Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I'm planning on making a YouTube channel focused mainly on iOS Music production but...(EDIT)

I'm not much of a professional. I know a bit about music but not the technical terminology of stuff. I'm planning on approaching from the perspective of someone who's starting out but has some knowledge, and simply wants to get things done.

Any recommendations on video length, studio setup, editing templates on Luma Fusion, video layout or general tips that could help? Should I just focus on my desk like "The Sound Test Room", or do a mix similar to Nutrix/Henny/Pete Johns?

Also, what do you want to see in an iOS Youtuber or what type of content appeals to you. Gathering feedback to help make a plan of tackling music production.

Also, I find my voice a little "whiny " - kinda like a synthesizer that has been set to the "saw wave" preset sound. Should I go with this, or any ideas on how to balance this.

Thanks again for reading this.

/#SEONN (Sam)

Edit:
Posted my first video. Was an interesting experience putting everything together. Please let me hear your thoughts. -

Comments

• Keep them within ten minutes at the beginning.
    Everyone and I do say everyone waffles at the
    beginning until they get their wings.

Expect criticism and generally listen to the positive stuff.

Develop your own style, it will encourage beginners to do the same.

Include even your phaff's and bloopers.
    Beginners always plug things in the wrong way.
    I know many a ,'pro', engineer who has forgotten to press record.

Other than that looking forward to seeing your perspective.

• I suggest avoiding making your channel genre-specific. See if you can show how the technology can be useful for those creating hip-hop, acid, ambient, straight-up rock, whatever.

So many channels highlight their particular style to such an extent that I find it difficult to get past that esthetic.

• As far as the first sentence in your second paragraph goes, I highly recommend Primal Video with Justin Brown. Hundreds of great how-to videos on all the things you mentioned.

• 👍> @kgmessier said:

I suggest avoiding making your channel genre-specific. See if you can show how the technology can be useful for those creating hip-hop, acid, ambient, straight-up rock, whatever.

So many channels highlight their particular style to such an extent that I find it difficult to get past that esthetic.

• edited December 2019

I would enjoy watching a video diary of somebody learning various creative things**

**So long as they didn’t ask me to like and subscribe to the channel or show me lots of adverts!

• Focus on “how to...” and get right to it. Talk less, show more.

• Keep it short, keep it focused. Ten minutes is pretty long for most people to pay attention to these days on YouTube. Reviews maybe a bit longer if you keep it rolling.

Research what you're talking about ahead of time so you're not dragging the viewer through you trying to figure out how to work the gear. Drives me CRAZY when people are doing tutorials or reviews of gear when it's obvious they themselves barely know how to use it.

On a related note, you don't have to be the first one with a review or tutorial for gear x,y,z. Take the time to learn what you're talking about, if you can demonstrate that you actually use the gear for your own music making, it resonates more with people.

Another pet peeve, wipe off or dust your gear before you start filming. No one wants to see a close up of all the cat hair on your synth or hundreds of your fingerprints on the glass screen.

I find it's useful to create a broad bullet point list of the topics I want to talk about in my videos, and then just casually go through that. Trying to stick to a script or too tight of a timeline can backfire. Likewise, don't make it seem like you're just reading from a prompter or piece of paper behind the camera.

Relax, be you, don't worry about your voice or anything like that. You WILL get negative comments now and then, especially when you're first starting out. Take the advice with a grain of salt, but don't dismiss it entirely they might have a good point and you can learn from it. If not, ignore it and move on. You could literally solve world peace for only $1.99 and some people would still bitch about it. :)

Everyone wants to make money and get more subscribers, but pushing that side of things too hard is off-putting. Do a quick plug for your channel at the end, but don't spend 30 seconds every episode trying to sell a book or get 1000+ more subscribers. Focus on the content of the video and those things will happen naturally.

• @Tarekith said:
    Keep it short, keep it focused. Ten minutes is pretty long for most people to pay attention to these days on YouTube. Reviews maybe a bit longer if you keep it rolling.

Research what you're talking about ahead of time so you're not dragging the viewer through you trying to figure out how to work the gear. Drives me CRAZY when people are doing tutorials or reviews of gear when it's obvious they themselves barely know how to use it.

On a related note, you don't have to be the first one with a review or tutorial for gear x,y,z. Take the time to learn what you're talking about, if you can demonstrate that you actually use the gear for your own music making, it resonates more with people.

Another pet peeve, wipe off or dust your gear before you start filming. No one wants to see a close up of all the cat hair on your synth or hundreds of your fingerprints on the glass screen.

I find it's useful to create a broad bullet point list of the topics I want to talk about in my videos, and then just casually go through that. Trying to stick to a script or too tight of a timeline can backfire. Likewise, don't make it seem like you're just reading from a prompter or piece of paper behind the camera.

Relax, be you, don't worry about your voice or anything like that. You WILL get negative comments now and then, especially when you're first starting out. Take the advice with a grain of salt, but don't dismiss it entirely they might have a good point and you can learn from it. If not, ignore it and move on. You could literally solve world peace for only $1.99 and some people would still bitch about it. :)

Everyone wants to make money and get more subscribers, but pushing that side of things too hard is off-putting. Do a quick plug for your channel at the end, but don't spend 30 seconds every episode trying to sell a book or get 1000+ more subscribers. Focus on the content of the video and those things will happen naturally.

+1

• Have fun, blow your own mind with something you learned.

• You can make your videos a much better watching experience by doing what youtuber "loopop" does: In his videos, he usually shows a little index with starting times so users can not only to the section they're interested in but also see at a glance if the video covers topics they actually want to know.
    Also, I prefer videos that don't skip the tiny but interesting details - users not only want to learn what an iPad is, but often they welcome tipps and tricks they didn't know before.
    If you want to keep the vids short, you can create separate videos with more detail covered.

• @Tarekith said:
    Research what you're talking about ahead of time so you're not dragging the viewer through you trying to figure out how to work the gear.

Another pet peeve, wipe off or dust your gear before you start filming.

These two points, to me, are huge. You need to realize your audience expects something pristine even if yours is a fly-by-night operation. It’s just the nature of the spoiled populous.

• @kgmessier said:

@Tarekith said:
    Research what you're talking about ahead of time so you're not dragging the viewer through you trying to figure out how to work the gear.

Another pet peeve, wipe off or dust your gear before you start filming.

These two points, to me, are huge. You need to realize your audience expects something pristine even if yours is a fly-by-night operation. It’s just the nature of the spoiled populous.

It’s the other way round with me. I don’t trust it if it’s too clean, too unused, too new. To have credibility it should have the air of being in use, have the dents and dings of something that’s performed duty, have the aesthetic of realism and scuffs and worn corners. Otherwise it seems like some fake smile salesperson is advertising something at me, and who would want that? It should be believable, therefore it should be like everyone else’s actual situation, not some fictional dream-time scenario surrounded by luxurious plethora of every desirable everything with no constraints.

• Yea a quick outline about what’s covered with time stamps wold be cool. Basic features, but maybe some creative use cases as well. Presets, sounds and how many.

I usually wanna know a few things other than price... they are in no particular order

1. what type of sounds/instruments (ie Organ, Piano, etc) or function (ie loop, sequencer) does the app provide
    2. The quality of those sounds
    3. presets (how many, how good, random patch creation, more patches to download, IAP)
    4. does Patch/Preset file manager have categories, folders, easy to find or save patch you want.
    5. GUI - easy to grasp or complex, clean, color, button size, etc.
    6. Connectivity & Usage - AUv3, IAA, Audiobus, Stand-alone, midi in, midi out, core midi, etc.
    7. Ram, DSP, or CPU - I love apps that are light on resources.
    8. Developer - proven record, 1st app, etc... other apps by the developer
    9. Updates - does the app get updated with new and improved abilities or is it abandonware
    10. Reviews - What people are saying on App Store, in AB Forum, Youtube videos, etc.

Typically my main concerns are.... is there a lot of presets, how do they sound, is it AUv3 and is it light on CPU.

Clean, concise, easy to understand info is always great.

• edited December 2019

@Gravitas said:
    Keep them within ten minutes at the beginning.
    Everyone and I do say everyone waffles at the
    beginning until they get their wings.

Expect criticism and generally listen to the positive stuff.

Develop your own style, it will encourage beginners to do the same.

Thanks for the response. These points especially resonated with me the most and I appreciate it.

@Clam and @rs2000 Thanks for the tips.

@realdawei said:
    Focus on “how to...” and get right to it. Talk less, show more.

Very true.> @BlueGreenSpiral said:

I would enjoy watching a video diary of somebody learning various creative things**

**So long as they didn’t ask me to like and subscribe to the channel or show me lots of adverts!

How many adverts is feasible in a YouTube video of 7-8 mins? Because I'd want to be able to get some apps that are both cost effective, but practical.

@Tarekith said:
    Keep it short, keep it focused...(...)

Wow. Thanks for the post. Didn't want to requote it but it was really detailed. I'll use it in making choices for my channel.

• Don't say "Hello everyone" at the start of the video. And don't talk about unrelated, or even related, stuff at the beginning. Just get to it!

• @Samflash3

You're welcome.

Looking forward to seeing your new channel.

• Be consistent unlike me!! Hehe

• Try to be brief in your videos. If I see a 30 minute video I'm only going to watch it when I have some downtime. 8 minutes on the other hand... that's a coffee break.

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    Hello Everybody

😂😂😂

• @Samflash3 said:
    I'm not much of a professional. I know a bit about music but not the technical terminology of stuff. I'm planning on approaching from the perspective of someone who's starting out but has some knowledge, and simply wants to get things done.

Any recommendations on video length, studio setup, editing templates on Luma Fusion, video layout or general tips that could help? Should I just focus on my desk like "The Sound Test Room", or do a mix similar to Nutrix/Henny/Pete Johns?

Also, what do you want to see in an iOS Youtuber or what type of content appeals to you. Gathering feedback to help make a plan of tackling music production.

Also, I find my voice a little "whiny " - kinda like a synthesizer that has been set to the "saw wave" preset sound. Should I go with this, or any ideas on how to balance this.

Thanks again for reading this.

SEONN (Sam)

Concise ..and know your subject. Nothing worse that watching somebody erm and err over something they haven’t a clue about.
    Don’t overuse the “we’ll get to that later” BS.
    No you won’t cause I’m switching off :D

• I'd add one that personally drives me insane: cameras that aren't focus-locked on the screen surface. Nothing causes me to move on more quickly than the focus following the presenter's hands rather than clearly showing the work surface.

• edited December 2019

@sch yes, I remember you mentioning that about my videos, I took your advice and now all my videos, including the Live Streams are all focus locked and have been for over a year, I also totally agree that bad focus is a terrible thing

• encenc
    edited December 2019

edit

• Maybe it is more time consuming but I’d say don’t be afraid of post editing. It doesn’t have to be all in one take. Specially if something doesn’t go as you expected.

Storyboards, a clear idea of what you want to convey/show.

Don’t say “it is an awesome app”, or “you need this app” or “this is one of the best synths out there”. Show it to me and let me decide if I need it or not.

I personally don’t mind long videos as long as they are informative. Loopop, already mentioned, is one of the bests IMO.

Those were my 5 cents as a viewer.

• @thesoundtestroom said:
    @sch yes, I remember you mentioning that about my videos, I took your advice and now all my videos, including the Live Streams are all focus locked and have been for over a year, I also totally agree that bad focus is a terrible thing

@thesoundtestroom Yeah, Doug, I noticed that and it did make a huge difference, mate!

• @musgo said:
    Maybe it is more time consuming but I’d say don’t be afraid of post editing. It doesn’t have to be all in one take. Specially if something doesn’t go as you expected.

+1, too much chaff makes me switch off almost immediately.

• be honest.. don't say that something is great because you got it for free..
    • get a good camera..
    • be genuine.. just be yourself..
  • I'd recommend giving a taste of the end-result at the very beginning. It helps viewers know where they are going AND if it will be worthwhile sticking around to watch.

• edited December 2019

If there’s one thing you should take from this thread it’s that you won’t be able to please everybody.

There’s some great advice here, so take on board what you can, but at the end of the day you should just focus on what you’re interested in.