Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How do you handle your PDFs, texts, links, webpages?

I hate EverNote.
I don't like Notion.
I have problems with DevonThink To Go.
Joplin does not what i need.
KeepIt is also a subscription and can also not do what i need.

What i need?

Some way to save PDFs, texts, links, webpages (webarchives), maybe even mail in a retrievable, tagable, structured way, allowing to organize them and that can be saved / synced encrypted to some online storage and be accessed from all my iOS devices.

DTTG comes closest, but it is mostly some archive of content, it has no good way to access and use stuff or to share content to other Apps.

Anything other out there?

Comments

• I have Notability and I really like it. It’s a little pricey but good app.

• tjatja
    edited December 2019

@Poppadocrock said:
    I have Notability and I really like it. It’s a little pricey but good app.

That's a relative simple note taking App, it cannot really handle thousands of different documents, search and retrieve them. And, it cannot highlight :D ;)
    Have a look at ZoomNotes for something more capable.

As far as i remember, Notability cannot sync to an encrypted storage.

EverNote, Notion and DTTG are different beasts in this regard, but you could probably use all of them to handle Notability documents. Only DTTG offers the mentioned encryption, also Joplin and KeepIt.

• DynaList Pro

It's absolutely fantastic. And customizable.

• @inakarmacoma said:
    DynaList Pro

It's absolutely fantastic. And customizable.

Found https://apps.apple.com/us/app/dynalist/id1195392808?l=en

But no "Pro" ... is this still what you meant?

• The built-in Notes app does a pretty good job of this, but it always seems a bit messy saving PDFs in there.

I’m also looking for something like this.

Another alternative is to just use the files app.

• edited December 2019

Have you looked at Readdle Documents?

• edited December 2019

@ajmiller said:
    Have you looked at Readdle Documents?

I agree. And it has one of the best PDF search tools showing some text surrounding the search results in a list.
    Version 7 has unfortunately crippled the pdf viewer somewhat (no more one-page view and fast skipping through pages by tapping left or right) but I'm in touch with Readdle for possible improvements. Very friendly and communicative guys.

• tjatja
    edited December 2019

Thanks @mistercharlie @ajmiller and @rs2000

But did you possibly only read the subject line?

"Some way to save PDFs, texts, links, webpages (webarchives), maybe even mail in a retrievable, tagable, structured way, allowing to organize them and that can be saved / synced encrypted to some online storage and be accessed from all my iOS devices."

Different types of content, taggable, searchable, and saved encrypted remotely.
    I would never save my stuff remotely without encryption. Cannot even understand why people do this, allowing other people access to their most private things.

As I said, as far as I know, only Devonthink To Go comes near, Joplin cannot do enough, like with KeepIt.

I know of no other App that allows this, but the Files App or Documents sure do not :)

But that may mean, that there is no usable solution out yet.

So I stick with DTTG, even if it has no good way to use the content or share it to Apps, and also it does not support OneDrive.

• Here are a list of Pro features.
    https://help.dynalist.io/category/112-pro-features

The application runs on the web on all machines, and there is an application for Android, iOS, etc.

I've been using it for multiple years, probably more than 10 times a day? You can also talk to the main developer on the forum who is very responsive.

And there are a few highly dedicated users and hackers on the forum who have built out new functionality. For example look up power pack 3 to see the sorts of additions made, including spaced repetition and other sorts.

• @tja said:
    So I stick with DTTG, even if it has no good way to use the content or share it to Apps, and also it does not support OneDrive.

I have been searching for the same thing, for the same reasons, and have come to the same conclusion. I too have "them all". Also on my requirements list is being able to write Markdown, but that too DTTG can do even though it feels a bit...umm...clunky.

If you take a lot of notes, for various reasons (say, meeting notes, shopping lists, to-do-at-home etc), one nifty thing with DTTG though is that you can store assets locally in the actual database when it comes to images and CSS files. This means you can set up templates quite nicely and it will pull assets from the local database (as opposed to someplace online, which isn't always ideal unless you host that place yourself, and are always connected). You can then create your templated thing and send that meeting protocol formatted and nice in PDF format before your colleagues are even back at their desks after their meeting etc.

But yes, I have been looking at various other alternatives too, and I have yet to update my Mac's to the latest version of Devonthink Pro, for the eventuality that I find something else that I'd rather use.

I do use Evernote for work mainly because we use PC's at work, and Outlook seem to be the only e-mail client where I can set up a string of actions where one of the actions involve forwarding an e-mail where you can add stuff to the subject line (such as tags and target notebook). There is also the Scannable app (made by Evernote) for my receipts and stuff, and so Evernote is the only one of these tools that plays as nicely/bad on all platforms (in my case PC, Macs and various iOS devices). I use DTTG for everything else that counts as "private" (i.e "not work), except for tabletop RPG adventure/campaign management which I do in Scrivener, which is really nice for a few of the things on your list, but useless for a bunch of the other things.

• edited December 2019

Yes, I did read your post and I use sync.com which encrypts end to end. I share from Readdle Documents to the sync.com app.
    Not difficult tbh and sync.com is secure, private and they don’t look at your stuff!
    Hope that goes some way to answering your original post but I doubt it!

@tja said:

"Some way to save PDFs, texts, links, webpages (webarchives), maybe even mail in a retrievable, tagable, structured way, allowing to organize them and that can be saved / synced encrypted to some online storage and be accessed from all my iOS devices."

I would never save my stuff remotely without encryption. Cannot even understand why people do this, allowing other people access to their most private things.

As I said, as far as I know, only Devonthink To Go comes near, Joplin cannot do enough, like with KeepIt.

I know of no other App that allows this, but the Files App or Documents sure do not :)

• tjatja
    edited December 2019

Very interesting to read, @hellquist

Sadly, I am Windows-based and cannot even use DevonThink Pro.
    So, I only use DTTG, which could be great with some additions.

But then it seems that there is no real alternative yet, thanks for that!

Nice usage for Scrivenger :)
    I would use Drafts for my text management, but it cannot use files in DTTG, which in turn means no sync folder, no remote encryption. So most of the time I use Textastic and iA Writer instead.

It's a sad world.

• @ajmiller said:
    Yes, I did read your post and I use sync.com which encrypts end to end. I share from Readdle Documents to the sync.com app.
    Not difficult tbh and sync.com is secure, private and they don’t look at your stuff!
    Hope that goes some way to answering your original post but I doubt it!

@tja said:

Many thanks for clarification!

This is the App?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/sync-secure-cloud-storage/id917410266?l=en

They offer the storage themselves. This is not what I want ideally, as I have lots of storage on OneDrive and also on my WebDav server.

Another alternative for you could be Cryptomator!

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/cryptomator/id953086535?l=en

• Check GoodReader

• edited December 2019

Essentially, if you're paranoid about the security of the stuff you store, you cannot trust ANY app that isn't open-source, which you compiled yourself AND read the ENTIRE source code.

That's why for my password manager, I've developed my own encryption algorithm (yes, it may be weaker than "standard" encryption, but it's not terrible and best of all: it's obscure!) and have hidden it inside a different app that is totally unsuspicious, and only entering the correct password into a totally unrelated text input field will unlock the password manager (which "detects" if the correct password was entered by trying to decrypt the database, and only if it's not garbage will it switch to the "password manager" persona. Yeah, crazy stuff. But about my passwords I really AM paranoid! :))

• @audiblevideo said:
    Check GoodReader

Old-time GoodReader fan, but sadly it does not fit the bill.
    Cannot handle stuff or encrypt stuff remotely and i am not even sure that the local password protection really is encryption.

• tjatja
    edited December 2019

@SevenSystems said:
    Essentially, if you're paranoid about the security of the stuff you store, you cannot trust ANY app that isn't open-source, which you compiled yourself AND read the ENTIRE source code.

That's why for my password manager, I've developed my own encryption algorithm (yes, it may be weaker than "standard" encryption, but it's not terrible and best of all: it's obscure!) and have hidden it inside a different app that is totally unsuspicious, and only entering the correct password into a totally unrelated text input field will unlock the password manager (which "detects" if the correct password was entered by trying to decrypt the database, and only if it's not garbage will it switch to the "password manager" persona. Yeah, crazy stuff. But about my passwords I really AM paranoid! :))

Hehe, nice nice.

I used to use KeePass on Windows and later on iOS, but then switched to StrongBox on iOS, which is quite perfect:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/strongbox-keepass-pwsafe/id897283731?l=en

It understands KeePass and PwSafe and can transparently use iCloud and OneDrive (online, changes dont create a new copy).

And yes, it is open source: https://github.com/strongbox-password-safe

No, did not read the code or compile myself :D

• edited December 2019

@tja said:

@audiblevideo said:
    Check GoodReader

Cannot handle stuff or encrypt stuff remotely and i am not even sure that the local password protection really is encryption.

Their encryption (from notes inside the app)
    Simple Password
    Encryption - moderate: selected files and folders
    Encryption - total: security all files and folders

It can Sync. Are you saying the encryption doesn't work, or isn't applied to remote files and sessions?
    (I haven't dug too deep into the app myself)

• @audiblevideo said:

@tja said:

@audiblevideo said:
    Check GoodReader

Their encryption (from notes inside the app)
    Simple Password
    Encryption - moderate: selected files and folders
    Encryption - total: security all files and folders

It can Sync. Are you saying the encryption doesn't work, or isn't applied to remote files and sessions?
    (I haven't dug too deep into the app myself)

Yew, it can sync.
    But from what I understood, the Files are only encrypted on the device and in this manner:

https://goodreader.com/gr-man-general.html#dataprot

• @tja Not sure about encrypted backup but yea you’re right. I will check out ZoomNotes, thanks. I guess I do mostly use notability for lyrics, ideas, song notes, and as a basic word processor...

• >

That's why for my password manager, I've developed...

Bravo :)