Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Soundcloud consensus?

Right. So Soundcloud, for which I currently have a free subscription, has a "30% off" that ends soon. Apparently they have backed on the previously communicated limitation of "15 files for free". How many in here has "Pro"? Is it worth it? What do you get for it? Should I? I kind of upload 4 tunes/year, but I am also about to finish my current project which will be another 4-6 tunes soon-ish.

Then again, Soundcloud "free" sort of competes with my Bandcamp. Why would anyone purchase tunes on bandcamp if they are freely available on Soundcloud? Not that monetising on the tunes is my main concern, but still...

And where do the "other" services stand in comparison to Soundcloud, these days? artistco.com etc...which I also have account on, but that is mainly sucking in my Soundcloud tunes and put them on different subscription layers. The idea is not bad, as it is a combination between Youtube, Soundcloud and Patreon, but then again, I haven't seen it really "kick off" and it doesn't seem to be widely used...

Which brings me back to Soundcloud Pro...should I? Or should I not bother? Stay on "free" and use it for marketing (at most)? Or go all in?

Comments

• Bandcamp.

Easy

• edited December 2019

soundcloud has been dying a slow death for a while now. I personally would recommend against going "all in" unless there's a specific reason to do so. money would be better spent on distrokid or something like that

+1 for Bandcamp. infinitely better

• I had Pro a year ago.. Then stopped it.. It’s unlimited track to upload on Pro (I did have over 800 tracks on it).... But I stopped when the Record Label told me that DJ’s can stream your track for free on Soundcloud now (this was a year ago Mind).. Using either Traktor DJ or Serato software.. Which would damage sales of your song.. Why pay for it, in there set, when they are getting paid to play your tracks for free.. Also, why pay 80 euros, or so a year when you not getting anything back from it... Stick with free version, but also go with Bandcamp too. At least with Bandcamp there is a possibility to get a little revenue back from it.. The other alternative with SC, that you could put your tracks in Private folder, but what’s the point spending all that money a year when knowone will see it.. Stick with free version, also, don’t put out complete tracks.. 2 to 3 min long version (snippet) will be enough to attract Labels if it’s good enough... But at the end of the day, it’s your decision?... Just letting you know from my end with working with various Labels..

• I did the Pro thing earlier this year but can’t really see much benefit. They sell the ‘stats’ as a bonus but I’m not that ‘career-minded’ musically to be that bothered and very rarely look at them. I did have one track that seemed to be on permanent replay somewhere in the world and one track that was played hundreds of times - compared to the rest, a minor miracle! I sort of kidded myself that I wanted to support the developers but tbh the way they push the next level of subscription on top of the one I already purchased is starting to wind me up. I won’t be renewing my subscription.

• edited December 2019

Too many fake accounts, bots and Russian mail order brides. Can't trust the stats, very much a pay to play environment. Facebook style endless feed encourages users to churn out new stuff to stay relevant or get forgotten. The player always broken. Nothing but hate for SC. Bandcamp and Youtube is where I look post and seek out indie content.

• J> @LucidMusicInc said:

Too many fake accounts, bots and Russian mail order brides. Can't trust the stats, very much a pay to play environment. Facebook style endless feed encourages users to churn out new stuff to stay relevant or get forgotten. The player always broken. Nothing but hate for SC. Bandcamp and Youtube is where I look post and seek out indie content.

Totally agree.. I had Russian Mail Order Brides once too... Special Offer!!!... “Buy One, get Mum Free!”.... :D

• encenc
    edited December 2019

What is the purpose of your uploads..To sell your tunes or to promote you as an artist?

If it’s the latter then you can’t go wrong with youtube. It’s free, audio quality is acceptable if just promoting your track, you can choose to add video or a blank backdrop but most importantly, potential audience... everybody and their dog has heard of and knows how to receive YouTube.

• Thanks all for insights and wisdom. I have concluded I shall not be going for the pro subscription.
    Yes, I release all my music to "all platforms" via Distrokid already, and I also put it on Bandcamp for the "non-streamers". So far I have posted a couple of them on YouTube too, but also, all of them have been "freely available" on Soundcloud, which means the incentive to purchase is low. I shall look into doing taster-clips and put them on Soundcloud instead I think.

My main target is not to sell to become rich and famous, but so far my streams/purchases lead to money that I can re-invest into apps, and having a self-sustained hobby, which is a nice change compared to how it was a couple of years ago.

It is a shame artistco.com didn't turn in to a viable alternative to the several services they try to compete with. I don't know how many who are on the service, but it doesn't feel...umm...vibrant, inspiring and alive, but instead rather tired and desperate.

I shall be sticking to the services I have and use them better I think.

Thanks all for input.

• My aim is definitely to become rich and famous