Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Midi problem - file overwriting synth presets

edited December 2019 in Support and Feedback

I have been encountering a midi issue I can’t figure out. I’m fairly new to midi so Its probably something pretty straightforward
but I have been having a hard time phrasing the problem in a forum or google search. Here is what’s happening:

I bought Chordbot recently and made a few simple progressions.

I have exported the Chordbot progressions as MIDI files to Cubasis2 and Xequence (on both iPad and iPhone) and from there output to an external synth.

Sending to both ‘Zeeon’ and ‘KQ Dixie’ this thing happens where after one bar plays the synth resets to a certain preset ( in Zeeon it was preset 2 and I believe it was the same in KQ though I need to check.
I can change the presets or any knobs in the synth and I’ll hear it for a moment and then it resets again after the bar. So annoying. I could not figure this out last night.

I have imported midi from Suggester as well as sending midi I laid down in other places and never had this issue.

I am pretty sure it’s something with the Chordbot midi files. Can midi have data written into it that would tell the synth to “reset to x preset” and if so how do I remove that?

I should add the midi was from “instrument 2” in Chordbot

And I only mentioned Zeeon and KQ Incase it’s helpful but I am sure this would happen in any app

Thanks in advance

Comments

• @LowMoses said:
    I have been encountering a midi issue I can’t figure out. I’m fairly new to midi so Its probably something pretty straightforward
    but I have been having a hard time phrasing the problem in a forum or google search. Here is what’s happening:

I have exported the Chordbot progressions as MIDI files to Cubasis2 and Xequence (on both iPad and iPhone) and from there output to an external synth.

Sending to both ‘Zeeon’ and ‘KQ Dixie’ this thing happens where after one bar plays the synth resets to a certain preset ( in Zeeon it was preset 2 and I believe it was the same in KQ though I need to check.
    I can change the presets or any knobs in the synth and I’ll hear it for a moment and then it resets again after the bar. So annoying. I could not figure this out last night.

I have imported midi from Suggester as well as sending midi I laid down in other places and never had this issue.

I am pretty sure it’s something with the Chordbot midi files. Can midi have data written into it that would tell the synth to “reset to x preset” and if so how do I remove that?

And I only mentioned Zeeon and KQ Incase it’s helpful but I am sure this would happen in any app

Thanks in advance

Midi has program change messages that tell a synth which program number to play.

• @espiegel123 said:

@LowMoses said:

Thanks in advance

Midi has program change messages that tell a synth which program number to play.

From the Chordbot 3 manual:

Export GM instrument map
    If this option is enabled Chordbot will add MIDI Program Change (PC) messages corresponding to the somewhat archaic General MIDI (GM) instrument mapping standard at the start of each exported MIDI track. This will enable GM compatible synthesizers to play Chordbot songs with the same instrumentation as in the app without any extra configuration.
    Unfortunately these messages can confuse many modern soft-synthesizers and cause unwanted patch changes. If this happens with the synth you are using just disable this option and export the song again.
    Default: On

• @rs2000 hey thanks, that is strange I looked through the manual and settings (only a few setting options- hard to miss anything) and I didn’t see this.

Yea, Just went back and checked again and no “GM instrument” mentioned. I also never saw anything calling it Chordbot 3 in the app or AppStore but going to dig deeper.

Thanks, I know what the issue is now. Had gotten a bit further with @espiegel123 giving me the term “program changes” ...Gotta learn somehow. I appreciate it

• Incase anyone else comes across this who has the app and can shed some light. As far as I can tell this is the whole settings menu.

Also the app doesn’t show up in the “general” settings menu on iPad

• wimwim
    edited December 2019

• @LowMoses said:

Incase anyone else comes across this who has the app and can shed some light. As far as I can tell this is the whole settings menu.

Also the app doesn’t show up in the “general” settings menu on iPad

Oops. Maybe I've accidentally picked the wrong manual and the developer has forgot to remove this functionality from the iOS version?
    I would suggest to get in touch with her/him, most likely there's nothing you can do about it (except a few hacks with MIDI filters).

• @rs2000 You had the correct manual (far as I can tell) I went back and found the spot you quoted, I had missed that in my first pass of the manual. The settings menu does not reflect what is in the manual.

Emailed developer. Going to look into some of those midi hacks...or more likely just move on with my life and keep using Suggester which I like better even if the chordbot midi was useable.