizard said:
    ...But the main thing is... It’s IK multimedia. Hard pass regardless of price. Plus mega lols.

Same question, and adding Hammond/Suzuki didn't "mega lol" over our modeling technology or how we brought their sound to people virtually, nor is anybody laughing at Erik Norlander's acccomplishments, deep knowledge, and top credibility in the industry which also drove Hammond B-3X. I think only certain people laugh at such accomplished companies and people, most applaud their achievements as all parties involved have some great achievements to be proud of rather than worry about an anonymous person laughing at them or the company that they are part of on the internet.

With regard to neither of the two quotes above, I see sampling mentioned but Hammond B-3X is hybrid and leans more on modeling than samples. So this isn't a simple sample library that can be "repackaged" or whatnot. Just to make sure that is not confusing anybody reading other comments in that thread.

Beyond that, thank you for the pricing discussion. It was obviously not a mistake as someone had posted they wrote to us about and Hammond B-3X is a premium app that we feel is worth the full price and are offering it for the introductory price you see now as a special offer. If it is not worth that to you, of course you may pass on it. Hammond B-3X Mac/PC was very well-received and we received constant inquiries whether we could make it work on iOS. We did, as you can see.

I hope you enjoy our new app, and if you do not that's cool too - keep making music with whatever suits your needs and/or your budget.

• So £99 is an introductory price?
    What will the eventual full price be?

• Some people live in their own little world it seems.

Just because I cannot justify the purchase of a 911 Turbo doesn’t mean there isn’t a huge market for it or that Porsche should adjust the price to meet my budget. Nor am I going to publicly attack Porsche for not pricing their cars to my expectations. That would only make me look foolish. 😆

I hope to see this product do well. That can only be good for the iOS music platform overall. 😎

• @ikmultimedia said:

@realdawei said:
    ...vendor not so much.

Why? Is there anything I can look into for you? Let me know, you can PM if there are personal details, ticket numbers, etc. Thank you.

@wingwizard said:
    ...But the main thing is... It’s IK multimedia. Hard pass regardless of price. Plus mega lols.

Same question, and adding Hammond/Suzuki didn't "mega lol" over our modeling technology or how we brought their sound to people virtually, nor is anybody laughing at Erik Norlander's acccomplishments, deep knowledge, and top credibility in the industry which also drove Hammond B-3X. I think only certain people laugh at such accomplished companies and people, most applaud their achievements as all parties involved have some great achievements to be proud of rather than worry about an anonymous person laughing at them or the company that they are part of on the internet.

With regard to neither of the two quotes above, I see sampling mentioned but Hammond B-3X is hybrid and leans more on modeling than samples. So this isn't a simple sample library that can be "repackaged" or whatnot. Just to make sure that is not confusing anybody reading other comments in that thread.

Beyond that, thank you for the pricing discussion. It was obviously not a mistake as someone had posted they wrote to us about and Hammond B-3X is a premium app that we feel is worth the full price and are offering it for the introductory price you see now as a special offer. If it is not worth that to you, of course you may pass on it. Hammond B-3X Mac/PC was very well-received and we received constant inquiries whether we could make it work on iOS. We did, as you can see.

I hope you enjoy our new app, and if you do not that's cool too - keep making music with whatever suits your needs and/or your budget.

Thank you very much for you response and putting your strategy into perspective.
    Each developer is free to choose product prices just as much as customers are free to choose what to buy.

• Besides a Beetle performs just as well in traffic.

• edited December 2019

@BCKeys said:

@chocobitz825 said:
    How many apps exceed $60~$80 after you purchase the available IAP? This isn't overpriced compared to other IK multimedia apps. It just skips IAP and goes at a direct price.

Im a big fan of Korg Gadget but there is some Gagdets that I will never buy because I dont need it (Lisbon, Warsawa, Otorii, Ebina, Darwin, Milpitas, Memphis......).

I probably paid hundreds bucks for Gadgets but it's not only an organ simulator, its thousands sounds, a sequencer, a sampler etc.

I wonder why IK multimedia didnt choose to do this, they did it with Syntronik CS (free app then you complete with IAPs).

@BCKeys said:

@chocobitz825 said:

I don't think it makes sense, if you see the app's application, to use IAP, but if they had, it would have likely ended up around $100. The total functionality of the Hammond is deeply impacted by the FX and amp/cab options. I don't think there was a realistic way to divorce those parts from the Hammond and still have it maintain its superior quality over its competition. If every app was priced this way, it wouldn't make sense and I would take issue, but in the case of THIS particular app, the pricing completely makes sense.

• edited December 2019

@ikmultimedia : Good for you for offering pushback. I don’t think the app is too expensive . It sounds AND looks great.
    Now for my question.
    . As a Sampletank ll owner .. Is there ANY chance of seeing it as an auv3 at some point ? SampleTank 4 is just so awesome . It would be great to have an iPad version, even slightly stripped down as in Syntronik which I also own.
    Lastly for the record I’ve always gotten prompt responses via email from IK. Ignore the haters. You’re doing great work and a new edition of Sampletank for iOS could represent a lot of the future of this platform . A full featured sequencer within Sampletank would be great also .

• @BCKeys said:

@wim said:
    I'm never gonna use a B3 emulation solo and revel in the crystal clear memories of that luscious real B3 I played in my younger years. I'm never gonna use a B3 emulation on an iPad in any live gig. And even if I did, who the hell could tell the difference in a live setting? I'm never gonna be able to appreciate the nuances between this and Galileo 2 in a mix, which is the only place I'd use a B3.

Can't see the need for this for anyone but a tiny slice of the market. That slice will probably not even flinch at paying this much for it. So it could be a very sound pricing decision. After all, they only need 10% of the number of customers they would have had to reach if it were priced similarly to most iOS apps.

but, not for me. :D

👍

:+1: :+1:

If you're a gigging musician who needs solid B3 sounds for a good chunk of your live sets, 100 bucks is a completely reasonable price. Presuming it's solid, etc.

Most of us here in the AB Forum echo chamber are not gigging musicians who need B3 sounds for a good chunk of live sets. Any notion of value is gonna be skewed.

• @ikmultimedia said:

YES. This is the way to do it. App is not for me but hope it's fantastic and hope folks who value its offerings make fantastic music with it.

Maybe ya'll should hire His Royal B-ness, Dennis Montgomery to show the rest of us AUM/NeatoAUv3/Wow folks why people might care to pay this much for a solid B3 emulation?

• edited December 2019

@syrupcore said:

@BCKeys said:

@wim said:
    I'm never gonna use a B3 emulation solo and revel in the crystal clear memories of that luscious real B3 I played in my younger years. I'm never gonna use a B3 emulation on an iPad in any live gig. And even if I did, who the hell could tell the difference in a live setting? I'm never gonna be able to appreciate the nuances between this and Galileo 2 in a mix, which is the only place I'd use a B3.

Can't see the need for this for anyone but a tiny slice of the market. That slice will probably not even flinch at paying this much for it. So it could be a very sound pricing decision. After all, they only need 10% of the number of customers they would have had to reach if it were priced similarly to most iOS apps.

but, not for me. :D

👍

:+1: :+1:

If you're a gigging musician who needs solid B3 sounds for a good chunk of your live sets, 100 bucks is a completely reasonable price. Presuming it's solid, etc.

Most of us here in the AB Forum echo chamber are not gigging musicians who need B3 sounds for a good chunk of live sets. Any notion of value is gonna be skewed.

Actually it’s a bargain for a ‘Gigging musician’ and mobility, etc... it’s why I’m proposing what IK Multimedia does so well, a lite version with the ability to upgrade to the full version.. A win win..

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @TimRussell said:
    My iMac is now 11yrs old, I upgraded the HD to a SSD a couple of years back and it still works fine, except I have to keep it at OS 10.11 (El Capitan) which excludes it from most new software.

My MacBook is 10yrs old, also had upgraded SSD, runs OS 10.12 Sierra, and works fine for simple stuff (kids mostly using it for schoolwork and me for the occasional PowerPoint presentation).

My wife’s iPad Mini 2 (2013) and daughter’s iPad Air 2 can both run iOS 12 smoothly, including most of the music apps.

My own experience with PCs, especially laptops, is that they don’t last anything like as long as Macs desktops, and are not even as good as those iPads. But my usage is probably different to others so my be a unique case.

I have two PC’s I built myself 10 years ago in my main studio, except for CPU and hard drive upgrades they’ve outlasted my last Mac by 7 years .. but that was a Power PC Mac clone lol. My two Mac SE30’s are still in the closet and only need new hard drives to work again .. some 30 years later. In my second studio I have two other PC’s I built specifically for gaming (which I don’t do anymore) that had been running continuous 24/7 (never powered off) for six years until last summers earthquake busted the table in that room and I had to tear everything down. I think when it comes to PC’s lasting it depends on who built it and with what components.

• @ikmultimedia said:

@realdawei said:
    ...vendor not so much.

@wingwizard said:

I’m sure your third party relationships are top notch, but your business practices reflect anything but the motto “Musicians First”. You have every right to defend your company but we also have every right to say, “friends don’t let friends buy IK”.

• @syrupcore said:

@ikmultimedia said:

YES. This is the way to do it. App is not for me but hope it's fantastic and hope folks who value its offerings make fantastic music with it.

Maybe ya'll should hire His Royal B-ness, Dennis Montgomery to show the rest of us AUM/NeatoAUv3/Wow folks why people might care to pay this much for a solid B3 emulation?

Absolutely! And people wouldn't even notice that he was actually playing the Galileo 2 organ :D

• @robertreynolds : you have the right to your opinion. I am happy with a number of iK products. I disagree with your suggestion that people discourage others from getting any iK products. Maybe they aren't a good fit for everyone but lots of people like some of their products, too.

• I can’t demonize IK multimedia. I’m a fan of the modo bass and drum series. Some of their hardware is really good. Some of their products don’t wow me but I am sincerely grateful to the company. No other company has continued to invest so much into software porting and hardware options for iOS. They’ve helped keep this community moving. We celebrate the likes of fabfilter and eventide coming into the platform but before that amplitube and sampletank were there. Before there was widespread compatibility with midi and USB devices, IK multimedia was dropping the midi kits and iOS compatible mics. No matter how often Apple changes ports, they also offer options for people to continue to use their devices as the tech changes.

They’re not perfect but they were pretty much the biggest entity to jump in and support iOS music making.

• edited December 2019

@chocobitz825
    I can totally confirm that.
    Developing musicians' hardware for iDevices not only means investing into a relatively small market but also biting the bullet to pay Apple taxes in order "to be allowed to develop" Apple-certified hardware.
    I don't know what I would have done without iRig MIDI many years ago.

Also, they've developed a bunch of innovative software for both desktop and iOS - not to everyone's taste but they did a good job in many cases.
    Other examples worth to mention are Amplitube, T-RackS and iRing FX on iOS ;)

• edited December 2019

@ikmultimedia said:

@realdawei said:
    ...vendor not so much.

@wingwizard said:

The extremely low quality of your previous apps, pianos, electric pianos and samples as well as hardware relative to all the competition, as is the overwhelming consensus among app users, seeing as you asked. Passive aggressive posting as an anonymous rep of a company, and attempting to belittle consumers and their opinion is really professional though and not at all weirdly defensive; well done.

• @rs2000 said:
    @chocobitz825
    I can totally confirm that.
    Developing musicians' hardware for iDevices not only means investing into a relatively small market but also biting the bullet to pay Apple taxes in order "to be allowed to develop" Apple-certified hardware.
    I don't know what I would have done without iRig MIDI many years ago.

Also, they've developed a bunch of innovative software for both desktop and iOS - not to everyone's taste but they did a good job in many cases.
    Other examples worth to mention are Amplitube, T-RackS and iRing FX on iOS ;)

exactly. Even today its hard to find any maker who continues to support hardware for iOS. most have given up after a couple of generations. Many dropped off when the change to lightning happened, and many others tried to make hardware that fit the physical size of ipads only to have those ipads change size. Most of those hardware options were dropped. Whether its ipad stands, or docking stations, few companies continue to support that tech. IK Multimedia has continued to push out new music stands to accommodate the ipad pros, continued releases of midi rigs, mics for musicians and content creators, as well as releasing keyboard/music interface options. even some of the older ones I bought were not turned into junk because IKM made replacement midi cables to make the change to lightning. Even if you wanted to buy from someone else, good luck finding anyone who still has their hands in the game.