Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Hammond B-3X by IK Multimedia

Comments

• @Pee102 said:
    Hello Ik Multimedia-Team...is there any chance that you’re transforming your great app into a universal app?...it would be really the biggest thing to have a real Hammond in our pockets!!!...and think about that: there are s lot of people who have no iPad devices, but an iPhone...for me it would be an instant buy also with even higher costs than the actual iPad-app...thank you very much for developing a universal app out of your Hammond app!...

Thanks for your interest, I'll make sure this makes it to the team. No news at this time. Right now, to my understanding, the iPad platform allows for much more resources and provides the best experience, but it wouldn't hurt to stay informed via the newsletter.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/newsletter/

Off topic from your question, if anyone is looking for a comparison of Hammond B-3X and Galileo 2, check out this video from @Daveypoo.

There is a separate thread (link below) for discussion if anyone is interested in jumping in. Some interesting and positive comments in there so far.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/37145/the-hammond-b-3-off-hammond-b-3x-vs-galileo-2-daveypoo-the-mobile-music-minstrel#latest

• Sure. We need them to make a Universal version of an app that displays GUI sliders. Then we can complain about the pricing for 2 versions.

Sorry. Sometimes the forum just seems like a rich kid that open his birthday present and complains about missing features. “I have to charge it to use it? Some birthday gift? I’ll be in my room playing games with my real family.”

Make some music. When I was a kid we need to save for years to get anything useful. Hundreds of dollars and thousands for a Hammond.

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

Ahh come on @McD thats just stupid. :s

First, asking for something is not the same as complaining. Second why would anyone not want to have something they paid that much for on all their devices? Third, not everyone has an iPad (though true, not probably if they would pay this much for a single app. )

Go make some music instead of criticizing other people’s posts. (Sez the guy doing just that right now. :D )

(Fully aware of the high probability you’re joking of course. )

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

When I was a kid, we had to spend 150 years building a cathedral then pay a organ builder for 15 years to build the organ into it. My great-great-great grandchildren may have gotten to hear it, but I’ll never know because I succumbed to the plague three generations before it was done.

• edited February 2020

@wim said:
    When I was a kid, we had to spend 150 years building a cathedral then pay a organ builder for 15 years to build the organ into it. My great-great-great grandchildren may have gotten to hear it, but I’ll never know because I succumbed to the plague three generations before it was done.

Is that right? You were lucky. When I was a kid, we were BORN with the plague. We didn't even have pipes for the pipe organs - all we had were rocks. We banged on the rocks and imagined what a pipe organ must sound like...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/54/Four_Yorkshiremen_O2_Arena.jpg/440px-Four_Yorkshiremen_O2_Arena.jpg!

• @wim said:
    Ahh come on @McD thats just stupid. :s
    First, asking for something is not the same as complaining.

I wrote: Sorry. Sometimes the forum just seems like a rich kid that open his birthday present and complains about missing features.

Sometimes complaining is Not the same as asking for something from anyone else.

(See what I did there?)

Second why would anyone not want to have something they paid that much for on all their devices? Third, not everyone has an iPad (though true, not probably if they would pay this much for a single app. )

Don't buy apps that are not universal and slip the dev a clue that you would if it was.

(Fully aware of the high probability you’re joking of course. )

It's so hard to tell, right? In this case I'm just bitching about opening this thread and not learning anything new except that too many ABF members be whiny little pricks. Women do not waste their time here for that and many other reasons with a few notable exceptions.

As always... we seem to learn that we agree and appreciate the opportunity to (dis)agree in the most extreme terms.

OK. Back to some serious Drambo anxiety. I'm really trying to stick with the AGANUS plan.
    In this case, procrastination is saving me even more money. I cheated and tried the new Tube Screamer clone. Still, $4 against a stready spend of $100-200 is progress managing an addiction.

My life kind of went off the rails today and if I go quiet for a bit it's just life intruding on a perfect retirement.

• edited February 2020

Jordan Rudess had some fun with this "Purple Mood" using Hammond B-3X for iPad:

• HEADS UP: The price on April 1 (no joke) is going up. $100 is the intro price.

From https://musicplayers.com/2019/12/ik-multimedia-brings-hammond-b-3x-virtual-instrument-to-ipad/ at the bottom:

Hammond B-3X for iPad is available from the Apple App Store® with a special introductory price of $99.99 through March 2020.

So, if you're on the fence waiting for some future sale that might mean a return to the current $100 price.

Personally, I think you must have a great MIDI controller with drawbars and maybe even 2 controllers to really appreciate the full benefits of this app. For most of us there are less expansive options that are more than good enough using basic controllers and DAW's for input.

But to get a truly portable, complete B3 rig (with Leslie emulation) this is an truly amazing value.

There's one app that is reportedly a better B3 emulator but it's a Mac only emulator with a $400 price tag that also requires a complex MIDI "organ" capable hardware controller.

This is a save your bank and your back software product for working musicians... or people that visualize an audience in their imaginary "concerts" and want to do those Leslie and Drawbar tweaks to show their true mastery. Who's up for a Roland Bass Pedal Board purchase to complete the illusion? You also save the cost of the truck or van to port the damn thing around. It's really a way of life that has gone the way of the baby grand. I get a kick out of seeing the old dogs play (Billy Joel, Elton) these grand pianos with secret Video Displays to serve up their lyric sheets and the sound engine is a digital instrument.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @BCKeys said:

@McD said:
    HEADS UP: The price on April 1 (no joke) is going up. $100 is the intro price.

From https://musicplayers.com/2019/12/ik-multimedia-brings-hammond-b-3x-virtual-instrument-to-ipad/ at the bottom:

Hammond B-3X for iPad is available from the Apple App Store® with a special introductory price of $99.99 through March 2020.

So, if you're on the fence waiting for some future sale that might mean a return to the current $100 price.

@ikmultimedia @Ryan_IK can you confirm, please, and give us the future price applied on April 1st ? I guess it's not a state secret 👀

So the IK Hammond for $50 is something that wont happen ?

That is correct, $99 was intro pricing. $50 Hammond does not seem to be in the immediate future, but we do offer sales from time to time. Make sure to stay up to date with the news letter. https://www.ikmultimedia.com/newsletter/

• @McD : Can you recommend a good midi controller w draw bars? Perhaps the nova toon 49 launchkey ? Actually aren’t there virtual draw bars on this app? Thanks so much for posting this.. I think I’ll get it now as a result
    @ikmultimedia : How would the iRig 49 key Pro work w the app. Is it set/mapped up for it in any way?

• @Telstar5 said:
    @McD : Can you recommend a good midi controller w draw bars? Perhaps the nova toon 49 launchkey ? Actually aren’t there virtual draw bars on this app? Thanks so much for posting this.. I think I’ll get it now as a result
    @ikmultimedia : How would the iRig 49 key Pro work w the app. Is it set/mapped up for it in any way?

Studiologic Numa Organ 2, like a B/C-3 it has 5 octaves, drawbars, and waterfall keys. If money no object one of the Hammond XK keyboards 😬

• @Telstar5 said:
    @McD : Can you recommend a good midi controller w draw bars? Perhaps the nova toon 49 launchkey ? Actually aren’t there virtual draw bars on this app? Thanks so much for posting this.. I think I’ll get it now as a result

Korg Nanokontrol Mk1 (the newer version only has 8 sliders) along with your existing keyboard.
    Unfortunately there aren’t any MIDI controllers with actual drawbars and waterfall keys that don’t cost the earth.

• edited March 2020

@TimRussell : What about Launchkey 49? And the app itself has virtual draw bars, no?

• @Telstar5 said:
    @McD : Can you recommend a good midi controller w draw bars?

I'm leaning towards an Arturia KeyLab Essential 61 Keyboard MIDI Controller Includes Analog Lab software with 6000 synth sounds for the upper keybed and the shorter version for the lower - Arturia Keylab 49 Essential Controller Keyboard.

But we're starting to talk about some serious money... and I'd need to consider a useful way to rack them.

So, I will probably get the B-X3 before it goes up in price and start with an existing Alesis Recital keyboard I have and use
    another little midi keyboard I have collected for the bass "left hand" notes.

But the reality is I could just use Galileo 2 right now and not drop a dime on anything.

My phone is not ringing off the hook... which is good because we don't even have a land-line phone.
    I'd say my iPhone is not buzzing like mad in my pocket... but it really is... spam calls. I get off on the buzzing.

Actually aren’t there virtual draw bars on this app?

Yes. Some set ups use the GUI for drawbars... check out the demo videos.

Thanks so much for posting this.. I think I’ll get it now as a result

I hope you get your Jimmy Smith | John Lord | Brain Auger | Keith Emerson | Joey De Franco ... ON soon.

It's like they were made for each other by ONE company. Well with Suzuki/Hammond keeping it real

• edited March 2020

@McD : Do you have the iRig keys I/o?

• I have the Arturia KeyLab Essential 61 - it is a very nice piece of kit. The keyboard is certainly absolutely fine for organ. I use it for Noire even and it feels good to me. Not as good as others but they cost more...

• Just got it.. A marked difference from anything else on iOS. By far

• I’m wondering if it’s possible to fit replacement drawbar caps onto the slider shafts of your typical midi controller. That would certainly add to the illusion of playing a real organ. I’ve already replaced the plastic knobs of my Novation Impulse with anodised aluminium ones and they do feel rather nice.

• I bought a hammond xb-1 for £99 on ebay and use StreamByter script to convert all the old/weird midi output to B-3x. Fabulous having real drawbars, that I found that I’m now constantly manipulating v’s ipad sliders. It doesn’t have waterfall keys though.

• @rhaley said:
    I bought a hammond xb-1 for £99 on ebay and use StreamByter script to convert all the old/weird midi output to B-3x. Fabulous having real drawbars, that I found that I’m now constantly manipulating v’s ipad sliders. It doesn’t have waterfall keys though.

I use my XK1 as a controller (although its built in sounds are pretty great too) and do the same as you with a StreamByter script for the drawbars. And it does have waterfall keys.

• @rhaley said:
    I bought a hammond xb-1 for £99 on ebay and use StreamByter script to convert all the old/weird midi output to B-3x. Fabulous having real drawbars, that I found that I’m now constantly manipulating v’s ipad sliders. It doesn’t have waterfall keys though.

£99 that is a great buy. Those old Hammond keyboard usually hold their price pretty good.

Because all you have to do is Disable the Leslie sim and put a Ventilator and your gig ready.

• @ecou said:

@rhaley said:

£99 that is a great buy. Those old Hammond keyboard usually hold their price pretty good.

Because all you have to do is Disable the Leslie sim and put a Ventilator and your gig ready.

Yep, used to use a Lester K leslie sim pedal (preferred it to the vent), but as the rest if the rig is iPad based, and once you get used to the B-3x, its hard to go back :-)

• @TimRussell said:

@rhaley said:

I use my XK1 as a controller (although its built in sounds are pretty great too) and do the same as you with a StreamByter script for the drawbars. And it does have waterfall keys.

With the help of Nic at Streambyter, I also got all the buttons midi’d up too

• @Telstar5 said:

The iRig Keys I/O 49 isn't exactly mapped for Hammond B-3X, but they will play nicely together. The different knobs will control the drawbars and the MOD Wheel (Touch sensitive pad) controls the Leslie speed by default. You will also have the nice Program Change Up/Down buttons which will let you switch quickly through presets. Personally, if I were using these two together, I'd probably set each of the pads to be used for MIDI CC to control the Stomp FX as well.

• @rhaley said:

@TimRussell said:

@rhaley said:

With the help of Nic at Streambyter, I also got all the buttons midi’d up too

Oh really?
    I’d love to be able to use the Hammond Leslie buttons to control the Leslie on iOS (currently Galileo - I use a Neo Vent for non iOS stuff) and chorus/vib and percussion. How did you go about that?

• @TimRussell said:
    I’d love to be able to use the Hammond Leslie buttons to control the Leslie on iOS (currently Galileo - I use a Neo Vent for non iOS stuff) and chorus/vib and percussion. How did you go about that?

This is a very general answer that can apply to any controller to app match up.

1. determine the MIDI events the controller is sending with each button on/off event using something like MIDwrench or MIDIspy. I'd expect it outputs MIDI CC codes (CC # + Value) Buttons probably use 0 for Off and 127 for on.

2. connect the controller as a MIDI source to Galileo (or any particular App target generally).

3. Galileo as I recall support configuring incoming MIDI CC (Control codes) for various app functions and I'd expect the Leslie controls to be there.

In some cases some controllers have fixed outputs that don't match what the app needs and Streambyter can help convert the MIDI stream to get the job done. The existing Streambyter script might be perfect or need a simple change of values or CC codes to carry those values.

• Thanks @McD never thought of that!

• @TimRussell said:
    Thanks @McD never thought of that!

That's why this Forum is so great... someone knows the answers and is eager to share details. There's not a lot of
    RTFM or it's in the FAQ responses here where people are punished for not knowing everything and just wanting to
    complain about bugs they have found and how the developer doesn't give a shit and still keeps the money. I've tried other venues and this one has the best balance of knowledge and support for a community. That's why I like to also do a little OT work and get the same benefits.